Is the Flightscope Mevo + right for me?

I'm really curious to hear the thoughts from others, particularly those who have a Mevo +.  I have never owned a launch monitor before getting a Rapsodo MLM recently.  After using it for a couple weeks, I'm sending it back.  For one, I couldn't get it to read accurately at all on my range.  It might have been user error but after two outings, I gave up.  I figure that if it's that picky with getting it set up, I don't want to mess with it.  I decided instead to set up an outdoor hitting area into a net with it.  However, even though I have an older iPhone and an iPad, neither are the right versions to be able to use hitting into a net.  Therefore, instead of spending a few hundred dollars on a new iPad, I'm sending it back and am now considering purchasing a Mevo+ to get better accuracy and more data along with not having to own an apple product.

My questions are...

1.  Will the Mevo+ work with a pc or my android phone?  I've gotten very confused on this topic.  I have read that people use it connected to their PC.  However, on Flightscope's website, they state "Download for IOS and Android".  Although, then under that, it says that "our apps only work when a mevo unit is paired with your mobile device and mevo+ apps currently only work on iOS".  I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to purchase an iPad or iPhone to use this. Are they just referring to their own app but you can purchase other 3rd party apps that do work on Android?

2. I'm considering this purchase solely to get better.  I'm not looking at this as a toy or just something to do.  I have access to my golf course throughout the year, as I live in Florida right off one of my club's holes.  However, we don't have a range so working on my game is limiting.  I'd really like to dedicate some time to improving my swing and getting a better handle on what I hit each club.  I would think that a personal launch monitor would help in this regard provided that I'm practicing in a meaningful way, correct?  This seems like an obvious answer but just want to have realistic expectations.

3. I currently have a net and mat under a very larger carport that was originally built for an RV so it's very tall, long, and wide (space is not an issue).  I plan to use the launch monitor in this way probably 80% of the time versus taking it to a range which I'll only do occasionally.  From what I've read about the Mevo+, it should be pretty accurate in this kind of environment.  Is there anything that I should know about using it mostly hitting into a net?

Any other thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

You can use it with Android, both FS Golf and FS Skills work with it.

As long as there's no interference, it should work fine in a garage/carport with a net and mat. Plenty of people use it in this manner with no issue. I haven't had any odd readings when using it this way; just be sure to watch out for any possible interference sources, and you'll be good! 😊 The outdoor hitting area you set up for the Rapsodo would also work.

Since using it, it's really helped in improving. I've improved quite a bit and really helps incorporate work from lessons, and it's been reflected on course.

I appreciate the reply.  So, was I correct in that it's just Flightscope's app that only works on IOS?  

The Raposodo won't work for me because I don't have a damn Apple product that is compatible with it.  My dad gave me his old iPhone 6 and my wife has a one year old iPad but it doesn't work either.  

1 hour ago, theorangeman said:

I appreciate the reply.  So, was I correct in that it's just Flightscope's app that only works on IOS?  

The Raposodo won't work for me because I don't have a damn Apple product that is compatible with it.  My dad gave me his old iPhone 6 and my wife has a one year old iPad but it doesn't work either.  

You can use the two Flightscope apps (FS Golf and FS Skills) with Android, if the phone is made in 2015 or later. I used it myself about an hour ago on the driving range.

The one year iPad should also work with the FS Apps, as well as the e6 app that comes along with the purchase of a Mevo+. I use an iPad exclusively when working indoors in the garage. iPhones / iPads with: iOS 13 or later should work.

As for the garage setup, it should work. I'd be wary of the things on the left, but I think if they're far enough left, they shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 12:05 PM, theorangeman said:

I'm really curious to hear the thoughts from others, particularly those who have a Mevo +.  I have never owned a launch monitor before getting a Rapsodo MLM recently.  After using it for a couple weeks, I'm sending it back.  For one, I couldn't get it to read accurately at all on my range.  It might have been user error but after two outings, I gave up.  I figure that if it's that picky with getting it set up, I don't want to mess with it.  I decided instead to set up an outdoor hitting area into a net with it.  However, even though I have an older iPhone and an iPad, neither are the right versions to be able to use hitting into a net.  Therefore, instead of spending a few hundred dollars on a new iPad, I'm sending it back and am now considering purchasing a Mevo+ to get better accuracy and more data along with not having to own an apple product.

My questions are...

1.  Will the Mevo+ work with a pc or my android phone?  I've gotten very confused on this topic.  I have read that people use it connected to their PC.  However, on Flightscope's website, they state "Download for IOS and Android".  Although, then under that, it says that "our apps only work when a mevo unit is paired with your mobile device and mevo+ apps currently only work on iOS".  I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to purchase an iPad or iPhone to use this. Are they just referring to their own app but you can purchase other 3rd party apps that do work on Android?

2. I'm considering this purchase solely to get better.  I'm not looking at this as a toy or just something to do.  I have access to my golf course throughout the year, as I live in Florida right off one of my club's holes.  However, we don't have a range so working on my game is limiting.  I'd really like to dedicate some time to improving my swing and getting a better handle on what I hit each club.  I would think that a personal launch monitor would help in this regard provided that I'm practicing in a meaningful way, correct?  This seems like an obvious answer but just want to have realistic expectations.

