Midsize vs regular

Got941

I’m looking to change up my grip for the season I’ve been playing with go z cord last year but it tearing up my hand. I wear a cadet M titleist glove I have two wrap on the z cord was think about moving up to midsize but I’m not sure since I’ve play standard size only. What are the pro and con to moving up to mid size grip?

I made the switch earlier this year and am 20 rounds in. I will let someone who knows the technical side comment on that but I can comment on what I have seen from my switch. I feel as though my hands are more relaxed, more even grip pressure. The larger grip just like people who play larger putter grips for the same reason, limits wrist action. I can say that the grips have helped limit my wrist action and my miss now is a slight block rather then a over draw. Again performance is subject to swing but I have seen little things here and there that I would say is from the grip change.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Got941 said:

I’m looking to change up my grip for the season I’ve been playing with go z cord last year but it tearing up my hand. I wear a cadet M titleist glove I have two wrap on the z cord was think about moving up to midsize but I’m not sure since I’ve play standard size only. What are the pro and con to moving up to mid size grip?

There are no automatic pros or cons.  it's all about which feels more comfortable to you in your swing.  So what happens or how it effects the results will be 100% subjective.   Some people might even fit into different sizes for the woods as they do with the irons.    Try it out a single club and see how it feels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Got941 said:

I have to agree with Stuart.

One thing I will say is make sure to know what midsize you are looking at going into it.  Make sure to know what the butt diameter of your clubs are.  Some midsize is +1/16, some +1/32, there is really no consistency on grip sizing.  Z cords are .600 so with 2 extra wraps as you have stated, you are essentially looking for a Midsize +1/32 which would be an additional wrap under the grip.  

Try some different ones out.  You can't go wrong with standard GP Tour Velvet, but there are a lot of different options.   

• Like 2

Driver:  Taylor Made SIM 2 Max D w Ventus Blue 5🇺🇸 Shaft tipped 1 inch

Fairway Wood: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14* 3 Wood w PROformance 80g X Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22* 7 Wood w Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage 65g shaft tipped 1 inch
Irons:  Tommy Armour Silver Scot Blades 4-9 w AWT 2.0 X Shaft                      
Wedges:  Vokey SM6 - 46*, 52*, 56*   SM7 - 60* w AWT 2.0 X and AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex shafts

Grips:   Karma 360 Standard +2 
Putter:  Bastain Milled Fusion Golf Prototype 1 of 1 Flow Neck w Custom DTG Smoke Shaft @ 33.75" w Super Stroke Traxion GT 1.0
Ball:  Kirkland Signature V3.2

Bag: 2020 Ping Hoofer Lite

Glove: MG DynaGrip Elite

Totally person dependent, and grip dependent too.  I find the z cord midsize to be pretty small in the right hand compared to some other midsizes.  Try out a few!!!  Looks like golf stores are getting some grips again, there were tons at Dicks and golf galaxy when I went Sunday....so hopefully that's a nationwide trend

There's no set rules or guidelines. I use a mid size grip and I even put more wraps under it on my short irons and wedges, but I use a medium glove. To me, a larger grip makes the club feel more secure in my hand and I feel like I'll be less likely to pull/hook the ball.

Grip is all about preference, which requires trial and error.

D - Ping G4410+ 9*| Ventus Black 6x

3w - Ping G410* @15.5*| Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x

3h - Ping G410 19* | EvenFlow Black 85X or 5w - Cobra SZ 18.5* @20* | Accra FX2.0 380 M5

4h - 818 H2 23* | Ventus Blue 10x

5-GW Cobra Forged CB | Modus 120X

W - SM8 54/12 & 58/8 @59* | S400 Ti

P - Phantom 5.5 or Newport 2 Special Select

Ball - ProV1x

Learn how to regrip yourself. Plenty of threads on how to do this. It'll be a total game changer. You can try any grip you please!

I switched to midsize years back and won't ever use standard again. I wear L glove, standard just feels like it's going to fly out of my hands if I don't grip super hard. Much more natural now. 

