PXG 0211 DC vs Gen 3 0311 XP?

kuch

If cost wasn't the issue what's the performance differences between the 2021 0211's and the Gen3 0311 XP's?  Price is great on both of these irons. Specifically for a 14 HC looking for forgiveness and some help in distance and high ball flight.  Love the G425 performance but don't love the feel/ sound.

9 minutes ago, kuch said:

If cost wasn't the issue what's the performance differences between the 2021 0211's and the Gen3 0311 XP's?  Price is great on both of these irons. Specifically for a 14 HC looking for forgiveness and some help in distance and high ball flight.  Love the G425 performance but don't love the feel/ sound.

Interested in this too. Moving on from my OG 0211's because I need a lighter shaft. I'll probably go hit these against each other in a fitting soon. 

PXG 0811X Gen4 Ventus Black 6S
PXG 0341x Proto 3 Wood Fuji Speeder 757 Evo TS 7s

PXG 0341x 5 wood Diamana S+ 70S
PXG 0311 Gen3 P 4-GW Elevate Tour S
PXG 0311 Forged 54*/Camo 60* Elevate Tour S 
PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Bridgestone BX

Posted (edited)

I def feel the G425 is a considerable improvement over the G410 in most areas.  I went through a fitting for the G425 and also hit the G410's several times last year.

Have to admit I think the 0311 XP Gen is a really nice looking GI iron and the current price is tempting.  I just don't have a chance to demo them for 3 weeks with a local PXG rep according to their schedule.  I am looking for anybody that can offer some insight between the 0211 DC's and the Gen 3 XP's  and if possible, the Ping G425. 

Edited by kuch

2019 0211's were way better than Gen 2 and 3 0311 irons for me, both in P and XF models. I have not tried the new 0211 irons. The 2019's are not bad, not sure how they compare to the new ones. New 0211's have stronger lofts.

• Like 1

Honma 747 460 10.5*

Honma 747 3W 15*

Apex 19 3H 20*

Honma TW-X 4-11

Callaway MD4 56*, 60*

2017 O-Works #7

31 minutes ago, localpar3guy said:

2019 0211's were way better than Gen 2 and 3 0311 irons for me, both in P and XF models. I have not tried the new 0211 irons. The 2019's are not bad, not sure how they compare to the new ones. New 0211's have stronger lofts.

What did you like better about the '19-  0211 vs the Gen3 0311 (in particular the XF)?

Just now, kuch said:

What did you like better about the '19-  0211 vs the Gen3 0311 (in particular the XF)?

For me, the 2019 0211's felt better, I had better dispersion. Distance was similar between models. The XF's weren't for me, the P's were better but a little too demanding. The progressive offset was done was really well IMO, the scoring clubs were great.

I only suggest finding the right shaft. My only problem was that they were a little too high spin for me with the Elevate 95 shaft when I took them on the course. I blame the shaft and not the club heads.

• Like 1

Honma 747 460 10.5*

Honma 747 3W 15*

Apex 19 3H 20*

Honma TW-X 4-11

Callaway MD4 56*, 60*

2017 O-Works #7

Have to reiterate that the OG 0211’s are just THAT good. Had a great round yesterday with them. Felt amazing with the B X ball and just went long and straight. They are good. 

• Like 1

PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Bridgestone BX

It’s true, the OG 0211 are money. I have a set I bought new and have played them ever since. Recently ordered some new irons but the 0211 aren’t going anywhere just in case 

• Like 1

DriverPXG Gen4 0811x (10.5) / Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green Small Batch PVD 60 (6.0)
Fairway:  Taylormade Sim Max Rocket (14) / Aldila Tour Blue 65 (stiff)

Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5) / Hzrdus Red 75 (6.0)

Hybrid:  Cobra F7 3-4 (20.5) / Aldila Tour Blue 85 (stiff)
Irons:  Mizuno 921 Hot Metal (5-Gw) / Project X LZ 6.0 Black
Wedge:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore Raw (54/12) / Nippon Modus 125w
Wedge:  TM Hi-Toe (60/10) / KBS Hi Rev 2.0

Putter:  Mannkrafted MA/55 (Custom)
Bag:  Bennington LQO-9

For me it's the 0211 DC's.   I swung the 0311 XP's with SteelFiber's that some guy I approached on the range had in his bag, and the results were just okay.  Could very well have just been the shaft as I am not a big fan of SteelFiber.  I want to transition into graphite, so I went with the MMT 80.  They feel really good.  Not boardie, not week.  They handle hard swings as well as soft swings. As for the 0211 heads, they feel very soft on well struck shots and slight mis-hits, they are consistent, and they are long.  Easy to work both ways, easy to hit a soft draw.  (My standard shot).     All in all, for $99 per head, you can't go wrong with the 0211 DC's.  

