1 club between driver & irons… any love?

Been carrying a 15* 3 wood and 19* rescue for while. Almost out of stubbornness bc I feel like I should. Rest of the bag is 4-PW, 52-56-60. I really wanted to get my 3 iron back in the bag and didn’t want to mess with my wedge setup. Just traded in my 3 wood and rescue for a 17* rescue. Seems weird to me to only have a single club between driver and irons but I almost never hit my 3 wood. I don’t have much confidence in it and I really don’t need it at my home course. I think I can get what I want out of a 17* rescue and hit it out of multiple lies and play different shots with it. I’ve always loved hitting 3 iron off the tee when the shot calls for it. Hard to miss big with it. Anyone else have a bag setup like this? Are there any tour players doing this?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Driver-4 wood-3 iron.    

After spending a lot of time caddying at a world-class resort and meeting golfers from all over, I've become really convinced that the optimal setup is one where you like everything. I can't tell you

Driver - Heavenwood for me right now. Need to get on the course to see how it works. The Heavenwood replaced a 7 wood.    used to carry a 17 degree 4 wood but never felt comfortable over the ba

Posted Images

On windy days I might go Driver-3W and then to my irons, which start at 2i and 4i. If what you're adding is a 3i, you might consider something that's more of a driving iron (or get a 2i) just to create some separation with your 4i.

• Like 1

Mizuno Stz @8.5 Hzrdus Black Rdx 6.0

Mizuno Stz @12.75 Fuji Motore-x F3 7s

Mizuno Stz @15.75 Fuji Motore-x F3 7s

Mizuno Mp20 Hmb 22.0 Ventus Blue 9x

Mizuno Mp20 Mb 5i-9i Modus Tour 120

SM8 46F 50F 54D 60D Modus Tour 120

Ping Tyne 4 (2021) || Titleist Pro V1 #68

TM 300 @12.0 Ventus Blue 7x (auditioning)

Depends on the course. I could live without my 3W as I have a 3H the I hit well. That said, I have a new home course and last times I’ve played I hit 3W probably 3-5 times, all off the deck. Part of that was playing in 25 mph winds though.

• Like 1

G400Max Xtorsion 60S | G425 5W Orange 75S - 4-5H Orange 80S

ZX7 6-AW Recoil 95F3 | Glide3 Eye2 56-60 | ER2B - Nova

in rotation: F9 3W Devo 7S - 3H Devo 8S

just bought a g425 17* hybrid in an attempt to get rid of my 3 wood. The days of hitting  the 3 wood for accuracy off the tee are long gone with todays forgiving driver heads for me and I am not going for a green more than 250 out any longer either. 

we shall see 

• Like 1
Titleist Tsi2 9*
Titleist 917F2 15*
Cobra King Tec 18*
Callaway UT 21*
Ping iE1 5-UW
Titleist SM8 56S & 60S
Ping 2021 Fetch 

Depends on a few things, how long you are, length of courses you play or just 1 course and is it usually windy. 

The longer hitter that you are?  The more you can get away with it as you can then choose 1 club and manipulate it as needed (think 19* range in either a 5wd or hybrid).  

Do you play 1 home course or do you travel where you might need it for different carry yardages and shots or just a home course where you know everything that you will likely do already and just need to execute the shot.

Is it windy most of the time?  This will limit you going into a higher lofted club vs staying at around a 4wd loft (16*-17*).

Personally I would rather just have the tool for the job if I'm going to be carrying 13 clubs anyway, than worry about the "just in case scenario".  

Ping G410 LST 9* AV Raw Blue 65 TX

Titleist TS2 16.5* AV Raw Blue 75X

Titleist TS3 19* AV Raw Blue 75X

TM 760 4-PW TI S400

TM MG2 52*, Hi-toe 58* TI S400

Odyssey Tank V-Line 35"

40 minutes ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Depends on a few things, how long you are, length of courses you play or just 1 course and is it usually windy. 

The longer hitter that you are?  The more you can get away with it as you can then choose 1 club and manipulate it as needed (think 19* range in either a 5wd or hybrid).  

Do you play 1 home course or do you travel where you might need it for different carry yardages and shots or just a home course where you know everything that you will likely do already and just need to execute the shot.

Is it windy most of the time?  This will limit you going into a higher lofted club vs staying at around a 4wd loft (16*-17*).

Personally I would rather just have the tool for the job if I'm going to be carrying 13 clubs anyway, than worry about the "just in case scenario".  

I guess I’m pretty long compared to the guys I play with. I do have a home course so I pretty much know what shots I need to hit. I’m not usually the go for I type so really the 17* is more for the tee. I think I should be able to hit it in the 235-240 range as I hit my 3 iron about 215-220. As someone else sorta said, I’d rather choke down and sorta slap my driver if I want it to go 3 wood distance off the tee. Just so much more forgiving. But I don’t even really need that shot at my home course. Wind also isn’t much of an issue where I play. Still gonna feel weird only carrying a rescue between my driver and 3 iron. 

