Currently using 58* as the highest loft but thinking of adding a 62* or 64* wedge. Would really like something that will get the ball high up and stop on tight green especially over a hazard. Not really comfortable with opening my 58* to get more loft.

There are two parts to this question.

Part 1: Which is more suitable for gapping? Currently play 46*, 52* and 58*.

Part 2: Should I even consider 62* or 64* wedge? I heard it is extremely hard to put into practice. But same thing was said about 3 iron or blades when I was thinking of using them, which I have no issues with currently.

Thanks.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got a 64°...........in the garage where it belongs.  

Exactly. I can hit the ball stupid high with my 60. No need for more loft. If you have the right grind you can turn it into an 80 degree wedge lol 

After aome testing, I am about to go with that exact same set-up for my home course (46, 52, 58, 64). It's a short tight course with small, firm, fast greens and I like the 64 degree for when I get sh

I carry a 62 degree and really love it. I use it for exactly what you’re describing. After PW I play a 51, 56, 62

Titleist TSi2 10 w/ Ventus Red 6x

SIM2 Ti 3 Wood @ 16.5 w/ LAGP Tour AXS Blue 70x

Titleist TSi2 7 Wood @ 20.25 w/ Tour AD DI 8x

PXG 0311x Gen2 3 Iron w/ Tour AD DI 85x  

New Level 4995HB 21 w/ Tour AD DI 85x 

Srixon ZX7 5-AW w/ KBS $ Taper 130x

Edel SMS 56, 60 w/ KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125s

SIK Flo & Pro w/ LAGP TPZ 135

4 hours ago, hypergolf said:

Currently using 58* as the highest loft but thinking of adding a 62* or 64* wedge. Would really like something that will get the ball high up and stop on tight green especially over a hazard. Not really comfortable with opening my 58* to get more loft.

Part 2: Should I even consider 62* or 64* wedge? I heard it is extremely hard to put into practice. But same thing was said about 3 iron or blades when I was thinking of using them, which I have no issues with currently.

Thanks.

I like my 64* very much because (unlike a 58* or 60*) it is clear and obvious when to play the 64*. My set is 48*, 52*, 56*, 64*.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

6 hours ago, hypergolf said:

Thanks.

My highest loft was a zipcore 58 with full sole so wasn't great for opening up to play lob shots. Put a 62 low in last week but haven't had much cause to use it as yet. Have played a couple of nice shots with it but it's just nice to have that option plus the variety in the bag.

I have been playing various Titleist 64(s) for 8+ years and love the way they stop for me. I play on very fast elevated greens and short siding yourself and being above the hole is a no no. However, I'm able to save par A LOT thanks to this club and knowing when/when not to use it. I go 50, 56/58, and 64. Not going to lie, a 62/64 requires practice time to perfect. If you'll commit to practicing, go for it and enjoy!  

If you like your gapping with 46, 52, 58 then adding a either a 62 or 64 can be nice to have when short sided. I used a 62 SM6 M bent to 63 for a bit, and it was unbelievable when shortsided in bunkers - like silly good. No offence to some of the above posters, but I really don't like the idea of going GW, 56, and then 64. Reason being is 99% of golfers should not be using that much loft for fairway approaches. What happens is you start to get the ball going up the face and distance control gets inconsistent. Most handicap golfers will actually spin a 56 or 58 more than a 60+. If you are using it for a specific purpose greenside and you have room in the bag, it can be very useful. May I suggest trying a Hi Toe or similar. The extra room height of the club lowers launch and adds spin. For a specific purpose, the Hi Toe is unbelievable. 

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* Ventus Black 6x

Callaway EFSZ @ 14* Ventus Black 7x

Callaway TC Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X (Gamer) | Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway X-Forged UT 24* Project X 6.5

Callaway Apex MB 5-PW Project X 6.5 | Srixon z945 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 

Vokey JDM Forged 50F & 56M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Vokey Tour Issue Raw TVD Prototype M 60* KBS Wedge 130x

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 | Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 | Byron Morgan DH89 34/70*/2*

Srixon Z Star XV 2021

Linksouldier 

I'd probably look at a 60 max, unless you can keep the gapping through the bag where you want it. I've been looking at ways to combine my hybrid and 3 iron but that would be to add a gap wedge, I feel like I do what I need with my 60 everywhere else. 

