Missing short putts- what helped you?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I changed my grip to left hand low.  It helps keep my shoulders level when I putt.   It's not for everyone but works for me.

Go to practice green and peg up a tee.  Practice trying to hit the tee with your short putts.  If you can hit the tee or narrowly miss you will hole the putt on a standard hole.  

I will attest that this video is valid and that you should stand where you see a straight line.  Me being a former baseball player I used to try to get my eyes right over the top of the ball because I

Posted Images

I first learned where I was aimed and how to aim correctly, which took a putter change to a model that was easier for me to square to the line (Ping My Day with small Ping grip). Second, I practiced rolling the ball on line without manipulating the club/face angle. Lots of 3 & 6 foot putts. I chose to correct my mechanics using the proper tool and not keep looking for the quick fix band aid.

I believe that many players miss short putts because of improper aim. I found that my improper aim was caused by my skewed perception of where many putters are aimed. When the putter is not aimed correctly, then the putter face must be manipulated to get the ball rolling on line. Very difficult to do consistently. Especially when the manipulation must be completed at different rates depending on the length of the stroke and putt.

• Like 2

5. Aim

If you can't aim you wouldn't be able to hit water putting off a dock. Find a putter that can aim where you want it and those putts will go in. Even if you know your alignment issues that can help, like some pros a straight putt they'll aim on the edge for example. But these guys know exactly where to aim and miss.

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

WITB Thread

A tip that I continue to use which I hear Sir Nick Faldo suggest a lot on US golf TV coverage is to just focus on the starting position of the ball & just listen for the ball to drop in the hole instead of quickly looking up to see if it will make it as it prevents excessive upper body roll to the target on the through stroke. 

Titleist TS2 10.5* Driver

Titleist TS2 13.5* Fairway

Titleist TS2 16.5* Fairway

Titleist 716 T-MB 3-4 irons

Titleist 660 5-9 irons

Vokey SM7 Tour Chrome 48* Wedge

Vokey SM Oil Can 54* & 60* Wedges

Scotty Cameron Tour Newport Putter

▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Posted (edited)

Practice ... and get yourself one of these. I use mine about 2 days a week from 10 feet and 4 feet.  You don’t miss short putts if your stroke is solid, start line is right and aim is correct.   If your decelerating and want an aid to help with that look at the “ balls of steel”.  I have them and inside 3 feet you start hammering putts in the back of the hole. 

EE1613DA-8AFC-437F-88B5-82EF8CF0ADF5.jpeg

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 1

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

I used a laser putt on my putter to see where I was actually aimed and then did the Phil Michelson 3 foot drill religiously on the nastiest slope I could find on the putting green until my make percentage was 96% or better.  I would then practice lag putts from various distances lagging them into that same circle knowing that I would make 96% or better.  There is no shortcut but it made me a much  better putter.  

• Like 2

You have to know where you're aimed and you must be able to roll the ball consistently. Find a putter that fits your stroke and your aim point is correct. Putt on a yardstick until you can make the ball roll end to end consistently. While doing this, get into a solid pre-shot routine where you do everything the same way at the same pace, everytime. It's not easy but definitely doable.

• Like 1

Titleist JDM TSi3  9*                     Fujikura Ventus Red 6X

Exotics CBX119 15* 3WD.             Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Exotics CBX119 18* 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5
MIURA CB57 4-7                            MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001 8-P                       MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 Prototype 1.5 Beach 34/350 (A010656)

Practice makes short putt perfect, with alignment tools of course. 

By the way, this username "PingPoncho", this does not mean ping pong ball, does it? 

Cobra SZ 9*  Mitsubishi Tensei ck pro orange 70tx 

Mizuno ST190 3w Aldila 6S

Titleist 718 cb 3i Project X LZ 6.0

Mizuno Mizuno Pro 118 5i-PW NIPPON Modus 3 120 TX

Titleist Vokey SM5 50* DG S200

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 54/58 DG 115

Callaway PM Grind 64* KBS Hi-Rev 115

Sik Pro C 35.5"

Bridgestone Tour B X

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2021 at 6:52 AM, Phireside said:

Get your eyes over the ball. I think too many are well inside the ball.

THIS!!!

I was always a pretty good putter and roll the ball well with good tempo and consistency.

I'm a spot putter and I was missing a lot of 3-6 foot putts, especially with R to L break.

I got fitted and found I needed a shorter putter. I went from 34" to 33" and am making more from 6ft and in.

Getting my eyes over the ball instead of inside the ball really helped me get my putts started on my line.

Get a putting mirror and check you eye, shoulder and putter face alignment and work on those.

