how long does it take to play in HS golf team?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I joined GolfWRX because I was laid up after some medical problems and I was bored. Most of the threads are ho-hum but this one is oddly fascinating.  This thread is like a mini series: A well in

I have coached high school golf for 20 years, some years with a very competitive team, some years not; some as a head coach, some as an assistant.  Here's the advice I would give your son if he came t

OP it it clear that you care about your son and want him to be happy.  Given this, I want to point out some things that concern me and I hope you consider them.   What is your son's motivati

Posted Images

Not sure if this is a legit thread still or not but I'm in NOVA and live just up the street from Westfields and Twin Lakes. I've played Twin Lakes at the same time as the local HS team is playing so look into that course. Penderbrook is considered, while a shorter course, a hard course. It is very tight (I'm shocked he hit every fairway) and the greens are super fast in typical summer conditions. Westfield's is a great course but not worth the cost for a HS kid if both Twin Lakes courses are right up the street. Herndon is an "easier" course and I would recommend it for a HS kid. Laurel Hills is too hard for him. Remember, you don't want to discourage. Pleasant Valley is also forgiving.

If this is legit, look into Joshua Apple at VA Golf Center in Clifton. He coaches a lot of juniors and is on the George Mason Univ team and has a good grasp of what is necessary.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2021 at 3:08 PM, howaboutme said:

Not sure if this is a legit thread still or not but I'm in NOVA and live just up the street from Westfields and Twin Lakes. I've played Twin Lakes at the same time as the local HS team is playing so look into that course. Penderbrook is considered, while a shorter course, a hard course. It is very tight (I'm shocked he hit every fairway) and the greens are super fast in typical summer conditions. Westfield's is a great course but not worth the cost for a HS kid if both Twin Lakes courses are right up the street. Herndon is an "easier" course and I would recommend it for a HS kid. Laurel Hills is too hard for him. Remember, you don't want to discourage. Pleasant Valley is also forgiving.

If this is legit, look into Joshua Apple at VA Golf Center in Clifton. He coaches a lot of juniors and is on the George Mason Univ team and has a good grasp of what is necessary.

sorry I've been on work related travel, just got back this evening.

@howaboutme:  Are you referring to Twin Lakes or Twin Oaks?  Twin Lakes is much more forgiving than Twin Oaks.  My boy is very inconsistent so he can shoot a very good score one day and lousy score the next.  He did well at Penderbrook but bad at Blue Mash and Falls in MD.  We're in the Langley area so it takes about 35 mins to get to Twin Lakes and Westfields (without traffic).  My goal is for him to practice over the summer at Riverbend because that's where Langley HS will do the tryouts but unfortunately, it is hard to find Riverbend memebers to let my son play with them as guest.  My wife told me that she took him to play at Pinecrest golf course in Bradock yesterday, it has very narrow fairway, and he put every balls on the fairway.  Go figure.  This morning, when he played at Jefferson golf course, none of the ball hit the fairway, the ball landed in the water on hole 4 par 5.  He has ADHD so that might have something to do with the inconsistency.  We're new to the area and he doesn't have any friends so I am hoping that he can make the team and have friends.  Look like Langley has a very good golf team because it won the '16, '17, and '19 state 6A  championship, and probably in '21 too.  I guess having money does matter in golf 😉.

Edited by jrgolfer2021
23 minutes ago, jrgolfer2021 said:

@howaboutme:  Are you referring to Twin Lakes or Twin Oaks?  Twin Lakes is much more forgiving than Twin Oaks.  My boy is very inconsistent so he can shoot a very good score one day and lousy score the next.  He did well at Penderbrook but bad at Blue Mash and Falls in MD.  We're in the Langley area so it takes about 35 mins to get to Twin Lakes and Westfields (without traffic).  My goal is for him to practice over the summer at Riverbend because that's where Langley HS will do the tryouts but unfortunately, it is hard to find Riverbend memebers to let my son play with them as guest.  My wife told me that she took him to play at Pinecrest golf course in Bradock yesterday, it has very narrow fairway, and he put every balls on the fairway.  Go figure.  This morning, when he played at Jefferson golf course, none of the ball hit the fairway, the ball landed in the water on hole 4 par 5.  He has ADHD so that might have something to do with the inconsistency.  We're new to the area and he doesn't have any friends so I am hoping that he can make the team and have friends.  Look like Langley has a very good golf team because it won the '16, '17, and '19 state 6A  championship, and probably in '21 too.  I guess having money does matter in golf 😉.

When I say Twin Lakes, I mean the entire facility because that's what it is called. Yes, the Lakes course is more forgiving but less interesting. The Oaks is a bit hard, narrower fairways, a bit longer, etc but still not that hard compared to some other places. I would suggest you find 1 or 2 local courses (full length) your son likes that mimic Riverbend and just play them and get better, figure out course management, etc. Playing a new course each time may be more stressful for him because he's always learning the course, what to do, etc. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jrgolfer2021 said:

How is Mr. D1 doing? Does your son enjoy playing golf with him? Is he making some big IT sales in his new job role?

• Haha 2
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

How is Mr. D1 doing? Does your son enjoy playing golf with him? Is he making some big IT sales in his new job role?

Why don't you knock it off? There's a reason your prior post was deleted. At least two people reported it. Stop being an a**.

Edited by Mustard_Tiger
  • Like 1
On 6/8/2021 at 9:50 PM, howaboutme said:

When I say Twin Lakes, I mean the entire facility because that's what it is called. Yes, the Lakes course is more forgiving but less interesting. The Oaks is a bit hard, narrower fairways, a bit longer, etc but still not that hard compared to some other places. I would suggest you find 1 or 2 local courses (full length) your son likes that mimic Riverbend and just play them and get better, figure out course management, etc. Playing a new course each time may be more stressful for him because he's always learning the course, what to do, etc. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you @howaboutme.  I finally found out the inconsistencies in my son performance.  It is all "mental".  He confides in the D1 golfer that being around mom and dad on the golf course give him anxiety.  He prefers that the D1 golfer drive him to and from the golf course and for lessons.  My wife and I also stop asking him how he did after golf lessons and his round of golf.  That definitely seems to help.  He seems to do a whole lot better, much more relax at home when my wife or I don't take him to golf.  I guess it will play out on July 29th at Langley HS golf tryouts.

I ask the D1 golfer to report back to me about his progress every three days.  My son also meets a new girl and he really likes her.  The young lady and he are hanging out at the golf course and driving range everyday.  He said that having her around also calm down his anxiety. 

Will update this thread every few days.

• Haha 3
42 minutes ago, jrgolfer2021 said:

Thank you @howaboutme.  I finally found out the inconsistencies in my son performance.  It is all "mental".  He confides in the D1 golfer that being around mom and dad on the golf course give him anxiety.  He prefers that the D1 golfer drive him to and from the golf course and for lessons.  My wife and I also stop asking him how he did after golf lessons and his round of golf.  That definitely seems to help.  He seems to do a whole lot better, much more relax at home when my wife or I don't take him to golf.  I guess it will play out on July 29th at Langley HS golf tryouts.

I ask the D1 golfer to report back to me about his progress every three days.  My son also meets a new girl and he really likes her.  The young lady and he are hanging out at the golf course and driving range everyday.  He said that having her around also calm down his anxiety. 

Will update this thread every few days.

Very happy to hear this. It’s wonderful that D1 golfer is having a positive impact on your family.

Do keep us up to date on the young lady that’s now introduced to the story. The cast of characters is rounding out nicely!

• Haha 3

One more thought . . .

Is your son aware of this thread and that you’ve shared enough information that local high school kids—especially those on the his school’s golf team—will be able to identify him as soon as there are tryouts (if not sooner)?

It’s well-intentioned that you’re trying to help your son but you may end up hurting him in the short & long run as well as damaging your relationship with him.

Edited by JeffreySpicoli
  • Like 2

This has all the makings of a junior golfer tries really hard for a season, fails to reach their goal and quits the game. 

If supporting parents stress him out on the course, he's going to crumble during the tryout when the people he's playing with don't want him to do well. Golf gets a whole lot more difficult when you have people trying to rattle you.

• Thanks 1

Cobra SZX 10.5* // Smoke Yellow x-flex

Cobra SZX 15.5* // Smoke Yellow x-flex

TaylorMade SIM UDI 18* // Diamana Thump 100 x-flex

Titleist 755 4-PW // x100 

Titleist Vokey 250.10 // S300

Titleist Vokey SM5 54* // S300

Callaway JAWS 58* // S300

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined S 

3 hours ago, RCGA said:

This has all the makings of a junior golfer tries really hard for a season, fails to reach their goal and quits the game. 

If supporting parents stress him out on the course, he's going to crumble during the tryout when the people he's playing with don't want him to do well. Golf gets a whole lot more difficult when you have people trying to rattle you.

One of the reasons of stressing the tournament play during the summer.  Alot easier to play when everyone is in your camp.  Go to tryouts and first year kids with no experience are sweating bullets.

You can't only post your recommendations 50 times.  What do I know. 🤔

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

One of the reasons of stressing the tournament play during the summer.  Alot easier to play when everyone is in your camp.  Go to tryouts and first year kids with no experience are sweating bullets.

You can't only post your recommendations 50 times.  What do I know. 🤔

That really depends.  Some kids can handle pressures much better than others. 

Speaking from personal experience, I was at my HS tennis tryouts as a freshman in 2017 and I didn't know anyone on the tennis team.  However, that really did not matter because I ended up playing the #1 single position because I easily beat everyone on the team, I essentially destroyed both the #1 and #2 single players from the previous year.  The more people try to rattle me, the better player I become.

3 hours ago, adamscottmaster2013 said:

That really depends.  Some kids can handle pressures much better than others. 

Speaking from personal experience, I was at my HS tennis tryouts as a freshman in 2017 and I didn't know anyone on the tennis team.  However, that really did not matter because I ended up playing the #1 single position because I easily beat everyone on the team, I essentially destroyed both the #1 and #2 single players from the previous year.  The more people try to rattle me, the better player I become.

Golf is a completely different mental aspect than tennis.

1 hour ago, adamscottmaster2013 said:

How so? 

In tennis you are battling an opponent.  There is no time to think.  It is a reaction sport with offense and defense where preparing reactions is crucial.  

Golf there is no opponent.  The only opponent is what is inside of your head.

Comparing the two isn't even close.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, cadoipi said:

If your son was internally motivated to make the team, a lot of these things he would be doing himself.  He would be setting up a practice schedule for himself, finding good public courses to play, asking to be dropped off at a course early in the morning and only be picked up at sunset, talking to the D1 player himself about his game, making his own posts on golfwrx about what he needs to do to make the team, etc.

agree with a lot of what you mentioned except this part. sometimes it's tough to know what are the right things to do when you're doing something new. i wouldn't expect a kid who's never played competitive golf to map out a comprehensive plan of success and execute it. hell, i wouldn't expect this of most adults i know, and i'm not even sure it would yield the best results. 

having proper guidance can be a tremendous asset. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

agree with a lot of what you mentioned except this part. sometimes it's tough to know what are the right things to do when you're doing something new. i wouldn't expect a kid who's never played competitive golf to map out a comprehensive plan of success and execute it. hell, i wouldn't expect this of most adults i know, and i'm not even sure it would yield the best results. 

having proper guidance can be a tremendous asset. 

I agree with you in a vacuum, it would be unreasonable to expect the son to completely map out a comprehensive plan on his own. 

However in this situation the son is not starting from zero, so this is not what I was try to communicate.

1) Presumably the son is playing at least racquetball or soccer competitively.  Hence he should have some familiarity with the general concepts about how to improve at a sport in a competitive environment.  Likewise he is aware of the size of the undertaking it is to be competitive in a sport after only one year.

2) The son has on going access to the private coach and the D1 player, two excellent resources.  If the son was highly internally motivated to make the golf team this year, he should be taking some initiative towards asking them what it would take and how to make a plan for success.

Edited by cadoipi
2 minutes ago, cadoipi said:

I agree with you in a vacuum, it would be unreasonable to expect the son to completely map out a comprehensive plan on his own. 

However in this situation the son is not starting from zero, so this is not what I was try to communicate.

1) Presumably the son is playing at least racquetball or soccer competitively.  Hence he should have some familiarity with the general concepts about how to improve at a sport in a competitive environment.  Likewise he is aware of the size of the undertaking it is to be competitive in a sport after only one year.

2) The son has on going access to the private coach and the D1 player, two excellent resources.  If the son was highly internally motivated to make the golf team this year, he should be taking some initiative towards asking them what it would take and how to make a plan for success.

a lot of assumptions here. tournament golf is a different beast.

• Like 1

Let's assume the son was highly internally motivated to make the golf team this year.

Given the resources he has at his disposal, what proactive steps would you expect the son to make independently of his parents?  Did the father mention or give an indication that the son was doing these things? If the answer is no, then this is partially why I am concerned this goal is being directed by the father and the son is along for the ride out of a sense of obligation or fear of disappointing his father.

2 minutes ago, cadoipi said:

Let's assume the son was highly internally motivated to make the golf team this year.

Given the resources he has at his disposal, what proactive steps would you expect the son to make independently of his parents?  Did the father mention or give an indication that the son was doing these things? If the answer is no, then this is partially why I am concerned this goal is being directed by the father and the son is along for the ride out of a sense of obligation or fear of disappointing his father.

This is the stuff that epic stories are made of.

4 minutes ago, cadoipi said:

I understand what you are saying, but you are assuming too much.  Hate it when a thread becomes "I am going to give you parental advice on the internet threads."  There is no reason for you to be concerned.  #notyourkid

3 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

I understand what you are saying, but you are assuming too much.  Hate it when a thread becomes "I am going to give you parental advice on the internet threads."  There is no reason for you to be concerned.  #notyourkid

What am I assuming? And why are they incorrect assumption?