A rant about hybrids...

jetandollie

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Ping G425 Hybrid 4 & 5, and I tend to hook them about 50% of the time. I have no idea why I only hook shots with my hybrids, as I don't hook with my irons or my driver. I have heard hybrids are built with "draw bias" and many people do suffer from hook shots. I have also heard that hybrids are built with a closed face (part of the problem?). I think hybrids need a different swing vs irons. But when I hit my hybrid pure, it is a beautiful shot. 

Does anyone else suffer from hooking the hybrids? Any tips?

Edited by bizkitgto

On 5/14/2021 at 7:41 PM, jetandollie said:

I am not entirely sure what conclusion I am hoping to reach with this, but, based on my "enjoy practice more than playing" thread and how much interest it got, perhaps others here are in a similar mindset. 

A bit about me and my game...

I played an obnoxious amount of golf between age 6 and 18. I am in Canada, so there is no college system here - nor could I ever afford to go even if I wanted. Life took me to the Dominican Republic and Colombia between age 18 and 27. I did not touch a club for nine years due to where I was and what I was doing - and an extreme lack of accessible courses. Back in Canada now, I got back into it last summer when my job shut down and the addiction is right back to where it was. Played 80 rounds last year and have punched in 15 already this year. The only difference for me now vs growing up is that I have no desire to play competitively. Hell, I don't even keep score half of the rounds anymore. I enjoy the walk, I enjoy practicing, I enjoy striking the ball well and plotting around a course. I just no longer have the energy to get mad, upset or frustrated about shots - or chase 325 yard drives. I just want to get to the practice green or course and just relax and hit great shots. 

Before I stopped playing (2009), I had the Titleist CB 695's. Saved all winter to get them one year. Played them 3-PW. I feel like hybrids were not a huge thing then - I could be wrong. We did not have a golf shop anywhere near by and aside from a guy at the course having a TM rescue, I just do not remember seeing them much. Now of course, they are all over from 2i-7i. 

I used to take pride in hitting my 2 driving iron, 3i and 4i. Loved them to death. Naturally, I figured I would get back to where I left off and keep going. But it is no longer there. I am much more inconsistent with ball striking than I ever remember being and there is a gap between how good I remember being (in my head) and how good I actually am. Youtube videos (also new to me vs when I used to play and NEVER thought about instruction) are not helping either. 

The one thing that has held over from youth to adulthood and this restart has been my brutally low ball flight. My driver swing speed is 114 comfortably. I certainly do not drop off with my irons. Talking with friends and remembering back, we always just played the game keeping the ball extremely low. I do not hold greens with any club stronger than 38*, I never remember spinning a ball back - ever - on any green with any shot. Greenside play is exclusively bump and runs with 7i or 8i, rarely does a wedge come out ever. I always play to land short and run it up or let it release to the hole. It has not stopped me from scoring as I broke par when I was younger and now after a year back am in the 70's at 6,600 yards. For me it just is what it is. 

With all of that said, I am incredibly intrigued by hybrids. But not just long irons. I am looking at the Ping G425's 4,5,6 and 7 hybrid. I am way out the golf marketing game and have a lot to catch up in terms of buzz words and such, but what I have noticed is EVERYTHING tends to be focused on handicap and sometimes swing speed. 

"This club is great for high handicappers"

"Low handicappers should only play these clubs"

"Game improvement - the hell does that mean?"

"High swing speed only!"

When it comes to hybrids, it seems any review or discussion is centred around...

"I don't like them because they go left"

"I am a senior so I love them and they help me hit it higher"

"It sat closed so I do not like it"

"I would love to play them, but I just can't have 8 head covers in my bag"

There are comparison videos looking at hybrid vs long iron/wood, but very little about dispersion and consistency of hybrids vs irons - especially for low ball flight players. I could not give two s***'s about ego or what people think of my bag. I will do my own thing and enjoy it. But I am trying to figure out a downside - as an extremely low ball hitter - of loading up on hybrids and taking advantage of height and spin. 

I think the situation is somewhat unique to me because it is really around...

Can I be more consistent both with well struck contact and being able to land it on greens and hold the green using hybrids - despite the potential loss of control due to height and variables that brings in

vs.

Can I be more consistent with continuing to rely running the ball up and having sporadic contact - despite having repeatable distance control and tighter dispersion (I think?) with irons

If hybrids are so much easier to hit and elevate am I a prime candidate for using several of them? 

I don't know, I guess I am just confused and at worst this was just a terrible obscenely long worded question that felt good to type out and get out of my head. But maybe someone can relate and have answers. 

