2021 PGA Championship - Phil!

tiderider

29 minutes ago, dalehead said:

How much “actual security” do you need to handle a crowd that size? The National Guard? The cops who were accompanying Phil and Brooks did their best to surround them coming down 18, but the sheer numbers of people were overwhelming.

It's obvious that the answer to your question is "more than they had on hand." 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

15 minutes ago, Hattie Pants said:

There is a 0% chance a fan ran up and punched, kicked, kneed or anything elsed on brooks knee. He’s being a giant lady part. Complain about your knee if you missed the cut by 8 and can’t get through anything. Don’t finish 2nd on a course like that hitting 350 yard drives and then wane on and on about your knee. Let the media make excuses for you, they were more than ready to. There’s a reason he was so well um not sure what actually happened I don’t know in his interview. Nothing happened. He was flailing around for excuses sounding like a baby. 

No issue with him being pissed, sore loser, 100% get it and understandable. Don’t make up fake crowd junk and complain about your knee after finishing 2nd, I’m sure it hurts, but it was good enough to win. 

Honestly I thought his knee was hurting him the whole round. Looked like he was walking a little funny to me.  

I don't think a fan ran up and knee'd him, if anything maybe they bumped knee on accident but then again. People have seemed to become bigger butt holes here lately so I can't say it didn't happen 100%

But he comes of as making excuses like Lebron Lames and his I saw 3 goals and shot at one...man get out of here with that mess

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sneaky_pete said:

I've always been a bit indifferent to Phil.  I think it's that half smart grin he has on his face all the time and the tip of the hat - never really did anything for me.  The "fan moved my ball" incident didn't need to happen, especially when the spectator said it it was further up the hill and rolled down a foot or two when it was dropped and Phil moves it like two inches.  He should have played it where it lies and just got on with it.  Soured a great moment in sport for mine.  Great result for Phil and golf in general.  

I still reckon Tigers win at The Masters is my greatest golfing moment, maybe even sporting moment.  I'd never been a fan of Tiger either, didn't like him at all, but it was wonderful to see him complete the comeback after he was so far gone it was doubtful he'd even swing a club again.  Never been so happy for someone and I was on the edge of my seat just willing him to win that thing.  Awesome and unforgettable and I have a new respect for him and his achievements.  Hope we see him out there again and competing.

50 isn't old.  We've recently seen some great performances by Westwood, Harrington, Cink, Mickelson, Stricker, Casey probably plenty of others too.  I don't think any of them have lost any speed and are still getting it out there like they always have.  Sure the younger guys are more powerful, and hit the ball further, but we've seen that a power game isn't the path to certain victory every week.  A power game and physique like Bryson's and Koepka's isn't something they are going to be able to maintain well into their forties - they are going to have adjust their games over time to cope with age, if their bodies are still functioning properly to even do it.  I don't see that age would have affected the mental side of players games in their 40's and 50's either, in fact they probably have an advantage in terms of experience.  I think the biggest factor for older players that affects performance the most is the stuff outside the game.  As you get older you get married, have families etc. so the balance between golf and your responsibilities at home probably takes more away from you than anything else - life isn't just all about golf anymore and you don't have the time to dedicate to the game you did when you were in your twenties.

While that moment probably didn't need to happen. I am not sure what the rules are in that situation. I just assumed when the ball is artificially moved by and outside source, that you have to put it back to its original location. There were some different rules scenarios there as well with the "sandy areas" and such. 

• Like 1

TM M4 8.5 Atmos Red

TM Original One Mini 13.5 Diamana F

TM Sim TI 5 wood Diamana F

Sub 70 TAIII 4&5 KBS $-Taper Lite

Sub 70 649 6-P KBS $-Taper Lite

Sub 70 286 50,54 KBS $-Taper Lite

Edel D-Grind 58 KBS Tour Rev 2.0

LAB Directed Force 2.1 73* 

4 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

I zoomed this pic From one of the articles you shared.

For some perspective on being in the thick of the scene 

864A9F47-F6AF-4EB5-80BD-C24F051B7860.jpeg

Lol. He was on no danger though. That guy there would loan him his own bed of need be.  Not that I’m ok with the security break down.  Just saying.  They’d have flogged anyone trying to hurt the players.  No bad intent at all.   Biggest fear is accidental happenings. 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

What a tournament finish. Not one hole was there a gimme par if you got a shot a little off line. At one point in the 3 RD round Phil was -10 and lead by five. He played the remaining holes in 4 over and still won by 2.  The course and conditions demanded in the present golf from everyone and a 50 yr old did it the best.  
A lot of players talk about being ok with a bogey in a major but not making doubles or worse. Phil had no doubles the final round but all the chasers did. He managed his misses very well and he and his brother figured out the wind and trajectory needed better than the others. 
as for BK he gets less credit than he deserves. Finishing 2 nd on that course while rehabbing his knee is Herculean. He played well enough to win. His short putting on the weekend cost him just like it has cost Phil in U.S. opens. 
the 18 th fairway scene was inexcusable and I believe the result of the PGA not running big events regularly. The whole thing should have been worked out before the mob took over. Hopefully BK suffered no set back on his knee. I can’t think of another sport that allows fans close proximity to the competitors within the field of play during the competition. But the same crap happened in the 91 Ryder cup here. Also run by the PGA...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, farmer said:

If BK's knee was bothering him, he should have shut down and followed his Dr's advice.  This is how a chronic knee condition happens.

I wanted Phil to win, but I was waiting for that Phil "Moment" when he derails.  Happy that he never had that moment, and it did keep me engaged.

I can admire BK's back story, but I'm tired of his crybaby show. You want to like the guy, but he makes it hard. He popped off last year and got dusted on Sunday. Got beat this year and we get more BK whining...

• Like 2

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

13 hours ago, PZero said:

You should go read what Arnie's Army did to Jack back in the day.

This stuff has been going on forever and in the spotlight for the last 25 years. It is what it is. I actually thought the crowd wasn't bad today.

After Covid, after no fans at venues, you ain’t seen nothin yet. This will happen around the world. Phil needed this, golf needed this, the sports world needed this. I’m sure BK had protection in the crowd and Phil did. Unfortunate comments from BK. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RainShadow said:

Well, a lot of folks didn't like Tiger for the same reason......

This comparison of Bruce to Tiger needs to go.    Bruce or Brooks ( with and without goatee ) doesnt belong in the same convo.  And I’ve never seen tiger blame others for him loosing.  Only got mad at himself. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Not sure how anyone wasn't  totally gripped by that round yesterday especially early on with the multi shot swings. I kept waiting for Phil to do a Phil thing but even his misses were not so bad including his swamp ball that barely trickled in. That might have been his worse swing as he appeared to kinda chop it but overall what a great moment for golf and sport in general. Hard not to be taken in with the historic nature of the outcome and being able to say you watched it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hattie Pants said:

There is a 0% chance a fan ran up and punched, kicked, kneed or anything elsed on brooks knee. He’s being a giant lady part. Complain about your knee if you missed the cut by 8 and can’t get through anything. Don’t finish 2nd on a course like that hitting 350 yard drives and then wane on and on about your knee. Let the media make excuses for you, they were more than ready to. There’s a reason he was so well um not sure what actually happened I don’t know in his interview. Nothing happened. He was flailing around for excuses sounding like a baby. 

No issue with him being pissed, sore loser, 100% get it and understandable. Don’t make up fake crowd junk and complain about your knee after finishing 2nd, I’m sure it hurts, but it was good enough to win. 

i agree, I was exaggerating a bit, I don't think someone punched or hit him

3 hours ago, north_east_pro said:

Will be interesting to keep an eye on the secondary market pricing in the coming weeks for sure to see if there is a jump.

There certainly has been for the Taylormade Original One Mini Driver over here in the UK....

• Like 1
Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver/MCA Vanquish 4 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15.0 degree (@ 17) 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird 34” putter/Stroke Lab double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Lol. He was on no danger though. That guy there would loan him his own bed of need be.  Not that I’m ok with the security break down.  Just saying.  They’d have flogged anyone trying to hurt the players.  No bad intent at all.   Biggest fear is accidental happenings. 

Lol, everybody know “that guy”

He still say,

”That’s what she said”

🤣

• Haha 1

Trying to give Brooks a break as overall I don't really care about the off-course comments.  Ya, he can use some media coaching but he just blew a chance at a major, a really good chance, and feeling terrible what can he say?  Last place I am sure he wants to be is doing the media Q and A.  

Where I cannot give Brooks a break is this is 2 years in a row going into R4 of the PGA Championship and he acts like all he has to do is show up and win because he won 2 in a row '18 and '19 and two US Opens.  The game plan he showed up with to win in 2019 and turn away the surging Tiger was nowhere to be seen yesterday.  It wasn't the knee, it was mental.  I will buy the possibility that the knee is what is causing him to tinker with the putting stroke the last few weeks and he has not built up the confidence for the pressure situations...that's still mental.

I am sure he is kicking himself because he didn't really pressure Phil.  If Phil was down 2 shots getting to the turn, then he doesn't win, but Brooks let Phil just play his own game, manage his own game, with lots of pressure on his own, but not from Brooks.

But enough on Brooks, he will be more than fine.  He will continue to contend...

Full credit to Phil.  He showed what Champions are made of.  All those years of experience can be harnessed to another go at it.  It's still nowhere near easy, nowhere near a given at 50 (nearly 51) just because if fitness, diet, etc...51 is still tough to win at that course...very tough.  One of the best major wins in history for sure.

2 hours ago, sneaky_pete said:

I've always been a bit indifferent to Phil.  I think it's that half smart grin he has on his face all the time and the tip of the hat - never really did anything for me.  The "fan moved my ball" incident didn't need to happen, especially when the spectator said it it was further up the hill and rolled down a foot or two when it was dropped and Phil moves it like two inches.  He should have played it where it lies and just got on with it.  Soured a great moment in sport for mine.  Great result for Phil and golf in general.  

I still reckon Tigers win at The Masters is my greatest golfing moment, maybe even sporting moment.  I'd never been a fan of Tiger either, didn't like him at all, but it was wonderful to see him complete the comeback after he was so far gone it was doubtful he'd even swing a club again.  Never been so happy for someone and I was on the edge of my seat just willing him to win that thing.  Awesome and unforgettable and I have a new respect for him and his achievements.  Hope we see him out there again and competing.

50 isn't old.  We've recently seen some great performances by Westwood, Harrington, Cink, Mickelson, Stricker, Casey probably plenty of others too.  I don't think any of them have lost any speed and are still getting it out there like they always have.  Sure the younger guys are more powerful, and hit the ball further, but we've seen that a power game isn't the path to certain victory every week.  A power game and physique like Bryson's and Koepka's isn't something they are going to be able to maintain well into their forties - they are going to have adjust their games over time to cope with age, if their bodies are still functioning properly to even do it.  I don't see that age would have affected the mental side of players games in their 40's and 50's either, in fact they probably have an advantage in terms of experience.  I think the biggest factor for older players that affects performance the most is the stuff outside the game.  As you get older you get married, have families etc. so the balance between golf and your responsibilities at home probably takes more away from you than anything else - life isn't just all about golf anymore and you don't have the time to dedicate to the game you did when you were in your twenties.

50 is old when no other 50 year old has ever won a major before

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

8 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

Trying to give Brooks a break as overall I don't really care about the off-course comments.  Ya, he can use some media coaching but he just blew a chance at a major, a really good chance, and feeling terrible what can he say?  Last place I am sure he wants to be is doing the media Q and A.  

Where I cannot give Brooks a break is this is 2 years in a row going into R4 of the PGA Championship and he acts like all he has to do is show up and win because he won 2 in a row '18 and '19 and two US Opens.  The game plan he showed up with to win in 2019 and turn away the surging Tiger was nowhere to be seen yesterday.  It wasn't the knee, it was mental.  I will buy the possibility that the knee is what is causing him to tinker with the putting stroke the last few weeks and he has not built up the confidence for the pressure situations...that's still mental.

I am sure he is kicking himself because he didn't really pressure Phil.  If Phil was down 2 shots getting to the turn, then he doesn't win, but Brooks let Phil just play his own game, manage his own game, with lots of pressure on his own, but not from Brooks.

But enough on Brooks, he will be more than fine.  He will continue to contend...

Full credit to Phil.  He showed what Champions are made of.  All those years of experience can be harnessed to another go at it.  It's still nowhere near easy, nowhere near a given at 50 (nearly 51) just because if fitness, diet, etc...51 is still tough to win at that course...very tough.  One of the best major wins in history for sure.

Mental or the course is so so hard and it's not totally controlled by the golfer ??

40 minutes ago, indianagolf2 said:

Mental or the course is so so hard and it's not totally controlled by the golfer ??

No doubt the course was hard, pressure making it harder, but that being said...

Ancer -7

Harrington -3

Rose -5

Morikawa -4

Rahm -4

It was there for the taking, but to me, I didn't see enough focus.

34 minutes ago, North Butte said:

For every hour later you tee off on Sunday, shooting -5 or -7 gets about 10x harder. There's always a few guys teeing off 4 hours ahead of the leaders who go low. Good for them, it earns them some extra money.

Wish I could like this more than once. Much easier to go low when you're pretty well out of the tournament. 

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

19 hours ago, ilikegolf26 said:

There are ropes out there for a reason.  It’s not “powerful.” Those people looked like imbeciles. 

I thought the scene coming up 18 was incredible. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

8 hours ago, chillybilly said:

Nantz is like Skynet now.  He has become self-aware and therefore dangerous.  Many (most?) people involved in sports have become accustomed to these sports talk show or podcast long-form interviews in which they do their I'm-just-a-normal-guy-who-likes-a-burger-and-a-beer routine.  NFL coaches pretend not to be crazed football OCD types, Tour players pretend to be humble about their abilities etc.

Nantz is having none of this proletarian nonsense.  Perhaps he gets points for being true to himself but his 'candor' involves discussing his home on Pebble Beach GL with its miniature par 3 hole and stories of having Nick Faldo over for a cookout, his awarding-of-personal-endorsement-Vineyard-Vines-necktie to an NCAA champion, his busy first two weeks in April doing March Madness and immediately going to Augusta, and his wine business.

To be fair, Nantz and his NBC counterpart Dan Hicks have the thankless task of shoehorning sponsor mentions and channel promos into every idle moment.  Network suits still believe that they can generate audience overlap between a major golf championship and the ridiculous Queen Effing Latifah ridiculously cast as The Equalizer in an even more ridiculous remake of a show and a film that were ridiculous in the first place.

Don't be dissing Edward Woodward.  But you are correct on most everything else your post.

• Like 1