Getting back to the game RANT

Posted (edited)

I took a leave from golf due to various reasons for the past 3 years. Decided to start playing again few months ago and started hitting the range.

While I don't have the best looking swing, I do hit the ball quite well to the point where when I'm hitting my driver, other golfers would come over to my stall to watch me hit the balls. 

Yesterday, I went out to the course for the first time in 3 years and it was the biggest embarrassment of my life. I shanked every drive except 3 holes, and my topped the ball all over the place. Distance control was non existent.

Literally wanted to snap all of my clubs but here I am at 7AM hitting the balls at the range again. 

God I love and hate this game.  

Edited by TMaddict

PING G410 LST Driver, 9*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 Stiff
TITLEIST TS3 3 Wood, 15*, Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 Stiff

PING G410 Hybrid, 19* & 22*, Mitsubishi AV Blue 80 Stiff

SRIXON Zx5 - 5,6 N.S.Pro Modus 105 X Softstepped 

SRIXON Zx7 - 7-PW N.S.Pro Modus 105 X Softstepped 

VOKEY SM7 Wedges Jet Black, 50/08F; 54/08M (bent to 55); 60/10D DG Tour Issue S400 

SCOTTY CAMERON Special Select Squareback 2 

ADIDAS 2021 Japan Caddy Bag White/Navy

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Were you still buying clubs while not playing? All your stuff is new according to the sig LOL   Now that is golfWRX

Have you tried custom japanese clubs?

You know it.   Everything has been bought used here in the past 2 months except for the iron set which was custom ordered and the golf bag which I brought back from overseas.     

Were you still buying clubs while not playing? All your stuff is new according to the sig LOL

Now that is golfWRX

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Callaway Epic Subzero 9 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Callaway Epc Subzero 13 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
Callaway Apex 2019 20 w/PX Catalyst 70
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

You know it.

Everything has been bought used here in the past 2 months except for the iron set which was custom ordered and the golf bag which I brought back from overseas. 

• Like 2

VOKEY SM7 Wedges Jet Black, 50/08F; 54/08M (bent to 55); 60/10D DG Tour Issue S400 

1 hour ago, TMaddict said:

You know it.

Everything has been bought used here in the past 2 months except for the iron set which was custom ordered and the golf bag which I brought back from overseas. 

Way to go all in!  You're invested (literally).  With that kind of mind set the slump won't last long.  Power through.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

Hitting balls on the range and hitting them on the course are two completely different animals. If you are committed to getting back to the game and are willing to put in the time, I'm sure you will start seeing better results on the course eventually. Patience is key. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

46 minutes ago, jholz said:

Hitting balls on the range and hitting them on the course are two completely different animals. If you are committed to getting back to the game and are willing to put in the time, I'm sure you will start seeing better results on the course eventually. Patience is key. 

Thanks.

Playing tomorrow at a local course and hopefully it will be better than Wed. 

56 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Have you tried custom japanese clubs?

I've tried TP Japan Forged, Fourteen, Miura, Epon in the past.

On the range, I'm a scratch golfer.  On the course, I'm a scratch-my-head golfer.  What I do on the range NEVER seems to translate to the course.  I've literally hit 3-buckets worth of balls on the range, thinking I figured something out, only to go back to some older swing half-way through the round because what I 'figured out' apparently only works on the range.  But I guess I got some exercise from it at least.  

• Like 2

I hear ya, brother! 

I didn't play at all from sometime in ~2015 until July 2020. The 5 years prior to 2015 I probably played a dozen rounds total, at most. 

Got back into the game during COVID and now I'm playing and practicing regularly. 

I'm not any "good"--I wasn't before I left the game because it wasn't a priority. But I've been working on improvement for real this time.

I played 9 holes at a little executive course (par 29) with my son, getting around that course in +4.

One week later, I played 18 at a more difficult course (regulation par 72), and I went around in +49. Literally could not put the club face on the ball. Tops, s$&#@s, etc. Some of my best shots were snap hooks, because at least they got off the ground and downrange, even if 40 yards left of target lol... 

I felt so sick about it that I couldn't even go to the range for a week. But... Now I'm back!

The beatings will continue until morale improves, right?

I didn't know you could shank your driver.  I thought it was called necking it as Bryson calls it.  I'm messing with you bro.  As for your post, been there, done that. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

18 hours ago, Chief Penguin said:

I didn’t play for nearly ten years, and while I hit really good shots on the range within a few weeks, on-course performance has been a long road. Still haven’t carded anything better than 75, but I went 3 under on the back nine the other day after missing two weeks of play and putting up a +7 on the front.  That’s golf!

I think you summed it up in two words "That's golf".  

Callaway Epic Max with Tensei Blue Raw

TM Sim Max 5 wood with Ventus Blue

TM Sim Max 3 hybrid with Ventus Blue

TM M6 5 hybrid with Hzrdus 

Srixon ZX5 5i&6i with Recoil 95 F4

Srixon ZX7 7i- PW with Recoil 95 F4

52 and 56 degree Ping Forged with Recoil 110 F4

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

Ping Prime Tyne or Spider Tour Black

I know I'm just the guy on the internet but I'm sure it was far from the most embarrassing day of your life. Ever accidentally farted in front of your crush in school, had your fly unzipped in front of a big group, booger in nose during interview. Come on. It's golf and we aren't pros. If people's game slips after a few weeks off, anyone would be lucky to even make contact after 3 years off. You didn't say how good you were before you took time off but whatever it was it's in the past. Perhaps time away from the game contributed to forgetting what real/"not on tv" golf was like. If you drew onlookers at the range, you know it's in you to pound the ball. You have proved that you are physically capable of smashing the ball well enough that you and others admired it. Millions of people on earth right now can't say that but YOU can. And I bet you have at least 3 incredible shots (chips, irons, putts, whatever) that were amazing that you left those out of the story. Can you at least share with us your favorite/best feeling shot of the day?

• Like 1

I was never very good during my first bout with golf in the late 80's and early 90's but could get the club on the ball decent. I took an 18 year break when I shot 3D archery tournaments and picked up the clubs again while the Master's was on in 2009. I got as far as the range and could barely get the driver off the tee. I was shocked at how my swing was totally gone. The next year we took a trip to a golf resort for a convention with my wife's work and I took my clubs and made my way around the course with a ton of bad shots but the few that I hit well gave me a glimmer of hope. I am very fortunate to live on the farm I grew up on and what used to be a cow pasture became my driving range. I slowly put my swing back together.  It will come around for you. Just keep at it. From looking at your list of clubs you have a great start. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood

Titleist 910H 19*
Ping i-e1 5-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

23 hours ago, wkndhckr said:

I know I'm just the guy on the internet but I'm sure it was far from the most embarrassing day of your life. Ever accidentally farted in front of your crush in school, had your fly unzipped in front of a big group, booger in nose during interview. Come on. It's golf and we aren't pros. If people's game slips after a few weeks off, anyone would be lucky to even make contact after 3 years off. You didn't say how good you were before you took time off but whatever it was it's in the past. Perhaps time away from the game contributed to forgetting what real/"not on tv" golf was like. If you drew onlookers at the range, you know it's in you to pound the ball. You have proved that you are physically capable of smashing the ball well enough that you and others admired it. Millions of people on earth right now can't say that but YOU can. And I bet you have at least 3 incredible shots (chips, irons, putts, whatever) that were amazing that you left those out of the story. Can you at least share with us your favorite/best feeling shot of the day?

Thanks for the encouraging words. 

I was 10-12 handicapped before stopped playing. I did have few good shots now that you mention it. I hit a pitching from 132 yds out on par 3 and got it 2 inch off the hole. Sank another 25 ft putt. 

I guess that’s what makes you go back and hit the range the next day. 

I did play another 18 today and i ended up hitting 92. it will be a long way back to low 80s but guess it will be worth it at the end. 

• Thanks 1

I took about 8 years off from the game. Played once or twice a year during that time. Prior I had been a mid single handicap. Got talked into a Bandon trip in there somewhere. In our last of 5 rounds, which had already really put me in my place, I literally topped EVERY SINGLE shot. Not exaggerating. Had I kept score, I’m sure it would have been like 150. My body had had enough of swinging a club. Needless to say, not my most fun round.  Oh and it snowed and hailed about half the round to boot!

Similar happened to me last year.  I went to the range twice and hit the ball like crap.  I then decided to go to a park and just hit some small pitch shots taking no more than a 1/2 swing.  This helped immensely just focusing on making solid contact.  I then went to the range again and started doing the same thing but each time extending my swing until I eventually got up to a 3/4 swing.  I had my friend go with me to the range and take a video and it turns out what I thought was a 3/4 swing was actually a full swing.  I think the longer the layoff there is a tendency to overswing. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Trying to get that range feel to the course is a challenge for so many of us.

I think our intention on the range is totally different...we're thinking of what's possible in a positive way. "Do this, feel this, don't care where it goes." 

On the course we're thinking of what's possible in a negative way. "Gees, remember the last time you played here and topped the ball into the hazard? Don't do that!"