2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best value ball?

Ckillian212

Define value. Value to you, may not be value to someone else. It’s a relative term, but if you say below a certain threshold, it makes it less relative. I think the Snell balls are a value. My father plays Kirkland balls because he thinks he shouldn’t have to pay over a dollar a ball

Edited by jpbova

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

Spalding SD Tour. Cheap, can usually get them at Walmart, very durable.

I'm actually really liking the Spalding Pure Speed. But I have an affinity for cheap balls. 🤣

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Kirkland balls are the best value on the market... it’s not even close.

$1 a ball for urethane... next closest option is $2 a ball... 

it’s not the cheapest ball, but it’s definitely the best value... if you have a Costco membership and it’s not too spinny for you it’s an awesome ball.

• Like 4

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

The Kirklands are cheap, but they're not great. Bad fit for a lot of players due to the spin.

My opinion, for a tour ball, the srixons are the best value when they run their annual deal despite the occasional seam issue.

Maxfli tour on sale are also a great deal, if not as good a performer, at least not for me.

The Snell balls are fantastic and depending on the other two balls' sales, they stack up on performance and price.

No other tour balls that I know of run those kind of deep deal prices.

If you don't need a tour ball, there's a ton of good deals. I loved the d2 feel, but the hammer version isn't the same. The srixon soft feel is fine, but not really long at least not for me.

My favorite current two piece is the Callaway supersoft. They're really great balls and reasonably priced.

If I was going to pay full price for a ball money no object, I'd play TP5x all day.

Kirkland 3 piece balls are $24.99 for 2 dozen.  No membership is needed to order online but you have to pay shipping. No clue when the new 4 piece will be available.  

I've seen Spalding SD Tour and SD Tour X for as low as $6 a dozen in Walmart stores in the past but they've disappeared altogether from stores near me lately. Lowest I've seen online (Amazon) is around $15 a dozen.  Reviews are mixed but I haven't had any issues with the X.  

TP5 and TP5X practice balls can be had at about $20 a dozen.  You can buy either TP5 or TP5X and they typically say what year the balls are from.

A box of Pro V1 practice balls can have a mixture of V1 and V1X and doesn't there is no indication of what year the balls might be.  I don't know of a way to order just V1 practice or just V1X practice.  

Haven't seen a sale on the Maxfli Tour balls in forever.  They were 2 for $50, then 2 for $60.  New version is now out at 2 for $60 with the older version priced at 2 for $55.

I may have missed some but I can't remember any recent Srixon BOGO deals.  Seemed like they did it every few months for a while but I haven't seen one this year and I'm not even sure if I saw one last year.

Snell gets high praise (I haven't tried them yet).  Smaller company so it's not uncommon to see some of their models listed as out of stock, especially yellow balls.  Even for what they do have in stock, they are currently limiting customers to 2 dozen per order, so no deep discounts for volume are currently available.

• Like 1

Not really much way to answer this without knowing what you want a golf ball to DO, and how much you are willing and able to spend.  Even then, there are trade offs.

If you are going to ONLY make price the determinant, then it doesn't really matter much.  You are going to end up with a two-piece Surlyn ball, and the only real decision you have to make is if you want a softer or firmer sound/feel. 

If you want a multi-layer premium ball, then you can start at the low end of the price spectrum with Snell.  They are very, very good golf balls, and in bulk don't cost much more than the two-piece Surlyns. 

Another option is to decide that you are NEVER going to pay full retail for top of the line balls like the ProV1, and stock up at key points of the year.  One of those comes at the end of the year when they knock $10 or so off the price to clear out inventory before the new stuff comes out.  With Titleist, they also run a loyalty program where you buy three and get one free in the spring each year, which effectively does the same thing to the price.  I take all of this a bit farther; any pro shop credit I have, or any gift cards I get, go to golf balls, and my family knows to give me gift cards for birthdays and Xmas accordingly. 

I'll mention one other thing about ProV1's.  The covers are just crazy durable IMO, and IF you don't lose a lot of golf balls, the per round cost is perhaps comparable or lower than balls that carry a lower per dozen cost because they darn things last so long.  Sort of like the operating cost of a Camry or an Accord, to use a poor analogy.

Vice Golf balls are a good deal, if you buy 5 boxes with shipping charges to Canada it will run you just under maybe 35$ CAD a box if you spread the shipping over. That's a really good deal. I have used the Vice Pro and really liked it. When i need to order balls again i may go this route.

I find Srixon's to be a great deal too. For whatever reason they never changed their pricing like everyone else. TMAG, Titliest , Bridgestone all upped their pricing per dozen to 60-65$ CAD the past couple of years. Srixon still charges 49$ for the Zstar or XV. It's by far the best price for a "tour played" ball

I just bought 5 boxes of 2020 Z-Stars for 29$ a dozen since they were overstocked...So that was the best deal i could find.

I definitely liked the Vice balls tho---their site says sold out for basically all of them

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

A quick 3-minute browse through eBay comes up with a couple possibilities. I only looked at Condition=NEW urethane balls from major brands.

