2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Best tour level graphite iron shafts

speeder717

On 5/17/2021 at 12:49 PM, Stuart_G said:

If the low launch, stiffer profile of the i-series steelfibers are a good fit for you, I doubt you'll find anything better.   Most of the PGA tour pros who were playing the steelfibers went back to steel shafts.   The one pga tour player I'm aware of that is playing the MMT's is Abraham Ancer - so I'd hardly call that any kind of trend (not that I'd ever advise an am to play anything just because a tour player is using it).   It's a more of a low-mid to mid launch profile so isn't really an apples to apples comparison with the steelfibers anyway.  More comparable to the Recoils.  Of course the fact that it's twice the price means that all the talk about them is in a pretty limited circle of players willing to spend that much.

Other players are using MMT's on tour, namely Rickie Fowler.  Graphite shafts will slowly take over the tour like Mallets have.  Too many benefits not to, especially with how much they practice and how important preservation of the body is nowadays.  

• Like 4

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

1 hour ago, J13 said:

Other players are using MMT's on tour, namely Rickie Fowler.  Graphite shafts will slowly take over the tour like Mallets have.  Too many benefits not to, especially with how much they practice and how important preservation of the body is nowadays.  

Only time will tell.  It may happen eventually but I wouldn't hold your breath.  People said the same thing when the Steelfibers and Recoils were first released and it hasn't changed much since then.  The same thing that reduces the shock of impact also reduces the feedback the players get about the quality of the impact.  Many high level players don't like that reduction.

Edited by Stuart_G

3 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

Only time will tell.  It may happen eventually but I wouldn't hold your breath.  People said the same thing when the Steelfibers and Recoils were first released and it hasn't changed much since then.  The same thing that reduces the shock of impact also reduces the feedback the players get about the quality of the impact.  Many high level players don't like that reduction.

Yes but they also never though tour guys would play big mallets or something other than a wound ball that spins a ton.  It takes time but once a few players reap the benefits it catches fire.  I've been around tons of tour players and hung out with them.  They are just as much copycats with equipment as we are. 

It will become more popular as younger players grow up playing graphite in irons.  Its definitely hard for tour players to switch something like that up but it will happen.  You can do so much more with graphite than steel so as shafts become more and more customizable to the player the tour guys will have the ability to dial it in that much more.  

Edel PROTO

5 hours ago, J13 said:

People seem to take as a given that graphite has advantages beyond a better stiffness/weight ratio.  While it's true graphite can transmit less vibration, there is no objective evidence that is in any way better for joints.  The amount of actual energy transmitted to the hands when hitting the ground/ball is essentially identical between graphite and steel.  The high frequency energy graphite tends to attenuate (compared to flex matched steel, and that's important, flex has a big effect on transmitted energy), is easy to identify, but the actual magnitude is miniscule.  Graphite allows complex flex and weight profiling, but most pros like the profiles and weights what are available in steel.  'Tour' graphite shafts, like the MMT 125TX you have in your sig, can mimic the weight and flex profile pros like, but all it really offers is a different feel, which for many pros is the exact opposite of what they want.

Graphite is amazing for being able to replicate the profile/flex of steel shafts people are used to, at a much lower weight.  That's graphite's real advantage, but only some people consider that an advantage.

As you said in your second post, it may well be that as younger players grow up playing graphite it will eventually take over, especially if they grow up playing lighter weight shafts.  Lighter weight is an objective advantage in the golf swing, for everyone, including tour level players.  But most are not used to it, and as a result do worse with lighter weight clubs.

EDIT:  An example is doing push up leaning against a running washing machine.  If you put a yoga mat or something between your hands and the washing machine, you won't feel the vibrations as much, but the main issues for your hands/wrists/elbows are the forces involved in the push up, that doesn't change at all.

2nd EDIT:  An example of what can be done is the KBS TGI shaft.  KBS was able to produce a shaft that is essentially identical (overall flex and flex profile) to steel shaft they make, with the graphite shaft being 20-25g lighter.

Edited by BackNineCollapse
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, BackNineCollapse said:

People seem to take as a given that graphite has advantages beyond a better stiffness/weight ratio.  While it's true graphite can transmit less vibration, there is no objective evidence that is in any way better for joints.  The amount of actual energy transmitted to the hands when hitting the ground/ball is essentially identical between graphite and steel.  The high frequency energy graphite tends to attenuate (compared to flex matched steel, and that's important, flex has a big effect on transmitted energy), is easy to identify, but the actual magnitude is miniscule.  Graphite allows complex flex and weight profiling, but most pros like the profiles and weights what are available in steel.  'Tour' graphite shafts, like the MMT 125TX you have in your sig, can mimic the weight and flex profile pros like, but all it really offers is a different feel, which for many pros is the exact opposite of what they want.

Graphite is amazing for being able to replicate the profile/flex of steel shafts people are used to, at a much lower weight.  That's graphite's real advantage, but only some people consider that an advantage.

As you said in your second post, it may well be that as younger players grow up playing graphite it will eventually take over, especially if they grow up playing lighter weight shafts.  Lighter weight is an objective advantage in the golf swing, for everyone, including tour level players.  But most are not used to it, and as a result do worse with lighter weight clubs.

EDIT:  An example is doing push up leaning against a running washing machine.  If you put a yoga mat or something between your hands and the washing machine, you won't feel the vibrations as much, but the main issues for your hands/wrists/elbows are the forces involved in the push up, that doesn't change at all.

There might not be a white paper on it but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence from players on the benefits of graphite and joints.  I've experienced it first hand with my left wrist.  Within 2 months of switching to graphite the pain went away completely and hasn't returned.  This was after almost 2 years of a nagging pain from hitting balls. 

The best part about Graphite is the ability to manipulate parts of the shaft independently.  Steel doesn't allow for that and as a result gives manufacturers freedom to explore profiles not possible with steel.  Steel will be around for a while but rest assured Innovation and R&D is going to graphite shafts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Edel PROTO

12 hours ago, J13 said:

Yes but they also never though tour guys would play big mallets or something other than a wound ball that spins a ton.  It takes time but once a few players reap the benefits it catches fire.  I've been around tons of tour players and hung out with them.  They are just as much copycats with equipment as we are. 

Who's this "they" you are referring to?  I can't speak for anyone else but I never thought any of that.   But regardless, just looking at the physics shows clear benefits in those other things.  The actual benefit of graphite shafts over steel for the professions isn't so cut and dried.   The variations in stiffness profiles and how that effects the results is purely a subjective influence - and that's true regardless of the shaft material.   The main benefit of graphite to allow more options for various stiffness profiles only really shows up in the lighter weight shafts, not the heavy ones most of the tour players use.   IF light weight shafts in irons ever become the rage on tour, then you'll likely see much more graphite use.  But with the increased athleticism on tour, that would be a surprising evolution.  Especially since the weight can play a big role in a player maintaining a consistent rhythm and temp and for some can help even out the natural inconsistencies (even small ones) in the swing.

It will become more popular as younger players grow up playing graphite in irons. 

That's certainly possible as it can be looked at as kind of an acquired taste.

12 hours ago, BackNineCollapse said:

People seem to take as a given that graphite has advantages beyond a better stiffness/weight ratio.  While it's true graphite can transmit less vibration, there is no objective evidence that is in any way better for joints. 

It would be better to revise that to say that there is no evidence to support that they are better for healthy joints and tendons.   There is tons of anecdotal (but still objective) evidence to support that they provide a clear benefit for people with certain underlying medical conditions.

How much of an effect the higher frequency energy has on the body in a long term sense is definitely an unknown.    I suspect it likely does have a long term effect on individuals that are predisposed to various inflammatory conditions but agree there is not a lot to support it has a positive long term effect for everyone who plays the game.

