How long do you give a new club...?

How long do you give a new club before going back to what it replaced? I bought a SIM2 with my shaft a few weeks ago and had it delivered and have played about 4-5 rounds with it, and just have not struck it nearly as well as the Ping G400LST that it was replacing. I was hitting my driver as well as I have ever hit it, a few days hitting multiple 340-350 yard drives and getting like 70-80% FIR, which is unheard of for me. Since trying the new driver, I'm just not hitting anything on the course nearly as well. It may be a swing weight thing or a look at address or confidence thing, but how many rounds do you give a new club before ditching it?

Ping G400 LST VA Drago 65

Cobra F8+ 3W / 5W VA Slay 75

PXG Gen2 0317x 4H VA Slay 85

PXG Gen3 0311T 5-GW Oban CT 115

Titleist Vokey SM8 56/60 Oban CT 115

TaylorMade Spider X

-----------------------------------------

PXG Gen2 0317x 3H VA Slay 85 and Gen3 0311T 4i Oban CT 115 for sea level trips

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So i have to be the one to say it.....?   Only on GolfWRX do you hit 350yd drives at an 80% fairway rate and decide "i think i need a new driver"   LOL   When i buy a new

With those driving statistics, you're probably better off asking your TM Tour Rep when you get to Kiawah (if you're not there already) instead of a bunch of strangers on the internet.

The question isn’t really how long does it take to know, the question is how long does it take to admit it.     I think most experienced players know almost immediately.  When I admit it depend

With a driver, I usually give it about 10 balls of outdoor testing. I think you can generally tell within the first 5 or so if your swing is adjusting to the setup or if the setup matches your swing. I just picked up a G410 LST and put a Diamana DF in it. Knew within the first couple swings the midsection of the shaft was a little soft for my liking. Going back to a whiteboard profile

If my swing is “on” I’ll give it about 3 rounds; just to be sure…. But yeah, you can kinda tell right away.  Once you know it’s all about developing the sample size of information to make your decision comfortable.  For me, 3 rounds when playing “well” gives me enough on-course data to validate a suspicion.  I’d my game is off, I’ll wait a little longer to gather more data.  

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, Ventus Black 6X 
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, Ventus Blue 7X
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19.5*, Ventus Blue 9X

TaylorMade P770 4-5, P7MC 6-PW, DG TI X100
TaylorMade MG2 50, 54, 58, DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 (2021)

Yea, my swing has been a bit off the last few weeks as I'm working through some things I was working on during some lessons (have lesson mind going on.. most dangerous time in golf..). but I should have found some feel by now, at least some consistency, and its still not there. ill go back to try out my Ping and see if good feels come back.

TaylorMade Spider X

If my results with a new club are absolutely awful, maybe two rounds. Probably more like a round and a half.

If it seems promising but I can't seem to quite get my best results with it, I might stick to it for four or five rounds. But if I'm not in love after half a dozen rounds then it's a goner for sure. Usually less.

By the third or forth hit I can tell what's going on and what's going to work. Most everything in my bag were one hit wonders. 

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

I got a new driver a couple weeks ago and my first time on the course with it, there was a drastic improvement from the old one, which wasn’t that bad to begin with. I got a new set of irons a few years ago and played with the damn things for almost the entire summer trying to get used to them. I finally put them away and took out the old ones and immediately started playing better. A whole summer is too long… Ha

26 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

So i have to be the one to say it.....?

Only on GolfWRX do you hit 350yd drives at an 80% fairway rate and decide "i think i need a new driver"

LOL

When i buy a new driver i give it a couple of rounds. For my real answer. I'll know after a couple of rounds if it works or not

Ha. So true!

15 minutes ago, Collegefbfan said:

Okay, I have to be the one to ask this.  I guess.  You guys have played long enough to be able to tell the middle of the shaft doesn't jive with you?  Or a certain weight of the setup?  Man, how long does it take to become that sensitive to the various things involving a club and a swing?  Guess I can only dream...

Unless you're a complete beginner who literally struggles to get the club on the ball two times in a row (like we all started out) then you'll notice that some clubs let you more consistently make good swings than others. Over time you start noticing patterns. Maybe if a club feels "heavy" it works better than one that feels "light". Or if a driver shaft feels "whippy" during your downswing the ball goes farther than one which feels "stiff" on the downswing. Whatever it is, totally subjective impressions but they do eventually start correlating with measurable things about the club and/or shaft specs. 

I'd after a couple years when I was able to break 100 most of the time I was also starting to notice a few things about the clubs that seemed to matter to me. Couldn't necessarily translate that in such-and-such club specification numbers but I could swing a club a few times, maybe hit a few balls and get a sense for whether it was worth really a longer term tryout.

But when someone gets to the point where they the butt and tip felt good but the midsection was a bit too loose...

...I suspect they've been either spending too much time with a "club fitter" or watching too many YouTube videos. All IMHO of course!

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Collegefbfan said:

Okay, I have to be the one to ask this.  I guess.  You guys have played long enough to be able to tell the middle of the shaft doesn't jive with you?  Or a certain weight of the setup?  Man, how long does it take to become that sensitive to the various things involving a club and a swing?  Guess I can only dream...

First, you’ve built a very nice beginners bag.  The best thing for your game right now would probably be to stay out of the GolfWRX equipment and instruction forums until at least October...

Second, once you have a consistent swing and a baseline of feels with your equipment, you’ll start to develop a better sense of what is happening - or more accurately, what you feel is happening.

Some folks like a very pronounced load in transition in the shaft.  Some like the shaft to feel like rebar.  Some like to feel a kick in the hitting zone.  Some like rebar.  Some like heavier and more stable.  Some like lively.  There is no right or wrong - just what feels best to you.

• Like 2

917D2 9.5 w/S+

TS2 16.5 and 21 w/AD-DI

ZX-U 3i w/NS 950GH -or- 818 H1 23 deg w/AD-DI

ZX5 5i - 6i and ZX7 7i - PW w/Modus 105

SM7 50-12, SM7 54S, and SM6 58-12K @ 59

Ping MnBn MyDay

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, adamnbomb said:

With a driver, I usually give it about 10 balls of outdoor testing. I think you can generally tell within the first 5 or so if your swing is adjusting to the setup or if the setup matches your swing. I just picked up a G410 LST and put a Diamana DF in it. Knew within the first couple swings the midsection of the shaft was a little soft for my liking. Going back to a whiteboard profile

You speak like a true club ho in Golf Wrx fashion, lol.  I agree though it shouldn't take more than 20 balls to know if the club fits or not.  I believe that most golfers can work with just about any OEM head provided the loft is spot on as face angle can be adjusted, however, the shaft has to be right IMO.   To the OP, I have kept clubs anywhere from a week to 10 years.  After a lot of trial and error and trackman numbers over the years, I've learned to keep whatever set up works for me period.  If it doesn't fit me, don't buy or at the very least flip it on BST or the bay. 

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Beware the 3 round rule.  Wait at least 5 rounds before getting rid of the old club.  Any new club might have only 3 good rounds in it.  I’ve had drivers and putters that worked miraculously for the first 3 times playing them.  Then its mojo suddenly runs dry and it becomes worse than the old club.  I’ve confirmed this phenomenon with golfers older and more wise than me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Cobra Fly Z+, a permanent fixture 
Bridgestone J33 (3W,5W), also permanent,
Wilson Staff FG-51 (3-PW) or one of two other sets,

Northwestern Shot Saver (SW)  530 gram sand shovel,
Wilson Staff 8882 or something else

I generally test out interesting club models and get a short list before I go for fittings.

3 hours ago, adamnbomb said:

With a driver, I usually give it about 10 balls of outdoor testing. I think you can generally tell within the first 5 or so if your swing is adjusting to the setup or if the setup matches your swing.

I've been playing for 50+ years, so I have a sense of what equipment will and won't work. I can usually tell within a dozen balls whether I want to advance to the launch monitor aspect of fitting.

As far as on-course test, it takes awhile to get used to a club. "Going back" to earlier model has only happened so far with fairway woods and hybrids.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

10 balls and I know if I like it. 
5 rounds and I know if it fits me. 

Sometimes, you want to love a club but she doesn’t love you back. 
Other times, you learn only after a couple rounds how great she really is. 

