2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Birdie Ball Distance

How far can I expect the Birbie Balls to travel with a full 7i swing? I lasered my back yard and have a little over 50 yards before I loose a ball into the woods. This is plenty of room for me to hit foam balls with my 7i and shorter clubs. But looking for something a little more "real" feeling, and the Birdie Balls seem like the best bet. Just not sure if 50 yards is going to be enough room. 

That's a good question. I hit foam balls with up to a 7 iron on a local activity field that measures about 100-120 yards total. I usually set up about 10 yards in front of one of the goals and hit toward the other, and I'd estimate that my full 7 irons fly about 80 yards. Of course they land soft and don't run out, so they easily stay within the confines of the field. 

I would feel very cramped trying to do the same thing in a 50 yard space. 

Aren't the birdie balls sort of expensive? I'd think it would be pretty easy to lose a couple per session, depending on how you cut your grass.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

8 minutes ago, me05501 said:

That's a good question. I hit foam balls with up to a 7 iron on a local activity field that measures about 100-120 yards total. I usually set up about 10 yards in front of one of the goals and hit toward the other, and I'd estimate that my full 7 irons fly about 80 yards. Of course they land soft and don't run out, so they easily stay within the confines of the field. 

I would feel very cramped trying to do the same thing in a 50 yard space. 

Aren't the birdie balls sort of expensive? I'd think it would be pretty easy to lose a couple per session, depending on how you cut your grass.

Yeah, it's a bit cramped. I hit from the house to the back and then back towards the house with the foam balls. If I get into one good, it'll go into the woods or hit the house. No worries with the foam, but I'm sure a Birdie Ball wouldn't be good for my siding or a window. That's the other concern is damaging something with a Birdie Ball. 

They look to be around $30-$40 for a dozen. Would sting a bit more loosing one compared to a foam ball.

I'm content hitting foam balls in the back yard. Nice upgrade from hitting them off a mat into a net in my rec room. I can get a decent idea of ball flight and feel some turf interaction (although I've gotta stop tearing up my yard!!). I also chip around the back and use the mulch in my kids playset for bunker practice, which is surprisingly life like. It's the best practice I can get since it's really tough to find the time for a range session in between rounds with two kids under 5 at home.

• Like 1

I get it! That's how I got started taking my foam balls to the activity field in my neighborhood. 

You could probably plant a small area of Bermuda 🙂

I haven't tried a Birdie Ball but I'd think they would be very sensitive to the lie. 

Edited by me05501
  • Thanks 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

I used to love the Almost Golf balls but can't really remember their flight with a 7i.

I've had my eye on Sci-Core golf balls for a while but haven't tried them myself.  Anyone?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07194DZP8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Just found these:

https://www.playgosports.com/products/gosports-foam-golf-practice-balls-64-pack

I'm looking for Jr League practice golf balls.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

25 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Yeah, it's a bit cramped. I hit from the house to the back and then back towards the house with the foam balls. If I get into one good, it'll go into the woods or hit the house. No worries with the foam, but I'm sure a Birdie Ball wouldn't be good for my siding or a window. That's the other concern is damaging something with a Birdie Ball. 

They look to be around $30-$40 for a dozen. Would sting a bit more loosing one compared to a foam ball.

I'm content hitting foam balls in the back yard. Nice upgrade from hitting them off a mat into a net in my rec room. I can get a decent idea of ball flight and feel some turf interaction (although I've gotta stop tearing up my yard!!). I also chip around the back and use the mulch in my kids playset for bunker practice, which is surprisingly life like. It's the best practice I can get since it's really tough to find the time for a range session in between rounds with two kids under 5 at home.

You can buy, (or used to be able to), seconds on their website that are logo overruns and are cheaper.  I have them and with a 7 iron they fly about 40 - 50 yards but wind does have an effect as they fly proportionally further down wind than into the wind.  They lose speed pretty quickly, so if it hit your house or window I wouldn't think it would do any damage.

• Thanks 1

They really only go 40ish yards when you strike it properly.  Beware though:  if you thin one it'll go exactly as far as you'd expect a piece of pvc to travel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

I really like these foam balls, which have a bit of a tighter cover that feels slightly more realistic than most:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B083FK2Y6Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Later I decided I wanted more and bought these, but they are TOO SOFT in my opinion:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q213Y4Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

48 minutes ago, DShepley said:

You can buy, (or used to be able to), seconds on their website that are logo overruns and are cheaper.  I have them and with a 7 iron they fly about 40 - 50 yards but wind does have an effect as they fly proportionally further down wind than into the wind.  They lose speed pretty quickly, so if it hit your house or window I wouldn't think it would do any damage.

Thanks. Was hoping to hear they were around 50 yards or so. I like that they feel more like a real ball. Foam is fine, but it's like hitting nothing feel wise. 

7 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I really like these foam balls, which have a bit of a tighter cover that feels slightly more realistic than most:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B083FK2Y6Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Later I decided I wanted more and bought these, but they are TOO SOFT in my opinion:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q213Y4Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The ones I have are pretty soft. I've stayed away from the firmer foam ones because I spend most of my practice time hitting into my kids trampoline net in my rec room. I've sent foam balls ALL over the place. Would be afraid of the firmer ones busting something up inside.

I've spent the past 4 months rebuilding my swing. Inside with foam balls have been great for this. Now that I've made some decent progress, I'm just looking for a way to get full swings in outside to observe ball flight, shape, etc. without being at the range. 

2 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Thanks. Was hoping to hear they were around 50 yards or so. I like that they feel more like a real ball. Foam is fine, but it's like hitting nothing feel wise. 

They don't feel exactly like a real ball but are better than foam balls.  They do create spin axis though, so you know if you struck the ball well and you can see a shape, (it is exaggerated because they catch a lot of wind)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DShepley said:

They don't feel exactly like a real ball but are better than foam balls.  They do create spin axis though, so you know if you struck the ball well and you can see a shape, (it is exaggerated because they catch a lot of wind)

I can definitely see the shape with the foam balls, but I feel like they are extremely exaggerated compared to a real ball. I'm assuming a Birdie Ball would be more in between.

Just now, BigTerp1524 said:

I can definitely see the shape with the foam balls, but I feel like they are extremely exaggerated compared to a real ball. I'm assuming a Birdie Ball would be more in between.

I think so.  They are fun.  I have a net in my shop that I hit real balls into and I use the birdie balls in the yard to help confirm shot shape.

I love Birdie Balls!  I got them back when they first came out.  The little board you can hit off really helps keep them perfectly flat with a tight lie.  You can also hit them off a mat easily.  If they are not level they will already start curving on you.

I can hit them around 40-50 yards easily with a 7i.  If into the wind that can drop off to 30 yards and it will balloon a lot.  With the wind you will go into the woods or your house!  The other poster is right, if you hit it thin it will travel far and hit like a PVC pipe.  They do show flight curve well, sound cool and are better feeling than any foam ball I have hit.  

• Thanks 1

On a calm day I hit 8 irons from my yard to a neighbors tree. Thin contact flies into the street.

*edit - stock 8 iron with a real ball is 165y.

image.png.67dd22fc42069f25a4198ed85e0ca22f.png

North wind @10mph - 4 iron.

North wind @15mph - 3wood.

South wind @any speed - 54* max

Edited by D0ch0l1d4y
yardage
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the chance to hit the birdie balls in my yard. Can confirm with my 7i I'm right at 40-45 yards. And as @D0ch0l1d4y said, thinned shots go a little further. They are really fun to hit, and seem to give accurate shot shape. I was hitting my new 7i and every shot was pretty straight with a few slight draws. My miss is a fade/slice, but I've been working hard on my swing for the past 5 months and seem to have finally worked that out. So, I'm thinking these things aren't telling me what's really going on. I tried my hardest to come OTT and create a slice. Sure enough a beautiful slice right into the woods and gone forever. Definitely going to order some more. Much more rewarding and better feedback than hitting foam balls into a net inside. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have had a little more time with these and for a guy like me who has extremely limited time to go to the range, they are perfect. I spend the majority of my practice time inside hitting foam balls into a net. Fine practice for working on swing changes and engraining some things. But other than initial shot direction, there isn't any ball flight feedback. Have been working on half swings a lot lately with my wedges and short irons. My miss with these is a push right. I don't finish the shot and leave the face open. Working on this last night with the Birdie Balls I was quickly able to diagnosis my issue because I could observe the ball flight. Sorted it out and was hitting them straight again. Distance wise they fly about the same with irons and even half versus full swings. But lateral flight gives plenty of feedback. My only complaint is with the strikepad. It marks up the sole of the club quite a bit. So much so that I don't hit my wedges, which are DRM (diamonized raw metal) nor my hybrid which has a very attractive mirror like sole on the strikepad. My irons are DBM (diamonized black metal) so I don't mind with those. The marks will come off and do not damage the club, but it takes some elbow grease with a Magic Eraser to get them cleaned up.