Edited by RainShadow

Ping G400 10.5 (9.5*)Oban Devotion 6/04
Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R  
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 54/14
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 58/12

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0 crescent neck @ 33”

TM Tour Response/ ProV1/ Chrome Soft TT

Eye Line

So you think you are looking straight eg straight at the hole,but the ball doesnt go too the hole....is the tendency left or right...so,assuming square shoulders....open your stance,or close your stance...to really make your aim straight.ps in fen was gifted an old copper Anser,coked it, pulled head, its 289 grams...but it putts just as good as another i have....really straight on 12 yard putts..so try old tech if your Stability and Custom Shop Scotty and Super Stroke are off!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

8 hours ago, PingPoncho said:

1. Using large mallet?

2. Using very heavy putter weight?

3. Using larger grip?

4. Calming your nerves somehow ?

Details would help.

thanks

1.NO

2.NO

3.NO

4.NO

i've used every variation of putters and grips and techniques but the only thing that helps me is time on the practice putting green. and i hate practice putting with a passion, the most boring part of the game. but when i put in time i get results.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Phireside said:

Get your eyes over the ball. I think too many are well inside the ball.

I found a very interesting video that says not to get your eyes over the ball.  Not sure...

Edited by crazygolfnut
  • Like 2

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5 
Hybrids ___ Ping  G410 4H & Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist 718 AP1 6-W
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM8 52.08F & 56.08S
Putter _____ Bettinardi BB45
Ball _______ Titleist ProV1 - Yellow / Snell MTB-X - Yellow
Bag _______ Datrek Lite Rider
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell NEO Ghost,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

@crazygolfnut I'm not going to watch the whole video but from the first few minutes it seems like malarkey. I'd like to know which tour players have their eyes 9 inches inside the line of the ball.

If your eyes are over the ball or very close to it, and it looks like your line is left, then your shoulders are pointed left. Simple as that.

I think a simple test is if you use the line to line up  your ball when you are standing behind it and get that line pointed to your target, but then when you get over the ball the line looks like it's pointing in the wrong direction, your eyes are likely not over the ball. 

Posted (edited)

Find a putter you can align visually.  Doesn’t matter what kind so long as it makes sense to you and when you look at it the face is perpendicular to your intended start line.

Work on you stance in a mirror.  Common faults are right (trail) forearm well above left and significant spine tilt to the right.  The former can lead to pulled putts (or compensation) and the latter to inconsistent stroke.

Don’t care where your eyes are relative to the ball.  If, after finding a comfortable and mostly neutral set-up, your eyes are over the ball - great.  If they’re inside the line - great.  If you are right handed and right eye dominant, you’ll most likely be a little behind and a little inside.  It makes absolutely no sense either anatomically or optically that they must be over the ball.  Building a stroke around that red herring is a fools errand.

Edited by Aviador Naval
  • Like 2

917D2 9.5 w/S+

TS2 16.5 and 21 w/AD-DI

ZX-U 3i w/NS 950GH -or- 818 H1 23 deg w/AD-DI

ZX5 5i - 6i and ZX7 7i - PW w/Modus 105

SM7 50-12, SM7 54S, and SM6 58-12K @ 59

Ping MnBn MyDay

I am a decent putter, but struggled with shorter putts. Felt like I was always fighting the putter, no matter what I tried. Thought it was my stroke. Practice, especially the 2 tee drill helped a lot, but I was still inconsistent. After talking with my pro, he grabbed 6 different putters from the shop and took me to the putting green. Tried them all and found a clear winner for me, Spider X single bend. Literally took 10 minutes, and we could tell right away. Short putts became automatic, felt great, really eye opening for me. He said my stroke was by far the best with that putter, and I could totally feel that. I always hated the way single bend looked so I never even tried them. What a mistake. Took a little getting used to the look, but I love it now because I make so many more putts without the stress. Bottom line for me, keep an open mind and find what works. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Phireside said:

@crazygolfnut I'm not going to watch the whole video but from the first few minutes it seems like malarkey. I'd like to know which tour players have their eyes 9 inches inside the line of the ball.

If your eyes are over the ball or very close to it, and it looks like your line is left, then your shoulders are pointed left. Simple as that.

I think a simple test is if you use the line to line up  your ball when you are standing behind it and get that line pointed to your target, but then when you get over the ball the line looks like it's pointing in the wrong direction, your eyes are likely not over the ball. 

What I got from the video is that you should find a spot just in front of the ball and putt over that spot. If you set up and then look at all the way to the hole, the hole may look more left or right of where you should putt.  So I guess you would miss the putt.  Not sure if the theory is correct or not. 

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5 
Hybrids ___ Ping  G410 4H & Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist 718 AP1 6-W
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM8 52.08F & 56.08S
Putter _____ Bettinardi BB45
Ball _______ Titleist ProV1 - Yellow / Snell MTB-X - Yellow
Bag _______ Datrek Lite Rider
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell NEO Ghost,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, robs291 said:

I am a decent putter, but struggled with shorter putts. Felt like I was always fighting the putter, no matter what I tried. Thought it was my stroke. Practice, especially the 2 tee drill helped a lot, but I was still inconsistent. After talking with my pro, he grabbed 6 different putters from the shop and took me to the putting green. Tried them all and found a clear winner for me, Spider X single bend. Literally took 10 minutes, and we could tell right away. Short putts became automatic, felt great, really eye opening for me. He said my stroke was by far the best with that putter, and I could totally feel that. I always hated the way single bend looked so I never even tried them. What a mistake. Took a little getting used to the look, but I love it now because I make so many more putts without the stress. Bottom line for me, keep an open mind and find what works. 

