2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Grips...Why the cost? Budget vs OEM

mvhoffman

I have knockoff golf pride MCC +4 grips right now (Champkey from Amazon, $50 for set). Live in Hawaii, had them since last August. We get all kinds of weather and there's no difference in grippy-ness. Heat or rain I can't tell any difference. They're still in really good shape too. 

I think one thing different could be the manufacturing tolerances.

• Like 1

Driver:        Titleist Ts3 9.5° - 60g PX Evenflow Riptide CB 6.5

3W:            Taylormade M6 - 70g PX HZRDUS Smoke 6.5

3HY:           Titleist Ts3 19° - 100g PX Evenflow White 6.5

4U:             Tour Edge EXS Ti-Utility 22° - 110g Recoil F5 Utility 

5-PW:         New Level 902 forged - DG X100 AMT White

GW/SW:     Ping Glide 3.0 - 50° & 55°

LW:             Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face - 60°

P:                Odyssey Strokelab Double Wide

I just bought 13 Lamkin players cord grips for $68 on eBay. Great grip and at just over 5 per grip not to bad at all price wise. 

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

38 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

In reality leather grips from someone like best grips is the best value out there.  More up front , but the absolute tackiest grip you can buy , gets better in the rain , and will literally last for many years.  

What you said.  🙂

That durability makes the cost/benefit better than it appears on the surface, and when you factor the performance with any kind of moisture in play, it became an easy choice for me.

I like Crosslines quite a bit, and have had some last absurdly long, but they don't compare when things get a little damp.  As they do for a Scandanavian boy in summer.  😉

• Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

15 hours ago, LeoLeo99 said:

Worth the investment if you play your clubs for 4 - 6 seasons.  

I install my grips using layers of painters tape, solvent and a little rubber cement on the end of the shaft and use compressed air to slide the grip on (with air grip tool).  I can easily blow off the grip withouy any damage and reuse them on another set if need be.   The compressor is an inexpensive pancake compressor that can be found at Home Depot, Lowe's or any hardware store.  Golfworks sells the grip removal tool.   I hole there is an investment with the initial tools the first grip pull saves that investment and then some.  Side note how I install the grips, I probably don't need the rubber cement and maybe can do it without grip solvent. I do this method because that's how Harry Sewill taught me and it works.  

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I was a huge Lamkin fanboy as I thought their grips were superior to anything GP put out. Until last year. I now hate everything Lamkin has to offer now.  Never liked Crosslines and they seem to have gone all in on them.   Players cord - gone, UTX wrap - gone, Z5 cord - gone, Sonar and ST are garbage and just as expensive as GP MCC. 

3 minutes ago, blazman11 said:

I was a huge Lamkin fanboy as I thought their grips were superior to anything GP put out. Until last year. I now hate everything Lamkin has to offer now.  Never liked Crosslines and they seem to have gone all in on them.   Players cord - gone, UTX wrap - gone, Z5 cord - gone, Sonar and ST are garbage and just as expensive as GP MCC. 

I guess it's the aging golfer demographic but all the major brands are filtering in fewer and fewer old-school real cord and/or real rubber options with more and more of the squishy and plasticky materials. 

1 minute ago, RobotDoctor said:

I install my grips using layers of painters tape, solvent and a little rubber cement on the end of the shaft and use compressed air to slide the grip on (with air grip tool).  I can easily blow off the grip withouy any damage and reuse them on another set if need be.   The compressor is an inexpensive pancake compressor that can be found at Home Depot, Lowe's or any hardware store.  Golfworks sells the grip removal tool.   I hole there is an investment with the initial tools the first grip pull saves that investment and then some.  Side note how I install the grips, I probably don't need the rubber cement and maybe can do it without grip solvent. I do this method because that's how Harry Sewill taught me and it works.  