My Tour Edge EXS 220 hybrids were not love at first sight, but are slowly becoming my secret weapons. Glad I gave them some time. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, North Butte said:

Unless you're a complete beginner who literally struggles to get the club on the ball two times in a row (like we all started out) then you'll notice that some clubs let you more consistently make good swings than others. Over time you start noticing patterns. Maybe if a club feels "heavy" it works better than one that feels "light". Or if a driver shaft feels "whippy" during your downswing the ball goes farther than one which feels "stiff" on the downswing. Whatever it is, totally subjective impressions but they do eventually start correlating with measurable things about the club and/or shaft specs. 

I'd after a couple years when I was able to break 100 most of the time I was also starting to notice a few things about the clubs that seemed to matter to me. Couldn't necessarily translate that in such-and-such club specification numbers but I could swing a club a few times, maybe hit a few balls and get a sense for whether it was worth really a longer term tryout.

But when someone gets to the point where they the butt and tip felt good but the midsection was a bit too loose...

...I suspect they've been either spending too much time with a "club fitter" or watching too many YouTube videos. All IMHO of course!

I only know that I prefer my clubs short, flat and woods/hybrids must sit open.  I’ve felt recent Ping drivers are too heavy, but I’ve never felt a club was too heavy or too light before that.  I have played 90g uniflex shafts in my irons and I’ve played 130g X shafts as well.  I have been fitted, but felt no magic.  The clubs that I wound up with are good, but just that, good.  Nothing really changed although I do like my setup.  I don’t know if I’ll ever really care a lot about specs if a club looks and feels good.

Edit: not saying you’re wrong.  Everyone is different.  Just saying not everyone will develop the same set of “must haves”.  I could play almost any stiff driver shaft assuming it was the right length and 55-75 grams.

Edited by kintap

Callaway Epic Max 9* w/ Mitsubishi MMT 60S

Titleist 917 F2 16.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 70S

Ping G410 Hybrid 22* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Srixon z585 4I w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Srixon z785 5-P w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 50*, 54*, 58* w/ DG Tour Issue S400

Taylormade Spider X Slant Neck

Titleist Pro V1x

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

So i have to be the one to say it.....?

Only on GolfWRX do you hit 350yd drives at an 80% fairway rate and decide "i think i need a new driver"

LOL

When i buy a new driver i give it a couple of rounds. For my real answer. I'll know after a couple of rounds if it works or not

Totally fair.

BUT.. in my defense.. I wasn't hitting my driver that well BEFORE putting in a purchase order. Not even close to that. Then something clicked and it was magic. But the new driver was in the mail by then...

If I'd KNOWN that I was going to smoke my old driver, I never would have even considered a new one haha

*also I live in Denver, so 350 with roll here is like 320 at sea level, so not as impressive, but for me is still just awesome!*

Edited by mxskier

TaylorMade Spider X

5 hours ago, Aviador Naval said:

First, you’ve built a very nice beginners bag.  The best thing for your game right now would probably be to stay out of the GolfWRX equipment and instruction forums until at least October...

Second, once you have a consistent swing and a baseline of feels with your equipment, you’ll start to develop a better sense of what is happening - or more accurately, what you feel is happening.

Some folks like a very pronounced load in transition in the shaft.  Some like the shaft to feel like rebar.  Some like to feel a kick in the hitting zone.  Some like rebar.  Some like heavier and more stable.  Some like lively.  There is no right or wrong - just what feels best to you.

Wow, stay out of those two forums until October.  Is that a way of saying that I post too much trying to learn about the sport?

With a driver.  It’s pretty instant.  If I have to work to make it do what I want to see ...., it’s crap .  A good driver feels like it hits itself.  A bad one is opposite.  It’s hard work and you never know where it’s going.  10 balls or so will tell. 

Mizuno ST-Z 9.5 Diamana TB 70TX 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Posted (edited)

My “new to me” Sim made it two rounds and a range session.  It’s in the BST now. 

I made the exact same mistake as you and took a hot club out of the bag.   I was consistently deep off the tee (in Denver as well) with my M3 and usually in the middle or not far off the fairway.    Figured I was losing the pop in the club head with it being 4 years old, bought a sim and absolutely hated it.  Weak limp noodle fades every swing. 

Edited by Phabs

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS