Trackman driver numbers advice

Posted (edited)

Ok I was looking back at My trackman driver numbers .

Any advice from techs/ fitters that could give advice on gaining distance. 

Ping g400 max  9* / px lz 6.5 hcrafted

101.4 Club Speed.                   

-1.2    Attack Ang.               

0.7     Club Path.            

-4.9.   Face To Path

-3.5.    Face Ang

1.43.   Smash Fac.

145.4.  Ball Speed

12.6.     Launch Ang.

2100.    Spin Rate

237.0.    Carry

Edited by golfhoopie
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

there is no such thing as a horrible swing, truth be told.   Golf is about one thing and one thing only impact.  No matter how you get to impact whether it is a loop like Furyk or Wolff it d

Sorry, have to disagree with this one.   1.43 with a driver is bad.  It should be at least 1.47 before it can be considered ok - especially with Trackman doing the measuring.   for the OP -

Ah ok, I stand corrected.  I always thought that 1.43 was the starting point for ok.  I'm pretty well versed in most of the numbers that trackman spits out but I guess I missed the mark on smash.  Tha

Posted Images

AoA is ok.  It should be 0 to +3 IMO for max carry numbers.  Roll out is just a bonus.  Club path looks good.  Face angle would be better the closer you are 1* either way.  Smash could be a bit higher but it's still ok.  Launch angle at your ball speed could be higher.  2100 spin rate is fine for someone like me who has a 115+mph swing but for you, it should be around 2600 rpm. 

• Like 2

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

10 minutes ago, golfhoopie said:

Thanks for the great info...just seems like guys are hitting past me now (ego) that have horrible swings that never did before. So at my  swingsspeed what would be a good carry number?  Going lighter shaft or to a stiff

Your about at optimal if you don't change your AoA. If you google it, trackman has a chart with optimal numbers. At a 100mph club head speed and 0 AoA has a carry of 235. If you want to increase distance you need to increase your AoA a bit. A +5 AoA at 100mph gets 247 carry at optimal setup according to their chart.

5 minutes ago, Jc0 said:

Your about at optimal if you don't change your AoA. If you google it, trackman has a chart with optimal numbers. At a 100mph club head speed and 0 AoA has a carry of 235. If you want to increase distance you need to increase your AoA a bit. A +5 AoA at 100mph gets 247 carry at optimal setup according to their chart.

Most golfers don't have the flexibility to bend their spine in a way that will allow them to hit up on the ball that much unfortunately.  In an ideal world, AoA would be +3 to +5 AoA, but it's not in most cases. 

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

22 minutes ago, golfhoopie said:

Thanks for the great info...just seems like guys are hitting past me now (ego) that have horrible swings that never did before. So at my  swingsspeed what would be a good carry number?  Going lighter shaft or to a stiff

You can add 5-15 yards from increasing smash a bit and hitting up on it. 

• Like 2

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, golfhoopie said:

101.4 Club Speed.                   

-1.2    Attack Ang.               

0.7     Club Path.            

-4.9.   Face To Path

-3.5.    Face Ang

1.43.   Smash Fac.

145.4.  Ball Speed

12.6.     Launch Ang.

2100.    Spin Rate

237.0.    Carry

IMO at that SS you could easily be carrying over 250.  Just need your launch angle to be nearer 16 

23 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

You can add 5-15 yards from increasing smash a bit and hitting up on it. 

THIS ⬆️

Edited by Avidswampthing66

Callaway Epic Max LS w/ Tensei 1k 6s

M6 3w Oban Purp 75g

M6 5w Graphite Design ad-di 7s

Apex Pro 21 MMT 95s  

Mizuno T-20 50, 54, 58

TM spider x

Pro V1x

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, golfhoopie said:

there is no such thing as a horrible swing, truth be told.

Golf is about one thing and one thing only impact.  No matter how you get to impact whether it is a loop like Furyk or Wolff it doesn't matter.  What matters is impact.

A driver is not going to fix your AoA issue or face angle relationship to path issue.  The more square your club face is for the most part the higher your smash factor is.  With today's drivers, the more you hit up on the ball the more your optimized you will be for distance.

Lessons should be your first choice, and TALK to the person before you randomly sign up with someone.  I do not care about my angles at the top of the swing or halfway back or halfway down, I don't care if my grip is not textbook or too strong or too weak, I don't care if I setup to the ball too open or too closed.   I only care about those things if they will make my impact better or more repeatable.  Too many "teachers" try to teach golf swing instead of golf and scoring.  If it isn't making my impact position better or more repeatable(and explain why it does those things) then stop telling me to do them.  My swing is what many might call bad.  I have an extremely open stance and an extremely strong grip, I play the ball way back in my stance.  However those things have allowed me to be a +3.8 handicap at one time and play mini tour golf.