The amount of actual energy transmitted to the hands when hitting the ground/ball is essentially identical between graphite and steel.  The high frequency energy graphite tends to attenuate (compared to flex matched steel, and that's important, flex has a big effect on transmitted energy), is easy to identify, but the actual magnitude is miniscule. 

You mean the initial impulse forces on the joints is the same.  That's not the same as saying the same amount of energy is being transmitted.    You said it yourself,  a lot of the higher frequency energy is attenuated and therefore lost and not transmitted to the body.

Flex or really the stiffness profile certainly does have some impact on the shape of the impulse forces but I'm not sure I'd go as far to say it's a "big" effect.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 2

@Stuart_G They meaning Tour players.   As for whether or not players switch, time will tell. 

Edited by J13

Edel PROTO

1 hour ago, J13 said:

@Stuart_G They meaning Tour players.   As for whether or not players switch, time will tell. 

Graphite iron usage will explode- due to this fellow alone. The next graphite iron user is currently some 7 yr old with a father who sees the next Bryson..........

71206-exclusive-bryson-dechambeau-says-hes-pushing-the-limits-heading-into-the-masters.jpg

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

20 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

Graphite iron usage will explode- due to this fellow alone. The next graphite iron user is currently some 7 yr old with a father who sees the next Bryson..........

Any 7 year old should already be playing graphite regardless of what their father wants them to become.   It's what happens when they go through the rebellious teenage years that will be more likely to shape their future.   By then someone else will  have come along and be even longer than Bryson and grab their attention (assuming Bryson's body even lasts that long).   Fans are way too fickle to predict what they'll do more than a few years down the road.

Edited by Stuart_G

I have never bought into the "launch characteristics" side of shaft design simply because I really don't see much difference in them. I have a tendency to try just about anything and have a fairly large assortment of drivers with shafts that are high, mid and low launch. I see virtually no launch difference at all when comparing them. For that reason alone, I typically ignore that spec when looking at shafts. I find weight, torque and flex (in that order) to be FAR more important.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

How the club head impacts the ball and then transmits vibration through the shaft to the grip then hands is #1 for tour players and better amateurs.  It may be an anecdotal experience to some minds, but it has more substantive value than white papers and Iron Byron.  As far as my experience is concerned, lite weight (exp; 65-95g) graphite shafts do NOT talk to the user remotely the same as heavier weight graphite shafts, and I've tested plenty.

But, it's true, lighter weight graphite shafts, today, are being manipulated in ways that steel is not, Mitsubishi Tensei White AV and MMT and Fuji's MCI are examples.  Looking past those with injury, many of us moving to graphite are not looking for a numb feeling at impact. 

Also, just as important to this topic is "attention to detail" seems to fall on deaf ears these days.  More people want forgiveness in their clubs but fail to consider its cost.  The better a person gets at striking the ball, the more likely they are interested in feeling impact vibration to the grip and their hands.  Yesterday, if you listened closely to Phil and his caddy brother talk about shots and wind influence, it was all about Phil's swing and how he impacted the ball to create a shot.  Yes, he uses KBS steel, but there were others in the field that didn't have boom mics on them, like Fowler playing MMT.  Some of them use MMT 125TX in combination with other flexes, and not everyone on tour uses X-Flex.

Though shaft weight plays a role in control, feeling vibration impact through the grip in my hands is important.  It tells me and most others that care, the quality of strike, impact angle, and direction the ball is going without looking up.  Yesterday, on a slightly elevated 208 yd Par 3 tee, into an afternoon breeze covered in haze, I used 21' 3 iron, high-bend 92g, TV-Align firm grip, and smacked it as pure as I can.  Though none of us could see our balls finish, I knew mine was on the green, if not long on the pin, just because of how it felt at impact.  Turned out it was pin high in the middle, 10' away.  But I putted like Koepka, yuck.

