I've come to the conclusion from playing on course that I drive better with a deeper faced driver.  I've been playing an old M2 but strayed last summer and the beginning of this season to try an M5 & M6.  Started poking around looking at drivers this morning after my round and am curious what drivers on today's market have deeper faces?  Seems like Titleist still is a fairly deep faced driver, didnt seem like Cally has much.  Is the TS3 (not the TSi) considered deep face?  What others am I missing? 

Thanks!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

find yourself an old Adams 9015d or 9016 for some deep love...    

Do you remember the R9 Super Deep?  Man that thing was a beast.  You had to bring it.  Low launch and spin head.  I would say low launch and spin as the FT-9TA and just as unforgiving. 

Last month I played in a tournament and was paired with a guy that had a PXG 0211 - first time I'd actually seen one in play on a course.  He drove the ball reliably and well but the most remarkable t

Posted Images

Just now, Bigjim1022 said:

I've come to the conclusion from playing on course that I drive better with a deeper faced driver.  I've been playing an old M2 but strayed last summer and the beginning of this season to try an M5 & M6.  Started poking around looking at drivers this morning after my round and am curious what drivers on today's market have deeper faces?  Seems like Titleist still is a fairly deep faced driver, didnt seem like Cally has much.  Is the TS3 (not the TSi) considered deep face?  What others am I missing? 

Thanks!

Most all of the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) brand drivers are deep face designs. The Japanese consumers seem to prefer traditional-pear shaped driver heads, and (at 460CC head size) the only way to achieve that shape is by having a relatively deep face height.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 3-wood

S-Yard XV 5-wood

Srixon H65  4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Posted (edited)

Technically the SIM 2 is considered deeper faced than it's predecessor the OG SIM.  However, it does spin more than the SIM.  So my question is, are you strictly looking for a deep face driver or one that that also spins less? 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

20 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Technically the SIM 2 is considered deeper faced than it's predecessor the OR SIM.  However, it does spin more than the SIM.  So my question is, are you strictly looking for a deep face driver or one that that also spins less? 

Just looking at deep faces drivers, my spin is good so I don’t need to reduce it or add to it really.  I really like the M2 but it’s going on 5 years old now so I was just curious what else is out there and started poking around and didn’t find much 

Posted (edited)

Ts3 and Tsi3, 917D3 and 905S are considered deep face.   Deep face drivers are not as common today as they used to be.  I suspect CAD has affected design in such a way, deep or shallow faces are not as important as internal design.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 3
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW - Tensei AV White "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 - Tensei AV White "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 Tensei AV White "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • Dash-ProV1x, AVX, ProV1
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Ts3 and Tsi3, 917D3 and 905S are considered deep face.   Deep face drivers are not as common today as they used to be.  I suspect CAD has affected design in such a way, deep or shallow faces are not as important as internal design.

Interesting, so would it be a look/comfort thing that I seem to hit them better?  Or I guess it could all be in my head 😂

Edited by Bigjim1022
Just now, Bigjim1022 said:

Interesting, so would it be a look/comfort thing that I seem to hit them better?  Or I guess it could all be in my head 😂

I am not sure look/comfort is behind hitting deep face better, it's more about your swing.  Think of deep vs shallow as one has more vertical face space vs lateral face space.  Deep face internal design provides a different trajectory, compared to Shallow face.  IMO - deep face needs a bit more SS, and it tends to be less forgiving yardage wise with off-center strikes.

FYI: Deep face was quite common in older drivers.  Shallow drivers are the result of CAD influence.  I played deep-face heads (905-S 9.5) for a long time, then switched to TS2 9.5 which is more shallow and forgiving.  Deep face is more for working the ball.  Though I still work my irons, I don't work the driver as much as I used to.  Having said that TS2 is workable left & right, just not as easy due to its forgiving internal design. 

• Like 3
  • SC CA Monterey
8 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I am not sure look/comfort is behind hitting deep face better, it's more about your swing.  Think of deep vs shallow as one has more vertical face space vs lateral face space.  Deep face internal design provides a different trajectory, compared to Shallow face.  IMO - deep face needs a bit more SS, and it tends to be less forgiving yardage wise with off-center strikes.

FYI: Deep face was quite common in older drivers.  Shallow drivers are the result of CAD influence.  I played deep-face heads (905-S 9.5) for a long time, then switched to TS2 9.5 which is more shallow and forgiving.  Deep face is more for working the ball.  Though I still work my irons, I don't work the driver as much as I used to.  Having said that TS2 is workable left & right, just not as easy due to its forgiving internal design. 

Greta info, I tried both the M5 & 6 and wasn’t as long  (not by much, with same shaft) but far worse directionally with both.  I’ve had good luck with both the 905 S & R in the past as well as the old 913 but hated the feel of the 917.  Might be time to try the TS line. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bigjim1022 said:

Just looking at deep faces drivers, my spin is good so I don’t need to reduce it or add to it really.  I really like the M2 but it’s going on 5 years old now so I was just curious what else is out there and started poking around and didn’t find much 

I would recommend the TSi3 or TSi4 drivers then.  Both are deep face drivers and are lower spin than shallow face drivers. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

19 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Do you remember the R9 Super Deep?  Man that thing was a beast.  You had to bring it.  Low launch and spin head.  I would say low launch and spin as the FT-9TA and just as unforgiving. 

• Like 4

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Bigjim1022 said:

Greta info, I tried both the M5 & 6 and wasn’t as long  (not by much, with same shaft) but far worse directionally with both.  I’ve had good luck with both the 905 S & R in the past as well as the old 913 but hated the feel of the 917.  Might be time to try the TS line. 

905-R was the 460 head, shallower face with larger sweet spot, and more forgiving comparable to today's Ts2.  905S was shallow front to back, COG was closer to the face and 400cc, and 905t was kind of an odd ball, don't recall its specs.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • SC CA Monterey
1 minute ago, phizzy30 said:

I recall it but not details.  Since taking up the game, I have been a Mizuno but mostly a Titleist guy since playing.  I played 905-S for a long time; like the R9, better have a solid swing otherwise the ball wasn't going anywhere. 

• SC CA Monterey
1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

I actually had several FT Tour heads that I games years ago, one of my favorite all time heads.  I think the FT9 TOur was the precursor to that. 

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

905-R was the 460 head, shallower face with larger sweet spot, and more forgiving comparable to today's Ts2.  905S was shallow front to back, COG was closer to the face and 400cc, and 905t was kind of an odd ball, don't recall its specs.

The S came stock with the Grafaloy blue, if I recall that was a quite stout shaft. 

Bridgestone JGR driver (used by Matt Kuchar) had pretty deep face. 

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade SIM, 8 degrees (set to 6.5), Fujikura Motore Speeder 661 X-Stiff

3W: Taylormade M5 14 degrees (set to 12.5), VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 915H (3-5H), Ping G30 (6H)Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 (7-P), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Wedges: Bridgestone J33 (50,56,60), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Putter: Directed Force 2.1 Putter

Ball: Titleist Velocity

1 hour ago, Bigjim1022 said:

I actually had several FT Tour heads that I games years ago, one of my favorite all time heads.  I think the FT9 TOur was the precursor to that. 

I had two FT-9TA heads years ago and sold them both.  Regret it.  Should've kept one.  It got to the point where I wasn't playing as much golf as I wanted to and it was getting harder to hit that sucker on the sweet spot often. 

• Like 1

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

49 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I had two FT-9TA heads years ago and sold them both.  Regret it.  Should've kept one.  It got to the point where I wasn't playing as much golf as I wanted to and it was getting harder to hit that sucker on the sweet spot often. 

Yeah the FT Tour was LONG when hit on the screws.  Sadly if my swing was a little off it was hide the women and children. 

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Bigjim1022 said:

Yeah the FT Tour was LONG when hit on the screws.  Sadly if my swing was a little off it was hide the women and children. 

LOL.  I've hit a few houses in my day, oh wait lots of houses I mean. 

• Like 1

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

Posted (edited)

I'd focus on the launch/spin and not focus on the 'forgiveness' so much.  The modern traditionally shaped driver (e.g., TSi3) is almost certain to exceed the ballspeed retention characteristics of a shallower design from even a couple of years ago.  And with some of them, you may be able to actually make it more 'forgiving' for your particular miss if it is consistent (i.e, positioning the movable weight to the max toe position on TSi3 if you're most common miss is a touch to the toe side) or if you tend to miss vertically more than horizontally.