Rant over. 

falling GIF

Used to play a hybrid and it used to be the best club in my bag.  As my swing improved and long irons etc improved, more club head speed - the hybrid became the least accurate in the bag.  I now carry fairway woods and hit them and long irons and my dispersion is a lot better.  Everyone is different I guess.  I do like watching the pros hit hybrids and pump them left into a grandstand, then take a free drop.  They look at their hybrid like its a bit mystery and I think wow it happens to us all.

Cobra LTDx VA Composites Drago 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist TSi2 21 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist AP3 4-PW+48 Tour AMT white x100

Vokey SM9 54.10S (@53) 

Vokey SM9 58.08M

Taylormade Spider EX putter

ProV1X

Hi have tried all type of combinations and just can't get on with any hybrid or fairway.  Too long and upright for a shorty like me and shortening or gripping down just doesn't work.  I don't think I am suited to the graphite shafts either.  I hit my long irons better with a 2i off the tee and up to 3i off the deck.  Of course, I still miss with these clubs but the misses are not as bad as hybrids or fairways.

I have learned to grip down on my driver and hit a 3W distance off the tee if required.  The only downside with my bag is that I can't reach some long par 5s and don't have anything other than a short iron to get out of rough.

That said I am temped to try a 7W.

Biggest problem I have with hybrids is off the tee. Do I hit it like a 3 iron? Or like a 3 wood? 

If I hit it like a 3 wood, I tend to release it too much and hook it. If I hit it like a iron (off the deck) I tend to hit it fat because of the length. For whatever reason, I'm the kind of golfer who is either hitting his woods well and his irons poorly, or his woods poorly and his irons great. To that end, I couldn't trust the hybrid and ultimately ended up with a driving iron. I make an iron swing and accept the fact that it's 10y shorter than an equivalently lofted hybrid. 

Bad swing + mishit on a hybrid = deep and in the woods 

Bad swing + mishit on a driving iron = short and in the rough 

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

Play with three hybrids. Cally super hybrid 2 and ping g 410 3 and 4. 

I echo the heavier shaft sentiment and playing slightly flat (lie angle).

Before I recommend any of the newer brands definitely pick up like a ping rapture or something of that ilk. Lotta love for Adams too. Funny part is those are from around 2009 when you stopped playing.

If you go more modern you have the ability swap shafts but used club prices are insane right now.

Avoid anything from the last five years with a stock shaft though. Even stiff on extra stiff. The OEMs in a bid to say their club is "longer" have progressively dropped weight off their shafts. If your not careful would could get something 70 or 65 grams.

If I were you I would look for something with 90 gram on heavier shaft and if you are going older you might be able to find some with steel shafts which should put you in the zone. 

• Like 1

A fitter I trust told me, “About 90

percent of the players I see line up hybrids on the toe, either a little or a lot, and that will make it go left. The design of hybrids with the toe often being very noticeable usually contributes to it. The look makes people place the ball in what looks like the middle, but it’s not. The flight reflects the toeward impact.”

Set up with the ball position slightly heel side of center and see how you do. 

The hybrids I like look more like irons than woods. Try an Adams Super LS 9031 if you can find one (the white one with a top slot and black face). That’s my favorite along with the 2015/16 Callaway Apex. Brian Gay is not one of the longer hitters on Tour and he kept that Adams 9031 in his bag for years before switching briefly to PXG and now a Callaway. The Adams 9031 is one of the all-time great hybrids. Easy to fade or draw. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

"Buzz's girlfriend....woof"

Looked at those 9031 for poops and gigs. The white ones are kind of ugly. That crease on the top. But I can definitely see how that design would make you think it's more of an iron replacement than fairway wood.

Very nice shafts though. Flee bay has brand new in plastic for $65. 

On 6/2/2021 at 12:43 PM, bizkitgto said:

I have the Ping G425 Hybrid 4 & 5, and I tend to hook them about 50% of the time. I have no idea why I only hook shots with my hybrids, as I don't hook with my irons or my driver. I have heard hybrids are built with "draw bias" and many people do suffer from hook shots. I have also heard that hybrids are built with a closed face (part of the problem?). I think hybrids need a different swing vs irons. But when I hit my hybrid pure, it is a beautiful shot. 

Does anyone else suffer from hooking the hybrids? Any tips?

The Pings have a "flat" setting on the adjustable hosel. That will make is one degree flat and you still have the ability to adjust the loft one degree strong and weak in the "flat" setting. Tends to help with the hooks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

OP, I have a similar SS to you and I'm also a delofter. Currently playing G410 4, 5 and 6 hybrids.

All I can say is there's a point where either a high lofted hybrid or fairway gets plain weird and that's 6H (and 9W) for me. You have to try for yourself, for me 6H trajectory becomes too variable depending on strike and it's a liability into the wind. I'm about to put 6i back in the bag