‘you definitely don’t need rubber cement. You can also get an air compressor for the cheap at Harbor Freight. I have a 3 gallon one from their that’s going on 7 years. You can also buy a nozzle tool from HF that I insert into the butt end for large grips. For normal ‘ midsize grips I use the Pure grips tool. 

what I do buy from Home Depot is the green Frogger painters tape. Best build up tape I’ve found. For installing with air I just squirt one spray of solvent into the grip, aiming mostly at the beginning of grip. Just makes it slide in a little easier and doesn’t make an obnoxious squeaking sound then when installing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

In reality leather grips from someone like best grips is the best value out there.  More up front , but the absolute tackiest grip you can buy , gets better in the rain , and will literally last for many years.  

what's funny is I started this thread, but I am looking at Best grips and Gripmaster right now.  Even with the new build coming up I am using the same shafts.  I don't see me going away from them so I figured why not the leathers.  The only thing that gets me a little concerned is the taper.  I actually am making the transition back to midsize with taper as opposed to the non taper style I have now.  

• Like 2

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

6 minutes ago, mvhoffman said:

what's funny is I started this thread, but I am looking at Best grips and Gripmaster right now.  Even with the new build coming up I am using the same shafts.  I don't see me going away from them so I figured why not the leathers.  The only thing that gets me a little concerned is the taper.  I actually am making the transition back to midsize with taper as opposed to the non taper style I have now.  

Use best grips in my opinion.  They sponsor this site and have a 15 off code for members. I believe it’s Wrx15  or something similar.   Texas made product and great people.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

6 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Use best grips in my opinion.  They sponsor this site and have a 15 off code for members. I believe it’s Wrx15  or something similar.   Texas made product and great people.  

That's the direction I was going.  Thanks for the heads up on the coupon code

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

Tried them all. TV, cord, iomic, Lamkin, NDMC, Superstroke etc. all really good grips! 
My interpretation of these prices stems from the replacement amount on tour. Lotta grips swapped in and out but I don’t know if they’re paid for or what. 
I, personally, clean my grips a lot. Every round to every other round if possible. And I take a light to medium ish sand paper along with a mild degreaser at least once a month. They last and maintain their tack. I’ll use them for over a year.

The tackiness and low maintenance of leather grips is awesome. I personally do not like the foam under layer. It significantly changes the feel and I just don’t care for it. The leather I’ve owned were firmer than a Winn but still too soft. Obviously that is my personal preference. I like putting the club in my hands were the callouses are built up. Leather is undoubtedly easier on the hands. 

best Grips are very good. I don’t know if this has changed as I ordered my grips 3-4 years ago. But standard grips were actually mid size (or close to) while under size were closer to standard. I did really like the stitching on leather grips. Acts like a reminder / GP align.  If you install leather grips yourself you must use a water based solvent like Brampton’s. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blazman11 said:

best Grips are very good. I don’t know if this has changed as I ordered my grips 3-4 years ago. But standard grips were actually mid size (or close to) while under size were closer to standard.

My own purchase of two Microperfs from Best Grips was just a couple years ago.  Being a Cadet Medium glove size, I went with the Undersize Microperf, based on their recommendation.  Turned out to be a good choice.

With the GripMaster Roos that I also have in play, Standard size is what works.

1 hour ago, blazman11 said:

If you install leather grips yourself you must use a water based solvent like Brampton’s. 

Bramptons is great, but even with that, I found it wasn't especially easy to install either brand of leather.  Part of why I went with an air compressor.

I now understand why the Best Grips video shows using WD40 as an option.  I haven't wanted to go that route, but after doing a dozen grips in the last couple days, I get it.  LOL

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

2 hours ago, mvhoffman said:

I'm pretty cheap when it comes to golf equipment (hence the pre-owned equipment in my bag), but still went the leather route.  Not having to change grips for years at a time is appealing, even without considering the performance with moisture involved.

Maybe it's also my inner accountant getting involved.  Cost benefit analysis and all that.  LOL

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sorry in advance but have to:  would you trust cheap rubbers?! 😉

I'm also cheap when it comes to equipment, and I'm sure some cheap grips last just fine, but I've taken a liking to Pure DTX, which I've played with without a glove several times without a problem, even when wet.  Don't play much but they're still great after a couple years and probably have a couple more in them (keep them clean). 

