golf cart accident, should it be covered by Golf Course General Liability Insurance?

My buddy involved in a golf cart accident several weeks ago. When he realized he forgot the wedge at the last green, he turned back to look for it. Along the cart path, there was a very sharp turn where the tree and bushes made a bind spot, his cart knocked on to the cart drove by next group golfers. Both my friend and the other two golfers got some injuries, without any broken bone though. 

Now the other two golfers come to my buddy and request 6K of compensation, saying the golf course confirmed that my buddy drove on the wrong direction of one-way golf cart road. 

My question is should this accident covered by golf course GL Insurance? For the blind spot, does golf course need be responsible for it?

Thanks for your input. 

• Sad 1

If the accident was your buddy's fault, why would the golf course insurance cover it? It would up their rates.

• Like 3

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

LOL, apparently not a blind spot if you aren’t going the wrong way. 

Your buddy may have coverage through his own insurance while operating a rental, but should be talking to his insurer first and if coverage is an issue his attorney and not hoping for random internet answers based on incomplete facts. 

Unless it’s covered in the last revision. 

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

When we sign for a cart, the course is making us liable for cart damage,
which probably includes injuries that are our fault.     

When we have discussions about golf ball damage, some say the course 
has insurance, some say the golfers have to use their own homeowners ins.  

See if homeowners insurance covers it and the Ins Co will determine if 
the $ request is legit.   

My thought is if a cart crash is caused by a faulty cart, like a wheel falling off, 
then the course is responsible.    

• Like 1

Sounds like the next case on the docket here on Peoples Court. Ask judge Milian. She will say that your friend is in control of the golf cart and was probably not operating the cart in a safe speed specially since it sounds like your friend circled back to the holes you played previous meaning he drove through that proposed blind spot that your friend says was a part of the reason for him crashing. He probably took the turn at a higher speed than he should of in fear someone was going to pick up his wedge. We have all been there. The golf course will not cover your friend in that regard and he will be deemed negligent by judge Milian and your friend will probably have to bring it to small claims court if he doesnt want to pay. 

Edited by llewol007

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

12 hours ago, Gxhwh said:

My buddy involved in a golf cart accident several weeks ago. When he realized he forgot the wedge at the last green, he turned back to look for it. Along the cart path, there was a very sharp turn where the tree and bushes made a bind spot, his cart knocked on to the cart drove by next group golfers. Both my friend and the other two golfers got some injuries, without any broken bone though. 

Now the other two golfers come to my buddy and request 6K of compensation, saying the golf course confirmed that my buddy drove on the wrong direction of one-way golf cart road. 

My question is should this accident covered by golf course GL Insurance? For the blind spot, does golf course need be responsible for it?

Thanks for your input. 

Are there traffic signs indicating a one-way path? Or any other indication that those paths are one-way only? If not it sounds like both drivers are to blame.

As a referee I need to use the cart paths in every possible way I can and at least around here there is no prohibition whatsoever to drive cart paths in any direction.

If that would happen here and the parties could not settle the thing amongst themselves I believe the next step would be police inquiry and maybe court room. But no way the course would be liable for the damages as the cart drivers are responsible for the vehicle and potential damages caused to it and by it.

13 hours ago, Gxhwh said:

Thanks for your input. 

Unless the golf course has created (or intentionally ignored) unsafe conditions I have a hard time seeing how they would be at fault for the accident. 

Seems to me like both parties are at fault. Your buddy for not slowing down to make the blind spot turn and the same for the other people. 

The only time I've ever seen a true "one way" cart path is if it goes through a tunnel or over a bridge or something where only 1 cart can fit and there isn't room to pull off to the side. If they don't have signs indicating it's a one way then I don't think you could make the argument that it is one. 

Whats the $6K for in compensation?  Seems steep just for a little golf cart accident

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

2 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

Are there traffic signs indicating a one-way path? Or any other indication that those paths are one-way only? If not it sounds like both drivers are to blame.

As a referee I need to use the cart paths in every possible way I can and at least around here there is no prohibition whatsoever to drive cart paths in any direction.

If that would happen here and the parties could not settle the thing amongst themselves I believe the next step would be police inquiry and maybe court room. But no way the course would be liable for the damages as the cart drivers are responsible for the vehicle and potential damages caused to it and by it.