3. I currently have a net and mat under a very larger carport that was originally built for an RV so it's very tall, long, and wide (space is not an issue).  I plan to use the launch monitor in this way probably 80% of the time versus taking it to a range which I'll only do occasionally.  From what I've read about the Mevo+, it should be pretty accurate in this kind of environment.  Is there anything that I should know about using it mostly hitting into a net?

Any other thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Im also considering a Mevo+ so I can practice and dial in wedges some at home. Here are my thoughts based mostly on your question #2...

Without a range at your club I would think this would be an excellent investment and essentially create a range at home. Because this device has spin axis, etc. you can simulate ball flight and again essentially have a range. You’ll also get better at understanding your true carry numbers on both solid strikes and mishits which is helpful. 

in terms of “working on your swing” I personally don’t think this is doable without the more expensive units that provide club data like club path, face to path, swing direction, AOA, etc. You can make guesses on what is happening based on ball data but truly working on your swing mechanics requires either a teachers eye or the club data (or preferably both). 

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

9 hours ago, cmatthews77 said:

in terms of “working on your swing” I personally don’t think this is doable without the more expensive units that provide club data like club path, face to path, swing direction, AOA, etc. You can make guesses on what is happening based on ball data but truly working on your swing mechanics requires either a teachers eye or the club data (or preferably both). 

Yeah, I can see that.  What I was really thinking with that is the video would be really helpful.  For example, I had a lesson a couple weeks ago and the pro pointed out a couple of things to work on.  While hitting into a net at home, I've been video recording my swing and can tell it's getting more like what he was showing me.  I'm hoping that the Mevo+ video works similarly so that I can actually see what I'm doing.

Edited by theorangeman

On 5/21/2021 at 9:36 AM, theorangeman said:

Yeah, I can see that.  What I was really thinking with that is the video would be really helpful.  For example, I had a lesson a couple weeks ago and the pro pointed out a couple of things to work on.  While hitting into a net at home, I've been video recording my swing and can tell it's getting more like what he was showing me.  I'm hoping that the Mevo+ video works similarly so that I can actually see what I'm doing.

Your on the right track.   People have been working on their swings successfully for hundreds of years without the benefit of an LM that gives club data and only "seeing" the ball flight results.  Just giving yourself the opportunity to practice when you otherwise might not have been able to take the time is way more important - well, as long as you have a good practice plan.   

Is the club data nice to help track progress for changes?  certainly but it's far from necessary.   And worse, It can actually be misused as some people can get too caught up in the numbers and overlook the real problems.  Those numbers don't really help all that much at telling you what the core problem is in the swing or what you need to do to fix them.  They only show the consequences of the problem, not the route cause.  Video (if you know what to look for) is going to be much more useful feedback when it comes to improving the swing.

Edited by Stuart_G

I have a Mevo+. I use it indoors during the winter months mostly to practice and also outdoors in the summer to work on distances.  

It is a great unit.  Very accurate outdoors and good accuracy indoors/short flight if your setup is good.  Given your carport, I would recommend a larger net to get longer flight of the ball.  More flight = better results. 

I have had mine for over a year and happy to answer any questions. 

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

I am an early Mevo+ adopter that I wanted speed/spin/distance etc...info on. Helping gap, and also data when working on swing. Indoor use was practice during winter, I don't putt with it. My indoor setup is a bit tight, but in garage 8' behind 10'ish to the net. I have noticed that dots give a bit better spin readings then no dots but my expectations are moderate with this shorter indoor setup. 

Is path info good? Sure. Do I need it for my skill level and at this price point? Nope.

I work with a pro who as a Trackman 4, and while the path info helps during the lesson if I am working on trying to shallow path and get left (- path angle) a bit , with my mevo strike quality and AoA (steeper vs. shallow, no flippy is what I am am trying to remove) Vertical Launch angle and spin gives plenty of data to reinforce what I think I am seeing with my eyes and feeling during practice.

As reported by many users, I just wish it was a bit better with spin readings on longer clubs/higher ball speeds. For what I use it for I rate it at a B in my satisfaction with it and I use it a few times a week. 

Edited by bvanlieu
  • Like 1

I got a mevo+ this February. Relative to my concerns about it (setup sensitivity, enough room and internet horror stories) I’m very pleased. I have it in a relatively tight space and it works well. I have ~11 feet to the net and spin rates do seem to be the one area I’d like improved but it mostly seems to be with higher ball speeds / drivers. Since mevo/ flight scope recommends 13 ft to the net I don’t think it’s a really valid complaint unless u can get your setup to mfg recommendation. It seems that short iron / wedge spin is a bit low indoors too it thst could be the mat. I was on a tm a few times this winter and well struck 5 iron data was practically identical.  

I’ve used it outside a couple of times and it seemed much more accurate. 

check Scott hogan golf on YouTube , I think he uses a pc with his mevo+ and has been responsive and helpful to me. 

Callaway Epic 10*
TM Jetspeed

Titleist Tsi2 21 hybrid

Titleist AP3 5-P
Titleist SM8 48, 52, 56, old 60K
Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Lined