$3,000 bag versus lessons ?

Will a 15 handicap player shoot lower scores and, or, enjoy the game more if he spends $1,500 on his bag of clubs plus another $1,500 on a dozen lessons and lots of practice range balls? Or, will he get more enjoyment by spending $3,000 on his gear and nothing in the way of technique instruction or practice ?

* both of the above options assume that the clubs fit the player reasonably well.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This question could only come up on this forum.

This is GolfWRX the only answer is to spend $3000 on the bag. 

True enlightenment comes from buying multiple sets of irons and driver shafts, constantly getting on launch monitors to test, finally getting frustrating and saying f*** it, selling it all on classifi

Posted Images

Depends on the goal, to me enjoyment comes from playing better so I would say the lessons provide the best chance of doing that, especially for a 15 handicap. 

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist TSi3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 3-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 Raw 47-07 PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54* S PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 60* M PX 6.0
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol 1.0

Split it 50/50.  A 15 handicap can def get down to single digits.  It's a matter of good instruction, practice and properly fitted clubs. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Tensei 1k 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2021 at 11:24 AM, Fairway14 said:

Will a 15 handicap player shoot lower scores and, or, enjoy the game more if he spends $1,500 on his bag of clubs plus another $1,500 on a dozen lessons and lots of practice range balls? Or, will he get more enjoyment by spending $3,000 on his gear and nothing in the way of technique instruction or practice ?

* both of the above options assume that the clubs fit the player reasonably well.

Personally, I believe the investment in lessons and gear will be more enjoyable than just the expensive gear itself.  Sure, you may have an initial good feeling about all of the new gear you just bought, but once you hit the course and are not hitting it well then that initial enjoyment will fade very quickly.  Whereas, good instruction and practice along with well fitted clubs, IMHO, is the better option vs a gear only approach. 

Edited by Sons_of_Pitches
  • Like 1

DRIVER - PING G425 SFT @ 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G425 SFT 16* @14.5* and 19* @17.5*

HYBRIDS - PXG 0317 X GEN2 19*/22*

IRONS - T200 [6i-GW]

WEDGES - CLEVELAND RTX ZIPCORE 52.10 / 56.10 / 60.10

PUTTER - 2018 SCOTTY CAMERON SELECT FASTBACK

PXG 0317 X

Lessons, for sure.  Only place that it is debatable is with the putter.  While lessons + practice + confidence would be best, practice + confidence can be more impactful than lessons.  You can putt well with almost any technique as long as it is repeatable and you trust it.  If shelling out for a pricey putter changes your mindset so that you WANT to practice putting and puts you in a place where you are walking to the green excited to make a putt rather than anxious to miss a putt, it could be worth it.

For a mental midget like myself, a circle T that has 3 zeros at the end of the price would just make me nervous about the optics of going out there and putting poorly with such a luxury item.  I'd feel pressure to live up to the expectations set by the putter so to speak.  YMMV 

Callaway Epic Max 9* w/ Mitsubishi MMT 60S

Titleist 917 F2 16.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 70S

Ping G410 Hybrid 22* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Srixon z585 4I w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Srixon z785 5-P w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 50*, 54*, 58* w/ DG Tour Issue S400

Seemore Si3

Titleist Pro V1x

From the perspective of improving one's scores, this isn't even remotely debatable. Lessons are several orders of magnitude more beneficial than gear.

However, there is a segment of golfers who are so obsessed with gear that having anything other than what they perceive as "the best" will always gnaw away at them and they won't enjoy the game as much until they have that setup. However, the truth is that these gear freaks will never truly be happy with their gear as they're chasing the end of the rainbow.

• Like 1

For most there is no need but that's about what it would cost to get a whole bag with proper fitting/shafts/etc. especially if you are getting anything upgraded. I'm looking at drivers and that alone is looking to set me back $800+. 

Mizuno MP-20 3-9 PX 6.5

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, jj9000 said:

You're doing it wrong.

Justify this? I spent around the same on my current driver and have played it for 4 years. I could certainly find one cheaper but I don't imagine it would perform quite as well as this one has. 

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf
  • Like 1

Mizuno MP-20 3-9 PX 6.5

3 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

Justify this? I spent around the same on my current driver and have played it for 4 years. I could certainly find one cheaper but I don't imagine it would perform quite as well as this one has. 

What's driving the need to change Drivers?  If the 917 w/Kiyoshi Black works, why jack with it?

BTW...I'm pretty sure Rose is still bagging a 2017 M1.  Technology hasn't revolutionized equipment in the last 5 years.  .830 COR is still .830 COR.  Face hotness is maxed out.  New bells and whistles are just Marketing.

Take a look at Finch's or Shiels' YouTube channels on Drivers over the last 5 years.  There's minimal (almost non-existent) gains YoY.