For reference, I'm 56, 8hdcp, 103-105 swing speed (driver), and a fast tempo.  

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSi4

3Wood: Titleist TSi3

5Wood: Titleist TSi3 
Irons:  Maltby TS2
Wedges:  Callaway CB
Putter: T/A Impact 2 - Wide

Great info guys!  I hit some Gen 2 0311 XFs and now I’m hooked.  Are the Gen 3 0311 XPs that much better?  The 0211s felt good and also had good numbers.  I wish Golf Galaxy sold them!  Would love to try the newer stuff.  Any recommendations on placing an order with PXG?  The only steel shaft I saw with no up charge is the elevate??  Is this true?  Thanks 

10 hours ago, G Birdie said:

Great info guys!  I hit some Gen 2 0311 XFs and now I’m hooked.  Are the Gen 3 0311 XPs that much better?  The 0211s felt good and also had good numbers.  I wish Golf Galaxy sold them!  Would love to try the newer stuff.  Any recommendations on placing an order with PXG?  The only steel shaft I saw with no up charge is the elevate??  Is this true?  Thanks 

Discount Dans is the best place to order PXG irons from IMO.  In terms of the shafts, you are essentially correct.  PXG’s stock shaft selection sucks.  By the time you pick an up-charge shaft, and then upgrade the bad stock grips, the price jumps significantly.  Kind of frustrating when you are looking at $900 for a set, and it quickly becomes $1,200 or $1,300.  YMMV.

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* Driver, Mitsubishi MMT 60 S

Taylormade 300 Mini Driver, Mitsubishi MiDr Proto 65 R

Callaway Epic Flash 7 Wood, Accra FX 2.0 200F M3

Srixon Z H85 4 Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.0

Ping G425 Irons 5-UW, Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore SW (54*/10) and LW (58*/10), TT DG Spinner Wedge

Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

13 hours ago, G Birdie said:

Again, from personal experience, all Gen 2 models of PXG irons performed better than Gen 3. Idk what it was, but Gen 3 was trash for me. I think the dualcor was a reason, because Gen 4 is back to the filled head being one material, not dualcor. Might be a reason why the 2019 0211's felt so nice, it was still Gen 2 technology.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honma 747 460 10.5*

Honma 747 3W 15*

Apex 19 3H 20*

Honma TW-X 4-11

Callaway MD4 56*, 60*

2017 O-Works #7

16 hours ago, G Birdie said:

I did my shafts aftermarket and the cost was way more efficient and I was able to build them out exactly like I wanted. I’d recommend that buy the stock and have them build them after that fact if you can 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, G Birdie said:

Any idea what the handicap range is for the 0211s.  Thanks 

I kind of consider the OG 0211 to be a blend between the Ping i series and G series.  Look good, feel good, and perform very well.  I still have a set with Elevate Tour shafts, and in fact might take them out for 9 holes later.  Fun, forgiving irons to play.

• Thanks 1

I’ll jump in and give my 2 pennies.  I had Ping 425s with PX LZ, Gen3 XPs with MMT80, and OG 0211’s with Steelfiber i95s all at the same time.  Hit them extensively on the range over many months.  I feel like I learn more about irons on the range in the dirt than actually playing a round of golf. Anyways….

I hated the 425’s.  Actually, they looked good, smelled good and gave me anti- flaccid feelings as far as consistent distances and forgiveness in all situations.  They just sounded and felt absolutely horrid.  Hard, brittle and I just could not get used to the sound. Even on flushed shots it sounded like the ball is splitting in half.  I don’t like soft, low-compression balls so I got rid of this set.  I did play 1 round with them with ProV1’s and I still didn’t like the sound . Hard for me to admit cuz I’m a Ping Ho.  