There is no any traffic sign on one-way drive. While, the manager of the golf club did say all the golf cart path is one-way drive, even though we've seen people drove both ways. 

1 hour ago, Abh159 said:

Unless the golf course has created (or intentionally ignored) unsafe conditions I have a hard time seeing how they would be at fault for the accident. 

Seems to me like both parties are at fault. Your buddy for not slowing down to make the blind spot turn and the same for the other people. 

My thoughts exactly!

30 minutes ago, Gxhwh said:

There is no any traffic sign on one-way drive. While, the manager of the golf club did say all the golf cart path is one-way drive, even though we've seen people drove both ways. 

The manager can "say" whatever he/she wants, but unless they have signs posted or the "one way" rule listed clearly for people to see that argument wouldn't hold up in court. 

If I were your buddy I wouldn't worry about it at all. It's a crappy situation, but from my perspective (which is just your side of the story) he wasn't at fault and it was just a wrong place wrong time sort of thing. Sure they can try to sue him, but I doubt it ever comes to that. If they felt they actually had a chance of getting anything out of it they would have already done that instead of trying to squeeze money out of him under the table. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abh159 said:

If I were your buddy I wouldn't worry about it at all. It's a crappy situation, but from my perspective (which is just your side of the story) he wasn't at fault and it was just a wrong place wrong time sort of thing. 

Three hours ago you wrote that both parties were at fault, which very much seems to be the case. What changed your mind?

Edited by Mr. Bean

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

Three hours ago you wrote that both parties were at fault, which very much seems to be the case. What changed your mind?

I just meant that he wasn't totally to blame. It's not the buddy's fault, it's not the other people's fault, and it's not the courses fault. Everyone shares the blame and no one deserves the blame. 

You can phrase it anyway you want. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

I just meant that he wasn't totally to blame. It's not the buddy's fault, it's not the other people's fault, and it's not the courses fault. Everyone shares the blame and no one deserves the blame. 

You can phrase it anyway you want. 

Wow! So that accident was nobody's fault??

Okay.

Just like a traffic accident. Two cars collide and nobody is to blame, they were just in a wrong place at a wrong time.

👏

Edited by Mr. Bean

Hadn’t he just driven on the same path going the other way so already knew about the “blind spot”? Regardless of signs wouldn’t he reasonably expect other golfers who didn’t randomly forget something to be proceeding the way they were proceeding and the way probably 95% of the traffic proceeds? Unsaid is the issue of him likely in a bit of a hurry as well. 

Same advice as before - turn it over to his carrier, go from there. 

Will be interested to hear how this ultimately turns out.  Seems to me that cart paths are almost always one way, though there are a couple of tunnels on a course I play that do have two-way traffic where I can easily see two carts colliding as one is exiting the tunnel as another enters, given the tunnels are only one-cart wide.  I would think the guys riding the cart in the expected direction, even if it isn't marked, would have a case, though I have no idea where the $6000 number is coming from.

Sad state of affairs. Guy hits another cart while back tracking on course - his bad. People threaten to sue for ????? (emotional damage)????? but will settle for "$6K". Their bad. Guy who made the mistake thinks some oneelse should take responsibility for his actions. 

• Like 1

First, my hunch is the “buddy” (or the OP) was in a hurry to get to his wedge and that he was reckless.

Second, the request for compensation sounds like a shakedown by a couple of dimwits.

Third, if this was real (or if all parties understood how the world really works), the situation would be handled by each party’s insurer. (I’m assuming that everyone involved is bright enough to have appropriate insurance coverage.)

Edited by JeffreySpicoli

1 hour ago, 2bGood said:

Sad state of affairs. Guy hits another cart while back tracking on course - his bad. People threaten to sue for ????? (emotional damage)????? but will settle for "$6K". Their bad. Guy who made the mistake thinks some oneelse should take responsibility for his actions. 

Pretty close to the situation. Lol

Several people have suggested that each party's insurer should handle this, but I'm curious as to which insurer you are referring to - homeowners, health, auto?  If I was involved in such a situation, I have no idea what insurer would be involved, other than my health insurance for any related medical expenses.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jordan2240 said:

Several people have suggested that each party's insurer should handle this, but I'm curious as to which insurer you are referring to - homeowners, health, auto?  If I was involved in such a situation, I have no idea what insurer would be involved, other than my health insurance for any related medical expenses.

Good point. I’m confused on this too.