Ontario Golf

BallerNate

Sorry GTA boys, but I have to report that operation NoDoFo was a success today.

Played in Hudson this afternoon in the glorious sunny weather. Made a couple of birdies, chopped it around on a few holes for double/X, make a bunch of sloppy bogies, etc. Good news is that the course is not a Golf Canada member so these rounds are handicap freebies. Greens were a little slow, but the course was in fantastic shape otherwise.

I didn't see anyone carpooling or getting together for a few after round pops. I did see everyone physically distanced, masks and plexiglass barriers in the clubhouse, and lots of happy golfers.

I did not encounter any PoPo on either crossing of the border.

Looks like I'll be putting some miles on the car for the next few weeks.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

12 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I don't see why it's confusing, the guy spoke to his buddies and they told him they have a few pops of beer and cram in cars together --Is this not science?

Honestly the average golfer is probably >40yrs old . Is this an age group that typically carpools places? I know i regularly call my 39yr old friends and am like "hey man, let's go together the 4 of us, it's not like we all may have different schedules or families etc"

10 hours ago, cardoustie said:

I’ve never seen anyone carpool to my club ... EVER.   Not in 30 years.  Maybe this is something his public playing buddies do when they do road trips to play 60 mins away

Same logic applies.  Some people drink and drive so let’s stop selling alcohol.  Now THAT would be anarchy

But to put all players in that behaviour category is ridiculous

We need a revolt but Canadians are too polite for real action

Yeah, DoFo’s comments yesterday just show how clueless and out of touch he really is about golf.

I’ve never carpooled to go play golf either, and the “pops” after the round shows a complete lack of understanding of what has been happening at golf courses with COVID protocols.

Dude is a complete imbecile and clearly needs new advisors. 🙄

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

7 hours ago, kozubs said:

If there is a municipality loophole I can gaurentee niagara won't do it.  Last lock down the restrictions on Niagara were lifted but our medical climbed his high horse and kept us closed.  

Sorry to get your hopes up, but heard from another insider who actually works for a City of Toronto course that the rumour was false and they won’t be going against the order.

So looks like a trip to QC is the only out. Apparently there are some courses letting people play too though...waiting to get more info on those options.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

2 hours ago, jvincent said:

Sorry GTA boys, but I have to report that operation NoDoFo was a success today.

Played in Hudson this afternoon in the glorious sunny weather. Made a couple of birdies, chopped it around on a few holes for double/X, make a bunch of sloppy bogies, etc. Good news is that the course is not a Golf Canada member so these rounds are handicap freebies. Greens were a little slow, but the course was in fantastic shape otherwise.

I didn't see anyone carpooling or getting together for a few after round pops. I did see everyone physically distanced, masks and plexiglass barriers in the clubhouse, and lots of happy golfers.

I did not encounter any PoPo on either crossing of the border.

Looks like I'll be putting some miles on the car for the next few weeks.

Good to hear crossing the border is still possible. Heard they were going to start beefing it up, so that’s definitely positive.

I’d be doing the same thing if I were you, and will probably make a trip to QC soon too.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

3 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Good to hear crossing the border is still possible. Heard they were going to start beefing it up, so that’s definitely positive.

I’d be doing the same thing if I were you, and will probably make a trip to QC soon too.

No sign of Quebec police anywhere except the normal speed traps they always have.

Coming back to the Ontario side it looked like they were directing all traffic into the Tourist Center for a check when I drove by heading the other way. The guys I played with, also from Ottawa, gave me a heads up on a back roads route which had no popo presence.

1 hour ago, jvincent said:

No sign of Quebec police anywhere except the normal speed traps they always have.

Coming back to the Ontario side it looked like they were directing all traffic into the Tourist Center for a check when I drove by heading the other way. The guys I played with, also from Ottawa, gave me a heads up on a back roads route which had no popo presence.

Good to know. Well, if I make the trip out that way I’ll definitely reach out for that special route!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

16 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Good to know. Well, if I make the trip out that way I’ll definitely reach out for that special route!

Mission failure for today.

As I was pulling up to the course I could see flashing lights in the parking lot and sure enough the popo was staked out. I casually drove by a couple of times but it didn't look like he was leaving so I just headed home.

Nice day for a drive in the country. I will probably try again mid week as I'm sure the weekend is prime enforcement time.

29 minutes ago, jvincent said:

Mission failure for today.

As I was pulling up to the course I could see flashing lights in the parking lot and sure enough the popo was staked out. I casually drove by a couple of times but it didn't look like he was leaving so I just headed home.

Nice day for a drive in the country. I will probably try again mid week as I'm sure the weekend is prime enforcement time.