0311 Gen3 XP’s.  Very nice.  Excellent set. Very forgiving, feel is outstanding and yes they are a little big but that doesn’t bother me much at all.  Still expensive at $199/stick but better than +$375/stick as before. 

OG 0211’s.  “Cheap”. Relatively speaking it was the $95/stick promo that originally got me into PXG.  These clubs are amazing.  Feel is outstanding.  Forgiveness is just as good as the Gen3 XP’s and they’re a joy to look at at address.   More compact but not too small.  Cleaner looking than AP1’s but not as big.  PXG nailed the size, shape and look of these irons.  To me, they’re just as good as the 0311 XP if not slightly “better” for waaaaaaaaaayy less $$$ than the Gen3 0311 XP.  I ended up getting rid of the Gen3 0311 XPs and will def keep the 0211’s.  

Next up is I ordered some Sub70 699s.  The ride on the Merry-Go-Ho never stops!!!! 😆 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, G Birdie said:

Man that sounds like exactly what I’m looking for. 

So, I took out the OG 0211 irons for 9 holes this evening. Yep, still a heck of a lot of fun to play. Perhaps a little long heel to toe for some people, but I just love the look of them looking down on the ball. Problem for me, is the shaft.

My first set of 0211 had Elevate 95, and they were a bit too light. This second set has the Elevate Tour, and they are a bit too heavy. If only TT made something in between the 95 and the Tour...spoiler alert: they do of course, the Elevate 105, but PXG doesn't carry it for some reason.  So, I don't think these are jumping into my bag, but I'll probably continue to keep them around.

• Thanks 1

Hope you played well!  I just bought a used set on here today.  Cant wait to get them.  This is my 1st set of PXGs.  I hit a 7 iron og 0211 the other day at PGA SS and I’m hooked.  These also have the tour elevate in X flex.  Any idea what these shafts weigh in x?  I’ve looked but no luck.  Hopefully the shaft will work??  Thanks

9 minutes ago, G Birdie said:

Hope you played well!  I just bought a used set on here today.  Cant wait to get them.  This is my 1st set of PXGs.  I hit a 7 iron og 0211 the other day at PGA SS and I’m hooked.  These also have the tour elevate in X flex.  Any idea what these shafts weigh in x?  I’ve looked but no luck.  Hopefully the shaft will work??  Thanks

Played fine, thanks.  This info is from Golfworks.  My sweet-spot is 105-110g, hence why the Elevate Tour stiff is a bit too heavy for me.  Hope the Tour X works for you--good luck!

Elevate Tour Spec sheet

• Thanks 2

I’ve got a set in the Tour X and I think they play more like a stiffer stiff. The weight at 122g is perfect for me as my wheelhouse is usually 120-125g. Such a great club 

DriverPXG Gen4 0811x (10.5) / Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green Small Batch PVD 60 (6.0)
Fairway:  Taylormade Sim Max Rocket (14) / Aldila Tour Blue 65 (stiff)

Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5) / Hzrdus Red 75 (6.0)

Hybrid:  Cobra F7 3-4 (20.5) / Aldila Tour Blue 85 (stiff)
Irons:  Mizuno 921 Hot Metal (5-Gw) / Project X LZ 6.0 Black
Wedge:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore Raw (54/12) / Nippon Modus 125w
Wedge:  TM Hi-Toe (60/10) / KBS Hi Rev 2.0

Putter:  Mannkrafted MA/55 (Custom)
Bag:  Bennington LQO-9

On 5/17/2021 at 8:26 PM, Millhill88 said:

For me it's the 0211 DC's.   I swung the 0311 XP's with SteelFiber's that some guy I approached on the range had in his bag, and the results were just okay.  Could very well have just been the shaft as I am not a big fan of SteelFiber.  I want to transition into graphite, so I went with the MMT 80.  They feel really good.  Not boardie, not week.  They handle hard swings as well as soft swings. As for the 0211 heads, they feel very soft on well struck shots and slight mis-hits, they are consistent, and they are long.  Easy to work both ways, easy to hit a soft draw.  (My standard shot).     All in all, for $99 per head, you can't go wrong with the 0211 DC's.  

For reference, I'm 56, 8hdcp, 103-105 swing speed (driver), and a fast tempo.  

