Grip size and building up with extra layers.

So I’m a pretty firm believer that grips in general are too small. About 10 years ago I broke my hand doing something stupid and I struggled to close my hand early on after it healed. I ended up trying a midsize grip with x5 layers of tape underneath it. I really liked the feel and was able to grip the club firmly as my hand healed more. I ended up never going back to a regular size and now I want to know what’ll happen if I go larger. My current tendency is to get a hair too strong with my grip and I start moving it left. The bigger the grip is the easier it is for me to get weaker and I start moving both ways easier. 

I tried one of those jumbo max Bryson grips that one of my students had and I really liked it. I’m somewhat resistant to change so I’m thinking of still using my ribbed tour velvets but use x10 layers. Am I crazy or has anyone else had success with bigger grips? Do you prefer installing larger grips or using extra layers? I feel somewhat limited because I love ribbed grips so much. 

TSi3 8* AD IZ 6
Mavrik SZ 15* AD IZ 8

Mavrik SZ 18* AD IZ 8
X Forged UT 24* $-Taper
APEX MB21  5-P - $-Taper
MD5  52s, 56s, 60x - $-Taper
Toulon San Diego Garage H5 KBS 120

Jones Trouper 2.0 @GolfDaddyPGA

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really should just try the jumbo max but I still want the rib that my grips provide. The largest ribbed grip I know of is the tour velvet midsize align. I’m a creature of habit to some extent and I

So I ended up regripping a back up set with mid size Tour Velvet aligns with x15 layers on tape. They’re big, they’re heavy but they just may work. 

Why not try a sample of jumbomax?   Get le an extra-small, small, medium and large and goof around with them?  Cheap experiment, so not really much to lose.     I use a combination of medium

Posted Images

Why not try a sample of jumbomax?   Get le an extra-small, small, medium and large and goof around with them?  Cheap experiment, so not really much to lose.  

I use a combination of mediums and smalls.  Never going back to regular sized grips.

My question is that if you tried one and liked it, why wouldnt you use them and save the hassle of trying to make essentially the same thing with grip tape?

• Like 1
Just now, Lasorcier said:

Why not try a sample of jumbomax?   Get le an extra-small, small, medium and large and goof around with them?  Cheap experiment, so not really much to lose.  

I use a combination of mediums and smalls.  Never going back to regular sized grips.

My question is that if you tried one and liked it, why wouldnt you use them and save the hassle of trying to make essentially the same thing with grip tape?

I really should just try the jumbo max but I still want the rib that my grips provide. The largest ribbed grip I know of is the tour velvet midsize align. I’m a creature of habit to some extent and I don’t really want to give up my tour velvets. 

The second reason is even more unreasonable. I think Bryson is a goof and I don’t want to use the same grips. 

• Haha 2

TSi3 8* AD IZ 6
Mavrik SZ 15* AD IZ 8

Mavrik SZ 18* AD IZ 8
X Forged UT 24* $-Taper
APEX MB21  5-P - $-Taper

The rib on the bottom of the grip?  I think the jumbomax have a stitch on the back that is basically a rib.  Golfworks also has these plastic rib things that they sell too.  I have gotten them at golf galaxy in the past.

Can't speak to the dechambeau thing.  I just use them for comfort and that is what they are -- comfortable.

I like a larger than standard grip.  I think the midsize plus the 5 wraps is the better play than a standard grip with 10 wraps.  At 10 wraps, you'll have an extremely firm feeling grip, the grip will wear out faster and you have the potential of the grip splitting.  The surface area of the grip gets really thin when it's stretched over that many wraps.  Not many choices though for mid ribbed grips.  TV Align as you know, Lamkin makes one of there calibrate (ribbed) grips in midsize.  If you don't mid using Ping grips, most of the Ping branded grips are ribbed, ID8, 703, 5L models are ribbed and available in midsize and jumbo.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mackepa said:

Do you prefer installing larger grips or using extra layers?

i currently use JMX ultralites in large. i would've purchased some of the new straight ultralites to try but they don't have them in large.

i spent the better part of a couple of years playing with more than a dozen different grip builds. before settling on the JMX ultralites, the best set-up i found was jumbo tour velvet with 12 layers of buildup tape. i loved the firmness of the grips, but the added heft required between 8g-12g of lead tape on my club heads to get some feel back. my wedges at the time were more than 550g! and installing the grips was a PITA to the point where i was hesitant to try new clubs because of it.

the JMX took me a little getting used to, but now i can't really imagine using anything else. the main issues i have with JMX ultralites is they aren't always in stock (so i have to maintain a small inventory), and if they discontinue the grips i have no idea what the hell i'm going to do instead 😂

@Lasorcier, this is exactly what i did but with XL instead of XS!

Edited by hoselpalooza
  • Like 1

I think Bubba does something like this with at least +10 of build up tape and ribbed grips.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

So I ended up regripping a back up set with mid size Tour Velvet aligns with x15 layers on tape. They’re big, they’re heavy but they just may work. 

• Like 2

TSi3 8* AD IZ 6
Mavrik SZ 15* AD IZ 8

Mavrik SZ 18* AD IZ 8
X Forged UT 24* $-Taper
APEX MB21  5-P - $-Taper

Club by club I've recently changed my grips from CP2 Wrap Mid Size to Winn Dri Tac Midsize LT (less taper).. I like the less taper profile of the Winn. I like the grip's material because it promotes using light grip pressure, which is always a good thing for playing golf shots. And I like the lighter weight of the WINN grips, which increases the swing weight of the club's and, or, enhances the sense of club head weight/feel.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 3-wood

S-Yard XV 5-wood

Srixon H65  4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter