2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

TSi4 Reviews??? Where they at?

Belltower

I am having a hard time finding any real life input on the TSi4. I know it is a relatively niche club (or it's at least marketed that way) and it came in the secondary release, but I would figure more info was out there on it.

I bring this up because I am doing some testing on one right now and at least anecdotally, it has a good deal more forgiveness than I would have expected. Have I been brainwashed over the last decade into thinking 430cc head is equivalent to hitting a persimmon? Still want to do more testing to confirm for myself, but I wanted to see what everyone else was thinking.

One thing I know for sure. It is probably the most aesthetically perfect driver I've ever hit. It just sits behind the ball so perfectly. I still have a small gripe with the sound. Gripe is relative i suppose, but I much prefer the sound of my TM M5 or SIM/SIM2.

• Like 1

I tested a TSi4 against the Tsi3 that I had originally purchased.

I liked the shape of the 4 more than 3.  In my testing through, I found the 3 and 4 basically performed the same. With the TS line, there was a much larger difference between them, but, again for me, this year they are very similar. I think it comes down to what head shape/size you prefer.. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9° | Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5*  | Ventus Black 7X

Titleist TSR2 18*  | AV Raw Blue 8TX

Titleist  '23 T200 (4) T100 5-9  | PX Rifle 6.5
Titleist  SM9 46 / 50 / 54 / 58  | PX Rifle 6.0

**Putter Unknown**

No need to qualify your experience as anecdotally.  I care more about human experience with equipment than what Iron Byron produces. 

As you know there's a noticeable head size difference between 430cc Tsi4 and 460cc Tsi3.  Tsi4 has different loft options from Tsi2, but same loft options as Tsi3.  However, its COG is lower and closer to the face which (depending on user swing) produces much lower spin rates compared to the other Titleist heads.  Also, less face RE so not much forgiveness.  I played 400cc 905S 9.5 for a long time.  Tsi4 is surprisingly similar.  In the wrong hands, the ball will drop out of the sky, which I suspect is why you haven't found much detail.  That club head has a very limited market, not sure my grooved swing could make it work.

Not exactly related, but I was enjoyably impressed at how left dash - ProV1x low spin ball performed with my Tsi2 9.5 @ A4, so I bought a box.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Are any of the Titleist Tour staff playing the TSi4 currently.  I know several were but no longer, ie Scott, Homa

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

55 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

Are any of the Titleist Tour staff playing the TSi4 currently.  I know several were but no longer, ie Scott, Homa

Richy Werenski was playing a TSi4 Ventus Red 6x combo but not sure if it’s still in the bag

Driver: Sim 10.5 WB 73 TX
3w: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15/BRNR Mini Diamana D+Plus 80TX

5w: Paradym AI Smoke 18 Tensei Pro White 1k 90 TX
4i: Srixon ZX Mk II AD IZ 95x

5i: Srixon U85 Oban CT 125x

6-PW: Miura TC-201 Oban CT 125x

50/54/59: Cleveland RTX Zipcore DG S400

Putter: Jailbird 380 WH

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

No need to qualify your experience as anecdotally.  I care more about human experience with equipment than what Iron Byron produces. 

As you know there's a noticeable head size difference between 430cc Tsi4 and 460cc Tsi3.  Tsi4 has different loft options from Tsi2, but same loft options as Tsi3.  However, its COG is lower and closer to the face which (depending on user swing) produces much lower spin rates compared to the other Titleist heads.  Also, less face RE so not much forgiveness.  I played 400cc 905S 9.5 for a long time.  Tsi4 is surprisingly similar.  In the wrong hands, the ball will drop out of the sky, which I suspect is why you haven't found much detail.  That club head has a very limited market, not sure my grooved swing could make it work.

Not exactly related, but I was enjoyably impressed at how left dash - ProV1x low spin ball performed with my Tsi2 9.5 @ A4, so I bought a box.

I played the 905R for a long time and to this day consider it one of the best drivers of all time. I know that the TSi4 has more forgiveness than that, I am just wondering if I should be expecting a tangible drop in forgiveness from TSi3 to TSi4? Because my hands on experience hasn't yet led me to believe that the TSi4 is as "hard to hit/workable/uber-tour model" as the literature on it makes me think it should be. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

Funny you say that, I have noticed the same. Seems like they're all opting for 3. And i think i saw earlier this week a WITB where Adam Scott had TSi1 or TSi2 in the bag, which i found odd.

1 minute ago, Belltower said:

I played the 905R for a long time and to this day consider it one of the best drivers of all time. I know that the TSi4 has more forgiveness than that, I am just wondering if I should be expecting a tangible drop in forgiveness from TSi3 to TSi4? Because my hands on experience hasn't yet led me to believe that the TSi4 is as "hard to hit/workable/uber-tour model" as the literature on it makes me think it should be. 

Also, the TSi4 looks and feels to me what the modern version of a 905 would be. Which is the highest compliment I can give it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2ndCut16 said:

I liked the shape of the 4 more than 3.  In my testing through, I found the 3 and 4 basically performed the same.

Same for me. I absolutely love the look of the 4 over the 3.  When I did head to head at fitting, the 3 performed ever so marginally better for me in dispersion and average distance, and the 4 had the longest and straightest shots in the bunch.

Went with the 4 for looks and just overall better feeling at set up. I grew up playing persimmon drivers and just like smaller head sizes. Also why I still really like teeing off with a 3 wood these days...

But sadly my love affair with the 4 came to end a month or so back.

I could hit some bombs with the 4 on the range, occasionally on the course, but I played a couple tournaments and just couldn't make it work when it really counted. It's clearly the golfer not the equipment -- also why I have a day job and not out on tour. The 3 is a much better fit for helping my misses not be as penal. The 2 might even better but really can't deal with it aesthetically so haven't even tried it. Just not my thing.

Edited by Seattlegolfnut

17 minutes ago, Seattlegolfnut said:

Same for me. I absolutely love the look of the 4 over the 3.  When I did head to head at fitting, the 3 performed ever so marginally better for me in dispersion and average distance, and the 4 had the longest and straightest shots in the bunch.

Went with the 4 for looks and just overall better feeling at set up. I grew up playing persimmon drivers and just like smaller head sizes. Also why I still really like teeing off with a 3 wood these days...

But sadly my love affair with the 4 came to end a month or so back.

I could hit some bombs with the 4 on the range, occasionally on the course, but I played a couple tournaments and just couldn't make it work when it really counted. It's clearly the golfer not the equipment -- also why I have a day job and not out on tour. The 3 is a much better fit for helping my misses not be as penal. The 2 might even better but really can't deal with it aesthetically so haven't even tried it. Just not my thing.

Were you hitting mega foul balls with it?

I'm trying to figure out if the lack of forgiveness is in the lower MOI/CG or whatever (i.e. super squirly if not hit out of the middle) or in spinning off line with a bad pass that still hits the center of face.  My guess is that because it is so low spin, the misses wouldn't curve much off line, but would the 35cc reduction cause a lot more dispersion/less distance on "mishits."

Edited by Belltower

My playing partner got a TSi4 paired with a Hazrdus Hulk from a Titleist player and has been killing that set up. Carry is similar to his  previous driver but the roll out is insane. I’ve hit it a pretty good bit and I was surprised that a low/low combo like that worked for me too. I would have NO problem putting it in the bag. Looked like the weight in the head had been changed to a non-stock weight. Looks great at address and inspires confidence in me when I’m swinging it.? I can’t afford that set up or else I’d have it in the bag. Hope that helps.?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Belltower said:

Were you hitting mega foul balls with it?

I'm trying to figure out if the lack of forgiveness is in the lower MOI/CG or whatever (i.e. super squirly if not hit out of the middle) or in spinning off line with a bad pass that still hits the center of face.  My guess is that because it is so low spin, the misses wouldn't curve much off line, but would the 35cc reduction cause a lot more dispersion/less distance on "mishits."

Naw wouldn't say squirly ones....just "dead" ones. Short more than anything. Like really short. Two holes in the last tournament killed me: a reachable par 5 that became unreachable from my short tee shot. I then tried to be a hero and paid the price with a big number. Then a birdie-for-the-taking par 4 I normally drive over bunkers and ended up in them. Took another big number.

The TSi4 is a beast. It's the only driver that I have used over the last 5 years, that is able to bring my spin down into the zone I need. When I catch one, it's long.  It has a great shape and feels nice at impact. Sounds is great.

The problem is I hit it 8-10 times a round, and those, if I'm being honest, are usually B-C (grade) hits. It just doesn't give me the forgiveness I need. I may have one up on BST soon, haha. I'm going to test a TSi3 next. 

Edit: Play to a 6, and the driver is my nemesis.  

Edited by eRod v1.0
  • Like 2

PXG 0311 Tour-1 10.5° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 49° (50°)

PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 53° (54°)

PXG Sugar Daddy II - PX - 58°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

1 minute ago, eRod v1.0 said:

The TSi4 is a beast. It's the only driver that I have used over the last 5 years, that is able to bring my spin down into the zone I need. When I catch one, it's long.  It has a great shape and feels nice at impact. Sounds is great.

The problem is I hit it 8-10 times a round, and those, if I'm being honest, are usually B-C (grade) hits. It just doesn't give me the forgiveness I need. I may have one up on BST soon, haha. I'm going to test a TSi3 next. 

you are my twin

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Belltower said:

I seem to recall 905R was 460cc more like Ts2, low spin, high launch; 905T was 400cc but kinda unique, while 905S 400cc was the lowest spin and launch of the lot.  Whether Tsi4 is hard to hit depends more on your mechanics, not so much what others experience.  When I played 905S, others said it was too difficult to hit, yet I didn't feel that way.  Not sure the tangible drop you speak of is actually quantifiable with Titleist heads today.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

4 hours ago, Belltower said:

Funny you say that, I have noticed the same. Seems like they're all opting for 3. And i think i saw earlier this week a WITB where Adam Scott had TSi1 or TSi2 in the bag, which i found odd.

Yep, size matters.... lol  and Scott is back in bed with Tsi2.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I play a TS4 9.5 and tried a TSi4 8. Looks, sound and feel TSi4 hands down. Distance and forgiveness is about the same. Basically it's the same comparison between TS3 and TSi3 which I both tried and owned. Sold the TSi4 because I felt it didn't justify the investment and bought back my old TS4 from the same guy I sold to on BST. I know, golfwrx problems....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

TM Stealth 2+ 9 Fuji Ventus Black 6X

TM Stealth + 13.5 HZRDUS Blue 70 6.5

TM SIM UDI 2i HZRDUS Black 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 MK2 4-PW Modus 120X

Vokey SM10 50.08F/56.12D/60.08M S400

SC SS Squareback 2

So as a Titleist loyalist and driver head ho....

The TSi4 is a HUGE improvement over the D4, much more playable and the sound is just so great.

TSi4 vs TSi2... the 4 knocks of ~500 RPM of spin for me... bringing me down around 2,000 which when hit well it’s a bomb that rolls forever, however it’s way harder to cut the ball for the lack of spin.

I will probably bounce between them for a while but when it comes to playing tournament golf the 2 will be in the bag  

On 5/20/2021 at 1:23 PM, Belltower said:

It's more forgiving than the FT9-TA or SLDR.  I really like the way the TSi4 looks.  Reminds of the more traditional tour heads back in the day.  As you stated, it's really more forgiving than what the masses tout it as.  I was really tempted to pick one up but I already had a OG SIM at the time.  Def a low spin head.  Paired with the right shaft, it's a cannon. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

In my opinion the tsi2 and tsi3 is so good it kind of makes the 4 redundant.  But , now if they made a tsi5 .... I’m all aboard 😂.  

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Loved the 400cc 905T.Got 917d3 430 now.. Seems the tsi4 is a 905S or J33 Bridgrstone,the low spin bomber...

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

• 2 months later...

Talk to me guys..... how is the TSi4 treating everyone??? I bought one to test and expected to remind myself why I can’t play the 4, but it has been surprisingly playable so far. Previous iterations (915 D4 and TS4) the great drives were great, but it’s the mishits and over draws that fell out of the sky, and  that made them unplayable for me. 

Has anyone else experienced the same TSi4 being quite playable? 

Titleist TSR3 8* PX HZRDUS Blue 
Titleist TSR2+ PX HZRDUS Yellow
Titleist 980 17* Project X black
Titleist T100 4-6 Project X

Titleist 620mb 7-9 Project X
Titleist SM8 46* PX
Titleist SM8 53* PX
Titleist SM8 59* PX
Scotty Special Select Newport2
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1141363-golflefty-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I still game mine and have no expectations to change.  I have the TSi3 and the TSi4.  I haven't really used the TSi3 since I got the TSi4.  I should probably sell the TSi3 head.

Pros (to me):

Lower spin is what I needed.  One of my complaints with the TSi3 and my prior driver (G400) was that I would get spin-ups.  With the TSi4, I don't get those.  The ball flight penetrates the wind very well.

Better distance.  This is probably because of the prior point.

Smaller.  I liked the G400 in that it was not a max sized head.  I like the TSi4 for the very same reason.  I have not generally been a huge fan of full-sized heads.

Cons (to me):

Occasionally I get one that falls out of the sky.  In doing so, however, it was hit long.

Neutral (to me):

Dispersion is about the same with both.

If the TSi4 is unforgiving, I guess I don't really notice it above the TSi3. 

I know they are different sizes and maybe different shape slightly, but I guess I don't notice it.

Sound and accordingly feel seems the same between the two.

That is all tempered by the shaft, which is an autoflex.  I had a Motore X before this shaft.  The AF very much helps with dispersion, which I think is its best feature.  With the Motore X, I am certain that I would notice a bigger difference between the two.  I had to do a considerable amount of goofing around to get the TSi3 right, whereas the TSi4 was right out of the box.

The Tsi4 is a ball speed monster. But is as squirrelly a driver as I have ever hit. Plus so low spin. 

I am a pretty low spin guy with driver all ready. It was knuckle dives ball flights for me.

the Tsi3 is the best driver out at the moment. But a challenger is coming..

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

• 3 months later...

Is the tsi4 lower spin than the SIM?

I found the SIM lower spin than the ts4 from a couple years back. 

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

On 11/27/2021 at 6:26 PM, kasting333 said:

Is the tsi4 lower spin than the SIM?

I found the SIM lower spin than the ts4 from a couple years back. 

I don't think so. I have bagged the Sim 8*, TS4 8.5* and now the TSi4 in 8*. I would have to say that both the TS4 and TSi4 were both the lower spinning of the 3. TSi4 is hands down my favorite of the bunch. Something about it's compact shape that gives me that much more confidence to swing away on the tee. 

• Like 1

TSR3 8* w Autoflex 505x shaft
Titleist 915fd w Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV 661 shaft
Titleist TSi3 4 hybrid w Fujikura Tour Spec Blue 7 

Miura CB1008 4i-PW w Oban CT-115 S shafts
Miura Tour Wedge HB 48*, Miura K Grind 2.0 54* & 60* w Oban Ct-115 wedge shafts
Scotty Cameron Red X center shafted putter (I love anything CS)
Titleist Prov1x