Anyway, last thought if you combine graphite with a forgiving club head design (T-200/300 example), and a soft grip, there's little to no vibration, so users experiences next to zero at impact.  Given all the lightweight (65-95g) graphite shafts I've hit, only a few higher-end graphite shafts offer steel-like spin and distance control comparable and are comparable to heavier high-end graphite shafts.  Maybe the question is; how many graphite users really care about spin, distance or directional control, even in steel.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

Anyway, last thought if you combine graphite with a forgiving club head design (T-200/300 example), and a soft grip, there's little to no vibration, so users experiences next to zero at impact.  Given all the lightweight (65-95g) graphite shafts I've hit, only a few higher-end graphite shafts offer steel-like spin and distance control comparable and are comparable to heavier high-end graphite shafts.  Maybe the question is; how many graphite users really care about spin, distance or directional control, even in steel.

Agree with most of your post but disagree with this last bit.   Yes, graphite does significantly reduce the feedback one gets from impact but it doesn't get rid of it completely.   It is a lot more subtle than with steel but it's still there and most can adapter and relearn to interpret the reduced feedback from graphite.  Now it may take years for some and they may not want to take that amount of time but it is possible.  I've been playing graphite in my irons for over 20 years now and can tell you I get plenty of feedback on my impact.   In fact my latest swing work has produced an annoying toe side miss and I know immediately when I've missed the center of the club and in which directly.  I can't tell you how long it took me to relearn it because the pain relief was so significant that I really didn't care at the time so didn't really pay attention. 

And the quality of the graphite shaft doesn't play a part in it in my experience.  Doesn't matter if it's a $15 graphite shaft or a $50+ shaft.  The feedback is the same for me.   The weight of the shaft is certainly influential to the feel but then if you don't' get enough of a feel for where the club is or what it's doing, then you shouldn't blame the shafts, you should blame whoever fit you into the shafts that are too light for you.

Secondly the spin and distance control doesn't come from the shaft, it comes from the swing.  The feedback from the feel of impact through the shaft is certainly very helpful and convenient during the learning process but hardly a requirement to develop that control.  Some foot powder spray and watching the ball fight and maybe some swing vids (or just an instructor) is enough.  And if you're really serious about it, you can add an LM on top of that and most will have more feedback than they know what to do with.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

How the club head impacts the ball and then transmits vibration through the shaft to the grip then hands is #1 for tour players and better amateurs.  It may be an anecdotal experience to some minds, but it has more substantive value than white papers and Iron Byron.  As far as my experience is concerned, lite weight (exp; 65-95g) graphite shafts do NOT talk to the user remotely the same as heavier weight graphite shafts, and I've tested plenty.

But, it's true, lighter weight graphite shafts, today, are being manipulated in ways that steel is not, Mitsubishi Tensei White AV and MMT and Fuji's MCI are examples.  Looking past those with injury, many of us moving to graphite are not looking for a numb feeling at impact. 

Also, just as important to this topic is "attention to detail" seems to fall on deaf ears these days.  More people want forgiveness in their clubs but fail to consider its cost.  The better a person gets at striking the ball, the more likely they are interested in feeling impact vibration to the grip and their hands.  Yesterday, if you listened closely to Phil and his caddy brother talk about shots and wind influence, it was all about Phil's swing and how he impacted the ball to create a shot.  Yes, he uses KBS steel, but there were others in the field that didn't have boom mics on them, like Fowler playing MMT.  Some of them use MMT 125TX in combination with other flexes, and not everyone on tour uses X-Flex.

Though shaft weight plays a role in control, feeling vibration impact through the grip in my hands is important.  It tells me and most others that care, the quality of strike, impact angle, and direction the ball is going without looking up.  Yesterday, on a slightly elevated 208 yd Par 3 tee, into an afternoon breeze covered in haze, I used 21' 3 iron, high-bend 92g, TV-Align firm grip, and smacked it as pure as I can.  Though none of us could see our balls finish, I knew mine was on the green, if not long on the pin, just because of how it felt at impact.  Turned out it was pin high in the middle, 10' away.  But I putted like Koepka, yuck.