TP5X for around $22/dozen, shipped

6 Dozen New Taylormade TP5x Practice Golf Balls TP-5x Practice 72 Balls 6DZ | eBay

Wilson Staff Duo Urethane for $20/dozen plus $10 shipping per order (you could get 4 doz for $90)

Wilson Staff Duo Urethane White Golf Balls - 1 Dozen | eBay

It'll take more than a couple minutes and you might have to shop every day for a week or two but you can pretty easily find better deals than those. The key is to not care about the particular brand and model, to have a little patience shopping and to buy anywhere from 4 to 10 dozen at a time to get the best price and save on shipping.

Hard to get much under $25-$30 for one or two dozen but if you're willing to stock up on several dozen at a time $20/dozen or even occasionally $15/dozen is doable. 

Rock Bottom Golf, used balls. Lay off the PV1s and AVXs. Anything else, Chrome Soft, TP5s, Bridgestone can be had for around buck to buck and half factoring in shipping. Get your balls 36 at a time for the price you pay for a dozen. Get more and free shipping. Almost enough balls for a year.

On 5/15/2021 at 12:10 PM, Ckillian212 said:

What’s the best value ball to use? Not ready to discard Pro V’s every round 

I've played a 2021 ProV1X for 5.5 rounds now. The only reason I'm retiring it is because I almost lost it on the 18th hole yesterday. They are the most durable tour ball I've ever played.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

4 minutes ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

I've played a 2021 ProV1X for 5.5 rounds now. The only reason I'm retiring it is because I almost lost it on the 18th hole yesterday. They are the most durable tour ball I've ever played.

I've been playing the 2021 Pro V1 (not Pro V1x) for several months. They're real durable in terms of not getting damaged to where I have to take one out of play. But I do seem to accumulate a few little smudgy marks on the white ones after they've made a couple visits to the trees or been hit off hardpan. I think it is just a paint thing because it still feels totally smooth.

I switched to the yellow ones and they don't even have those smudges after 2-3 rounds. Very durable, about the only thing that will do one in is catching a little chip of rock between the club and ball on a bunker shot (our bunkers are in awful condition these days). But that always puts a  gouge in the wedge too. Never going to be a ball that's tougher than stainless steel!

3 hours ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

I played a Pro V1X for 5 seconds last weekend.  YMMV.

• Like 4

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

16 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

I played a Pro V1X for 5 seconds last weekend.  YMMV.

Ha. I was was par going into 18 and was more worried about not losing the ball than shooting par. I pulled the drive left into blackberry brambles and my playing partner was dedicated to helping find the ball. We found it and I had to take an unplayable.

Part of me feels like the ball has earned retirement and the other half wants to see how far it can ride. Its definitely impacting my game; it's like "Wilson" now.

Edited by Fairways_and_Greens
  • Haha 1

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

When I'm not playing ProV1 the next best thing for me is the most recent Vice Pro. I've had great luck with durability and it's hard for me to tell a huge difference between it and the ProV1. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 9:22 PM, cgasucks said:

Maxfli Tours I think give you a lot of bang for your buck...

This!! I'm fully onboard with these, i put these in the bag exclusively last week.

Shot 78 my first round strictly using them.

Played in a shamble and was hitting them amazingly

Then played this past weekend shot 2 over on the front and 10 over on the back.  Yes I know I choked on the back haha but had a few drives go in the native grass, found them so didnt take a penalty but you just have to hack out of that stuff onto the fairway.

Didnt lose a single ball in either of the 'real rounds'.

Am playing again tomorrow and super excited.

I am a 13 by the way (but those rounds dropped me a fully 1.5 strokes).

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, nlinneman20 said:

This!! I'm fully onboard with these, i put these in the bag exclusively last week.

Shot 78 my first round strictly using them.

Played in a shamble and was hitting them amazingly

Then played this past weekend shot 2 over on the front and 10 over on the back.  Yes I know I choked on the back haha but had a few drives go in the native grass, found them so didnt take a penalty but you just have to hack out of that stuff onto the fairway.

Didnt lose a single ball in either of the 'real rounds'.

Am playing again tomorrow and super excited.

I am a 13 by the way (but those rounds dropped me a fully 1.5 strokes).

I hear ya.  Those balls (I think) are the closest to Pro V1 performance that is not made from a major OEM giving you lots of value.  You'll get even more value if you stock up when Dick's offers it in a BOGO deal.

Edited by cgasucks

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

1 hour ago, cgasucks said:

I hear ya.  Those balls (I think) are the closest to Pro V1 performance that is not made from a major OEM giving you lots of value.  You'll get even more value if you stock up when Dick's offers it in a BOGO deal.

Agreed!!

O I should mention how long they are, my driving distance avg on my garmin watch increased by like 10 yards from the last couple rounds I played with these balls.

Glad to have finally found a 'go to' ball and not have to debate which ball to use every round.  (at least I think I have until i shoot 100 tomorrow 🤣)

• Like 1