If you have decided to throw a new driver at the fix then using the charts referenced above is your best bet, but it will not make as much impact as getting with a good instructor and working on improving your impact positions.

** Yes I know that path and and AoA start before impact, but hopefully everyone understand my meaning here of impact positions **

Edited by driveandputtmachine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS on Ventus Purple
  • 4 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*
  • Irons - Srixon ZX4 4 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-PW) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, Callaway MD5 54*, Cleveland Zipcore 60* Mid all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66 (Testing Odyssey V Line Tank @ 39" with split hands)
  • Ball - TP5 or Srixon Z Star 
33 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Golf is about one thing and one thing only impact.  No matter how you get to impact whether it is a loop like Furyk or Wolff it doesn't matter.  What matters is impact.

A driver is not going to fix your AoA issue or face angle relationship to path issue.  The more square your club face is for the most part the higher your smash factor is.  With today's drivers, the more you hit up on the ball the more your optimized you will be for distance.

Lessons should be your first choice, and TALK to the person before you randomly sign up with someone.  I do not care about my angles at the top of the swing or halfway back or halfway down, I don't care if my grip is not textbook or too strong or too weak, I don't care if I setup to the ball too open or too closed.   I only care about those things if they will make my impact better or more repeatable.  Too many "teachers" try to teach golf swing instead of golf and scoring.  If it isn't making my impact position better or more repeatable(and explain why it does those things) then stop telling me to do them.  My swing is what many might call bad.  I have an extremely open stance and an extremely strong grip, I play the ball way back in my stance.  However those things have allowed me to be a +3.8 handicap at one time and play mini tour golf.

If you have decided to throw a new driver at the fix then using the charts referenced above is your best bet, but it will not make as much impact as getting with a good instructor and working on improving your impact positions.

** Yes I know that path and and AoA start before impact, but hopefully everyone understand my meaning here of impact positions **

Thanks ! All fantastic points. I agree the negative AoA needs work.  Hitting a fade also hinders my yards along with age. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Smash could be a bit higher but it's still ok. 

Sorry, have to disagree with this one.   1.43 with a driver is bad.  It should be at least 1.47 before it can be considered ok - especially with Trackman doing the measuring.

for the OP - With that spin, it's more likely an indicator of a poor face impact position than the dynamic loft being too high.   Defiantly need to get some foot powder spray to check the face impact location and consistency.  That's much more important to distance than the AoA.   Most ams when they try to increase the AoA without the proper instruction end up increasing the dynamic loft along with the AoA - which results in too much spin and looses any potential gain they could have gotten.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 3
13 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Sorry, have to disagree with this one.   1.43 with a driver is bad.  It should be at least 1.47 before it can be considered ok - especially with Trackman doing the measuring.

for the OP - With that spin, it's more likely an indicator of a poor face impact position than the dynamic loft being too high.   Defiantly need to get some foot powder spray to check the face impact location and consistency.  That's much more important to distance than the AoA.   Most ams when they try to increase the AoA without the proper instruction end up increasing the dynamic loft along with the AoA - which results in too much spin and looses any potential gain they could have gotten.

Ah ok, I stand corrected.  I always thought that 1.43 was the starting point for ok.  I'm pretty well versed in most of the numbers that trackman spits out but I guess I missed the mark on smash.  That's my bad and I own up to it.  As for the last part of your statement about hitting up on it, I agree.  Most ams don't know how to properly execute the move without compensating somewhere which leads to hooks and other mishits.  Very easy to get flippy with the hands IMO.  Good example of someone on tour who can execute the move is Rory.  He says himself that he can hit up on it +5 degrees when he feels like he needs to. 

• Like 3

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Good example of someone on tour who can execute the move is Rory.  He says himself that he can hit up on it +5 degrees when he feels like he needs to. 

I think it's the quest for speed, not AoA that got him in trouble.    Adding a bit extra secondary tilt isn't that hard.   Getting stuck and the 2-way miss is more commonly an issue with the hips fired too fast and the resulting problems with sequencing.  

Not that I think I'm in any way qualified to diagnose his problems 🙂

Edited by Stuart_G
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

I think it's the quest for speed, not AoA that got him in trouble.    Adding a bit extra secondary tilt isn't that hard.   Getting stuck and the 2-way miss is more commonly an issue with the hips fired too fast and the resulting problems with sequencing.

I wasn't try to saying that AoA was the issue with Rory.  I should've clarified.  He's always hit up the ball quite a bit.  In the past when he was younger he would struggle with hitting the occasional quacker off the tee.  I'm thinking that's the result of him flipping his hands which results in a shut club face.  I have a problem with this at times as well.  Adding tilt for a tour pro isn't hard because they stretch thus very flexible.  You're average golfer isn't flexible enough to bend the spine correctly to hit up on it.  I have clients who are your average joe/jane that I've had to go through the motions of both static and dynamic stretching.  After about a month, they could finally get their spines into the proper position in order to hit up on it. 