Leather has always been tempting though for the durability and wet performance despite the initial cost. For me they would probably last as long as I keep the clubs for (decade+ at my rate), so definitely worth it. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

3 hours ago, mvhoffman said:

Long time leather user here. I custom taper my grips (larger under lower hand) and use a reduced taper. If you're wanting to go standard taper, I would definitely stick with GM.

Installing with air, I can add up to 4 layers of blue painters tape and still install pretty easy. So, if you want MORE than standard taper and plan to build up in the b u t t section, the GM grips will give you a little more leeway. Golfworks also has the GM underlist and wrap strips sold separately if you need even more room.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

4 hours ago, North Butte said:

I saw that listing. I think that will be a really nice grip.

I’ve used them in the past. It’s one of the best cord grips I’ve used. I usually add 4 or 5 wraps of tape under the right hand but these size out perfect as is in the standard + size. 

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

4 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I have been a convert to BestGrips when they we're GripmasterUSA.  After the split from Gripmaster Australia I followed the Sewills.  As long as they're making grips I'll be using their grips.  Probably longer.   Zach and Miss Susan are terrific people and treat their customers right.  Harry, the founder, was a salt of the earth kind of buy and it was my honor to be able to call him friend.  It is because of how I have always been treated by the Sewills and the quality of their product that makes me completely loyal to them.  I will never hesitate to recommend BestGrips.  

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I've said over and over that if you're a fan of the Golf Pride BCT Cord, the better (and cheaper) alternative is from Tacki Mac. 

Dumb name but way better grip for way less money. I remember when GP Cords were "affordable." Seems like now they're all $12 if they're in stock at all. 

More texture on the Tacki Mac version, plus it seems to hold up forever. 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

On 5/18/2021 at 12:05 PM, RolandofGilead said:

Lots of the more expensive popular grip models (Golf Pride NDMC, all Winn models, for instance) are actually multi-material or feature a proprietary composite surface layer for performance purposes.

Multimaterial + R&D + marketing costs make the brand names more expensive.

The question is which of the brand name models are "worth it" for the extra cost. If you find a cheaper, generic grip model that works for you, go for it.

Another issue is the question of durability. In the brand names, the Winn Dri-Tac were always a couple of dollars cheaper than some other name brands. Some posters complained the DTs were not very durable, and only lasted a few weeks.

I played quite a bit in the three years I used them, 20+ rounds a season and practice once or twice a week. But, for me they lasted through the season.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I am surprised so many folks run through grips so fast. I have spent 100 days at the range in a summer with 80%+ humidity + 50 rounds in a summer and never remotely considered sanding, washing or replacing grips due to slick or hard issues. The only grip I’ve ever worn out was a No1 grip and that was within the first week. Perhaps it is because I play more harsh cord grips but I only switch when I am bored, never due to wear. 

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

12 hours ago, Stetson said:

I am surprised so many folks run through grips so fast. I have spent 100 days at the range in a summer with 80%+ humidity + 50 rounds in a summer and never remotely considered sanding, washing or replacing grips due to slick or hard issues. The only grip I’ve ever worn out was a No1 grip and that was within the first week. Perhaps it is because I play more harsh cord grips but I only switch when I am bored, never due to wear. 

There are a couple reasons I can think of. Mainly, it's probably the type of material. A lot of the newer grips are NOT built for durability and they just wear out a lot faster than your old-school cord grips. I remember when I used to use the original GP Tour Wrap Full Cords back in the day. Good luck wearing those out.

But I've also played with guys who I'm not sure ever really clean their grips. Maybe a quick swipe with a damp towel after a few rounds. And they also wear these grotty old blackened, filthy golf gloves for dozens of rounds without ever washing them. If you use a dirty glove to hold an even dirtier grip then sure it's going to wear out faster. 

OTOH, I was recently asking another golfer about his driver and he handed it to me to look at. It originally had a Tour Velvet grip but you literally could not see the pattern on it any more. It was so worn down it was completely smooth like a putter grip and kind of cupped out/mashed down permanently in the areas where his hands go. I have no idea how he could swing that club without it flying out of his hands. So maybe it doesn't matter how fast or slow a grip wears out if you're never going to change it anyway!