Hands/arms versus Body/Pivot feeling players

I have decided that I am a hands/arm swing only thought player.

I can't tell you how many different instruction videos or even tour pros I have where instructors say they have passive hands/arms(like they don't feel them at all) and all they concentrate on is rotating hard...

Then there are the many different instructors that basically say the opposite that hands/arms are what you should be thinking about and the body rotation will happen automatically and support the hands/arms swinging.

I feel like there's no wrong or right answer here, I think its just how different people perceive the golfswing.

I myself have to actually consciously feel like I am only swinging with my hands/arms otherwise I get everything stuck way behind my pivot. I get 160-165 ballspeed with ONLY thinking about swinging with my arms. 

I have tried the whole "passive arms" turn and burn type stuff and it just doesn't work for me. I lose all face control and speed.

Do we think there are 2 categories of players? Is 1 perception wrong and one right? 

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are infinite amounts of feelings for a players to do something. Most good players generally move things in a similar manner, however each persons feeling or perception of that movement can be co

Neither is moreright than the other. If you are all turn and the arms lag then you need to get faster with the arms...sync up   If you're all arms then you need to get faster with the turn..

I have decided that I am a hands/arm swing only thought player.   I can't tell you how many different instruction videos or even tour pros I have where instructors say they have passive hand

11 minutes ago, Three_Jack said:

I can't tell you how many different instruction videos or even tour pros I have where instructors say they have passive hands/arms(like they don't feel them at all) and all they concentrate on is rotating hard...

Then there are the many different instructors that basically say the opposite that hands/arms are what you should be thinking about and the body rotation will happen automatically and support the hands/arms swinging.

I feel like there's no wrong or right answer here, I think its just how different people perceive the golfswing.

I myself have to actually consciously feel like I am only swinging with my hands/arms otherwise I get everything stuck way behind my pivot. I get 160-165 ballspeed with ONLY thinking about swinging with my arms. 

I have tried the whole "passive arms" turn and burn type stuff and it just doesn't work for me. I lose all face control and speed.

Do we think there are 2 categories of players? Is 1 perception wrong and one right? 

I don’t actually think about the arms, and am more of the passive arm feel category.

Obviously, the arms are far from passive.

if you’re able to swing well and consistently with 165mph ball speeds, it seems like you know what’s correct?

Just now, Lincoln_Arcadia said:

I don’t actually think about the arms, and am more of the passive arm feel category.

Obviously, the arms are far from passive.

if you’re able to swing well and consistently with 165mph ball speeds, it seems like you know what’s correct?

For me, trying the whole "Burn and turn" type thought was about continuous improvement. Have I reached my cap with just feeling a monte's cast type move? That's really what drove me into a year of stagnant golf.

But now, I feel like I should really just "swing my swing" and keep making subtle adjustments and not totally try to retain my brain by trying to have "passive arms"

Also, Montes video where he swings like 90% as fast on his knees versus standing also gave me confidence to just stick with what I am doing.

• Like 1

The trick is blending the arm motion with the hip motion.  Some people need to think about their hips to do it, some need to think about their arms.  I have to think about my arms, otherwise I'll leave them up in the air and do bad things in my downswing trying to hit the ball.  Personally I have to feel my arms move almost vertical in my swing, so to start the downswing I move them down towards the ground, and my hips just turn.  

2 minutes ago, naval2006 said:

The only problem with the hand/arm based swing is that sometimes you get too comfortable and there's no engagement of the body during the swing.  So you need to be always on the lookout.  

The engagement of my lower body comes from going after it.  Just like I don't have to think about my lower body when I want to throw a baseball to the outfield.  It just happens.  

• Like 1

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

UT:  Callaway X Forged UT 21' 18*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 4i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5

I didn't even know how armsy my swing was until I took a few lessons. And I was getting close to 170 ball speed on a regular basis (miss was a quacker). Now all I really think about is turning my hips in the backswing and it feels like it takes me a lot less effort to generate the same amount of power. I'm still super inconsistent with the new move, but when it's good it's really good. 

2 hours ago, Three_Jack said:

There are infinite amounts of feelings for a players to do something. Most good players generally move things in a similar manner, however each persons feeling or perception of that movement can be completely different. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, trilerian said:

The trick is blending the arm motion with the hip motion.  Some people need to think about their hips to do it, some need to think about their arms.  I have to think about my arms, otherwise I'll leave them up in the air and do bad things in my downswing trying to hit the ball.  Personally I have to feel my arms move almost vertical in my swing, so to start the downswing I move them down towards the ground, and my hips just turn.  

The engagement of my lower body comes from going after it.  Just like I don't have to think about my lower body when I want to throw a baseball to the outfield.  It just happens.  

Excellent

• Like 1

I swear it's just moving the hands/arms fast and unencumbered through impact. Some people can do it by feeling like they turn hard and sling their arms through, others need to fire the arms to match a body turn. If it's not matched up you start slowing things down or getting in the way, that's when it gets ugly quick. 

TSi3
Mavrik SZ

PXG 0341 21*
MP20 MMC 4 Iron
MP20 MB 5-W
Raw Callaway 52*

SM8 56* F

SM8 60* T
Special Select Newport 2

Neither is moreright than the other. If you are all turn and the arms lag then you need to get faster with the arms...sync up

If you're all arms then you need to get faster with the turn...sync up

Get it?

Get superspeed sticks. Swing the heavy one...that's body turn

Then swing the light one...that's arms.

Now combine them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel as though I'm more of a rotational player.  I start the downswing by rotating hard with my hips.  I let my arms drop in the slot naturally and the rest is history.  As for hands, they are active perhaps even over active. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

10 hours ago, trilerian said:

I meant to comment on the downside of the armsy swing when a player is off from a personal point of view.  In my case I've tried to add a bit more of salt and pepper with lower body to that type of swing which was very efficient until a few years ago (when I was younger and more athletic LOL).