Same!  Just got out of my Titleist 735cm with Rifle Flighted into the 2021 0211 w/ MMT and they are fantastic. Last year I had 0311T Gen 2, Srixon combo, and Mizuno 919Tours and never loved any of them.  The 0211DC are perfect and other than a driving range session to get used to the lighter weight shaft, I’m actually playing them better than ever. My favorite part is hitting it thin or on the toe and they still go straight and land about 10yds short instead of being all over the place. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sharkiesj said:

I’ll jump in and give my 2 pennies.  I had Ping 425s with PX LZ, Gen3 XPs with MMT80, and OG 0211’s with Steelfiber i95s all at the same time.  Hit them extensively on the range over many months.  I feel like I learn more about irons on the range in the dirt than actually playing a round of golf. Anyways….

I hated the 425’s.  Actually, they looked good, smelled good and gave me anti- flaccid feelings as far as consistent distances and forgiveness in all situations.  They just sounded and felt absolutely horrid.  Hard, brittle and I just could not get used to the sound. Even on flushed shots it sounded like the ball is splitting in half.  I don’t like soft, low-compression balls so I got rid of this set.  I did play 1 round with them with ProV1’s and I still didn’t like the sound . Hard for me to admit cuz I’m a Ping Ho.  

0311 Gen3 XP’s.  Very nice.  Excellent set. Very forgiving, feel is outstanding and yes they are a little big but that doesn’t bother me much at all.  Still expensive at $199/stick but better than +$375/stick as before. 

OG 0211’s.  “Cheap”. Relatively speaking it was the $95/stick promo that originally got me into PXG.  These clubs are amazing.  Feel is outstanding.  Forgiveness is just as good as the Gen3 XP’s and they’re a joy to look at at address.   More compact but not too small.  Cleaner looking than AP1’s but not as big.  PXG nailed the size, shape and look of these irons.  To me, they’re just as good as the 0311 XP if not slightly “better” for waaaaaaaaaayy less $$$ than the Gen3 0311 XP.  I ended up getting rid of the Gen3 0311 XPs and will def keep the 0211’s.  

Next up is I ordered some Sub70 699s.  The ride on the Merry-Go-Ho never stops!!!! 😆 

I've played the original 0211's for just over a year now and have cut my handicap just about in half. 

PXG is out at my club once or twice a week for fittings so I've gotten to hit everything from Gen 2 to Gen 4 and the new 0211.  For the life of me can't find anything I like better than my clubs.  Price isn't even a factor, the '19 0221's just feel and perform better than every other PXG irons I've tried, and I hit them all extensively off grass.  I will say that if I was a good enough ball striker I'd play the new 0211 ST's, they are amazing. 

The OG 0211's give me the forgiveness I need with the slightly longer blade length, but look great at address with the shaved top line.  

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, johnt14 said:

I've played the original 0211's for just over a year now and have cut my handicap just about in half. 

PXG is out at my club once or twice a week for fittings so I've gotten to hit everything from Gen 2 to Gen 4 and the new 0211.  For the life of me can't find anything I like better than my clubs.  Price isn't even a factor, the '19 0221's just feel and perform better than every other PXG irons I've tried, and I hit them all extensively off grass.  I will say that if I was a good enough ball striker I'd play the new 0211 ST's, they are amazing. 

The OG 0211's give me the forgiveness I need with the slightly longer blade length, but look great at address with the shaved top line.  

100% agree with you. I am in my second set of the OG 0211’s. Short stint with Gen3 T’s. My fitter pushed me to get in the new 0211’s and just did not beat out my set by much at all. Gen4 P’s are on another level in performance for me, but the 0211’s still felt better. 

Have a PXG demo day at my course and will try all the stuff again next Friday. 

PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Bridgestone BX

• 3 months later...

The original 0211's from 2019 are best PXG irons ever made.  I have played GEN2 XP's and the GEN2 P's and the shape......weight....sound and soft feel of the original 2019 0211's just can't be beat.  They also are incredibly forgiving.   I have not played the Gen3's but have not heard great things.  I am not going to get the newer 0211's because they loft jacked them badly to where the 7 iron is 28 degrees which is absurd.  The original 0211 7 iron is 31 degrees and it is perfect flight wise.  Can't say enough good things about the 2019 0211's.