$3,000 bag versus lessons ?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This question could only come up on this forum.

This is GolfWRX the only answer is to spend $3000 on the bag. 

True enlightenment comes from buying multiple sets of irons and driver shafts, constantly getting on launch monitors to test, finally getting frustrating and saying f*** it, selling it all on classifi

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Jeff58 said:

Driver $550

FW $300

Hybrid $250

Irons 4-PW $1250

3 Wedges $450

Putter $250

Bag $200

5 dozen balls $250

Range finder $300

4 Gloves $100

$3900

Plus shoes, clothing, trolley...

Believe I added correctly.

Yes, you did!  😀

Getting new gear is always a fun thing to do that is for sure.  I hope your gear is working for you.  I don't want to add up my gear.  For me living in ambiguity is always bliss! 😉

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 9.0°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW:  Ben Hogan 1999 Apex blade E (PW) bent to 50°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW & LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 56° (bent to 54°) / 58°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter: Byron Morgan custom Epic Day

Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred (2016 ball)

Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5 stand bag

On 5/12/2021 at 5:24 PM, Fairway14 said:

Will a 15 handicap player shoot lower scores and, or, enjoy the game more if he spends $1,500 on his bag of clubs plus another $1,500 on a dozen lessons and lots of practice range balls? Or, will he get more enjoyment by spending $3,000 on his gear and nothing in the way of technique instruction or practice ?

* both of the above options assume that the clubs fit the player reasonably well.

IMO…

$1500 on each. Fit clubs will usually give you short term/instant benefit. Combine that with a proper training program and you’ll be great long term. 

• Like 1

New equipment prices is why I got fitted and mostly piece together bargain finds, swap shafts and modify lengths, weights, lofts, lies as needed.  New grips, used/mint urethane balls that play great then get lost eventually (gotta believe a lot of these 4-5 star used balls I get were lost within a few holes after someone opened a new sleeve).  Current bag about half that $3K though irons were new.  Then just go practice, play golf, take lessons with however much you want to spend!

D1 Adams XTD, NL60TX D2 Titleist TS2, D+72X 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4H Adams S 9031 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, Tour V X 54, 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

On 5/18/2021 at 2:19 PM, clinkinfo said:

I think what you say has real merit. In irons especially, unless you are really a whacky spec, yes, custom fitting is good BUT it's not really earth shattering. I mean if my lie angle was off by a degree, the world wouldn't end. I think it helps folks more who are farther off a standard spec. But most of us are probably close to standard in reality.

I concur.  Sometimes I'll go out walking instead of riding after work and only carry 5-6 clubs.  Also shoot around the same score as I typically do LOL.  I'm a 3 on a tough track for reference.  (we have less than prob three plus HC golfers at my club) 

I'll mess around and only hit irons or something, same scores.  I know there are outliers, if you play well one day or something like that, but most of us amateurs overanalyze. 

I'm not against club fitting at all, as I clearly do it, but I've owned everything from knock off iron builds back when I was 12 to PXG irons (for a month).  No real difference in scores vs whatever I was using before or after.   Sure there are differences in feel and there's some "piece of mind" involved. 

On 5/23/2021 at 9:33 AM, LaymanM said:

Truth!  That’s why on Rick Shields that pro shot even par with a 5 club box set

Agree, It's much better to practice with a purpose.  Try to get in correct frames, work on putting distance control, things like that.   I would even go further to say if you have a basic understanding of golf swing, you dont even need many lessons.  A lot of teachers teach their swing thoughts.  As you can see on tour, the only real thing to be concerned with is impact position.  There's more than a handful of ways to get there.  Some beautiful swings that dont get enough credit when it relates to consistency.  Furyk, couples, wolff, fowler, etc.

It depends on what you get enjoyment from. I have a fairly expensive bag but play at an 11 handicap. Would I be shooting lower if I spent most of that cash in lessons? Sure, but I like new toys and they give me satisfaction. 

I am doing lessons as well, just not as much as I could be doing (spending more cash on equipment). It’s about balance, and what gives me the most enjoyment overall is combining both gear and lessons. Handicap is going down ever so slowly, but those frustrations are offset by sweet new clubs lol. 

• Like 1

Define satisfaction.  Is it playing better or having a cooler/newer bag. That’s for each person to decide. 

Marketing says newer is better, MORE DISTANCE, MORE ACCURACY, BETTER club. Hahaha only to be sold a bill of goods no better than any other club. It’s Indian not the arrow. 

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

On 5/12/2021 at 1:05 PM, nlinneman20 said:

I was going to say the same thing lol

Given the extensive used market where you can pick up basically brand new clubs for half if not more of the retail price.  $1500 bag would still be pretty damn nice.

Visit callaway pre-owned, classifieds on here , ebay, and any other used golf club exchange and you can have a bag of clubs that are 2 years old or less for probably less than 1500

I built my bag for the following (purchased here)

Titleist TS2 driver $210/Diamana Shaft $140

as-new Mizuno MMC MP20 4-PW $725

as-new Cleveland RTX4 wedges 54/58 $150

as-new Mizuno T20 gap $90

Scotty Newport 2 used $250

Titleist 917 D3 4-wood $110

Ping G400 hybrid (custom D5 SW) $120

all-in, $1585 for current (as of last fall), top of the line gear that fit me well, equivalent to a $3,000 bag. 

I could have gotten a set of 716 AP2 irons for $400 and a older driver/hybrid/4-wood and older wedges, probably still getting top of the line gear all-in for under $1000.  Less would be tough unless I wanted gear several years old.  

You still have to spend $500-600 for something decent. Even a old set of Ping eye 2's will probably set you back $200 alone, and nobody really wants an early 90's driver with a steel shaft.  

The problem is that you spend $3,000, then you start taking lessons.  Suddenly that $3,000 bag doesn't make much sense.  Swing speed increases; you are swinging more purely and making better contact.  Now you need x-stiff shafts, a different launch angle on your driver, and player's cavity back irons.  I bought clubs that "were better than me" last year when I started playing again, but that I could grow into.  Now they are awesome! 

17 minutes ago, North Butte said:

I must say I've overspent on golf clubs many times in my life but don't believe I've ever come close to $3,000. To get over $2,000 I'd have to include my clubs, the bag itself plus my rangefinder, a couple dozen Pro V1's and maybe my Speed Cart. 😇

OK, I got curious and had to do the math...

My current bag of clubs (subject to change at the drop of a hat) cost, as best as I can figure, a little under $1,500 for Driver, 5-wood, 4-hybrid, seven irons, three wedges and a putter. 

To get the total cost up over $2,000 I'd need to add in my golf bag ($185), rangefinder ($300) and a dozen Pro V1's ($50) but I would not have to add in my Speed Cart ($240). 

Not sure how I'd spend another thousand bucks. Just can't bring myself to buy high-$$$ stuff at retail prices. 

On 5/12/2021 at 9:24 AM, Fairway14 said:

Will a 15 handicap player shoot lower scores and, or, enjoy the game more if he spends $1,500 on his bag of clubs plus another $1,500 on a dozen lessons and lots of practice range balls? Or, will he get more enjoyment by spending $3,000 on his gear and nothing in the way of technique instruction or practice ?

* both of the above options assume that the clubs fit the player reasonably well.

Totally up to the individual.
Not factoring that most of us mere mortals golf games plateau at some point - some guys get their enjoyment out of looking their best on the first tee, and others would rather look better in the 19th hole.