At Quebec courses you saw the 5-0? Wow were they at Falcon? I'm shocked at this, you think they are there looking for Ontario plates? Disappointing if so....I thought we were just kind of humoring Ford on the whole mutual enforcement thing.

I am told we can have members shortly. Will confirm. 100% there won't be any cops at private clubs

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Just now, MtlJeff said:

At Quebec courses you saw the 5-0? Wow were they at Falcon? I'm shocked at this, you think they are there looking for Ontario plates? Disappointing if so....I thought we were just kind of humoring Ford on the whole mutual enforcement thing.

I am told we can have members shortly. Will confirm. 100% there won't be any cops at private clubs

Yep, they were at Falcon. I was surprised.

They were all over the Gatineau courses yesterday but given the proximity to Ottawa that makes sense. Also the Gatineau cops have a rep for being a-holes. They have been known to troll parking lots for expired Ontario plates.

1 minute ago, jvincent said:

They were all over the Gatineau courses yesterday but given the proximity to Ottawa that makes sense. Also the Gatineau cops have a rep for being a-holes. They have been known to troll parking lots for expired Ontario plates.

There's been some rumors of cops showing up at golf courses or other fitness places to make sure people are following health guidelines --But that was mostly i thought when they first opened. My first round of the year the course told us the cops showed up every day to snoop around so to be on our best behavior (public course as Whitlock hadn't opened yet). But this was a month ago.

To be honest we have been averaging 600-700 cases a day with a 2-2.5% positivity rate , and we're vaccinating 120K people a day now. The last 2 weeks most days the covid update is not leading the news anymore.

So if there's cops at the course in Hudson, it very well may be looking for Ontario plates ---Which is pretty sh***

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Well this could be good...from the GM of Callaway Canada:

FC95832C-98B6-4474-950B-FEB8376F37F4.jpeg

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

3 hours ago, jvincent said:

Sorry to hear this news. Sucks to hear that we’re being held prisoner by a leadership group not following science. Frustration is going to keep building until it boils over...

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I received an email from a local course.  The NDP are forcing a non binding vote on Monday to open outdoor activities.  I emailed my MPPs.  Hopefully if enough people push the issue we can get common sense.  

https://ipolitics.ca/2021/05/14/ontario-ndp-to-force-vote-on-reopening-outdoor-recreational-spaces/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kozubs said:

I received an email from a local course.  The NDP are forcing a non binding vote on Monday to open outdoor activities.  I emailed my MPPs.  Hopefully if enough people push the issue we can get common sense.  

https://ipolitics.ca/2021/05/14/ontario-ndp-to-force-vote-on-reopening-outdoor-recreational-spaces/

From what I’ve heard, this is more of a formality so that all MPP’s have to go on record and vote on what their position is. Would be awesome if it actually leads to re-opening though, and will e-mail my local MPP’s about it (who I have been e-mailing regularly ever few days).

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

3 hours ago, BallerNate said:

From what I’ve heard, this is more of a formality so that all MPP’s have to go on record and vote on what their position is. Would be awesome if it actually leads to re-opening though, and will e-mail my local MPP’s about it (who I have been e-mailing regularly ever few days).

You want everyone to tell them not only to vote for reopening, but for who are among the party in power, that you will consider an abstention to be the same as voting to keep the restrictions in place as they are.

• Like 1

Some hope here in Barrie and leadership being shown by a city councillor here!!

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/warm-weather-and-lockdown-combo-draws-ire-of-many-1.5429691

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

2 hours ago, golfortennis said:

You want everyone to tell them not only to vote for reopening, but for who are among the party in power, that you will consider an abstention to be the same as voting to keep the restrictions in place as they are.

True, good point to keep in mind when writing our MPP’s.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 5/15/2021 at 3:25 PM, MtlJeff said:

There's been some rumors of cops showing up at golf courses or other fitness places to make sure people are following health guidelines --But that was mostly i thought when they first opened. My first round of the year the course told us the cops showed up every day to snoop around so to be on our best behavior (public course as Whitlock hadn't opened yet). But this was a month ago.

To be honest we have been averaging 600-700 cases a day with a 2-2.5% positivity rate , and we're vaccinating 120K people a day now. The last 2 weeks most days the covid update is not leading the news anymore.

So if there's cops at the course in Hudson, it very well may be looking for Ontario plates ---Which is pretty sh***

Have you heard anything else over the weekend about enforcement by the QC police stopping Ontario golfers at the border or outside of golf courses?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

34 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Have you heard anything else over the weekend about enforcement by the QC police stopping Ontario golfers at the border or outside of golf courses?