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

Posted (edited)

@phizzy30   Thanks for the clarification.   And the flipping generally comes from getting stuck. 

But adding secondary tilt doesn't require any more flexibility in the back as long as the hip motion and sequencing is half way decent.  If the hips are tilted properly, the back is doing the exact same thing as it would be without the secondary tilt.    It's only trying to do it with less then ideal lower body motion or gaining that tilt in the wrong way (in the spin instead of the hips) that can cause problems.

OP sorry for the side-track 😉

Edited by Stuart_G

Trackman is good for numbers, but if you want more distance, as mentioned before you need to get into the center of that clubface more. You want a smash factor that's averaging around 1.48. The only way to do that is to improve your swing to become more consistent at returning the club face square to target at impact. You'd benefit more from swing advice, than trackman advice, imo.

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

Ah ok, I stand corrected.  I always thought that 1.43 was the starting point for ok.  I'm pretty well versed in most of the numbers that trackman spits out but I guess I missed the mark on smash.  That's my bad and I own up to it.  As for the last part of your statement about hitting up on it, I agree.  Most ams don't know how to properly execute the move without compensating somewhere which leads to hooks and other mishits.  Very easy to get flippy with the hands IMO.  Good example of someone on tour who can execute the move is Rory.  He says himself that he can hit up on it +5 degrees when he feels like he needs to. 

Depends on the machine you are using, which only muddies the waters.  Trackman from what I have seen using one will give higher smash numbers than a GC Quad.

For instance, at my last club there were a bunch of guys with in house launch monitors.  Our club had a trackman, on guy kept saying our trackman was busted because his GC4 showed different smash numbers and different clubhead speed numbers., he brought it up to the bay and we ran a test.  Our teaching pro had his own trackman as well.

In short I saw my smash on the Trackman average at 1.49, but the GC4 showed me at 1.44.  Yardages were very similar with the driver.  There were differences with the clubhead speed, but I do not remember which way they went.  I have seen guys put on stripe shows with a driver on a GC4 and only hit 1.46 or so smash

There were some discrepancies with irons too, but it was normally smash and clubhead speed that differed the most between the two from my memory on every club.  

• Like 1
  • Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS on Ventus Purple
  • 4 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*
  • Irons - Srixon ZX4 4 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-PW) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, Callaway MD5 54*, Cleveland Zipcore 60* Mid all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66 (Testing Odyssey V Line Tank @ 39" with split hands)
  • Ball - TP5 or Srixon Z Star 
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, golfhoopie said:

101.4 Club Speed.                   

-1.2    Attack Ang.               

0.7     Club Path.            

-4.9.   Face To Path

-3.5.    Face Ang

1.43.   Smash Fac.

145.4.  Ball Speed

12.6.     Launch Ang.

2100.    Spin Rate

237.0.    Carry

According to Ping, you'll need a higher launch with more spin.  I suggest you loft up on your driver for starters...

Ping Optimal Driver Launch Chart.jpg

Edited by cgasucks

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

10 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Yasssssss!!! Driveandputtmachine testifying from the mountain top!! I have been screaming this for years and I hate that this post will be buried inside this thread where most won't read it.  I would be in golf forums and post my swing and someone would say "the ball is too far back in my  stance..." and I would say how do you know being that you  never even asked what the shot that I just hit did.  How is the ball too far back in my stance if it went high and straight?  It is where it has to be for me to play golf at the moment though I will adjust as my level of physical capability increases.  I needed to read this post so thanks pumping me up! There is hope!!

• Like 1

Others have mentioned, but work on centering it up a little more and I would definitely try to get a bit more spin. Little loft up is an east start, What is ballflight?

Is this data with your gamer golf balls or range balls???

I wouldn't be as concerned with smash as others, I understand what they are saying, but ballspeed is king; it's 99% correct and should be your main focus as CHS is not always accurate and is hard to accurately measure

lead tape & Taylormade TP5X's

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, golfhoopie said:

I've never seen this chart. So my ball speed is 145.5 going by this chart my max is 250?

250 carry theoretically...yes.  But your launch angle and spin has to match in order to get that distance.  You can't do it with your 9 deg. G400 Max.  10.5d...possibly.

Edited by cgasucks

2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

3 minutes ago, golfhoopie said:

Ok I'll try a few things with my driver settings . Also have a buddies g425 9* I can crank to 10.5 I believe. 

Ok.  In the meantime, I suggest you work on your swing to get more solid contact to you can get that Smash Factor Closer to 1.50.  

Nothing wrong in getting more ball speed. 🙂