It looks like you're a good enough ball-striker to understand what you like/dislike in a shaft (both Irons and Driver).  Spend $10 for a yearly sub to golfshaftreviews.com ... and find a profile that fits your Iron/Driver shaft taste.

You can put together a Driver as good as that 917 w/Kiyoshi for much less than $800...that is...unless you want a new Driver (which is a totally different discussion).

• Like 1

My whole bag including bag is under $700. It would retail for quote a bit more, but I bought a lot of NOS parts. 

You could do it for a grand and have enough left over for 2 dozen lessons 

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged Blade 4, 5, 7-PW

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

I personally went the route of getting cheap but decent used clubs that were ballpark flexes etc that matched me and I'm investing in lessons. Once I have a consistent swing, speed and shot shape from lessons and playing a lot I plan on upgrading my bad. I went from a 30 handicap at the beginning of last year to 18 currently.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Fairway14 said:

Who knows what gives one person enjoyment compared to another person. So I’m going with, depends on the person. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jj9000 said:

What's driving the need to change Drivers?  If the 917 w/Kiyoshi Black works, why jack with it?

BTW...I'm pretty sure Rose is still bagging a 2017 M1.  Technology hasn't revolutionized equipment in the last 5 years.  .830 COR is still .830 COR.  Face hotness is maxed out.  New bells and whistles are just Marketing.

Take a look at Finch's or Shiels' YouTube channels on Drivers over the last 5 years.  There's minimal (almost non-existent) gains YoY.

It looks like you're a good enough ball-striker to understand what you like/dislike in a shaft (both Irons and Driver).  Spend $10 for a yearly sub to golfshaftreviews.com ... and find a profile that fits your Iron/Driver shaft taste.

You can put together a Driver as good as that 917 w/Kiyoshi for much less than $800...that is...unless you want a new Driver (which is a totally different discussion).

I don't disagree with most of this but it's a different argument. My driver works great so replacing it is a mixture of just wanting one and chasing a little more distance/accuracy at the margins, the TSi3 is what I'm looking at and while it isn't miles better it is a little better. I know what profiles suit me but I'm not looking to tinker, just want one that works. But the price tag is why the 917 is still my gamer. 

My larger point was $3000 isn't some outlandish number, it adds up quick. I still wouldn't recommend going that route in regards to the OP though. 

• Like 2

Mizuno MP-20 3-9 PX 6.5

Posted (edited)

equipment is overrated as long as what you have isn't completely inferior.  lessons and practice/play are far more important.  I don't know if you need to spend $3k though.  take a lesson, practice and play a bunch...repeat once a month.  After a year of that then look at adjusting/upgrading your equipment perhaps.  Make sure your irons and wedges have the right shafts and lie angles though.   

btw, doesn't Rick Shiels have a video where a pro uses a $100 set of clubs and shoots 1 under for 9?  🙂

Edited by B_of_H

TS3 9.5 @ 10.25 Hzrdus smoke black 60g 6.5 (C4 setting)

TS2 15* Hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 (A1 setting)
TS3 18 degree @ 17.25 hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 (D1 setting)
P790 UDI 18* (KBS tour 130x)

818h2 19* @ 20* (ck blue 80x at 39.5) 16g neutral, c3 setting

TS3 21* 23* KBS Tour 130x at 38.5" (A3 setting)
Mizuno MP18 (7-Pw), SC (5-6), MMC (4) (KBS tour 130x)

Vokey sm8 50/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm8 56/14 at 55, 60/8 KBS $ taper HT 125
1995 Scotty Cameron by Titleist Newport 35"/ Cameron Futura 6m

2 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

I don't disagree with most of this but it's a different argument. My driver works great so replacing it is a mixture of just wanting one and chasing a little more distance/accuracy at the margins, the TSi3 is what I'm looking at and while it isn't miles better it is a little better. I know what profiles suit me but I'm not looking to tinker, just want one that works. But the price tag is why the 917 is still my gamer. 

My larger point was $3000 isn't some outlandish number, it adds up quick. I still wouldn't recommend going that route in regards to the OP though. 

How about JJ buys and uses clubs he wants, and TLU buys and uses the clubs he wants?! People are different. This whole proclaiming, if you do it like this “it’s wrong” is kinda silly. As they say “you do you.”

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
Posted (edited)

Sorry Bulldog, I was actually making an effort to defend your position. You said you were spending $800 something on a driver and I read JJ say “you’re doing it wrong.” My point was I think people should play whatever makes them happy. I’m only on my 2nd cup of coffee and perhaps didn’t read or comprehend all the posts completely! Haha

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, TiScape said:

How about JJ buys and uses clubs he wants, and TLU buys and uses the clubs he wants?! People are different. This whole proclaiming, if you do it like this “it’s wrong” is kinda silly. As they say “you do you.”

Ironic post is ironic.

I'm doing me.

He's doing him.

Yet, TiScape comes in and tells us how we should do things.

Again...ironic post is ironic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1