Help me understand the difference between HZRDUS and Evenflow and "tempo fitting"

True Temper says HZRDUS is for aggressive swingers and Evenflow is for smoother tempos. 

From a technical standpoint, how are these built differently to achieve those target fits? 

Secondly, do you agree with TT's marketing angle on these shafts or have your fitting results been different from expectations? 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone who is aggressive in transition the hzrdus feels better and has worked better than the evenflow line for me.   PX designed the original hzrdus line of performance and didn’t take

Aggressive transitions load the shaft more (and faster) than smoother transitions so in general stiffer shafts tend to feel better for the aggressive players.   But there is no ideal amount of loading

I think one key metric is balance point.  Higher balance point (some call it "counter balance") plays well with smoother tempos and transitions.  The lower balance points are more aggressive swings.

I think one key metric is balance point.  Higher balance point (some call it "counter balance") plays well with smoother tempos and transitions.  The lower balance points are more aggressive swings.

I think the Evenflow as a line have higher BPs than the HZRDUS line.

However, within the HZRDUS line, the green and yellow are noted to have higher balance points.  I'm playing the Yellow 6.0 in my Tour Edge driver and FW.  I like them both and am not an aggressive swinger.

• Like 1

In my personal experience, their descriptions hold true. I have a pretty smooth swing, and I can’t load the Hzrdus shafts at all, especially the black. It’s a straight push or dead pull. 

I’ve gotten along a lot better with the Evenflow shafts when trying out clubs. 

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM2 set 1 click lower- Attas Elements Earth 7f4 or Diamana Whiteboard 70s

Fairway: Cobra Radspeed Tour 5w turned down to 16.5* (Shaft TBD, but Motore F1 is solid)

Hybrids: 19* Adams Super Hybrid LS XTD Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 Stiff, 23* Adams Pro DGS300
Irons:  21* Wilson Staff Utility Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 stiff, 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro:  All shafted with Modus 125s
Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore Wedges (All Raw with Modus 125 Wedge shafts) 48* bent to 49*, 52* Mid bent to 53*, 56* Mid bent to 58*. 

Putter: White Hot OG 7s or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, me05501 said:

True Temper says HZRDUS is for aggressive swingers and Evenflow is for smoother tempos. 

From a technical standpoint, how are these built differently to achieve those target fits? 

Secondly, do you agree with TT's marketing angle on these shafts or have your fitting results been different from expectations?

Aggressive transitions load the shaft more (and faster) than smoother transitions so in general stiffer shafts tend to feel better for the aggressive players.   But there is no ideal amount of loading nor is there any one concept of what a good feel is for the player - it's all really very subjective.   You can have aggressive players that want/need to feel more loading or smooth transition players that want to feel less.   That makes it a very rough generalization at best.  There will always be plenty of exceptions so you should never treat that (or any other shaft marketing 'advice') as anything more than maybe a reason to demo the shaft.  They should never be used to make a purchase decisions or treated as any kind of hard and fast rule one must follow.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 2

I use evenflow white in my driver and hzrdus yellow in my 3 wood. Both at 6.5 flex and get on fine with them both.

Had a 2 iron with hzrdus black in 6.5 and couldn't get on with it at all as I felt it was too stiff for me to get anything out of it. Also had an evenflow in the green/blue colour in 6.5 in a hybrid and couldn't get on with that either.

Just depends on how you get on with the shaft and what feels best to you. 

8 hours ago, me05501 said:

As someone who is aggressive in transition the hzrdus feels better and has worked better than the evenflow line for me.

PX designed the original hzrdus line of performance and didn’t take into account feel. When they designed the evenflow line they wanted the performance factor to be maintained but accounted for the feel aspect. This is directly from Don Brown at PX 

• Like 2

I tend to agree with their assessment of the two lines. I’m more of an aggressive swinger and get along very well with the Hzrdus line, but for the life of me can’t hit the Evenflow line at all. 

• Like 1

DriverCobra Radspeed XB (10.5) Season Opener / Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green Small Batch PVD 60 (6.0) or PXG Gen4 0811x (10.5) / Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green Small Batch PVD 60 (6.0)
Fairway:  Taylormade Sim Max Rocket (14) / Aldila Tour Blue 65 (stiff)

Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5) / Hzrdus Red 75 (6.0)

Hybrid:  Cobra F7 3-4 (20.5) / Aldila Tour Blue 85 (stiff)
Irons:  PXG O.G. 0211 (5 - Gw) / T.T. Elevate Tour (x-stiff)
Wedge:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore Raw (54/12) / Nippon Modus 125w
Wedge:  TM Hi-Toe (60/10) / KBS Hi Rev 2.0

Putter:  Mannkrafted MA/55 (Custom) or Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa #9Ht (Custom)
Bag:  Bennington LQO-9