Arccos CaddyLink vs Apple Watch vs Phone in Pocket

For all the Arccos users out there, just want to see people's preference and if they have any experience with the CaddyLink vs Apple Watch vs Phone in Pocket.

Seeing which one is best and sure there's a few people who are wondering if the CaddyLink is worth it entirely vs what we've been using so far...

-----

WITB

Titleist TSi3 8* Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 70 TX

Titleist TSi2 15* Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 80 TX

Titleist U500 3i Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX or Titleist TSi2 18* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green "Hulk" PVD 6.5 80G

Titleist T100 4-PW Project X 7.0

Titleist Vokey SM8 50F(51)/56M(55)/60T

Scotty Cameron (TBD)

Titleist ProV1

I prefer the Link.  If you just use the phone and Apple Watch, the GPS comes from the phone and if you leave you bag in a position away from where you hit the ball your numbers will be skewed.  I prefer not to have my phone on me and leave it in the bag.  I use the Apple watch just for general (front/middle/back) distances.

It also gets quite windy here, and the Link is better at picking up shots than the phone or watch.  Although, when it's this windy, even the Link can be rendered useless.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS @ 9º w/ Tensei Pro White 1K 50x

Fairway: Callaway Epic Max 3W @ 15º w/ MMT 70s

Fairway: Callaway Epic Max Heavenwood @ 20º w/ MMT 80s

Irons: Callaway Apex TCB 4-A w/ Catalyst 100 6.0

Wedges: Callaway JAWS Forged 56º/60º w/ True Temper S200

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

I've been using the link since release and it's been fantastic. It seems to pickup shots more reliably than the phone, eliminates issues with phone battery life, feels less clunky than having a phone in your pocket, and the quick press to specify the flag location is great to have. The only change I would make for a v2 is to make it slightly larger to improve battery life of the link itself. I find it good for 2.5 rounds which is fine but any battery life improvement would be welcome. I still keep the app running on my phone for when I want to plan out my approach to a hole (figuring out what club to hit to get to my preferred approach distance) but I keep the phone on my cart instead of in my pocket. Highly recommended. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NJBigFish22 said:

I have looked at this and the link looks like the best option for people that don’t like things in pockets or wearing a watch.  I do have a question, if your hitting balls on the range, will the Arccos pick up distances of you shots?

No, Arccos is only active after starting the round on the phone

• Thanks 1

Thanks for everyone response. Went with the CaddyLink as Amazon had it on sale.

• Like 1

-----

WITB

Titleist TSi3 8* Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 70 TX

Titleist TSi2 15* Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 80 TX

Titleist U500 3i Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX or Titleist TSi2 18* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green "Hulk" PVD 6.5 80G

Titleist T100 4-PW Project X 7.0

Titleist Vokey SM8 50F(51)/56M(55)/60T

Scotty Cameron (TBD)

Titleist ProV1

20 hours ago, foamhead said:

I want to get the caddy link, but i feel like one of the most valuable features of the Arccos app is getting yardages with live updates

You can still use the Arccos app while playing using the Link. In fact, you still need to use the app to start the round. The Link just does shot tracking without needing to have a phone in your pocket, and it allows you to mark the hole location with the push of a button, rather than needing to pull you phone out on every green to do it. When playing, I often still use the app to edit any missed shots (mostly tap-in putts -- the Link rarely misses a shot otherwise, except on extremely windy days), and occasionally to use the GPS for front/back distances.

Ping G410 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 46.5", Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Scratch SB-1 3-4 & 6-PW Nippon Modus3 120x or Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW Nippon Modus3 125x
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

26 minutes ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

You can still use the Arccos app while playing using the Link. In fact, you still need to use the app to start the round. The Link just does shot tracking without needing to have a phone in your pocket, and it allows you to mark the hole location with the push of a button, rather than needing to pull you phone out on every green to do it. When playing, I often still use the app to edit any missed shots (mostly tap-in putts -- the Link rarely misses a shot otherwise, except on extremely windy days), and occasionally to use the GPS for front/back distances.

Good to know, are you guys still using a range finder with Arccos?

19 minutes ago, foamhead said:

Good to know, are you guys still using a range finder with Arccos?

Personally, I consider Arccos to be a shot tracker, primarily, and the GPS functionality during a round isn't something I use all that often. Though, on unfamiliar courses, it can be helpful to figure out distances to hazards or bunker or in cases where I don't have line of sight. I do use a rangefinder for yardage most of the time, though.

Ping G410 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 46.5", Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Scratch SB-1 3-4 & 6-PW Nippon Modus3 120x or Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW Nippon Modus3 125x
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

3 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

Personally, I consider Arccos to be a shot tracker, primarily, and the GPS functionality during a round isn't something I use all that often. Though, on unfamiliar courses, it can be helpful to figure out distances to hazards or bunker or in cases where I don't have line of sight. I do use a rangefinder for yardage most of the time, though.

Gotcha, I love the GPS functions especially how it calculate slope, weather etc. 

On 5/15/2021 at 5:29 PM, Cruisin1966 said:

I prefer the Link.  If you just use the phone and Apple Watch, the GPS comes from the phone and if you leave you bag in a position away from where you hit the ball your numbers will be skewed.  I prefer not to have my phone on me and leave it in the bag.  I use the Apple watch just for general (front/middle/back) distances.

It also gets quite windy here, and the Link is better at picking up shots than the phone or watch.  Although, when it's this windy, even the Link can be rendered useless.

If you put the watch in airplane mode after starting the round it should use the internal GPS on the watch. It will use a bit more battery though compared to using the phone's GPS. And it will obviously not be able to send any data to the phone during the round unless you turn airplane mode off again.

Posted (edited)

Been using the Link for a bit now, and have been generally happy with its reliability.  Last 3 rounds, its failed miserably...lost track of where I was, wouldn’t recover, etc.  all three were very windy days, and this thread is first I’ve heard of that being an issue, so thanks for that info!

I also just received an Apple Watch SE.  Is it possible to use the Link to track shots, the Apple Watch as a pseudo-Garmin via Arcoss app, all while the phone stays in the cart with app running?

Lastly, thinking about trying this: Arcoss phone app w/Link...while also running V1 Game via Watch.   Compare end of round performance between the two. Thoughts? Even possible? 

Edited by 968cab

11 hours ago, 968cab said:

. . . I also just received an Apple Watch SE.  Is it possible to use the Link to track shots, the Apple Watch as a pseudo-Garmin via Arcoss app, all while the phone stays in the pcart with app running? . . 

This is how I do it.  Phone in the bag after starting the app.  Watch for distances, and Link to do all the club recognition and GPS

• Thanks 1