Funny enough but Phil was using a Mitsu MMT 105TX in his UT iron.

• Like 2

Edel PROTO

1 hour ago, Stuart_G said:

Agree with most of your post but disagree with this last bit.   Yes, graphite does significantly reduce the feedback one gets from impact but it doesn't get rid of it completely.   It is a lot more subtle than with steel but it's still there and most can adapter and relearn to interpret the reduced feedback from graphite.  Now it may take years for some and they may not want to take that amount of time but it is possible.  I've been playing graphite in my irons for over 20 years now and can tell you I get plenty of feedback on my impact.   In fact my latest swing work has produced an annoying toe side miss and I know immediately when I've missed the center of the club and in which directly.  I can't tell you how long it took me to relearn it because the pain relief was so significant that I really didn't care at the time so didn't really pay attention. 

And the quality of the graphite shaft doesn't play a part in it in my experience.  Doesn't matter if it's a $15 graphite shaft or a $50+ shaft.  The feedback is the same for me.   The weight of the shaft is certainly influential to the feel but then if you don't' get enough of a feel for where the club is or what it's doing, then you shouldn't blame the shafts, you should blame whoever fit you into the shafts that are too light for you.

Secondly the spin and distance control doesn't come from the shaft, it comes from the swing.  The feedback from the feel of impact through the shaft is certainly very helpful and convenient during the learning process but hardly a requirement to develop that control.  Some foot powder spray and watching the ball fight and maybe some swing vids (or just an instructor) is enough.  And if you're really serious about it, you can add an LM on top of that and most will have more feedback than they know what to do with.

I hear you, but we differ.  Lots of people cope with weak to zero feel in their touch receptors located throughout their hands.  My father hands had no feel, to speak of, partly because of his job in the auto industry.  The same is true with firefighters, construction works, and many other jobs that use their hands daily.  That is not anecdotal or personal observation either, its medical science at work, which a great many golfers conveniently overlook.  Nevertheless, it affects their ability when it comes to feel.  My buddy is a renowned surgeon, that wears two gloves when playing golf, as do 3 other surgeons I play with, each to protect those receptors as best they can, so they can feel subtle differences and manage different procedures during surgery.  The problem a lot of people are not aware that's the case with their hands, so their sense of delicate touch between this or that is relative, maybe even zilch.  Clinically, it's seen with taste as well as smell, too.   

Our perceptions are different regarding spin and distance control too.  I don't see it as simple as the "swing".  It could be my approach is more acute.  Yes, the swing is the engine, but it's only horsepower.  How I use that HP to apply softer or harder strike of the MB blade, AoA as well as face angle on the ball, adds or subtracts spin, affects distance, long or short of standard and ball direction.  If I use only half the MB dime sweet spot, towards the toe ball spin and trajectory give different results with steel as well as graphite.  Anyways, you have good day.    

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

11 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

I hear you, but we differ.  Lots of people cope with weak to zero feel in their touch receptors located throughout their hands.  My father hands had no feel, to speak of, partly because of his job in the auto industry.  The same is true with firefighters, construction works, and many other jobs that use their hands daily.  That is not anecdotal or personal observation either, its medical science at work, which a great many golfers conveniently overlook.  Nevertheless, it affects their ability when it comes to feel.  My buddy is a renowned surgeon, that wears two gloves when playing golf, as do 3 other surgeons I play with, each to protect those receptors as best they can, so they can feel subtle differences and manage different procedures during surgery.  The problem a lot of people are not aware that's the case with their hands, so their sense of delicate touch between this or that is relative, maybe even zilch.  Clinically, it's seen with taste as well as smell, too.   

I don't think we differ all that much.  It's just in my view, having a medical issue that has taken away the feel is very different from the shaft taking that feel away.   Those are very specific or specialized cases and not something that should be included in generalizations.

Our perceptions are different regarding spin and distance control too.  I don't see it as simple as the "swing".  