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist TSi3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 3-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 Raw 47-07 PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54* S PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 60* M PX 6.0
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol 1.0

Posted (edited)

To me, what you're describing is the difference between a 58o and a 60o. I'm fond of my 60o as it can do anything: 100-yd moon-ball, smooth 80-yd knock-down, 50-yd pitch, 30-yd punch, baby chip, casual flop, bunkers of all kinds, etc.

I even tried going down to a 58o in the same exact specs but I didn't like it. I felt it performed a little more like a SW and didn't have quite the lob / flop abilities that made the 60o so incredibly versatile around the greens. 

I can't in good faith recommend a 62o or 64o club. Those are often a different animal. However, it's possible you'd do better with a 60 or a different bounce/sole than what you've got. Try the super-lofts if you like but they seem excessive. You can't possible need that. 

If I were you I might just bend the 58 back to 60 for awhile and try it. See if there's a noticeable difference. At least with that you'll retain some bounce in the process. 

Edited by MelloYello

SIM Dr (10.5o) (Tensei Pro Orange 60TX)
SIM 3w (17o) (Tensei Pro White 60TX)

M6 7w (21o) (Diamana Blue 70S)

z785 (4-Pw) (Modus3 Tour120)
SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
Newport 2 Select

17 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

To me, what you're describing is the difference between a 58o and a 60o. I'm fond of my 60o as it can do anything: 100-yd moon-ball, smooth 80-yd knock-down, 50-yd pitch, 30-yd punch, baby chip, casual flop, bunkers of all kinds, etc.

I even tried going down to a 58o in the same exact specs but I didn't like it. I felt it performed a little more like a SW and didn't have quite the lob / flop abilities that made the 60o so incredibly versatile around the greens. 

I can't in good faith recommend a 62o or 64o club. Those are often a different animal. However, it's possible you'd do better with a 60 or a different bounce/sole than what you've got. Try the super-lofts if you like but they seem excessive. You can't possible need that. 

If I were you I might just bend the 58 back to 60 for awhile and try it. See if there's a noticeable difference. At least with that you'll retain some bounce in the process. 

Exactly. I can hit the ball stupid high with my 60. No need for more loft. If you have the right grind you can turn it into an 80 degree wedge lol 

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* Ventus Black 6x

Callaway EFSZ @ 14* Ventus Black 7x

Callaway TC Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X (Gamer) | Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway X-Forged UT 24* Project X 6.5

Callaway Apex MB 5-PW Project X 6.5 | Srixon z945 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 

Vokey JDM Forged 50F & 56M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Vokey Tour Issue Raw TVD Prototype M 60* KBS Wedge 130x

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 | Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 | Byron Morgan DH89 34/70*/2*

Srixon Z Star XV 2021

Linksouldier 

21 hours ago, hypergolf said:

Part 2: Should I even consider 62* or 64* wedge? I heard it is extremely hard to put into practice ...

Maybe 1 in 20 golfers can benefit from a LW with loft > 60*. You might borrow a 62* or so to see if you are among the chosen few.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

• 2 months later...

After aome testing, I am about to go with that exact same set-up for my home course (46, 52, 58, 64). It's a short tight course with small, firm, fast greens and I like the 64 degree for when I get short-sided (and which happens enough for it to be worth a club).

For more traditional courses, I plan on subbing out the 64 for a 7 wood or 3 hybrid.

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM Max 9 - Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70 S
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
Titleist 818 H2 21 at C4 (22) - MRC Tensei AV White 90 S
Ping i20 4i-PW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 2.0  58 ES - AWT 2.0  S - Black Dot
Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"

On 5/17/2021 at 10:40 PM, hypergolf said:

Thanks.

64* because unlike a 58* or 60*, it is obvious when to use the 64*.  The 64* does one thing, which is produce shots that stop where the ball lands.

It's a a very useful loft for playing 30 to 70 yard shots.

For your bag I would go 46*, 52*, 56* and 64*

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I play a 50, 56, 62 set up. I use the 62 primarily inside 50 yards, and can stretch it to 90 if needed. I dont find the 62 difficult to use at all, but I did use a 60 for years.  

I spent some time this week with a 64, practicing and playing. The 64 to me is a different animal, requiring perfect technique. Its fun when your game is on, but it quickly exposes small issues in your game when you are off. My opinion would be to go slow, try a 62 first, and if it isn't enough loft for you, then try a 64. 

I played similar gaps as you before.  48/53/58.  I recently threw in a 62 for a recent tournament.  I like to lay back in the 100-130 range of the green.  This course made me choose between laying further back or play inside of my comfort range.   The 62 came in very handy as a reliable 60 and 85 yard club, and it was clutch around the smallish hard elevated greens.  I don't see it leaving the bag now.  Worst case you will have an option to throw into the bag when playing a course where it will see lots of use.

You didn't plan to fail,
you failed to plan!

M3 460/9.5*/HZRDUS 75 6.0
'17 M2 Tour/16.5*/'ilima 70s
'17 M1 /19*/'ilima 70s
'10 MP Fli Hi 3-4/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4
MP4 5-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Taylormade Milled Grind 52*/KBS Tour 120 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 58*/ KBS Tour 120 s
Cameron Oil Can Newport 2
Srixon XV

I played a 62 for years and loved it (after some experimentation with a 64 that didn't go so well).

The caveat here is anything over 60 (58 really) is just not meant to be hit full, and I think that's where most people get turned off without even truly realizing why.  They are great for little pitches and chips and some approach shots but if you're aping a super lob, you're just doing it wrong.  The distance control is very unreliable at that loft.  You'll try to give it a little extra and it just won't go any farther, only higher.

Additionally, something to keep in mind is once you get that lofted the gapping is going to be a little funky.  Instinctively, you're going to want the 64 to keep your spreads at 6, but in the real world that could actually end up creating too big of a gap behind the 58.

Taylormade R11 TP 8° - Fujikura Blur TP 65X

Cobra Speedzone Big Tour 13.5° - Fujikura ATMOS Black 7X

Cobra Speedzone Tour 17.5° - Fujikura ATMOS Black 7X

Taylormade Rescue 11 TP 16° - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist 620 CB (3-6) - True Temper DynaGold X100

Titleist 620 MB (7-9) - True Temper DynaGold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48F, 54D, 60D) - True Temper DynaGold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

Oh no... I tired a 64 was useless

I run 52 and 60 works great

drop the 58 for a 60

Now for a Thread jack.... we are now talkin why in the hell you aren't comfortable opening up your 58!  Practice that ish stat!!!  It's so important unless you're fine shooting in the 90s...  It's not hard at all cause you aint gotta open it to a full lob.... which aint hard either.... just open it the smallest amount you can and don't lean forward and that ball will pop right up.... such a useful technique when you need to take a little speed off or your just out of range of the green with a chip

I try and like my own posts but can't figure out how...

On 5/18/2021 at 12:40 AM, hypergolf said:

Not really comfortable with opening my 58* to get more loft.

How much more loft do you need? If you get the ball up, a steep descent angle will help stop the ball (works with spin).

A side story, bear with me on this... About 12 years ago, one of the most popular wedge models was the Cleveland CG14. The early ones had the old-style grooves that can't be used after 2024! So, along with the 50, 54 and 58 I played, I was able to collect for about $50 each one wedge for all the loft options CG14 had. I have the 64* that I have hit on occasion. While it's a fun club to hit, I don't see much it could do for me that my 58* can't do. For longer than 30 yards, the 64* was tough to control.

If you're having loft launch problems with a 58*, are you playing a ball that has a urethane or soft ionomer cover? Balls with these covers grab better on the wedge face and improve launch.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.