1 hour ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

I guess I’m pretty long compared to the guys I play with. I do have a home course so I pretty much know what shots I need to hit. I’m not usually the go for I type so really the 17* is more for the tee. I think I should be able to hit it in the 235-240 range as I hit my 3 iron about 215-220. As someone else sorta said, I’d rather choke down and sorta slap my driver if I want it to go 3 wood distance off the tee. Just so much more forgiving. But I don’t even really need that shot at my home course. Wind also isn’t much of an issue where I play. Still gonna feel weird only carrying a rescue between my driver and 3 iron. 

If looking to change things up for some fun, look into minimalist golf as well.  Long running thread on it here and more info on the google.  Fun to do and makes you think more on the course and pay attention to yardages that you want if you want full shots into greens vs 'creating' the shot through manipulation (but that's part of the fun).

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 9* AV Raw Blue 65 TX

Titleist TS2 16.5* AV Raw Blue 75X

Titleist TS3 19* AV Raw Blue 75X

TM 760 4-PW TI S400

TM MG2 52*, Hi-toe 58* TI S400

Odyssey Tank V-Line 35"

I go driver (250 yards), 15 degree 3 wood (230 yards) 19 degree 3 iron (210 yards).

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19*
5-GW: Titleist 718 AP1, 24*-48*
SW: Ping Glide 2.0 ES, 56*
Putter: Bettinardi iNOVAi 5.0
Ball: Bridgestone B RX
Bag: Ping Mascot

Driver - Heavenwood for me right now. Need to get on the course to see how it works. The Heavenwood replaced a 7 wood. 

used to carry a 17 degree 4 wood but never felt comfortable over the ball. 

Way back I carried a TM Burner 3 wood with a DGS300 shaft that I absolutely loved. Sadly those days are long gone. 

drn92

• Like 2

I have a driver, 1 iron utility, 3 iron, 4 iron, etc...

I haven't carried a fairway wood for years and the utility works much better for me than any of the hybrids I've carried. I haven't missed the fairways at all.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* | HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60/6.5

Titleist U510 16* | Ventus Blue VeloCore 9X

Titleist T100 3-PW | KBS Tour 120S

Callaway Jaws MD5 52 | KBS Tour 120S

Callaway PM Grind 58* & 64* | KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Evnroll ER2B / 370G / Gravity Grip

A 4 wood 16*-17.5* depending on what distance you want it go.  

Driver:  Cobra RadSpeed 10.5* @ 9.5*-Diamana Whiteboard 60X

Fairway Woods:  Cobra F9 Tour 3 wood 14.5* & 5 wood 18.5*-Diamana Whitebaord 70X

Irons:  Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges:  Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*, 60*-KBS C-Taper 125S+

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab #10 

Ball:  2020 Bridgestone Tour BX

There was a time I was playing a driver-2h-3i setup because I couldn't hit a 3w to save my life.  One less club in the bag made the bag lighter to carry.  I ended up working on my swing and got older so now I need the help from a 3w and the versatility of a hybrid but you do you.  I used to play with a guy who went driver right to 3i and 2 wedges.  He was a scratch golfer and just liked that setup.  He'd hit driver off the dirt too.  You just have to play what works, not a certain setup. 

• Like 2

M6  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7
790UDI  PX Catalyst 80  //  818H2  19°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

13 hours ago, drn92 said:

Driver - Heavenwood for me right now. Need to get on the course to see how it works. The Heavenwood replaced a 7 wood. 

used to carry a 17 degree 4 wood but never felt comfortable over the ball. 

Way back I carried a TM Burner 3 wood with a DGS300 shaft that I absolutely loved. Sadly those days are long gone. 

drn92

Even though I have a 3w in the bag (sometimes swapped out with a Bertha 1.5) I very often just go driver - Heavenwood as well. 

After spending a lot of time caddying at a world-class resort and meeting golfers from all over, I've become really convinced that the optimal setup is one where you like everything. I can't tell you how many times a situation has called for a club based on what we've seen only to have the guest say "yeah, but I hate that club". Why are you carrying it? I've had a love/hate relationship with fairway woods over my entire life. That doesn't mean there isn't a good setup for me out there, but I'd rather skip a specific shot if I'm going to screw it up more often than not.

Can you replace a fairway wood with a driving iron? Yes

Can you get a low-lofted hybrid? Yes

Can you have both if you have room in the bag? Yes

If you can't get that club to carry 240 over water trying to go for a par 5 because you ditched a 3-wood that you hate and hit all over the planet then hit to whatever is a great number range and stuff a wedge at the pin.

Same thing goes for the "should I carry a hybrid?" conversation. They're not for everybody, despite what manufacturers would tell you. Maybe it'll mean you can't go for it from thick rough from long range. Justin Leonard won an Open Championship at Troon by pitching out of rough and getting up and down. Whatever works works.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Exactly what I have bagged into. Driver then switching out SIM DHY 3 with a Diamana Thump 90 and a SIM2 Rescue 19* Diamana Thump 90 both solid 235 tee clubs then to my 4iron. 

Noticing a gap on some dog legs or tighter holes we play so going to add another club either a 2HY, 3/4 metal, or 5metal turned to its lowest loft for that 245-250yard shot. 

On 5/24/2021 at 12:35 PM, steventoo said:

I have a driver, 1 iron utility, 3 iron, 4 iron, etc...

I haven't carried a fairway wood for years and the utility works much better for me than any of the hybrids I've carried. I haven't missed the fairways at all.

Good choice!

Similar set up to me, I always found a fairway wood could potentially cost me a shot once in a while, where going driver 1 iron I don't have the big misses that can put a big number on the card 

Driver = Taylormade SIM2 8* Hzrdus green 70 6.0

= Taylormade 300 Mini 11.5*  (mini driver experiment)

1 iron = Titleist U510 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
Irons = Wilson Staff FG59, DG S300 4-PW
Wedges = Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50*

Taylormade MG2 56*
                   Callaway Jaws MD5 60*

Putter = Odyssey white hot pro 1WS 

Ball = Bridgestone Tour B RXS 

30 minutes ago, craz-e said:

Good choice!

Similar set up to me, I always found a fairway wood could potentially cost me a shot once in a while, where going driver 1 iron I don't have the big misses that can put a big number on the card 

The main thing for me isn't so much that the fairways would cost me shots, it's that I don't need distance and the U510 gives me a lot more versatility. I've always found fairway to be a one trick pony but I have a lot more shots with a utility. Maybe I just haven't figured out how to hit them with the fairways - not sure. But I can do a lot with the utility, and since changing to the Ventus Blue, I've really pared down the dispersion.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* | HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60/6.5

Titleist U510 16* | Ventus Blue VeloCore 9X

Titleist T100 3-PW | KBS Tour 120S

Callaway Jaws MD5 52 | KBS Tour 120S

Callaway PM Grind 58* & 64* | KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Evnroll ER2B / 370G / Gravity Grip

I go driver (10.5*), 5 wood (18*), 5 iron (24*)...

Driver PING G400 Max // K15 (10.5*)

Fairway Wood Callaway Steelhead XR // GBB Hawk Eye (18*)

Fairway Woods Callaway Big Bertha Warbird (21*,24*)

Irons PING G400 (6,7)/i200 (8-UW) // ISI-S (5-SW)

Wedges PING Glide 2.0 Stealth ES (56*,60*) // Eye2 XG (60*)

Putter PING Karsten 1959 Anser X // Anser X (35")

Bag Datrek Superlite (Stand // Cart)

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

I did this on my trip to Scotland.   My UDI 2 iron subbed in for the 7 wood or hybrid I normally play.

My home course has long forced carries to firm greens on 3 of the 6 par 5's, and UDI is too long for the dogleg holes in the summer due to firm fairways.

I am a low to medium ball flight guy, so I am not a prime candidate anyway.

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS on Ventus Purple
  • 4 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*
  • Util - Srixon ZXU 18* on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX4 4 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-PW) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, Callaway MD5 54*, Cleveland Zipcore 60* Mid all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66 (Testing Odyssey V Line Tank @ 39" with split hands)
  • Ball - TP5 or Srixon Z Star 
Posted (edited)

I have a Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 18* hybrid between my driver and irons, and it works well. I used to have a 3wd and 5wd, but I ditched one of those two in favour of an extra wedge, because that's where the real scoring happens. 

I'm a long but often inaccurate hitter, so I very rarely need a club that has serious distance from the fairway...but if I need something other than a driver off the tee, I usually need it to be significantly shorter distance (usually use the hybrid on holes with doglegs or with significant trouble that can be reached with a driver).

I'd be okay with a 5wd instead of that hybrid, but my accuracy with the hybrid is slightly better than a fairway wood.

Edited by electroleum

Callaway Epic Flash ♦♦ w/Fujikura Fuel 60 // Callaway Epic Flash 3W w/GD Tour AD IZ-7 // Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 2H w/Diamana Blueboard //

Callaway X Forged 2018 4-PW w/PX Catalyst 100 // Callaway JAWS MD5 50* 54* 58* w/PX Catalyst 80 // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

I think it depends on why you play golf most often.  If you are in competition often, then as suggested find what is the most consistent for you and your playing style.  For me I cant imagine being 240-260 out on a par 5 and not going for it.  I play mostly recreationally and that is one of the most exciting shots for me to hit.  So in that train of thought I would never abandon my 3 wood as I cant hit a hybrid or long iron 250 yards like many here.