I don't' see anything about "the swing" being simple 🙂

But if you've found something that's works for you, all the power to you.  You wont get any criticism from me about it.

Anyways, you have good day.    

You too.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 3:43 PM, J13 said:

but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence from players on the benefits of graphite and joints.  I've experienced it first hand with my left wrist.  Within 2 months of switching to graphite the pain went away completely and hasn't returned.  This was after almost 2 years of a nagging pain from hitting balls. 

I experienced the same thing with my initial graphite experiment, with the added irony of not knowing my wrist/elbow were being irritated.  The irritation only became apparent in the absence of the irritation.  LOL

Recently, I had an instance where I was forced to switch iron sets at the turn, due to wrist irritation (fortunately had another set in the car).  My wrist ache actually had disappeared by the 14th tee.

Yes, it's anecdotal as hell.  Moving forward with it regardless.  🙂

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

21 hours ago, animalgolfs said:

71206-exclusive-bryson-dechambeau-says-hes-pushing-the-limits-heading-into-the-masters.jpg

Isn't it ironic?  The longest guy on tour uses nothing but graphite shafts in his bag.  I found out awhile back from making the switch over to composite that they aren't only for older or more injury prone golfers.  Making the switch to the Recoil protos from the c-tapers took awhile to get used to, but in the end it worked out.  Modern graphite shafts are far more stable then the older ones.  The MMT both feel great and are very stable for me.  As for reducing vibration,  I am certainly a big believer.  Although there isn't any scientific evidence to back up the claims, my hands hurt a lot less on mis hits for sure. 

• Like 4

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

14 minutes ago, J13 said:

For context, I'm a good amateur player that plays in state events ect... i'm a +1hcp that has a driver SS of around 115-116 on course.  When people saw me switch over to graphite they were surprised and had lots of questions, in fact they still do.  I understand why they are a little surprised to see graphite in a better players bag so I explain it to them like this.  

An injury led me to explore graphite, but with the injury in the rear view the performance is what keeps them in the bag.  MMT's are truly an equal to my Modus 120's and once i made the switch the elbow and wrist issues finally subsided and I play pain free.  I won't go back to steel that's for sure.

I'm not at your level, but I was giving a similar explanation to a couple guys at my golf course.  One is a 20 year old pro shop employee and golfer, the other is a 4 hdcp and member of the Men's Club at the course.  They realized graphite iron shafts are now quite a bit different than 25 years ago, but didn't realize it's been that way for nearly 15 years (NV MLTi as one example).

Except for some of the stock shaft offerings, that is.  

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

I'm not at your level, but I was giving a similar explanation to a couple guys at my golf course.  One is a 20 year old pro shop employee and golfer, the other is a 4 hdcp and member of the Men's Club at the course.  They realized graphite iron shafts are now quite a bit different than 25 years ago, but didn't realize it's been that way for nearly 15 years (NV MLTi as one example).

Except for some of the stock shaft offerings, that is.  

Yep.  It's similar in a lot of ways to using a push cart.  I was one of the first guys at my club to use one (for someone under the age of 60).  I was given all sorts of crap for it by the boys.  Fast forward 2 years and half the club has them, including all of the guys that gave me a hard time.  Regardless of what some people think, better players set trends.  I'm nobody special but at my club i'm one of the best players so people do pay attention to what i use.  Tour guys are on a whole other planet in terms of influence, they are global influencers.  Now that more and more are using graphite in irons it will snowball and the smart shaft companies will stay ahead of that curve.  KBS for example, they are getting more and more involved in graphite because if they don't they might not be in business in 10 years.

Edited by J13
  • Like 3

Edel PROTO

1 hour ago, J13 said:

Regardless of what some people think, better players set trends.  I'm nobody special but at my club i'm one of the best players so people do pay attention to what i use. 

I get some of that effect, but not because of my level of play.  Rather, it's due to many of the guys who know me, or know of me, also know that I spend a fair amount of time learning about equipment.  Once in a while, I get a random question.

