Posted (edited)

This is absolutely bull crap!  Yes I got a refund but I need to vent. How is it that you agree to a price after discussing shipping method and also giving the seller your zip for a quote only for them to decide that it cost too much to ship. Apparently PayPal much serious over charge for ups ground. Seller claims to have used PayPal to print a ups label and got a $39 price to ship a putter from Wisconsin to Iowa. I input it straight to ups with 48x6x6 dimensions and 3 pound weight and get $19. I admittedly didn’t have his zip as he never did give it to me when I asked.  Something seems fishy to me. When I tried to explain what I got on ups site his response was I chose ups ground sorry. Had he seemed willing to talk I may have through a few more bucks his way. Karma is a [email protected]&$ dude!

Edit:

Turns out I don’t have my refund. However he did it with PayPal says I have to wait 3 days for it. NOT COOL!

Edit #2:

Now currently says Saturday for refund. 

Edit #3:

Refund has finally be processed. 

Edited by blackngold_blood
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If someone needs to “proceed with caution” on my items because I too quickly provided a FULL refund to someone when shipping charges were calculated out of line..........then so be it.  I didn

Just spoke with Paypal. Will try to explain their long miserable policy in a few sentences:   My account started with a zero balance.  Then I was paid for the putter.  Then I did a FULL

Greasy move on the seller. Honor in the game of golf is sadly diminishing. 

There is no way it was remotely close to $39 to ship a putter if he truly tried to ship the putter via UPS from the PayPal transaction. I've shipped putters halfway across the country doing that and it's been less than $15 every time. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM 9
Cobra F9 3-4W

Srixon ZX 3 and 4 hybrids
Srixon ZX7 5-PW
Cleveland RTX4 50, 56, 62
Scotty Cameron Select Golo w/ Stability Shaft
Titleist ProV1 | Vice Pro
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder

MNML Golf Bag

1 minute ago, bhj83 said:

There is no way it was remotely close to $39 to ship a putter if he truly tried to ship the putter via UPS from the PayPal transaction. I've shipped putters halfway across the country doing that and it's been less than $15 every time. 

Exactly. I have shipped iron sets to both coasts and never came up with that price. 

Posted (edited)

Oh an I’ll add this to the op but I didn’t actually get my refund. Apparently whatever he did with PayPal it says I have to wait 3 days for it. Every refund I have sent or received has all been immediate. What the crap is going on?  I sent him a message to rectify so hopefully he does. 

Edited by blackngold_blood

The cost I was given directly through paypal shipping for UPS ground was very high.  Not going to spend that much for UPS when USPS is 1/3 of the cost.

Paypal is not an awesome service in general.  I do not know how their policies on refunds work.

My putter was not made by Scotty himself.  Not a "sky is falling" ordeal which it seems to have turned out to be.

Apologies........

1 minute ago, Puma74 said:

The cost I was given directly through paypal shipping for UPS ground was very high.  Not going to spend that much for UPS when USPS is 1/3 of the cost.

Paypal is not an awesome service in general.  I do not know how their policies on refunds work.

My putter was not made by Scotty himself.  Not a "sky is falling" ordeal which it seems to have turned out to be.

Apologies........

I never said it was a sky is falling ordeal. I merely ranted due to us agreeing on a price and me paying immediately. However you input the shipping was obviously wrong as I have never had shipping costs that high. You decided to refund without messaging me first. Had you done that, I may have thrown a few bucks to make it work out. You didn’t so fine. But now I don’t even have my money for the refund. If the money is in your PayPal account then it should be immediately returned to me. If you withdrew it it should still come back to me immediately. I should not have to wait for a refund when YOU wanted it. I didn’t request it but however you did it PayPal says I requested it. As i ask is fix it so I can find another and move on. 

I did not withdraw the money to my account yet so I totally agree with you it should be instant.

I just tried calling paypal and I cannot get a person.  Says they are closed.

I will be calling them in the morning.  This may just be their policy on refunds.  I waited 3 days for a refund from someone in February. 

27 minutes ago, Puma74 said:

agreed.  I said I was calling them in the morning. 

I've got to say...this is a case where if I underestimated cost on something agreed to I'd honor it and ship the item. I treat BST like a business and I always try to do what any good business would do. A good business wouldn't say "hey we agreed to this but I didn't know it would cost this much to ship so I'm not following through with our agreement." That's just me...and unfortunately people may be less likely to want to do business with you on here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade SIM 9
Cobra F9 3-4W

Srixon ZX7 5-PW

MNML Golf Bag

Also, curious how you get $39 quote to ship a putter? Are you shipping in a giant box? That's the only reason I can think of where they'd charge that much. I've shipped numerous clubs recently and shipping thru UPS thru PayPal has always been right at or just below the USPS price if you add insurance on USPS. 

TaylorMade SIM 9
Cobra F9 3-4W

Srixon ZX7 5-PW

MNML Golf Bag

14 minutes ago, zip7111 said:

Refunds are only instant if the funds are already in your pay pal account.  If you are pulling funds from a bank account or credit card it takes a few days for the refund to go back into your account.  This is the way it has always been.  Just relax!

I have never come across this situation before in my many years of buying and selling online.  Whether the funds were still in my PayPal account or not the refund was instant. That said I called them and now know why it is gonna take awhile to get my refund. Even though the seller said he didn’t withdraw the money yet he issued an e-check for the refund so I now wait for his bank to release the money.  

Posted (edited)

Just spoke with Paypal.

Will try to explain their long miserable policy in a few sentences:

My account started with a zero balance.  Then I was paid for the putter.  Then I did a FULL refund on the payment.  To all of us, this should be net zero.

(not prior known) The seller gets to eat the paypal fees on a FULL refund of goods and services payment.

My balance is then $15 short of giving the buyer the full refund so money has to be drawn from my bank account to make up the difference of the $15.  This bank transfer is what takes a couple days.

In the end, the buyer will get a 100% refund.  Period.

I will pay $15 for the fees anyway. 

Yes, I do wish I had done this differently.  I was also under the assumption that the buyer would get an instant refund.  I simply did not want to spend the increased UPS fees (buyer requested) over USPS.  I did not get a quote from UPS initially but assumed (incorrectly) it would be about the same.

At this point, I cannot change any of this.  I cannot make this better for the buyer.  I cannot un-do the refund at this point.  All I can do is say I will learn from these mistakes, apologize and say I was wrong.

For all the shipping cost experts on this thread, yes, the cost on paypal for UPS was much higher.  I saw the price myself.

Edited by Puma74
  • Like 4
Posted (edited)

I too have been using Paypal for over 15 years and never have heard of charging the seller fees on a refunded payment.  Paypal told me this policy started 2 years ago.

I was un aware as I am sure most others would be as well.

I did not withdraw the money from my account.

I did not issue an e-check.  This happens within paypal.  They are calling the $15 transfer from my bank to my paypal balance the "e-check".

On my end, all I did was hit the refund button and hit submit full refund.  

There was nothing deliberate here on my end.  This should have been easy and instant and turned out to be nothing of the sort.

Edited by Puma74
7 minutes ago, wobgon said:

Just so i have this straight....You sold an item on bst and then decided to not follow through and just hit the refund button without any communication with the buyer?

I got an email about the refund from PayPal at almost the same time as the message from seller about the ups ground $39 shipping fee. 

34 minutes ago, DannyNoonin said:

There's another thread here on the new paypal refund fee process. Sucks you ended up paying more in fees than the "extra" it would have cost to just ship the guy the putter. Look around this section for ways to reduce box size etc to make sure that you're not paying too much because of a big box. 

I got burned by UPS a few months back on a FW wood.  I shipped it and while it was more expensive than USPS it was only a couple dollars more.  Few weeks after delivery I got a bill in the mail for an additional $15-$20 dollars because UPS audited the shipment and something i entered online was different, weight or dimensions, I forget-but it was a similar size box to what ive always used with USPS and like most of us shipping in boxes other clubs come in.  My bad, ate the cost, only shipped UPS because of the USPS issues.  All that is to say, i can see the shipping snafu happening.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Bigjim1022 said:

I got burned by UPS a few months back on a FW wood.  I shipped it and while it was more expensive than USPS it was only a couple dollars more.  Few weeks after delivery I got a bill in the mail for an additional $15-$20 dollars because UPS audited the shipment and something i entered online was different, weight or dimensions, I forget-but it was a similar size box to what ive always used with USPS and like most of us shipping in boxes other clubs come in.  My bad, ate the cost, only shipped UPS because of the USPS issues.  All that is to say, i can see the shipping snafu happening.  

That sucks. That's also been mentioned other threads. Take pictures of the box with the label on it with the tape measure up to it so you can defend yourself if that happens is the only thing I can think of. The box is long gone so how do you defend yourself against the carriers if they do this? Seems like a scam to me. 

Situation seems different to me though because this is all pre shipment. 

5 minutes ago, DannyNoonin said:

That sucks. That's also been mentioned other threads. Take pictures of the box with the label on it with the tape measure up to it so you can defend yourself if that happens is the only thing I can think of. The box is long gone so how do you defend yourself against the carriers if they do this? Seems like a scam to me. 

Situation seems different to me though because this is all pre shipment. 

Yeah that would suck. This bout is pre shipment. As I mentioned in the op, I went to ups mobile site and got a quote. A random zip from Wisconsin(never had the sellers) to me in North centra Iowa. 48x6x6 box weighing 3 pounds. Should be plenty big to ship the putter. I got $19 which seems about right. 

At this point I’ll just wait for my refund and move on. I’ll just say this though. Had the seller allowed me to respond before issuing a refund right after messaging me here, this would all be cleared up. He’d have his money and the putter would be on its way to me. I may have thrown him a few bucks to help cover the difference or even ask for the $15 usps charge back and emailed him my own label. And yea I asked for ups instead of usps because he wanted a signature. Not a huge deal but I live in a rural community and my PO is only open a few hours a day and my wife is stuck at home unable to drive at the moment.

2 hours ago, Puma74 said:

Communicated I was going to issue the refund right before I did so he knew what was happening, yes. 

I don’t think this involves you though. 

It actually involves anyone in the BST. These threads are created so the community is aware of seller actions and can proceed with caution when aware of a seller’s history. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

If someone needs to “proceed with caution” on my items because I too quickly provided a FULL refund to someone when shipping charges were calculated out of line..........then so be it. 

I didn’t rip off this guy’s money or mis represent an item for sale.......

There are actual scammers out there on all types of forums and I can safely say with full conscience that I am not one of them. Never have been and never will be. 

There are worse things in life going on around the world than a poor decision on my part and a cancelled putter transaction. 

Edited by Puma74
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1