I confirmed with a few friends that they had also heard the same, that some of the PoPo have been staking out the golf courses. But a lot of hearsay. There is none at my club which is private

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

I confirmed with a few friends that they had also heard the same, that some of the PoPo have been staking out the golf courses. But a lot of hearsay. There is none at my club which is private

Damn...very disappointing news. Sounds like the police are smart enough to know that Ontario golfers would only go to public courses.

Hopefully we get some goods news in Ontario soon...the pressure on DoFo is mounting by the day and he’s got to realize he’s fighting a losing battle!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

13 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Damn...very disappointing news. Sounds like the police are smart enough to know that Ontario golfers would only go to public courses.

Hopefully we get some goods news in Ontario soon...the pressure on DoFo is mounting by the day and he’s got to realize he’s fighting a losing battle!

I'm hoping for good news for you guys. I know it got bad there but things will only get better now. Texas opened up everything with 40% vaccines and saw no increases and you're over that, I think 45-46%.  Everything is just gonna drop now. We hit 50% here recently too. 

Worst case I think you guys are playing June 1st but hopefully sooner

• Like 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Has there been a single documented case of COVID transmission on a golf course anywhere in the world? Keep the clubhouse closed if necessary but I don't see why the course should close.

UV kills viruses, heaps of air exchange taking place and people are getting exercise and Vitamin D. Here in Queensland Australia where the decisions don't always make sense, golf courses never closed. For a little while it was a max of twoballs and the clubhouse was closed but at least we could play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I'm hoping for good news for you guys. I know it got bad there but things will only get better now. Texas opened up everything with 40% vaccines and saw no increases and you're over that, I think 45-46%.  Everything is just gonna drop now. We hit 50% here recently too. 

Worst case I think you guys are playing June 1st but hopefully sooner

I hope you’re right! The big difference between Texas, QC, and Ontario unfortunately is DoFo, Lol! But he’s facing so much pressure and momentum from every angle that continuing to dig his heels in seems impossible.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

2 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

Has there been a single documented case of COVID transmission on a golf course anywhere in the world? Keep the clubhouse closed if necessary but I don't see why the course should close.

UV kills viruses, heaps of air exchange taking place and people are getting exercise and Vitamin D. Here in Queensland Australia where the decisions don't always make sense, golf courses never closed. For a little while it was a max of twoballs and the clubhouse was closed but at least we could play.

Yeah, there’s absolutely no scientific evidence that supports golf courses being closed, which is why Ontario, Canada is the only region in the World with closed courses.

The statistic here that everyone quotes is that there were 26 Million rounds played on Ontario golf courses last year without a single COVID-19 transmission. So yes, you’re absolutely right...it makes no sense at all which is why it’s so frustrating for us.

Edited by BallerNate

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

10 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

I believe all of last season we had 1-2 documented cases in our entire club. However we don't know if they actually caught it playing or elsewhere (likely elsewhere). So all we know is only 1-2 people in our club got it last summer period.

There's borderline zero risk right now. Weather is getting nicer and Canada overall is moving up the vaccine charts very fast. It's a silly decision. I'm confident our friends to the west will be playing June 1st at the latest

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

My Victoria Day weekend covert op is planned now so I'll be golfing in QC if DoFo doesn't relent before the weekend.

I should probably throw a box of balls in the bag given the amount of rust that's accumulated.

So I tuned in to the Ontario Parliament Live feed this morning to watch the NDP motion to re-open outdoor activities. And wouldn't you know it, they cut the Live feed halfway through as the NDP and Liberals were fighting for the rights of Ontario citizens, and the PC leaders were spewing the same rhetoric that they have been for the last month.

So we missed half the arguments, and the vote....and then what do you know, the feed came back on at 10:15am after a recess when the whole thing was done. Absolute B.S. 🙄

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I avoid watching any of the parliament broadcasts or politician's news conferences because I fear for the safety of my TV. Too many throwable objects within reach.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jvincent said:

I avoid watching any of the parliament broadcasts or politician's news conferences because I fear for the safety of my TV. Too many throwable objects within reach.

Haha...no doubt! Well, I did my best to watch it until the feed just happened to magically be “lost”.

The only PC mouthpiece we were able to hear was Christine Elliott and she was BRUTTTTALLLL!!!

Just regurgitating all the same nonsense about COVID stats and ICU numbers, then taking all the credit for the vaccine rollout. Then saying they will “monitor key indicators over the next few weeks to see if outdoor activities can be safely opened”.

They just refuse to look at the extremely low risk of transmission from outdoor activities, and they keep tying them to metrics and stats that have nothing to do with golf, tennis, boating, basketball, or any other outdoor activity!! Super frustrating...

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX