Suggest A Hybrid Or Two...

I like my rogue, you should be able to find them under $100 depending on condition, it's the longest serving club in my bag (if I never found this site there may have been some other to contend for that haha). 

When I started I had a set with a 19 and 22 degree hybrid and I hit them both about the same distance as I was learning to figure things out. So I took the 19 out of the bag and just played with the 22 until I got my Rouge which is a 4 hybrid at 21 degrees. Don't worry so much about the number on hybrid, use loft as a starting point, but you will just have to figure out what loft gives you the most practical yardage gap between it and your iron. 

Try and figure out what your longest iron is that you can hit consistently. If its a 7, great. A 5 iron, also great. Look at the loft and then see what hybrid is about 2-3 degrees stronger as a starting point and give it a shot. 

I got my father into Titleist 816s and he likes them. He has been getting back into golf over the last year. He has less speed than he used to and still doesn't get to play enough so he has a 19 and a 25. While a large gap on paper, it's practical for his game right now. 

Callaway Mavrik Max 9* Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60S

Callaway Mavrik 4 Wood 16.5* Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70S

Callaway Rogue 4H 21* Project X EvenFlow Black 85 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 5i KBS Max 80 S

Callaway Mavrik Pro 6- AW True Temper Elevate 105 S

Callaway JAWS MD5 52.10S Dynamic Gold 115

Callaway JAWS MD5 56.10S Dynamic Gold 115

Callaway JAWS MD5 60.12W Dynamic Gold 115

Ping Kushin 4

Kirkland 3pc 2.0/Titleist Pro V1x

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For a new golfer hybrids are great. Id recommend any Ping hybrid that fits the budget. The things just want to fly high and straight. 

Go find Cleveland Halo or Hi-Bore hybrids.....on the cheap & perform exceptionally for the beginner 

If you already have irons, I'd recommend that you first figure out where you start having difficulty with the long irons.  You'll also need some idea of the distance that you get with the longest iron

Posted Images

I play a couple of Rogue X's and they are so easy to hit and super forgiving, as you would expect from the "super game improvement" category. Never been much of a hybrid fan, but these have given me so much more confidence, I highly recommend them. Used in average condition they are a touch above $100.

I was able to pick up a used 19 degree Cobra F9 for under $100. I love it so far! Lie angle feels flatter than the F7 I had in the past. 

Cobra King F8 Driver Fujikara Tour Spec Pro 74 Stiff (9 degree setting, Draw Weight Placement, -3/4")
Cobra King F8 3 Wood Aldila NV-2KXV Blue 70 Stiff (14.5 degree setting, -1/2")
Cobra F9 3 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal 4-7 Iron - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 8 Iron Thru G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Callaway Mack Daddy PM 19 Grind 54/14 & 58/12
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (35")

Titleist 816 hybrids are much more forgiving than what I expected. As long as most others as well. 

Ben Hogan GS53 9* with UST Helium stiff  & Ben Hogan GS53 16* with UST Helium stiff

Titleist 816 H2 21* with stiff flex Diamana S+ Blue 70  

Ping G400 irons 5-AW with steel AWT shafts

Callaway MD4 Wide sole wedges 54* & 58*

Seemore Nashville One Studio Series

Recommend the Tour Edge Exotics hybrids, too. 
The CBX119 has a smaller profile, so looks great but less face to hit the ball with (perceived). Can be intimidating for a newer player, but absolute cannons when hit flush.  More reliable and just as long as my 3W. 

I have a 16* of those and the 19* and 22* EXS 220. The latter are a little bigger and thus confidence inspiring, go a mile, easy to flight low, are 130$ new and (almost) a current model with great shaft options.

Fantastic bang for the buck and not one of the big brands, if you’re into that (I am). 

Srixon H65 is another solid suggestion. Ditched my 19* just because I went all Tour Edge at the top of my bag, but I loved that club. 

If your looking for great price to performance on hybrids look at the older cobra baffler hybrids with the graphite design shaft. It's a made for cobra not retail graphite design but they are very easy clubs to hit. The baffler rails help keep the club from digging into ground and maintain speed through impact position. I would really only consider 1 or  2 hybrids replacement for the 4 and 5 or 5 and 6. Put a 7 wood in bag to replace your 3/4 iron and a 5 wood for your 2/3 iron. As a beginner it's smarter to carry less clubs and allows you to grow into the game. Most beginners will hit there 6-pw fine but the 2-5 usually don't go much further than there 6 iron that's when hybrids should start. 

I recommend starting with a 4 hybrid, they can vary from 21 to 23 degrees. I like your approach of keeping entrance price low. I have done that throughout my learning process. Pick up a club, cheap, and spending time with it. 
I will say these clubs are not universal. Know a few hackers that just can’t hit them. So there are certain swings that just don’t like these clubs.

My experience has been great with hybrids. I currently carry up to three hybrids. As I get better I have thought about adding a 4 iron and kind chuckle everytime. Have hit so many good shots with my 4 hybrid I would be stupid to make that move.

I love hybrids and in my experience, any will do - even a steel shafted Ram 4h that came from a AUD250 for a full set + bag deal..:

I still have the Nickent and the Acer in the bag (the Acer I picked for AUD20 bucks somewhere). I also have a TM M1 (2017) 4h, which is great but currently in my "ultra-light (3 clubs and a putter) bag" I like to take out every now and then.

My irons start at 5 - I still don't like hitting anything longer than a 5i, even now that I am at 16 HC.

Use to have a 2h but it broke sadly. My ideal set up (for now at least) would be: Driver, 2h, 4h, 6h, 5-pw, 50o, 54o, 60o, P

image.jpeg

When I think old reliable inexpensive hybrids I think Adams and a close second for any of the Cobra baffler models. Throw in the Cleveland hi-bores too those are solid. I've had success with Titleist 910H. Ping definitely has some solid options as well. You could probably find any one of these and get multiple hybrids for just over $100.

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow T-1100 6.5-X 75G
Cobra King F9 Speedback Tour 3-4 12GD Tour AD DI-8x

Cobra King F9 Speedback Tour 4-5 16GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler HYB 3 19Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid 05 FLEX 100gms

Titleist 910H 24*/27Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid 05 FLEX 100gms
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB 6i / MB 7-PW  DG TI S400
Vokey SM7 52*F / 58*M  TT DG S200
Scotty Cameron 2010 Del Mar Buttonback Special Release 35"

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2021 at 2:09 AM, Collegefbfan said:

Just curious about this stuff and trying to be as knowledgeable as possible.  I know hitting low irons is a hassle for some.  I am just preparing for that to be the deal for me.  So, any older used hybrids that do a great job (not breaking the bank $100 or less per hybrid)?  Does a beginner golfer usually replace the 2, 3, and/or 4 iron with a 2, 3, and/or 4 hybrid?  Or does one around the middle of those usually do the trick?  Many thanks.

Hey mate,

It's easy when you understand the purpose. Here are some sweeping generalisations to get you started.

Golf is a target sport. Irons are designed to hit a ball in a direction, and stop the ball fairly quickly. This allows you to hit a shot that ends as reliably as possible nearest your intended target. In particular, it's a design intended to be accurate both left-right and front-back. Thus, hit it high, falls out of the air, stops.

A wood, in general, is a club designed to advance a ball as its priority. A 3-wood is designed to go far, and often roll, making its front to back accuracy low, and that's a good thing. Lower ball, more run, more total distance.

So what happens is you find somewhere among your irons, they stop going high enough in the air, and you find there's too little distance gap between them. Just to give an example, someone I know can hit a 6-iron and a 5-iron about the same distance. Thus, does not carry a 5-iron. Depending on your swing speed, this might happen between 3 and 4, or 6 and 7. Only you (or your fitter) will know.

A hybrid is designed to be exactly that; an in-between option that allows for the next club distance to be useful. So in my example, a 5-hybrid would be appropriate. It would fly higher than a 5-iron in the same person's hands, and while a little less accurate, would be a good substitution.

When you pass that as being viable, you can add fairway woods. Alternatively, if your swing fits it, 7-woods and 9-woods are good high flight options with a little more stopping ability… but they also tend to be more susceptible to wind and have a slightly larger dispersion area. Many pros do both.

If you have a reasonable swing speed, you'll probably look at 2 hybrids above your irons. Common setups are Driver/Fairway/3h/4h/5-PW irons. This is by no means a hard and fast rule. I use a hybrid for my second longest club, and I do so because I get far better results with very little loss in total distance. I also have one hybrid that's a low 16ish degree bullet factory, and a 20 degree that flies high, lands softly, and substitutes as a 3-iron for me. I can use it in more places than a 3-iron, as well. I'm also not typical.

When looking at hybrids for yourself, if you're starting out, I'd suggest one. If I knew zero about you, and you're asking this question as an astute beginner, I'd suggest to you what I call the "best bet" bag to start with:

10º driver

15-18º 3 high loft / 4 / 5 wood (whatever that company calls it and you hit best off the ground)

22º hybrid (maybe a 19º - see how it compares)

24ºish chunky 4-iron, and maybe a 5 as well.

5 or 6-PW iron set (doesn't have to be same as 4i)

2 wedges, usually recommend 50 & 56º

Any chipper

A putter you like the look of

For hybrids, you "can't go wrong", but that's not exactly true. Hit a few, but pay close attention on a full shot whether the ball goes high and lands "softly", or if it runs out. Either is fine, but understand what you're getting. A good 22 hybrid will give you some other shots, get you out from under trees, out of some weird rough, and go pretty easily in places a fairway wood might not work so well. As has been said, I'd tell you any G400 hybrid is great at that price, but most products are good. If you're getting used, and you find a shaft you like, budget for a new grip for yourself. Never use a used grip. Yuck.

All the best in your new adventure!

Edited by karstens_ghost
  • Like 2

410LST 8º, 2h 15.5º, 3h 20º, 210 4i, Blueprint s400ti, forged 50/54/58, fetch with breakthrough shaft. First par round 4 Oct 2020.

I picked up an Epic flash a year or so ago, and have loved it since.  It kicked out an older Callaway from about 2015.  I don't know why they don't get more love, maybe because they were $300 when they came out.  The 19 degree is the longest most forgiving hybrid I have ever hit.  Also very neutral.  I also got the 22 degree,  don't like it as much, maybe because I like irons more in a 4 iron, but still a good club.

WITB
Ping G425 LST 9.0 Tensei CK Orange 60 X
Ping G410 LST 3W Tensei CK Orange 70 S
Callaway Epic flash 3 hybrid, stock stiff Tensei Silver
Srixon Z585 4-PW Modus 3 105 S
Cleveland CBX 2 46  DG 115 W, Cleveland CBX 2 54/10 DG 115 W, Cleveland CBX Full-Face 58/10 DG 115 W
Bettinardi Inovai 5.0 CS 
Srixon Z Star or XV

1 hour ago, karstens_ghost said:

If you have a reasonable swing speed, you'll probably look at 2 hybrids above your irons. Common setups are Driver/Fairway/3h/4h/5-PW irons. This is by no means a hard and fast rule. I use a hybrid for my second longest club, and I do so because I get far better results with very little loss in total distance. I also have one hybrid that's a low 16ish degree bullet factory, and a 20 degree that flies high, lands softly, and substitutes as a 3-iron for me. I can use it in more places than a 3-iron, as well. I'm also not typical.

Curious as to what 16 degree hybrid you are playing?

I recently put a 17 in the bag and am very happy with the results after knocking one degree of loft off.

55 minutes ago, samwm said:

Curious as to what 16 degree hybrid you are playing?

I recently put a 17 in the bag and am very happy with the results after knocking one degree of loft off.

Ping 410 17º at small or big minus… 220m cuts off the deck, far more accurate than any 3 wood for me. It's about 230-40 off a tee, so I can actually go without driver if I want. However I am planning on upping that particular bad boy to the 425, since it adds even another 10. 

410LST 8º, 2h 15.5º, 3h 20º, 210 4i, Blueprint s400ti, forged 50/54/58, fetch with breakthrough shaft. First par round 4 Oct 2020.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:09 AM, Collegefbfan said:

...  Does a beginner golfer usually replace the 2, 3, and/or 4 iron with a 2, 3, and/or 4 hybrid?  Or does one around the middle of those usually do the trick?  Many thanks.

One complicating factor: Are you talking traditional hybrids - yes, we're there - or iron-replacement (IR) hybrids? Traditional hybrids fall between fairway woods and numbered long irons in lofts and shaft length. Example: The Cobra FlyZ hybrids: 3H = 19* loft and 40.5" shaft. Comparable FlyZ+ Forged 3i had 20* loft and 39" shaft. So, you would have to test out the traditional hybrids to find where the natural replacement/gapping would fall.

On the other hand, the recent Mizuno FLI-HI hybrids are iron-replacement design. The FLI-HIs often match up well with the JPX iron models of the year. The hybrid and corresponding iron would have almost identical shaft length and loft.

Still, the IR hybrids would often launch a bit higher, and might carry a bit farther than the numbered iron. But, IRs are usually easier to fit into the bag than traditionals.

