Bandon Part Deux!

dvq9654

My brother and I just got back from our second, hopefully annual, Bandon trip. Amazing trip. Potentially slightly worse than our last trip due to various factors (see "Other Thoughts" below), but amazing nonetheless. Details below.

Arrival: We left Wednesday night from LA, landed in Eugene around 9:30pm and were on the road by 9:43pm (17 minutes ahead of schedule!). We headed west on 126 and then south to Bandon, arriving at Table Rock Motel around 12:15am. Table Rock is a great motel. We missed out on the amazing views / location given our arrival time, but for the money / service I'm a big fan

Itinerary:

Day 1: Bandon AM / Sheep Ranch PM

Day 2: Pacific AM / Bandon Trails PM / Preserve Later PM

Day 3: Pacific AM / Old Mac PM

Day 4: Sheep Ranch

Course Ranking: This is incredibly hard, and I can imagine anyone picking any of the courses as their favorite, but here is my ranking:

1) Pacific - Feels like the most composed golf course with the best holes from start to finish

2) Sheep Ranch - This was a tough one to place, as I feel like the par threes / holes along the cliff's edge are amazing, but also feel like Sheep Ranch almost feels like an executive course. That's a ridiculous statement given its length, but I felt like I had wedge into so many greens from the green tees. I'm not a short hitter, but I also don't hit WRX bombs yet I found myself again and again chipping into greens. That feeling was offset by the amazing views / endless infinity greens. I also found gauging the wind fun and learned my knock down game was much better than expected. 

3) Bandon Trails - The setting in the trees is unmatched and the round feels somewhat zen. I could easily put this as number 1, but hard to supplant the two above and the bad holes (e.g., 16) hold it back a bit

4) Bandon Dunes - I don't know why, but Bandon just doesn't get me jazzed like those above. When I think through every hole, I can't tell you why it's number 4 of 5, but for some reason it just doesn't generate that excitement. I do love 3, 4, 5, 12 and 16 though

5) Old Mac - I feel odd putting this here, as two of the most fun rounds we've had have been at Old Mac. One in a dark mist with zero wind last year and one in the howling wind this year. That said, the fun was driven by the fact we were alone and able to play around on what is a super challenging, sometimes frustrating course. That isn't a knock on the course; it's great for what it is. I just can't imagine picking it to play a serious round of golf with a foursome here vs. any of the other 4 courses. Honestly, if you made me put money on the line and play Old Mac, I think I'd end up jumping from the green on hole 7 (think that's right) cause too many good shots go punished and bad shots end up ok. That may be the goal, but that's not a sustainable method of golf, at least not for me. The list of best holes below is also illuminating. 

Best Holes: To each his own, but here are a number of my favorite holes (in no order, other than number 1). There are too many to pick, but these are the ones that stick out as I think back.

1. Pacific 4 - This is the best hole on the property, IMHO

2. Sheep Ranch 17 - Trees lining the left of the fairway are so unique - love it 

3. Sheep Ranch 6 - Best tee shot I've ever seen. Demanding second shot 

4. Sheep Ranch 7 - Amazing view and amazing green. Down wind tests your touch / judgement 

5. Sheep Ranch 1 - Great opening hole. I hit a horrible drive every day, but really enjoyed it regardless 

6. Bandon 16 - Can't figure out this hole, but it's an excellent hole nonetheless 

7. Trails 11 - Epitomizes Trails for me. Links-esque course set again beautiful evergreens  

8. Trails 14 - Ultimate risk reward. Green is a bit silly, but love going for it

9. Trails 3 - The first hole you really learn what trails has to offer

10. Pacific 10 - Excellent from the top tee

11. Pacific 11 - Doubt there are many 130 yard par 3s that strike more fear into one's heart

12. Pacific 3 / 12 - best par 5s on the property 

13. Bandon 4 - I suck at this hole, but the turn to the ocean is excellent

14. Bandon 12 - I'm running out of things to say. I like this hole a lot

Worst Holes: 

1) Bandon Trails 16 - Garbage hole. Slope doesn't reward anything off the tee (e.g., my drive literally was going backwards after it hit on the right side of the fairway) and then a long slog uphill and into the wind. 

That's it - just had to re-express my hate for that hole. 

Other Thoughts:

- I still have no idea how to play the 16th hole at Bandon Dunes - I hit a three wood with the wind at my back. It was a low bullet. Ended up on the 17th tee, which seems nearly impossible. I guess this isn't a bad place to be, but that's as intimidating a chip as I've had, so proceeded to short hand it, leave it on the edge of the green and three put for bogey. I've played this hole three different ways and the result is always the same. I guess that probably says more about me than the hole, but one of these days I hope I'll figure out a consistent, successful approach.  

Busyness / Bandon in 2020 - I don't think we realized how amazing our trip in May 2020 was. The resort was essentially empty, we had free range of the resort and we essentially golfed on our own. We also had excellent weather, which was generally sunny, and when it did get wet it was so calm it made up for the moisture. Don't think we'll ever experience it like that again. 

- Knockdown Shots - I am much better when I try to hit knock down shots. Can't say how many great shots I hit at Sheep Ranch / Pacific when trying to keep the ball low, including two at Sheep Ranch 16 which were within 5 and 15 feet each round (video of one attached). I guess I need to think about why these shots bring out my best and apply that broadly to me game

Dining Situation - We weren't allowed to make any reservations, so only ate on-site one night. McKee's was excellent (chicken pot pie FTW), but was also fun to try some of the local spots in Bandon. Highly recommend Bandon Brewing Company for some pizza / beer

- Pace of Play - Definitely left something to be desired, particularly in the mid-morning / afternoon rounds. I get there was a lot of wind, but a 4:40 hour round isn't necessary, ever. Spending 10 minutes on the green each hole with your caddy telling you where to putt for each of your three putts isn't golf. It's babysitting. Enjoy your experience, but let others enjoy it as well. 

IMG_3383.MOV

Edited by dvq9654
  • Like 4

So jealous, great TR.

I think one of the things that doesn't get talked about enough is how easy it is to go from landing to on the road at the Eugene airport. Of all the traveling I've done - for work or golf - it has to be Top 3. Its big enough that small jets can land there but small enough you walk right outside to the rental car and you are right on the road.

BTW dont feel bad, I had Old Mac #5 as well, its whats great about reading everyone's rankings - they are all different.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

5 hours ago, BG5 said:

Can you rank the conditions of the greens on each course?  Which course had best greens and which had worst?

Conditions were solid on all courses - hard to say one was better than the other from tee to green.

I'd say the greens at Pacific, Bandon and Trails were all pretty similar. Sheep Ranch were probably the worst, given they are a fescue and in process of over-seeding. That said, it's not like they run untrue; just slightly worse than the rest.  

5 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

I think one of the things that doesn't get talked about enough is how easy it is to go from landing to on the road at the Eugene airport. Of all the traveling I've done - for work or golf - it has to be Top 3. Its big enough that small jets can land there but small enough you walk right outside to the rental car and you are right on the road.

This is very true. We flew into Portland last year cause COVID made Eugene really tough, but flying into Eugene is far superior. Not only a much shorter drive, but so easy to get in and out of the airport. I haven't tried North Bend, but if you can get a direct flight to Eugene, I'd say it's hard to beat that. 

• Like 1

@dvq9654, Great trip report, completely agree with your assessment,  I still have no idea how to play the 16th hole at Bandon Dunes!!!!! 

I had the same exact thoughts during my first three trips, and even did the same thing trying a three-wood one time and ended up on 17 tee box!!!! On third trip as I was walking off the green I saw a ball bounce just in front and to the right of the pot bucker and roll on.  I waited for the guy after his round was over and asked what he hit and he told me three hybrid (super nice guy, turns out we had lived in the same town for a period of time). 

Anyway, I had never been much of a hybrid player, and usually went straight from fairway wood to driving iron, especially at Bandon.  The problem for me was the fairway wood was too long, and the driving iron had too flat of trajectory so I couldn't hold the short grass near the green.  Obviously wind dependent but, I've used a hybrid (21 degree) the last couple years which launches a little higher and can hold those areas.  Not sure I've completely cracked the code as I think there's a little luck involved but I've made two pars the last two trips.   

Curious as to what other people hit on 16.

Edited by jrg75

3 hours ago, jrg75 said:

@spud3, completely agree, love 16 but it has been a score wrecker in a few cases for me.  what line do you take with a 7 Iron? hard for me to imagine using that club.  Is that line way left or is that a play for the lower fairway.

Lower fairway.  

I was out there late once by myself and mis-hit a hybrid tee shot (was playing with a helping two-club wind) that was a screaming low pulled cutter and ended up rolling out to near the end of the lower right fairway.  I thought about it for a second and dropped another ball and did the same thing, this time intentionally, with a 7 and it ended up in the fat part of that lower fairway, with about 125 to the hole.  Once I got the target line, the only tricky part was gauging the effect of the wind once the ball got above that ridge.  But hitting a wedge or short iron has a lot more chance of holding the green, and there's a lot of room for error (short, anyway), which leaves a manageable long putt.

Playing into the wind, it's driver as hard as I can hit it.  With the wind, the options open up considerably, but the main thing is to be able to stop it once it's on that top level.  I've had tee shots just barely carry the ridge and still roll out near the tee on 17.  That green complex is way up in the breeze.

• Thanks 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

2 hours ago, mallrat said:

Your Old Mac ranking and description is funny to me, mainly because I describe it similarly. I think OM is the funnest course there. Not best, not anything, just fun. It’s still #4 in my rankings but every time I play it I walk off thinking “that was fun.” Not a lot of courses give you that feeling. 

+1

OM was my first round on my first trip to Bandon, and I played it solo.  As I walked of 18, the starter asked me what I thought.  I said "I've never had so much fun shooting 89."

• Like 1

Just now, birdhays said:

I played 7 full rounds plus preserve and lost 19 (scores ranged from 82-90). I think about half of those were on 16-18 in two rounds...lol. If you are a fairly reliable driver I could see you easily getting around with no more than a dozen for that many rounds. 

I meant to say Bandon above. The wind had battered my swing by that point and I missed way right off all of those tees.

I think your point about pace of play is spot on. I've noticed that in my more recent trips, pace of play has slowed significantly. I remember rangers out there in the early days making sure you were on pace of play. Not so much at the moment. If you can't play in under four hours, you should be asked to leave the course.

• Like 1

+1 on this. The quickest round I played on my recent trip was 4 hours in the afternoon at trails. Most were in the 4:20-430 range. It was windy every round but you should still be able to get around in 4 hours or less.

My group on the first day at Sheep Ranch was a hole and a half behind due to two of our guys with a doubled bagged caddy. They were always a mile apart on tee shots and one guy stood over every shot for a good 45 seconds. There was way too much grinding on reads as well. A Marshall notified us that we had an open hole in front of us and a marshall was following us on every hole. No one seemed to care. 

I really felt like the double bagging slowed things down. The second player was always waiting without a club for the caddy to get to his ball. I was playing out of turn to try to keep the pace moving. I get that caddies probably don’t want to tell their employer for the day to speed up but I thought there were ways the caddie could have encouraged a better pace.

2 hours ago, birdhays said:

+1 on this. The quickest round I played on my recent trip was 4 hours in the afternoon at trails. Most were in the 4:20-430 range. It was windy every round but you should still be able to get around in 4 hours or less.

My group on the first day at Sheep Ranch was a hole and a half behind due to two of our guys with a doubled bagged caddy. They were always a mile apart on tee shots and one guy stood over every shot for a good 45 seconds. There was way too much grinding on reads as well. A Marshall notified us that we had an open hole in front of us and a marshall was following us on every hole. No one seemed to care. 

I really felt like the double bagging slowed things down. The second player was always waiting without a club for the caddy to get to his ball. I was playing out of turn to try to keep the pace moving. I get that caddies probably don’t want to tell their employer for the day to speed up but I thought there were ways the caddie could have encouraged a better pace.

The other big issue is guys playing the wrong set of tees....to many guys try to play the greens when they should be playing the seniors.  They would enjoy it that much more

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

5 hours ago, BG5 said:

Did you lose alot of golf balls?  Trying to figure out how many to bring.  On average how many did you lose a round.

For me, Trails is the one where the balls can really get lost.  Most of the fairways are pretty wide, but if you get off by even a little bit, the underbrush will swallow your ball.

I usually take two dozen for a 5 day trip, and typically come home with most of them.  I do take a half dozen old beaters for days when the wind is crazy.  It never ceases to amaze me what a 30+ MPH wind can do to a ball flight

Bandon in general doesn't eat golf balls like a lot of courses.  First trip I took 2 dozen for 6 rounds and probably came back with 18+ golf balls. I now take a dozen or so plus whatever is in my bag and usually come back with close to the same number, maybe down 4-5 total including change outs.

I also went with a buddy who used the same ball the entire trip.  Granted, he only played 4 rounds (pre-sheep ranch) but it was still impressive.  He has the ball on his trophy rack at home.

Good to know about golf balls.....I am not a super long ball hitter.....considering playing the senior tees as it appears these courses can be tough in the wind.  Any reason why I should not play the seniors?  I am playing a ton of golf out there and the closer I am the easier it will be on my game right?  I usually hit my drives between 230-250 if I really smash one.  I also really love using my putters around the green and often times am not afraid to pull it out from 50 yards or more on courses that are firm and allow for it.  

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

We're in the same range, length-wise.  I play with a couple guys who hit it a good deal longer than I do, and I'm not getting any younger, so my new rule is I play the gold tees for any holes over 400 yards.  One thing to keep in mind is that the almost zero elevation combined with the (usually) cool-ish damp air means your ball won't fly as far as it does at home (though it will probably run out farther).  I generally club up a half club for most shots, as a rule.

As for putting from off the green, you will love that aspect of most of the courses there.  PD is the exception.  Not nearly as many opportunities to run one up from 60-80 yards out.  OM especially welcomes those who are willing/able to pull out the putter from anywhere inside 100 yards.  There are places where you'll have to fly over a bunker or other hazard, depending on where your approach shot lands.  And the lies are generally tight there, so don't neglect practicing your chips/pitches.  The practice area has a great section for short game work, including bunkers, which are filled with fine, heavy beach sand, not the fluffy white stuff.  One shot that is really useful to have in the bag is the 60-80 yard runner with an 8 iron.

Come to think of it, having a low running shot with almost every club is good to have in the bag.  You may want to consider a links lesson with Grant Rogers.  It's a great way to learn about the shots that are really helpful there.  And Grant is a really entertaining guy.

Having said all that, you can definitely over-think this.  Best to just play your game - you'll find the ways where links golf is different from parkland. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BG5 said:

Good to know about golf balls.....I am not a super long ball hitter.....considering playing the senior tees as it appears these courses can be tough in the wind.  Any reason why I should not play the seniors?  I am playing a ton of golf out there and the closer I am the easier it will be on my game right?  I usually hit my drives between 230-250 if I really smash one.  I also really love using my putters around the green and often times am not afraid to pull it out from 50 yards or more on courses that are firm and allow for it.  

If your average drive is 230 and up to 250 in Michigan, play the greens. The seniors are too short for someone with your length, seriously.  I mean if you want to hit a ton of wedges fair enough, but really I think you'd be doing your golfing experience and appreciation of the courses a disservice by playing the golds.

The wind giveth and taketh. You'll hit some (all?) of the longest drives of your life and some of the shortest. Even in benign conditions the roll you will get is unlike your rounds back home. And just because a hole says par 4, 5, whatever doesn't matter when the conditions dictate something else.

At least start on the greens and play your first round on each from there and judge for yourself whether the porridge is too hot, too cold, or just right. If you judge moving up is going to be more fun then go for it and you can come back here and tell me I don't know what I'm on about 🙂

All things being equal I consider myself a 230-250 hitter and if someone said the greens are closed today, I'd pick the blacks before the golds on every course except Trails. Not because I'm particular good or trying to prove a point, but because I'm not keen on wedgefests, ymmv of course.

• Like 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

1 hour ago, spud3 said:

Come to think of it, having a low running shot with almost every club is good to have in the bag.  You may want to consider a links lesson with Grant Rogers.  It's a great way to learn about the shots that are really helpful there.  And Grant is a really entertaining guy.

+1 on this, for sure!  My brother and I did a Links Lesson with Grant at the start of our trip a few years back.  He was great and for $50 each it was an incredible deal.  We booked an hour lesson and he spent much more than an hour with us on Shorty's, showing us a bunch of different shots.  Super guy, would definitely recommend him.

• Like 1