Home golf club workshop ideas

I’m a few months away from re-locating and intend to set-up a small home club tinkering shop when we land.  I’ve followed this forum for years, have set aside money for decent equipment for re-shafting and re-gripping, and have sufficient old clubs, extra adapters, etc upon which to practice.  A loft/lie machine is a likely addition down the road but won’t be in the initial set-up unless I get very lucky on Craigslist, etc.

I would very much appreciate insight on shop set-up (with photos if possible) from those with experience.  Not so much on specific tools but rather  shop location, shop size, bench size, lighting, permanent mount tools vs mobile/moveable, etc.

I’ve read this piece by Ryan Barath and it was useful:  https://www.golfwrx.com/399094/building-golf-clubs-at-home-the-essential-tips-tricks-and-tools/

However, I suffer a bit from paralysis by analysis when it come to workflow, layout, and space allocation big enough to be efficient but not so big space is wasted...

An example of the kind of thing that would be incredibly useful would be this lesson learned from a previous woodworking set-up.  I built the “Mini Bench” pictured below almost exactly to spec from a set of plans in Fine Woodworking magazine.  It was intended primarily to aid in precision joinery and some inlay work by bringing things closer to eye height (and concurrently prevent a sore back from bending over...).  In practice, I used it for far more things than I envisioned and were I to do it over (or when I decide to ‘upgrade’) I’d make it about two inches shorter in height,  a couple inches shorter in length, a couple inches wider, and include a small shelf/tool tray as a stretcher between the legs.

Back to golf workshop space/bench/layout/location, the benefit of your experience along the following lines would be awesome:  “I started with ABC, like/dislike it, and next time would consider XYZ.”

Thanks in advance.

1E4B9ECC-1666-442A-9D9B-44686270F7EB.jpeg.23a5eb6da154ece3db2c5b387eb09b26.jpeg

D00B3DBE-2325-42D1-811B-472D18D5366E.jpeg.18b5477d846daadcaf63348f76c33f94.jpeg

917D2 9.5 w/S+

TS2 16.5 and 21 w/AD-DI

ZX-U 3i w/NS 950GH -or- 818 H1 23 deg w/AD-DI

ZX5 5i - 6i and ZX7 7i - PW w/Modus 105

SM7 50-12, SM7 54S, and SM6 58-12K @ 59

Ping MnBn MyDay

Posted (edited)

As mentioned, here is an older pic when the garage was clean. Aside from the added dirt and dust, she looks very similar. I like to tinker and this setup has def held its own. 

There are other posts, but think these are the basics needed:

1) bench.. 

2) compressor and bonus if you have the little air gun similar to the Pure gun

3) air cutter

4) swing weight 

5) various tools, ie ruler, manual pipe cutter, hook knives, grip remover (for the glued on grips), blue painters tape

6) mineral spirit (UNSCENTED), acetone from clean up, epoxy 

7) shaft puller.. the pneumatic one.. 

That should get you started. Everything else (ferrules, swing weight tips, grips) you will acquire over time.  As you can see, my compressor came from harbor freight.. which is where I got most of my tools. Aside from that, the most expensive items were the puller and swingweight scale. 

Its not the greatest, but I've worked on .. maybe 200+ clubs for various reasons

No need for a space heater as I dont tinker much then. But it would work if needed. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

20130803_100855_zps5ef8f0f8.jpg

Edited by Russ757
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Russ757 said:

Here's an old pic.. Way back when the garage was clean.. I'll update when I'm not driving 

20130803_100855_zps5ef8f0f8.jpg

Thanks.  I spent many years in the 757 and am likely to settle in a similar or cooler climate.  Do you do your glue-ups inside; avoid winter work; add a space heater..?

917D2 9.5 w/S+

TS2 16.5 and 21 w/AD-DI

Ping MnBn MyDay

I have three different work areas i.e. benches to do separate work. Benches 1 and 2 are 6' each and sturdy and are next to each other and the third is on the opposite wall in sort of a triangle configuration.

Bench 1 has a gripping station on one end, vice and shaft remover on the other end and an open work area in the middle that I do the gluing and assembly. 

Bench 2 has the belt sander, ferrule turner, chop saw and grinder/buffer.

Bench 3 has the shaft ruler and SW scales. 

The loft /lie is mounted on a stand and can be moved.

I have a peg board to hold the hand tools, extra belts, grip tape etc. above benches 1 and 2 and shelving with bins to hold the grips, epoxy, ferrule and weight kits, buffing wheels etc. Also have magnet strips and shaft holders attached to the side of the benches. I also made shaft holders out of 4" pvc 32" high with a cap on the bottom to keep shafts in. 

Lighting is just regular iridescent on the ceiling and with one spotlight mounted on the peg board when needed. Sorry no pics.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DArnie said:

I have three different work areas i.e. benches to do separate work...

Bench 2 has the belt sander, ferrule turner, chop saw and grinder/buffer.

The loft /lie is mounted on a stand and can be moved.

Thanks.

WRT bench 2, do you have separate tools or one of the combo machines from Golfworks/GolfMechanix?  In other hobbies I’ve had combo equipment that was useful and other instances that I’ve concluded if space was available and cost not an issue, I’d prefer stand alone...

Is the loft/lie bolted to plywood or such and clamped to sturdier bench when used or do you have a post set-up mounted to a rolling cart?

Edited by Aviador Naval

917D2 9.5 w/S+

TS2 16.5 and 21 w/AD-DI

Ping MnBn MyDay

Posted (edited)

This is my setup 

The bench was there when I moved in. I mounted the loft and lie machine on a stand up by the garage door(in front of the ladder) so I can use it when the truck is parked inside. 

Most of my tools and components are in the cabinets, like my shaft puller and club clamps that go in the vise. 

Have 6 old staff bags I use for shafts and extra clubs. 

580A02AF-EECC-44C3-B0C3-696BC562D413.jpeg

B101FF71-B1E0-4AEB-BD46-D6E6B881E099.jpeg

83053235-D7E1-47EF-B057-E889282DCD57.jpeg

Edited by lvgolfer962
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It depends a bit on the work you are doing. I pretty much only do re-grips and shaft pulls. I need next to nothing. I basically have one drawer of gear in a bench that is otherwise used for woodworking. 

My shaft puller doubles as club vice. Other than that I have a heat gun, and supplies (shaft tape, spirits, beads, epoxy etc.)

Not specific club building I already have saws, sanders, grinders etc etc etc etc etc.

The one thing I think every workshop needs and is often forgotten is a good sink with running water. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, lvgolfer962 said:

This is my setup.  The bench was there when I moved in...

Most of my tools and components are in the cabinets, like my shaft puller and club clamps that go in the vise.

Thanks - looks great.  Do you have a rack or such for holding clubs while epoxy sets or simply lean them against your cabinets?

917D2 9.5 w/S+

TS2 16.5 and 21 w/AD-DI

Ping MnBn MyDay

35 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

It depends a bit on the work you are doing. I pretty much only do re-grips and shaft pulls. I need next to nothing. I basically have one drawer of gear in a bench that is otherwise used for woodworking. 

My shaft puller doubles as club vice. Other than that I have a heat gun, and supplies (shaft tape, spirits, beads, epoxy etc.)

Not specific club building I already have saws, sanders, grinders etc etc etc etc etc.

The one thing I think every workshop needs and is often forgotten is a good sink with running water. 

Thanks.  I'll be primarily re-shaft and re-grip in the beginning as well and will just go all in on up front purchase for the golf specific equipment.  I have some woodworking/general shop stuff that can do double duty as well.  I suspect I'll eventually want a loft/lie machine but that can wait until a good deal comes along.

Concur with you on the sink if at all possible.

917D2 9.5 w/S+

TS2 16.5 and 21 w/AD-DI

Ping MnBn MyDay

4 hours ago, Aviador Naval said:

Thanks.

WRT bench 2, do you have separate tools or one of the combo machines from Golfworks/GolfMechanix?  In other hobbies I’ve had combo equipment that was useful and other instances that I’ve concluded if space was available and cost not an issue, I’d prefer stand alone...

Is the loft/lie bolted to plywood or such and clamped to sturdier bench when used or do you have a post set-up mounted to a rolling cart?

My belt sander and chop saw are separate. The one unit would probably save some space, if needed. The loft and lie machine stand is this:

https://www.golfworks.com/golf-mechanix-portable-heavy-duty-bending-stand/p/gm1045/

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, DArnie said:

My belt sander and chop saw are separate. The one unit would probably save some space, if needed. The loft and lie machine stand is this:

https://www.golfworks.com/golf-mechanix-portable-heavy-duty-bending-stand/p/gm1045/

Thanks.  Seems that most folks have separate machines for each task.  Not sure whether that is for convenience or whether most folks had one or the other before they began tinkering with clubs.

• Like 1

917D2 9.5 w/S+

TS2 16.5 and 21 w/AD-DI

Ping MnBn MyDay

21 minutes ago, Manz60 said:

hi, consider a workbench 3-4 inches higher than normal, much easier on the back, a shop that has a clean side and dirty side and a bench width that can allow a set of fully built iron heads to hang off the edge.

hope this helps

M60

Thanks.  Was considering the higher bench idea and if I end up with a golf specific area will definitely go there.  I built two "bench on bench" set-ups for handwork in woodworking that ease the back strain.  Can't imagine not having them now.

Can you expand a bit on the wider bench?  Have found with woodworking there is no such thing as 'too long' but 'too wide' can be an issue.  What operations would benefit from that set-up?

917D2 9.5 w/S+

TS2 16.5 and 21 w/AD-DI

Ping MnBn MyDay

A wider bench just makes prep/assembly that much easier, especially if you have other projects ongoing. Wish my bench was the sme width of the shelves my power tools are on. I picked up a inexpensive chop saw and sander from Harbor Freight that are invaluable. I mounted a standard vice on one corner; I had the bench before I got into golf club repair/assembly. As a woodworker you understand the importance of good light and having tools, supplies reachable.  Have fun!

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ping G400 w/Ping Alta S
Ping G410 5 Wood set to 16* w/Ping Alta S

Ping G410 5-W, Steelfiber i95R  

Ping Glide 3.0 SS 50* & 54* w/Steelfiber i95R
Ping Glide 3.0 TS 58* w/AWT 2.0 S
Odyssey O-Works 330M Black 

I didn't have much say in the design of my set up...Workbench came from a neighbor moving and his realtor calling me on closing date to get it out of the garage and living in a townhouse where a midsize sedan barely fits in the garage but anyway... 

Bench is 42 inches tall, 72 inches wide and 24 inches deep. I'm 5'8" and it's pretty comfortable height wise and you can reach everything if you are standing in the middle. Lots of drawer space. I also have a small rolling seat with drawers for the ferrule kit, swing weight kit, and weight scale inside. I scored an old display rack that fits right under the bench for more shelf space. 

On the bench I have the vise with shaft clamp on the corner, loft and lie machine at an angle, swing weight scale and shaft cutter belt sander machine loose. I know it should be bolted down but it really doesn't move. Putter loft and lie is just off to the side. And I have two shaft racks to hold things up. 

Here are some pics... 

20210524_210656.jpg

20210524_210752.jpg

20210524_210624.jpg

20210524_210758.jpg

20210524_210803.jpg

20210524_211009.jpg

• Thanks 1

WITB Currently
Titleist TSi3 9*

TM SIM Max2 3HL
TM SIM Max2 7
Irons - Srixon Z Forged 4-PW

Titleist Vokey - 50*, 56*, 60*
Scotty Cameron Santa Fe

Mizuno K1-L0

On 5/22/2021 at 4:30 PM, Aviador Naval said:

Thanks.  Was considering the higher bench idea and if I end up with a golf specific area will definitely go there.  I built two "bench on bench" set-ups for handwork in woodworking that ease the back strain.  Can't imagine not having them now.

Can you expand a bit on the wider bench?  Have found with woodworking there is no such thing as 'too long' but 'too wide' can be an issue.  What operations would benefit from that set-up?

a wider bench that allows the heads of an iron set to hang off the tables edge (ie tight against the tables edge) ,  can allow you to quickly visually check if the club length increment at the other end has been built correctly, and not slightly off due to a shaft cutting error of some kind or a poorly installed grip.

hope this helps

M60

• Thanks 1

Thanks to @Birddog2 and @DYOS4 for the great stuff above.

Interesting mix in all the replies thus far wrt 'semi-permanent' bench fixtures vs stuff that is intended to be pulled out to use but then put away to clear bench space.

Suppose the prime drive in each person's decision is the space they have available or are willing to devote to the hobby followed closely by how sure one is in the set-up/flow they've established.

In my woodworking shop, everything but one very heavy combination piece was on a mobile base or semi-permanently clamped to a primary bench.  However, in practice, I had sufficient space to move around and conduct each operation and thus never really moved anything...

• Like 1

917D2 9.5 w/S+

TS2 16.5 and 21 w/AD-DI

Ping MnBn MyDay

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 7:42 PM, DArnie said:

@DArnie - how has the loft/lie stand been for you?  Any regrets in using a stand vs mounting your loft/lie machine to the floor or a workbench?  

DRIVER - PING G425 SFT @ 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G425 SFT 16* @14.5* and 19* @17.5*

HYBRIDS - PXG 0317 X GEN2 19*/22*

IRONS - T200 [6i-GW]

WEDGES - CLEVELAND RTX ZIPCORE 52.10 / 56.10 / 60.10

PUTTER - 2018 SCOTTY CAMERON SELECT FASTBACK

PXG 0317 X

@DArnie - thanks for the feedback and good to know.  I would prefer not to have to mount it to the floor or bench, but wanted to know if you had experienced any difficulties when attempting to bend irons without being physically bolted.      

DRIVER - PING G425 SFT @ 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G425 SFT 16* @14.5* and 19* @17.5*

HYBRIDS - PXG 0317 X GEN2 19*/22*

IRONS - T200 [6i-GW]

WEDGES - CLEVELAND RTX ZIPCORE 52.10 / 56.10 / 60.10

PUTTER - 2018 SCOTTY CAMERON SELECT FASTBACK

PXG 0317 X

If you look closely, the stand actually has a place to stand on so your own weight keeps it steady. Not quite as good as mounted but definitely can bend what you need to. On harder  steel like old Pings, I've had to have my son stand on it with me to get enough leverage. But that is the odd case out. 

Two tools that have proven money well spent:

Golfworks Quick Clamp (expensive, but what a time saver):

https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-quick-shaft-clamp/p/gw0051/

6" Chop saw:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N8FK6TC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

🇺🇸

Ping G410 Plus driver
Cobra F6 Baffler
Callaway XR hybrids

Titleist 716 AP1 irons

Callaway Mack Daddy CB wedges
Odyssey Two-Ball Ten Tour Lined putter

Penalty Box: PXG OG 0211 irons, Ping Sigma 2 Craz-E putter

On 5/23/2021 at 4:14 PM, Birddog2 said:

A wider bench just makes prep/assembly that much easier, especially if you have other projects ongoing. Wish my bench was the sme width of the shelves my power tools are on. I picked up a inexpensive chop saw and sander from Harbor Freight that are invaluable. I mounted a standard vice on one corner; I had the bench before I got into golf club repair/assembly. As a woodworker you understand the importance of good light and having tools, supplies reachable.  Have fun!

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

Nice setup.  How is the belt sander working out?  I believe its a 30."  I keep reading that you need a 42" belt sander for turning ferrules.  But those are in real short supply and expensive.

🇺🇸

Ping G410 Plus driver
Cobra F6 Baffler
Callaway XR hybrids

Titleist 716 AP1 irons

3 hours ago, dekez said:

Nice setup.  How is the belt sander working out?  I believe its a 30."  I keep reading that you need a 42" belt sander for turning ferrules.  But those are in real short supply and expensive.

A 30" sander works fine. What I believe is important is the RPM of the belt. Usually the 42" sanders have a RPM of aournd 1700 rpm versus the 30" sander at 3400 rpm. Faster rpm chews more material more quickly and you really have to pay attention and apply light pressure to not mess a ferrule up.

• Like 2

WITB:

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5*, NS Setting, Accra TZ6 55 M4 @ 45.5"

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 15*, NS Setting, Accra TZ6 65 M4 @ 43"

Hybrid: Callaway Epic Flash 4h 21* @ 20*, N-1 Setting, Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S @ 38.75"

Irons: Srixon ZX5 5,6 irons; ZX7 7-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 S; 36.5" 7 iron length

Wedges: Mizuno T20 50.07, 54.12, 58.08; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback @ 32.5"; Superstroke Flatso 3.0

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4 STD

Dekez,

The belt sander works great and does everything I need it to do. The belt is interchangeable and I do have a linen belt for ferrules. Turning ferrules correctly takes some time and I can see where a club attachment comes in handy for turning the club more evenly but it works fine with some practice. I have learned to buy the ferrules as close to hosel outside diameter as possible and work them down with acetone. If I turned more ferrules I would go with one of the Golfwork's with the bracket as below. 

gw1120.jpg.51917134ad5e85c1716725a95025915a.jpg

• Like 1

Ping G400 w/Ping Alta S

1 hour ago, Birddog2 said:

Dekez,

The belt sander works great and does everything I need it to do. The belt is interchangeable and I do have a linen belt for ferrules. Turning ferrules correctly takes some time and I can see where a club attachment comes in handy for turning the club more evenly but it works fine with some practice. I have learned to buy the ferrules as close to hosel outside diameter as possible and work them down with acetone. If I turned more ferrules I would go with one of the Golfwork's with the bracket as below. 

gw1120.jpg.51917134ad5e85c1716725a95025915a.jpg

Which belt sander is this?

🇺🇸

Ping G410 Plus driver
Cobra F6 Baffler
Callaway XR hybrids

Titleist 716 AP1 irons

I'm going to comment on floor plan. Through the years, I have seen the clubsmithing area in several small non-chain golf shops and garage do-it-yourself set-ups.

Some had too small an actual work area. The person working on clubs barely had space to turn around.

Also there's the problem of clutter. Too much non-golf stuff ended up in the workspace, and got in the way. You don't want to have to move grass seed bags and garden tools for five minutes before you can start work. Plus all this stuff can create dust... you don't want dust and impurities getting into your epoxy mix.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

1 hour ago, dekez said:

Which belt sander is this?

Nice one from Golfworks:  https://www.golfworks.com/assembly-tools/c/10028/

Mine is from Harbor Freight... 

Ping G400 w/Ping Alta S