3 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

... So what happens is you find somewhere among your irons, they stop going high enough in the air, and you find there's too little distance gap between them. Just to give an example, someone I know can hit a 6-iron and a 5-iron about the same distance. Thus, does not carry a 5-iron. Depending on your swing speed, this might happen between 3 and 4, or 6 and 7. Only you (or your fitter) will know. ...

KG is bringing up gap analysis for meshing hybrids and irons in your bag. Many golfers find their 4i and 5i, or their 5i and 6i go the same distance. This is the point at which you insert a hybrid, or a higher lofted fairway wood, into the club mix.

And, it's a matter of what works. Some people hit a 4H and 5H better, others hit a 7W and 9W better.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

My partner has the 4 and 6 Cobra Bafflers. Even though they have light flex shafts, I hit them really well. Great designs. 

King F9 10.5, Hzrdus Smoke Black 60g stiff

King SZ 3 Wood @ 16, Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70g stiff

King Utility Iron @ 20.5, Tour AD DI Hybrid 105X

Callaway Apex Pro 2019 Double Dot Tour Issue 4-PW, KBS Tour 120

Tommy Armour VCG 50/8, 56/12, 60/8, S200

Ping Craz-E

Coming from someone who likes a compact iron-like hybrid, I recently demo’d the new tsi3, sim2 rescue, and apex pro and can offer some feedback.

For those who like an open face look, the sim2 top line really flares open to prevent a pull. I found it to be way too much for me.

The Apex pros were great, but the tsi3 really blew me away. Being able to transfer weight to toe (to address pull issues) without messing with face profile (like sim2 rescue) really worked for me. 

wish I could have tried the old pxg hybrids which seem to be very popular as well 

Posted (edited)

I was just at Second Swing yesterday and picked up an Adams XTD hybrid for $40. I also have an Adams 9031 Proto (legendary, feels fanatastic, stayed in Brian Gay’s bag on Tour for years). Hard to beat Adams for ease of use and value. They still had a number of Adams hybrids for sale and I still see them often in the wild. I typically dislike hybrids but these really do swing like irons and they don’t have draw issues. 

I don’t see any reason to buy a new hybrid. It is a club I want to go a specific distance and stop so don’t care about distance gains in new releases. 

Edited by dmeeksDC

I'm a lover the GI Callaway hybrids.  I play X2Hots that are 7-8 years old, my wife plays XR's that are probably 5-6 years old.  Forgiving, long and can be found used on callaway preowned.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

On 5/13/2021 at 9:09 AM, Collegefbfan said:

Just curious about this stuff and trying to be as knowledgeable as possible.  I know hitting low irons is a hassle for some.  I am just preparing for that to be the deal for me.  So, any older used hybrids that do a great job (not breaking the bank $100 or less per hybrid)?  Does a beginner golfer usually replace the 2, 3, and/or 4 iron with a 2, 3, and/or 4 hybrid?  Or does one around the middle of those usually do the trick?  Many thanks.

PING. They work. Any G series but the newer, the better. Used G400 should be under $100. Titleist 816 H1 and 818 H1 (make sure it's H1) are good too, 818 winning MGS top hybrid for 2019. Cobra hybrids within 3 years are good too and easily within range. I bought my son a brand new F8 5 hybrid for $64 on eBay.

As far as set make up for a beginner, don't replace every long iron with a hybrid... yet. I suggest replacing the 3 & 4 iron with one hybrid and the 5 & 6 iron with another hybrid (you aren't replacing the 6 iron, you are adding versatility). Also, keep in mind that hybrids go a little further than the "iron it's replacing." 

While the hybrids are going to be much better at getting the ball airborne, you will still not be able to hit yardage gaps consistently, so there is no need having a hybrid for every iron. I would determine the lofts of the hybrids based off your irons while keeping in mind you are buying used and can't get too picky. The Titleist mentioned above are adjustable so there's that. When replacing the 3 & 4 iron stay closer to the 4 iron loft, maybe a degree or two stronger at most. Loft is your friend right now. The 5 & 6 iron replacement would be perfect at 6 to 7 degrees stronger than your 7 iron. Be carful not to get the lofts of your two hybrids too close to each other. I suggest 4 to 5 degrees of separation. Buy the 3/4 hybrid first then the 5/6 hybrid if you can occasionally hit the 3 & 4 irons well. If you can't hit them at all buy the 5/6 hybrid first and don't think about the 3/4 hybrid until you can consistently hit the 5/6 hybrid.

The first successful run I had with hybrids was a Titleist 23 degree 816 H1. I learned to hit that club well and could cover the yardage of three irons with it. Extremely versatile.

Welcome to golf and enjoy it. Have fun.