Jump to content

US Open qualifying


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The state golf associations set up the courses for the local qualifiers.  The USGA isn’t sending a set up team to 100+ local qualifying sites. The state golf association will give some guidance on rou

My uneducated opinion is that the course ratings place far too much emphasis on length. I know there have been several threads discussing this over the years.    I know two local courses that s

31,616 steps today….95 degrees 60% humidity…..who’s got a beer for me?

Posted Images

its amazing and also brutal to see what the USGA is capable of when they come on property and take over for a sectional or sometimes even a local qualifying site, its like they shut the water supply off and lock up the mowers except to vertical cut the greens....I have seen them make some courses brutal

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I once went to go watch one of my friends who was on my golf team play in a US Open qualifier.  Unfortunately he didn't make the cut but had a blast trying to.  The USGA makes the course setup absolutely brutal. 

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been a spectator at these in the past.  Really fun watching pros and ams battle for so few spots. 

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple years back played a shamble at the qualifier course 3-4 days before the qualifier... due to weather course was soaked.  Checked the scores I think the top qualifier shot even par.  The setup can be fun though.

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* 

TEE CBX 119 4wd 16.5*

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3h 19*

Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4i

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-GW

Scratch 56* DS

Toulon Atlanta

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Missed the playoff at my local by one...candidly never think I’ll actually play in the US Open when I sign up, but fun to try.  I can’t imagine the feeling/pressure of what would happen if I ever made it out of local and went lights out at sectionals.  Honestly makes me want to throw up more than be excited.

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Kdaniel72 said:

How do you get to play in the local? Just show up? Monday Qualifiers? Produce a handicap?

 

You either declare yourself a pro, or have  a handicap below 1.4 I believe it is now.  Fill out the form, find out if you got in, pay the fee and away you go.

 

Whether the 1.4 is legit or not.....   

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, golfandfishing said:

The state golf associations set up the courses for the local qualifiers.  The USGA isn’t sending a set up team to 100+ local qualifying sites. The state golf association will give some guidance on rough, green speeds, etc but it’s largely up to the host club and superintendent until the state GA arrives and marks tees and hole locations, usually a day maybe two in advance. The reason they continually go back to the same host sites for the most part is they know and trust the host club to set it up. The USGA isn’t at each local host club growing rough, dictating irrigation, etc.  In most areas of the country the superintendents at facilities that operate at that level can show off in the spring - they can grow beautiful rough, have firm and green fairways and control green speeds at their whim, it’s prime growing season and those guys can show off their skills. 

HOW DARE YOU BRING FACTS INTO THIS SITE!!! I am flagging your post sir! Welcome to my block list!!!! LOL jk. You’re right it’s left to the state golf associations who administrate on behalf of the USGA. But regarding course conditions there’s largely (98 percent of the time) nothing done different than a regular day. Some qualifiers are even held at resort courses or public daily fee clubs. It’s amazing the thought process of people that think oh we’re hosting a qualifier greens will be faster rough will be way up tees will be way back etc. it’s a one day event...not much will be done differently than any other day. Just talk to the staff they’ll tell you. Obviously there should be some desire to show the course/club off but it’s 18 holes and one day.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BNGL said:

HOW DARE YOU BRING FACTS INTO THIS SITE!!! I am flagging your post sir! Welcome to my block list!!!! LOL jk. You’re right it’s left to the state golf associations who administrate on behalf of the USGA. But regarding course conditions there’s largely (98 percent of the time) nothing done different than a regular day. Some qualifiers are even held at resort courses or public daily fee clubs. It’s amazing the thought process of people that think oh we’re hosting a qualifier greens will be faster rough will be way up tees will be way back etc. it’s a one day event...not much will be done differently than any other day. Just talk to the staff they’ll tell you. Obviously there should be some desire to show the course/club off but it’s 18 holes and one day.

Exactly!  What I’m saying is that conditions are tough because it’s the time of year supers get to show off. The course is that way regardless of who is playing, it’s the time of year to be in primo shape. And also sorry for the facts 🙂  

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Rob G 89 said:

Alright let’s post who shot 100 plus to shame them

edit got half way through found 3 100 plus scorers

B9A7D64D-EF90-4DBE-A44B-E95CE4328E90.jpeg

6D62A280-0A28-4198-887E-E893F80CFBFE.jpeg

231D1061-C963-49A5-83AD-8776CED5CB78.jpeg

Congrats if you never have an awful day. DJ had a couple 80 rounds in a row last spring and then went on a run. It happens to, virtually, everyone.

  • Like 2

WITB
Titleist TSi3 9* PX Riptide CB 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2021 at 12:12 PM, Rob G 89 said:

I’m no golf expert but someone with the requisite handicap isn’t shooting 100 plus 

I looked a few up.  The 95 is a 1.3…..the 86 is a +3.3

 

Without knowing the conditions ya never know.

 

edited to add…..then also remember that for some they have not played most of the winter and the courses are not in the best shape either.  Your example was Michigan on May 3. Gotta believe that is a relatively early round for many.

Edited by Shilgy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WITB
Titleist TSi3 9* PX Riptide CB 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

I looked a few up.  The 95 is a 1.3…..the 86 is a +3.3

 

Without knowing the conditions ya never know.

whoever that was just gave up plain and simple. I play to +3.3 and many of my friends that I play with in our scratch game are the same I think maybe 2 out of the 8-10 regulars are over 0 handicaps and they’re .1-.5 handicaps. In the two years or so I’ve been playing with them I haven’t ever seen a round I can remember where guys shot over 85. Sure DJ had mulptiple rounds of 80...on a PGA Tour setup at Muirfield which if you’re off your game you’re making a big number. And then he shot 78 with a quad the next week at Minneapolis. So to compare it’s golf sure but it’s two completely different levels. They’re some players just aren’t good golfers no matter what there handicap says or club scoring average says. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

I looked a few up.  The 95 is a 1.3…..the 86 is a +3.3

 

Without knowing the conditions ya never know.

 

edited to add…..them also remember that for some they have not played most of the winter and the courses are not in the best shape either.  Your example was Michigan on May 3. Gotta believe that is a relatively early round for many.

Your right I’m from Indiana and season doesn’t really start till June sometimes 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really , really hard to shoot a 100+ if you are a sub 1.4 who plays in any kind of tournaments. Maybe if a bear mauled you in the woods and you played 11 holes with severed limbs.

 

To put it in perspective, in the last 10 years no one at my club has shot 100 or more in our club championship A flight. I think the highest score i can recall is 96. And these are guys with indexes of 0 to 5.4 on a course that is rated 74.5 /138 or 75/140 so it's no picnic, and we set it up reasonably hard

  • Like 3

Cobra RadSpeed XB 9 w/PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80
Cobra F9 Tour 13.5 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70
Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Prototype 85
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BNGL said:

whoever that was just gave up plain and simple. I play to +3.3 and many of my friends that I play with in our scratch game are the same I think maybe 2 out of the 8-10 regulars are over 0 handicaps and they’re .1-.5 handicaps. In the two years or so I’ve been playing with them I haven’t ever seen a round I can remember where guys shot over 85. Sure DJ had mulptiple rounds of 80...on a PGA Tour setup at Muirfield which if you’re off your game you’re making a big number. And then he shot 78 with a quad the next week at Minneapolis. So to compare it’s golf sure but it’s two completely different levels. They’re some players just aren’t good golfers no matter what there handicap says or club scoring average says. 

I realize that. But you see it every year in various club championships, state events and qualifiers. Some of then are teens facing their first adult event. And especially in the northern states some players games wake up a lot slower than others from the winter hibernation. 
  You think my comparing it to pros was off and I don’t see how your scratch game compares to a round of play it down and count ‘m.

 

But in general I’m going with the “gave up” idea you posted. But I have more admiration for the guy that finished than the many that play poorly in these things and walk off early with a WD.

WITB
Titleist TSi3 9* PX Riptide CB 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MtlJeff said:

It's really , really hard to shoot a 100+ if you are a sub 1.4 who plays in any kind of tournaments. Maybe if a bear mauled you in the woods and you played 11 holes with severed limbs.

 

To put it in perspective, in the last 10 years no one at my club has shot 100 or more in our club championship A flight. I think the highest score i can recall is 96. And these are guys with indexes of 0 to 5.4 on a course that is rated 74.5 /138 or 75/140 so it's no picnic, and we set it up reasonably hard

Agree, and I’ll add that in the example given two of the 100+ shooters were professionals. Likely either aging pros that the course was too long for or young assistant pros that don’t really play the game and wouldn’t have a handicap that qualified if they were amateurs.

  • Like 1

WITB
Titleist TSi3 9* PX Riptide CB 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shilgy said:

Agree, and I’ll add that in the example given two of the 100+ shooters were professionals. Likely either aging pros that the course was too long for or young assistant pros that don’t really play the game and wouldn’t have a handicap that qualified if they were amateurs.

 

Exactly, and i'm not trying to shame anyone...I've shot 88's and 85's in tournaments, these days happen especially if you make a quad or something and mentally check out a few holes. It happens

 

But 100+ is literally like 12 shots more than that. To shoot like 102 or something, you have to either get injured and just decide to play anyway because you don't want to go home to your nagging wife...Or you probably aren't a 1.4 anymore

  • Like 3

Cobra RadSpeed XB 9 w/PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80
Cobra F9 Tour 13.5 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70
Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Prototype 85
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shilgy said:

I realize that. But you see it every year in various club championships, state events and qualifiers. Some of then are teens facing their first adult event. And especially in the northern states some players games wake up a lot slower than others from the winter hibernation. 
  You think my comparing it to pros was off and I don’t see how your scratch game compares to a round of play it down and count ‘m.

 

But in general I’m going with the “gave up” idea you posted. But I have more admiration for the guy that finished than the many that play poorly in these things and walk off early with a WD.

Oh I totally agree, props to him for signing it, seriously. I know I have NC for more than one qualifier with far far better scores. I remember playing at Admirals Cove in Jupiter turned at E, but saw that 68 was already not good enough. Birdied 10 and that was it until the 18th which I bogeyed. My car was in between me and the locker rooms so I just left. This was the first year in the past 17 that I did not enter, I played with every level of player guys that qualified for sectionals (including myself 7 times) to guys that were decent players to guys that were straight awful and had absolutely zero business playing in that qualifier. As far as being in northern states if you're entering a qualifier of this level, and you're a player (not the 0-1-2 handicap players) you've taken the necessary steps to get your game in shape to compete. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Discussion and Links
      Please put any question or comments here.
       
      Links to the galleries...
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #5
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #6
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #7
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #8
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #9
       
      Adam Svensson with new model of Puma golf shoes - 2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry)
       


       
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #5
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #6
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #7
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #8
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #9
       
      Adam Svensson with new model of Puma golf shoes - 2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry)
       

       
        • Like
      • 3 replies
    • 2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Tuesday #1
      2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Tuesday #2
      2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Tuesday #3
      2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Tuesday #4
      2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Tuesday #5
      2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Tuesday #6
       
       

       
       
      Bryson Nimmer's Bettinardi putter - 2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree
      Dustin Johnson's got the putter try-outs going on - 2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree
      Scotty Cameron putters - 2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree
       
       
       
       
        • Like
      • 35 replies
    • 2021 Memorial - Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       

       
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #1
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #2
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #3
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #4
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #5
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #6
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #7
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #8
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #9
       
       
       

       
       
       

       
      Piretti putter & cover for Hideki - 2021 Memorial
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Memorial
      New Odyssey (play like a kid) putter over - 2021 Memorial
      Bettinardi putters & covers - 2021 Memorial
      Ben An's Cameron putter - 2021 Memorial
       
       
      • 27 replies
    • 2021 Charles Schwab Challenge  - Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #1
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #2
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #3
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #4
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #5
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #6
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #7
       
       

       
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge winner will get this Power wagon
      Eric Compton testing Axis 1 putter - 2021 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Cameron putter and new cover - 2021 Charles Schwab Challenge
       
       
        • Like
      • 7 replies
    • Phil Mickelson Winning WITB from the 2021 PGA Championship
      Phil Mickelson's Winning What's In The Bag? 
       
      Driver: Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond (6 degrees @5.5 , green dot cog) Fujikura Ventus Black 6 X (47.9 inches)
      2-wood: TaylorMade “Original One” Mini Driver (11.5 degrees) Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X
      4-wood: (Sunday only): Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero (16.5 degrees) Fujikura Ventus Blue 8 X
      Irons: Callaway X Forged UT (16) (Thursday-Saturday), Callaway X21 UT Proto (19 degrees @20.5, 25), Callaway Apex MB ‘21 (small groove) (6-PW) Shafts- 16* MCA MMT 105 TX, KBS Tour V 125 S+
      Wedges: Callaway PM Grind ’19 “Raw” ([email protected]*, 55-12*, 60-10*) Shafts: KBS Tour V 125 S+
      Putter: Odyssey Milled Blade “Phil Mickelson” SuperStroke Pistol GT Tour
      Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X (Triple Track)
      Grips: Golf Pride MCC
       
      Link to more pics on the front-page... https://www.golfwrx.com/654804/phil-mickelson-witb-2021-may-pga-championship/
       

       
       
      • 86 replies

×
×
  • Create New...