That said, beware the TS4/TSi4 unless you can hit it outside with real balls.  Late 2019, I played with a friend at his club while I was in town on a business trip.  Amongst the rental options was a TS4 with the exact shaft I was playing in my 917D2.  I hit a couple of absolute bombs, a few that were okay but a bit short when they fell out of the air like a dying quail from too little spin, and two that hooked so far off the course they will only be found by deer hunters.

Edited by Aviador Naval
  • Like 1

917D2 9.5 w/S+

TS2 16.5 and 21 w/AD-DI

ZX-U 3i w/NS 950GH -or- 818 H1 23 deg w/AD-DI

ZX5 5i - 6i and ZX7 7i - PW w/Modus 105

SM7 50-12, SM7 54S, and SM6 58-12K @ 59

Ping MnBn MyDay

13 minutes ago, Aviador Naval said:

I'd focus on the launch/spin and not focus on the 'forgiveness' so much.  The modern traditionally shaped driver (e.g., TSi3) is going almost certain to exceed the ballspeed retention characteristics of a shallower design from even a couple of years ago.  And with some of them, you may be able to actually make it more 'forgiving' for your particular miss if it is consistent (i.e, positioning the movable weight to the max toe position on TSi3 if you're most common miss is a touch to the toe side) or if you tend to miss vertically more than horizontally.

That said, beware the TS4/TSi4 unless you can hit it outside with real balls.  Late 2019, I played with a friend at his club while I was in town on a business trip.  Amongst the rental options was a TS4 with the exact shaft I was playing in my 917D2.  I hit a couple of absolute bombs, a few that were okay but a bit short when they fell out of the air like a dying quail from too little spin, and two that hooked so far off the course they will only be found by deer hunters.

Interesting info, thank you!  I really like the look of Titleist drivers, is there a huge difference in the TS bs the TSi drivers?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Bigjim1022 said:

Interesting info, thank you!  I really like the look of Titleist drivers, is there a huge difference in the TS bs the TSi drivers?

Unfortunately I can't help here.  I'm still happily in the 917D2 (which is the shallower version but has a much more rounded appearance than either the TS2 or TSi2 and looks better to my eye...) and allows one to bias the weight toward the toe.

I will be in the TSi3 before the end of the year.  I've demo'd it multiple time with a couple of different shafts.  It works better for me than the TSi2 as my miss is consistently a touch to the toe side OR a touch high/low.  Therefore, TSi3 design characteristics favor my tendencies.  At the moment, I'm simply taking my time to gather more data and determine whether I'm better off with the 9 degree head in it's standard position or the 10 degree head lofted down a touch and whether I can justify the AD-DI shaft upgrade.

Edited by Aviador Naval

917D2 9.5 w/S+

TS2 16.5 and 21 w/AD-DI

ZX-U 3i w/NS 950GH -or- 818 H1 23 deg w/AD-DI

ZX5 5i - 6i and ZX7 7i - PW w/Modus 105

SM7 50-12, SM7 54S, and SM6 58-12K @ 59

Ping MnBn MyDay

12 minutes ago, Bigjim1022 said:

The price on the 0211 seems decent what shaft did you go with?  To be honest I hadn’t even really though if PXG 

I’m currently switching between a Mitsubishi Basarra GG stiff shaft and an Aldila Rogue Black Regular shaft.  I mentioned it a few places but it just seems like the ball comes off the face differently with the 0211.  I call it explosive but yesterday my BIL called it violent lol.  I fully believe it is a better looking 2016 m2. It also feels, sounds, and performs better for me than the m2 did. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

I’m currently switching between a Mitsubishi Basarra GG stiff shaft and an Aldila Rogue Black Regular shaft.  I mentioned it a few places but it just seems like the ball comes off the face differently with the 0211.  I call it explosive but yesterday my BIL called it violent lol.  I fully believe it is a better looking 2016 m2. It also feels, sounds, and performs better for me than the m2 did. 

Wow better than the M2?  Interesting, I really like the M2 but candidly haven’t tried many other drivers besides the M5/6.  I tried an epic for a minute but hated it. 

19 minutes ago, Bigjim1022 said:

Wow better than the M2?  Interesting, I really like the M2 but candidly haven’t tried many other drivers besides the M5/6.  I tried an epic for a minute but hated it. 

For me it is better in every way. From what I can remember of the m2 they have a very similar head shape but I never really cared for the thick white top with the black. It is what ultimately caused me to move on to something else. 

• Like 1