That I'm something of a club ho with a metric scheiße tonne of clubs in my "golf room" downstairs may or may not add to that notoriety, LOL.  Then there's all the lead tape....

If I perform moderately well in the Men's Club events this year (my first year involved), I suppose it's possible there could be a bit more of that...  <shrug>

Edited by NRJyzr

45 minutes ago, Fujikura Golf said:

We make some VERY stiff options in our PRO line including 115 Tour-X. Might be worth a look.

One of the golf gods have spoken......its a sign 

Edited by animalgolfs
  • Like 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

On 5/23/2021 at 5:46 AM, Stuart_G said:

It's not flawed in the context of investigating the subjective nature of the results or that the designed characteristics of the shaft are not always a dominant factor in the results.

The real question is do you have any data or even a valid theory to support your argument?   The physics of the swing and how the stiffness of the shaft influences the results through the amount of forward bend is not that complicated and fairly well known and easily tested with robot data.   It's really just how the feel of the shaft can influence the swing and the results (the subjective human factor) that gets extremely complicated.

No, I wouldn't.

If you talking about your results, then that's a pretty small sample size to support any argument.  Nor does it indicate whether or not those results come directly from the forward bend of the shaft at impact vs some subjective influence to your swing from the different feel. A slightly more 'flippy' swing is actually a common subjective response from softer shaft for certain individuals.

But the bottom line is that for each individual when selecting a shaft, it doesn't really matter how much is subjective or objective.  Both effects are real and a valid thing to consider for the fitting. 

I suspect I have about as much hard data baked into my opinion as you do.  That said, I do have some empirical evidence.  Find me a PGA Tour pro that uses a regular flex in their irons.  You won't be able to.  Why?  Because the ball will flight too high for them.  Is it the "feel" of the regular shaft that causes them to hit the ball too high or is it the shaft design?  I will tell you that, to a man, regardless of how early or late their release is, or how the shaft feels to them, all of them will hit a regular shaft higher than an extra stiff shaft.

And I will throw your question to me back at you.  Do you have any data or even a valid theory to support your argument that the feel of the shaft can influence the swing and the results?  Or is it just your opinion.  Robot testing does not take into account an individual person's "feel", as a robot does not have any feel.  

Regarding my personal results, do you know anybody who hits a Blueboard lower than a Whiteboard?  Early release.  Late release.  Mid release.  Doesn't matter.  Everybody will hit the Blueboard higher on average.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

On 5/23/2021 at 10:57 AM, BackNineCollapse said:

The study was designed specifically to test the effect of expectation on results.  We do robot testing to quantify the actual effect of shaft properties on launch parameters (spoiler, there's almost no effect regardless of CHS/release pattern, etc.)  For a vast majority of golfers, nearly all of the changes in launch parameters are due to how they react to a shaft (by changing their delivery based on kinesthetic feedback), and not from the shaft itself altering clubhead orientation.  Shafts do have an effect, but it's very small (which is not to say it's not important, just that the magnitude is vastly overestimated by basically everyone).

People vary in how sensitive they are to shaft differences.  Some people are very sensitive, some are closer to robots.  This too is malleable.  We did a study where after collecting baseline data, people were randomized to seeing our robot data vs. not.  The people that saw the robot data (showing shafts have very little effect), subsequently had much less variation in their launch parameters when swinging markedly different shaft profiles.

Being shaft sensitive is a good thing, it opens up fitting options.  And based on our data, I apologize for this post, as you are probably less sensitive now.

I'll bet your robot testing showed, without exception, that shafts that were designed to flight higher did in fact flight higher than shafts that were designed to flight lower.  The difference may be small, a degree or two, but there will be a difference.  Why?  Because that's how the shafts were designed to perform.

And, further, I'll bet that if you didn't tell your test subjects in advance what shaft flex they were using, or give them any other preconceived expectations, that shafts that were designed to flight higher would in fact flight higher than shafts that were designed to flight lower, on average.  Without exception.

