$8000 or Less Garage Simulator

Hey guys, the wife gave me the thumbs up to build a simulator in my shop if she gets a hot tub. I just don't really see the downside in this? Its a 30' x 50' shop with very high ceilings. I dont want to go too wide and lose parking space for my trucks so Im thinking I can give up a 12'x20' space for this project. 

I am interested in this setup with skytrak but thought i would get some votes. Is this company reputable? Is this a good setup? Would i be best hanging projector from net or a ground projector?  

https://topshelfgolf.com/products/skytrak-simulator-series-golf-simulator-package?currency=USD&variant=31288350998626&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1603514382+62417620002&utm_term=&utm_content=305190668845&network=g&device=c&matchtype=&adposition=&gclid=CjwKCAjwqIiFBhAHEiwANg9szmuhdcD5Urf1biHIV72Z7u4pubOEJ7qxbZp05UzJ85EQewfIr8u6uBoCS54QAvD_BwE

I will get most of the upgrades. What do you think of the link? 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, it's not true. If you're talking about indoor simulation, you wouldn't really want the Mevo+ for several reasons. If you're looking for something you can also take outside or on the course then su

I have SkyTrak, Optoma 1080hdr, TGC original full download, and a like-new gaming PC from amazon and I love my setup. Couldn’t be happier. Simulation is great. I DIY’d my own screen/enclosure with thi

I have the skytrak running on TV from laptop at the moment and loving the skytrak. Very little lag on my non-gaming laptop and rarely misses a shot. Yes I use a GCQuad and GC2 at Golftec every week an

Posted Images

No, it's not true. If you're talking about indoor simulation, you wouldn't really want the Mevo+ for several reasons. If you're looking for something you can also take outside or on the course then sure... but if it's staying indoors then the SkyTrak is the correct choice at the price point. 

Regarding the package you linked, it's not great price wise. The SkyTrak is $2000, so you're spending over 3k to get a Net Return Screen + Mat at the most basic level (with limited projector choices on top of that, PS you want a ceiling mount). That's what a Net Return costs, so its not like the website is overcharging. It's just that a lot of those premade packages aren't really an effective value. A top of the line DYI of those parts would cost half that, maybe less, and is much more flexible. For example I built myself a 9x12x5 EMT frame and the parts to do so was under $200. Then you'd have your choice of screens/mats/projectors, and there are lots of resources available to steer you in the right direction for those. If your budget is actually $8,000 it wouldn't be just about saving money (though that's great), but also to allow you to step up to a better class of launch monitor if you wanted to. Something like the GC2 can easily be worked in to a DYI setup at that pricepoint.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 9.5*

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3W

Ping G410 2H

Cobra Forged Tec 4-6 iron, ONE length

Ping G400 7-UW

Cleveland CBX 54/58

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5

19 minutes ago, Celeras said:

No, it's not true. If you're talking about indoor simulation, you wouldn't really want the Mevo+ for several reasons. If you're looking for something you can also take outside or on the course then sure... but if it's staying indoors then the SkyTrak is the correct choice at the price point. 

Regarding the package you linked, it's not great price wise. The SkyTrak is $2000, so you're spending over 3k to get a Net Return Screen + Mat at the most basic level (with limited projector choices on top of that, PS you want a ceiling mount). That's what a Net Return costs, so its not like the website is overcharging. It's just that a lot of those premade packages aren't really an effective value. A top of the line DYI of those parts would cost half that, maybe less, and is much more flexible. For example I built myself a 9x12x5 EMT frame and the parts to do so was under $200. Then you'd have your choice of screens/mats/projectors, and there are lots of resources available to steer you in the right direction for those. If your budget is actually $8,000 it wouldn't be just about saving money (though that's great), but also to allow you to step up to a better class of launch monitor if you wanted to. Something like the GC2 can easily be worked in to a DYI setup at that pricepoint.

Only issue with this is I can't do ceiling mount in my shop I don't believe. Its a big rv shop that I crudely insulated and added heat. High ceilings. So I was thinking screen mount or floor mount 

2 minutes ago, Navistar said:

Only issue with this is I can't do ceiling mount in my shop I don't believe. Its a big rv shop that I crudely insulated and added heat. High ceilings. So I was thinking screen mount or floor mount 

Gotcha. Screen mount would depend 100% on the projector you purchased and you couldn't just pick something randomly. You'd have to know what you were getting ahead of time, figure out how far from the screen it needs to be to project the proper image size, and make sure your frame extends out where it needs to be. Ideally you'd want a short throw projector and the proper distance so you dont have to degrade the picture by using keystone adjustments.

Same with ground mount, with the added caveat that it would have to be in front of wherever your hitting area is (otherwise you would cast a shadow of yourself on the screen, which will happen anyway every time you retrieve balls if you leave it on the floor) and protected somehow from worm burners. It can work fine I just think it's the least desirable option.

Ping G400 Max 9.5*

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 7-UW

Cleveland CBX 54/58

I went through a website called allsportsystems for a similar budget - bought their frame, netting (including side netting for when the kids use it) and projector mount, along with skytrak and tgc19. Got the laptop on Black Friday and got an old projector from work, and bought a truestrike mat from intheholegolf.com. No sales tax was a big plus for the mat and frame. Home Depot cut all the poles to length for me, so it was pretty easy and around $7k all in. I put the frame on top of some gym mats (the interlocking type) on top of $100 of turf carpeting from Home Depot. Photo gives a sense - sorry it is sideways, couldn’t get it the right way up!13646BE0-CE5B-4CA3-85F0-B320DC319F4A.jpeg.256c6df2bf5dc26b393534259111b332.jpeg

55 minutes ago, doctorgriffo said:

I went through a website called allsportsystems for a similar budget - bought their frame, netting (including side netting for when the kids use it) and projector mount, along with skytrak and tgc19. Got the laptop on Black Friday and got an old projector from work, and bought a truestrike mat from intheholegolf.com. No sales tax was a big plus for the mat and frame. Home Depot cut all the poles to length for me, so it was pretty easy and around $7k all in. I put the frame on top of some gym mats (the interlocking type) on top of $100 of turf carpeting from Home Depot. Photo gives a sense - sorry it is sideways, couldn’t get it the right way up!13646BE0-CE5B-4CA3-85F0-B320DC319F4A.jpeg.256c6df2bf5dc26b393534259111b332.jpeg

Do you feel you went cheap on the skytrak or are you enjoying it?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Navistar said:

Hmm I will have to put some serious research in. 🤔 all the gc2 I see are 6500 plus software fees. Not sure if I can build that for 8k 

$4000-4500 on the used market and $5400 CPO from Foresight. I wouldn't recommend paying for their software but that's your decision.

1 hour ago, Navistar said:

Will a new hp with i7 processor not run a skytrac? What about gc2?

SkyTrak app will run on almost anything. It's just a range and some mini games, and it has Android/iOS versions as well. It's the actual simulation software that needs the better hardware. TGC2019 for example needs decent gaming specs, whereas something like GS Pro has worse graphics and requires less.

The Foresight stuff has similar requirements depending what you're using. Range is easy, simulation (which is an option unlike the SkyTrak software) needs a little more.

1 hour ago, Navistar said:

I had a SkyTrak and eventually upgraded to the GC2, but that was mainly because during COVID the price of a used SkyTrak skyrocketed. It's $2000 new and I sold mine for $3500 used on eBay during the shortage and basically upgraded for almost free.

SkyTrak isn't cheap but it has its quirks that are worth mentioning. Longer delay between the swing and when the shot appears on the screen is the main one.. it's like 2-3 seconds. And GC2 is more reliable with the short game, sometimes SkyTrak misses those super delicate shots that happen alot around the greens if you play simulation. Aside from that, it's perfectly capable of playing with the big boys. GC2 is better but it's a great product at a great price.

Edited by Celeras

Ping G400 Max 9.5*

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 7-UW

Cleveland CBX 54/58

I just did something similar. But my garage is a standard 2 car garage, I need both sides for parking so mine is easily to move. Went net return pro with mat. More expensive, but doing a screen wasn’t practical. My orientation is hitting toward the garage door, I have the 16 feet for Mevo  +, but hear that metal will interfere, so selected the Skytrak (longer wait though), for me Mevo would have been a few weeks, Skytrak was 8 weeks. Mevo comes with some courses, Skytrak requires upgraded plans to get courses. I had a gaming laptop with i7 and gtx 1660 and plenty of ram. I put a tv on a stand, think a modern office conference room stand that’s highly mobile. Works for me, Skytrak has a 2 second or so delay, hit the ball look at the TV, see the flight. 
Last point is TGC 2019 vs e6 connect. I went with lifetime TGC 2019 - thousands of courses. 

Well, a 10x10 screen is neither a 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio... so you could not get that projector to throw that exact size. No matter what you do you'd have dead space on the screen.

Throwing at 4:3 closest you could get is 10x7.5, and for that the projector would need to be 6 feet 8 inches away from the screen. Use the calculator on projector central to figure out what suits your needs: https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-GT1080HDR-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Ping G400 Max 9.5*

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 7-UW

Cleveland CBX 54/58

20 hours ago, Navistar said:

It was a great investment at the very start of lockdown, and it really helped to improve my game. The ball speed data is solid, and I ignore the club speed because it doesn’t measure it directly. The two annoying things are the delay and the lack of spin decay (anything with side spin gets exaggerated in terms of distance offline). TGC19 calculates spin decay, I think, so seems more realistic to me in terms of ball flight but doesn’t give peak height, which is a bit annoying.

ive put a deposit down for the full swing kit, which will be $4k at launch, because it will be easier indoors for left and right handers (Skytrak is a massive pain to switch around), will be useable at the range and measures path and face angle directly (the main thing I need it work on). I’ll see how the reviews for this play out before deciding whether to sell the Skytrak.

Posted (edited)

I have SkyTrak, Optoma 1080hdr, TGC original full download, and a like-new gaming PC from amazon and I love my setup. Couldn’t be happier. Simulation is great. I DIY’d my own screen/enclosure with thick canvas, mesh tarp, and PVC.

Other than my house, this is absolutely the best money I’ve ever spent. 

Edited by A.Princey
  • Like 1

TM 2016 M2 12* - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F(2*weak), 60.10S(4*weak)

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

I have the skytrak running on TV from laptop at the moment and loving the skytrak. Very little lag on my non-gaming laptop and rarely misses a shot. Yes I use a GCQuad and GC2 at Golftec every week and they never miss a shot but for a home simulator on a budget, this thing is great.  

• Like 1

My thoughts...

1.  Don't buy a pre-fabricated package.

2.  You can ceiling mount your projector.  If you don't have the skills, a regular handyman will.

3.  Head over to https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum where you can see lots of advice and custom built setups posters have done.

4.  I have a Skytrak running on a 5 year old i7 and it works just fine.  Although, I only hit on the "range" and I don't play golf sims.

• 3 weeks later...