Are my iron shafts too light for me?

Good morning. Got a question for the board. 

I'm currently using Vega VC-03 irons and Fourteen TC888 irons. Both are shafted with Modus 3 105r shafts.  Lately I find myself topping these, or getting a little "wristy". I figured it was because I suck. This past weekend I went on a golf trip and used my brother in laws Honma TW737 irons with DGS300 shafts. Definitely not a stiff shaft play, but man, I was hitting most shots flush. I get back home and tried my irons again. Same tops, getting quick, trying to correct my wrists... I pulled out an old Callaway x forged set I had with DGS300 shafts and again I was flushing more shots.  The Honma and Callaways are a less forgiving head than my Vegas, but were hitting them better. Smoother. Do you think it's the weight of the DG (around 125-130g_ vs the Modus (105g)?

Posted (edited)

It's possible and there is an easy way to test to find out if it's the shaft weight or swing weight (as opposed to the significantly softer shaft stiffness of the modus).

Get some lead tape (high density would be easier) and go to the range.   Take one of the mid irons (7i or 8i is my preference but it doesn't really matter which one).   Do these two different tests.

1) add 10-15 gm of lead tape to the shaft.  Wrap it around about 4-5" below the bottom of the grip.  Test.   Add another 10 gm to the same place  and repeat the test.   Look for signs of improvement in the impact quality and ball flight.   Find the amount of added weight that gives the best results.

2) remove the lead tape from the shaft and instead add it to the head in 2 gm increments, testing between the increments.   Again monitor how the impact and ball flight changes.   Sometimes even if the problem is the light shaft weight, increasing head weight can be a possible solution.

3) If the results after the first test were better than after the second,  then go back to the best amount of weight added to the shaft and then start the second test for head weight again with the simulated heavier shaft weight.

If the best results you get after doing all that still doesn't match what you were getting with the DG's then the softer stiffness of the modus is also a contributing factor to the quality of impact.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 4

I will definitely do the topping and flipping thing with really light irons. Anything with 60-70g graphite shafts is right out and in the past I've really struggled with the ultralight 85-95g steel options in irons. But heavier shafts that help my tempo and control (like 120g and up) tend to make me sort of drag the club through the ball which isn't ideal for ball flight or distance. 

So it's a balancing act. I've been playing some irons for a couple months now with shaft weights somewhere in the mid-90's and not having any issues with the topping or flipping thing. Seem to be a sweet spot, they feel easy to swing but don't let me tempo run away from me. I am a little inconsistent in my contact with the PW and (set) GW and think I'm getting just a bit handsy. So I'm probably pushing the limit of lightness for shorter irons. But I hit the 7, 8, 9 so well and usually hit really good shots with the PW and GW except those few flippy ones. I'm going to just press on and try to remind myself to take my time and swing smoothly with the shorter clubs. 

From August 18, 2021 I will be away from GolfWRX for a while.

I just went through this. I went to lighter shafts b/c I thought that I would have "more gas in the tank" toward the end of the round and wouldnt feel so beat up. That was 2 years ago. I finally went to modus 125s from 105s. Ball flight was pretty much the same, but I could really feel where the club was and felt like I was smoother. I always felt that with the 105s I really had to concentrate on tempo. 

I got lucky throwing the 125s right in there but I would do what stuart g said. 

8 hours ago, buckrogers71 said:

I just went through this. I went to lighter shafts b/c I thought that I would have "more gas in the tank" toward the end of the round and wouldnt feel so beat up. That was 2 years ago. I finally went to modus 125s from 105s. Ball flight was pretty much the same, but I could really feel where the club was and felt like I was smoother. I always felt that with the 105s I really had to concentrate on tempo. 

I got lucky throwing the 125s right in there but I would do what stuart g said. 

Interesting as I’m considering just this change. I’m worried the 125s will be too stiff or too heavy. I love the feel of the 105 but have really lost my tempo lately. 

Did you feel like the flex and feel was similar from 105 to 125? I was considering soft stepping or going down a flex. Appreciate any thoughts you have! Thanks

12 hours ago, userpick21 said:

Interesting as I’m considering just this change. I’m worried the 125s will be too stiff or too heavy. I love the feel of the 105 but have really lost my tempo lately. 

Did you feel like the flex and feel was similar from 105 to 125? I was considering soft stepping or going down a flex. Appreciate any thoughts you have! Thanks

I have a few range sessions and 2 rounds under my belt with them. 7-GW are awesome. I am struggling with my long irons but that is the indian and not the arrow. I can really feel where the club is at and it has improved my tempo. At times I feel that they are really heavy but again, right now I am a mental midget. I dont think that I have lost anything going from 105 stiff to the 125 stiff. 

I do have KBS 120s in the bullpen that will be soft stepped b/c I dont feel like wasting $$ on a gap wedge shaft. LOL

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.

Another question. There are a lot of choices in the 115 to 120 range. Do you think getting a 115 gram shaft is too similar to my Modus 105 (103g) and should getting something more in the 120 to 125 (similar to the DGS300 I was hitting well), or do you think there is enough of a difference going up 12 or so grams?

5 minutes ago, Boiler0007 said:

Another question. There are a lot of choices in the 115 to 120 range. Do you think getting a 115 gram shaft is too similar to my Modus 105 (103g) and should getting something more in the 120 to 125 (similar to the DGS300 I was hitting well), or do you think there is enough of a difference going up 12 or so grams?

For being a hacker, I'm still pretty sensitive to club weight. I think even a difference between a 105g and 115g shaft might be noticeable for me. I certainly know that 100-105g versus 90-95g is quite noticeable. 

For my part, comparing shafts around 100-105g to the DGS300 heavy ones feels like a really major difference. 

From August 18, 2021 I will be away from GolfWRX for a while.

29 minutes ago, Boiler0007 said:

That's exactly what the test with the lead tape will tell you.   No one else will be able to answer that question for you since everyone is very different in how sensitive they are to shaft weight changes.

• Like 1