You've stated the real answer, but you have it backwards.  It's not the person.  It's the shaft.  Shaft designs are directly responsible for the kinesthetic feedback that a person feels.  All shafts that are designed to flight lower will produce similar kinesthetic feedback.  The feedback may vary somewhat from person to person, but to a man, everybody will think that a shaft that is designed to flight lower will feel stiffer (or more boardy) than a shaft that is designed to flight higher.  Assuming, of course, that it's a blind test and you haven't tried to color their expectations with a preconceived notion.  The placebo effect can be very powerful and can effect what a person consciously perceives.

I've seen robot testing before in person.  It's had no impact on my golf swing.  For me, an extra stiff shaft will always flight lower than a regular flex shaft (of the same weight).  It did on the robot, too.  Every time.

On 5/24/2021 at 3:23 AM, BackNineCollapse said:

2nd EDIT:  An example of what can be done is the KBS TGI shaft.  KBS was able to produce a shaft that is essentially identical (overall flex and flex profile) to steel shaft they make, with the graphite shaft being 20-25g lighter.

I have tried  the KBS TGI 70s  and found them pretty tight.The flex rating is 3.0 against the KBS tour  R flex in taper of  5.0/5.1  Do you know  how this disparity in flex equates to a pretty similar feel?

On 5/23/2021 at 4:23 PM, BackNineCollapse said:

Come on now.  I'll bet if I put a post on wrx asking the people who switched from steel to graphite because their hands/elbows/shoulders hurt too much using steel, that to a man they would say that graphite shafts lessened or even eliminated the pain.  It did for me.  Unless, of course, I have a preconceived notion that graphite will make my pain go away and it does via a placebo effect.  That maybe the kinesthetic feedback from a steel shaft makes me "feel" like I have pain that I don't really have.  (eyeroll)

And your pushup example is not a good one.  Hit a washing machine with your bare hands.  Then put a yoga mat on the washing machine and hit it with your hands.  Which one hurts your hands/elbows/shoulders more.  We are not pushing the golf ball.  We are hitting it.

I will agree, though, that the main advantage of graphite is that you can attain the same EI profile in a lighter weight shaft, which will likely increase your swing speed and result in longer shots.  And, the lighter weight shaft also reduces the amount of energy you expend swinging it, meaning you are less tired towards the end of the round, which also can be beneficial to your mental ability to concentrate.

On 5/24/2021 at 1:11 PM, Ri_Redneck said:

I have never bought into the "launch characteristics" side of shaft design simply because I really don't see much difference in them. I have a tendency to try just about anything and have a fairly large assortment of drivers with shafts that are high, mid and low launch. I see virtually no launch difference at all when comparing them. For that reason alone, I typically ignore that spec when looking at shafts. I find weight, torque and flex (in that order) to be FAR more important.

BT

Well, weight, torque, and flex are integral parts of the launch characteristics of a shaft's design.

On 5/24/2021 at 4:05 PM, J13 said:

Funny enough but Phil was using a Mitsu MMT 105TX in his UT iron.

Well that certainly doesn't fit the narrative.

On 5/25/2021 at 10:06 AM, NRJyzr said:

I experienced the same thing with my initial graphite experiment, with the added irony of not knowing my wrist/elbow were being irritated.  The irritation only became apparent in the absence of the irritation.  LOL

Recently, I had an instance where I was forced to switch iron sets at the turn, due to wrist irritation (fortunately had another set in the car).  My wrist ache actually had disappeared by the 14th tee.

Yes, it's anecdotal as hell.  Moving forward with it regardless.  🙂

You are still feeling the pain, but you don't know it.  You have preconceived notion that graphite will lessen the pain, so it does via a placebo effect.  If somebody had told you that it was steel that lessened the pain, then that's what would have happened.  Shaft design has nothing to do with it.  It's all about what you think will happen.  🙃