I'm the same, but with the Spider X slant.  I've had putters that were easier to hit lag puts or delicate little downhillers with, but that can all be learned with practice.  I've never had a putter that I was able to make short putts with at the rate that I currently am before, regardless of the amount of practice that I put it.  

I will say, practice DOES make a big difference to me, but so does using the Spider which feels so easy.  Twice since acquiring the Spider X, when my putting began to slide, I would start getting antsy to switch putters.  Both times I took the Spider to the green to have a shootout with whatever I felt would cure my woes.  Both times the Spider won easily and I realized that it was just me that was struggling.  A few hours on the practice green per week for a week or two and I was back to putting confidently.  

Edited by kintap

Callaway Epic Max 9* w/ Mitsubishi MMT 60S

Titleist 917 F2 16.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 70S

Ping G410 Hybrid 22* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Srixon z585 4I w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Srixon z785 5-P w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 50*, 54*, 58* w/ DG Tour Issue S400

Taylormade Spider X Slant Neck

Titleist Pro V1x

Posted (edited)

I agree with @Obee where he posted in several other threads about having open shoulders and forearms.  My shoulders were way open and made my putter "whip" through impact, causing very inconsistent lines that I'd start the ball on.  When I squared up my shoulders, I could do the shoulder rocking stroke that I was actually pretty skeptical of for a long time, but it actually works now because of better shoulder alignment.  You can see his post here:

Even Tiger had problems with open shoulders as explained by Scotty Cameron in his My Shot article: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/myshot_gd0601  

Edited by huskydawg
links

Lamkin Crossline - my favorite golf product ever

12 hours ago, MattM97 said:

5. Aim

I had been struggling for a few weeks but seem to have gotten things back on track. I started using a line on my ball, but only on the shorter ones, 3-5 ft, and my make percentage has gone way up. 

I was also being too tentative. We have fast, sloping greens and you get into the defensive mindset pretty quickly. I’ve retrained myself to be more aggressive on these ones. 

• Like 1

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

TSi3 13.5* / Ventus Black 8x

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

U500 20* / MMT UT 125tx

T100•s 5-P / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 50, 54, 58 / Dynamic TI X100

Squareback 2 / Stability - Cuvio / TPZ ONE35

WITB Thread

16 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

I had been struggling for a few weeks but seem to have gotten things back on track. I started using a line on my ball, but only on the shorter ones, 3-5 ft, and my make percentage has gone way up. 

I was also being too tentative. We have fast, sloping greens and you get into the defensive mindset pretty quickly. I’ve retrained myself to be more aggressive on these ones. 

I've found being more aggressive helped my putting, especially when indecisive. I'll just putt through the brake half the time on those really short slider putts. 

Now this can obviously blow up in my face when the ball blows past 6ft+ the hole.

• Haha 1

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

WITB Thread

The biggest thing that helped me make short putts and all length putts for that matter was not having tension and having a positive attitude/confidence. I noticed that if I missed a putt, holed out and then practiced the putt again that I made a high percentage of the second putts. The second practice putt always seemed so relaxed that I tried to copy it and putts started dropping. The mental aspect of putting should not be overlooked. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood

Titleist 910H 19*
Ping i-e1 5-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

13 hours ago, Beenerpro said:

I first learned where I was aimed and how to aim correctly, which took a putter change to a model that was easier for me to square to the line (Ping My Day with small Ping grip). Second, I practiced rolling the ball on line without manipulating the club/face angle. Lots of 3 & 6 foot putts. I chose to correct my mechanics using the proper tool and not keep looking for the quick fix band aid.

I believe that many players miss short putts because of improper aim. I found that my improper aim was caused by my skewed perception of where many putters are aimed. When the putter is not aimed correctly, then the putter face must be manipulated to get the ball rolling on line. Very difficult to do consistently. Especially when the manipulation must be completed at different rates depending on the length of the stroke and putt.

I have come to realize I have a big problem with aim as multiple playing partners would tell me I consistently aim right of the target. I pull putts to compensate. It’s no way to play. At least I know now.
The other issue is that I’ll take the putter back to the outside and cut across it which results in a pull. My aim affects my mechanics in such a bad way. 
One of the solutions (besides all the ways I can work on my aim) is to remember to strike the ball instead of making a stroke where I try to guide it to the hole. That along with keeping my head still and listening for the ball to go in seems to help my mechanics.

But I really need to fix my aim.