Ping G400 Max 9*// Ping Tour 65 S -Trialing G425 Max with Ventus 6x-
Titleist 915f 16.5* // Diamana 70 S
Ping G25 Hybrid 20* // TFC 189F S
Mizuno 919 Forged 4-GW // KBS Tour V 110 S
Ping Glide 3.0 56.14* WS / SM7 Raw 60.04* // S200
SWAG Tour "Snacks" H1 // SS Flatso 1.0

I go ZCord MID 1+1, love the feel as with a Standard my grip pressure was way too tight. If you are worried about tearing up gloves, I suggest getting properly fit for a glove (yes that is a thing). Us mortals aren't so lucky to get a new glove for every round of golf.

I used to be in a Large size that fit perfect new and just ran through gloves because after 1 round it would stretch too much (loose fabric is a killer of golf gloves). So I moved to a Medium and it was way too small. I finally took the time and looked through the FJ website and their "fitting suggestions" for the normal player.

I currently use a FJ StaSof Cadet ML and its perfect. That size is Overly tight brand new and stretches out great over time. I usually replace it once holes develop after 6-9 months.

TMag SIM 9 | M5 15

Titleist TS2 19 | U510 3 | C16 4 | T100 5-50

Vokey SM6 58.12S

Odyssey Black 1W

VICE Pro Drip

My glove size is the same as yours and I've found the midsize grips work much better for me than regulars.  As noted above by several posters, just allows me a softer grip on the clubs.  I'm using GP Tour Velvets in midsize.  

SIM2 Autoflex 505
Epic 15*
Sub70 3 hybrid
Sub70 5 hybrid or Mavrik 7 wood

Apex 21 irons  5-gap 
54* SM8
Sub70 JB low bounce 58*
PXG Operator H

I just switched back from Midsize. I wear a Cadet M/L glove I like it as tight as possible. I typically have played well with standard size grips and between 2-3 extra wraps. I made the switch to midsize and forgot that I have tried this Midsize experiment many times and my left hand just doesn't feel comfortable. Right hand is fine with the midsize. So I went back to standard tour velvet +4's with 2 extra wraps and it felt much better. I won't stray anymore. 

**WITB as of 6/14/21****

Taylormade SIM 2 - 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6X tipped 1.5" playing at 45" D5 SW Hotmelt added to head

Taylormade SIM 2 MAX - 15* Ventus Blue 7X Tipped 2" playing at 43" D5 SW Bent Flat and hot melted

Taylormade SIM 2 MAX Hybrid - 19* Ventus Blue HB 9X 

Callaway 21' X-Forged UT 18* - Ventus Blue HB 9X / 2* Flat (+1* loft)

Srixon ZX-7 KBS $-Taper 130X 4i-PW

Vokey SM8 KBS 610 Wedge 125S+ 50F/54D/58D
Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4 standard + 2 wraps
TaylorMade TP Soto 33.5” with Super Stroke Pistol GTR 2.0 - 

I tried midsize with cadet hands, gave me tennis elbow. Took me awhile to figure out it was the grips and not my workouts that caused it. Switched back to standard on a whim, elbow healed. Im probably an outlier, but dont dive right in to midsize with small hands. Do one club, don't over do practice.

I have experimented dozens of times on this topic.  For some reason, I have landed on standard grip with 2-3 wraps in my driver, 4W, SW and LW.  Midsize in everything else.  For the driver, I feel like i can get around on the ball easier with regular, feel like i compress the ball better on iron shots with midsize and feel like i have more touch with wedges in standard.  The chart above has been really helpful to me in the past as well. Good luck!

Driver:     TSI3 9* AV White Raw 65X/Motore X F1 75X 
Fairway:  TSI2 15* AV White Raw 75X
Hybrid:    816 H1 21* HB 8.8 Tour Spec S, 818 H1 25* Rogue MSI 85H

Irons:       Srixon 585 6-PW Modus 125X
Wedges:  RTX Zip 50M, RTX4 56F, RTX Zip 60L/all S400
Putter:     Mizuno M Craft VI

If you go to the Ping website (pinggolf.com) and click on "blogs", there are some really interesting studies they have done, and one of them is on the effect of different grip sizes - https://ping.com/en-us/blogs/proving-grounds/the-effect-of-grip-on-driver-flight

Their findings suggest that the weight of the grip has more of an impact on the swing in the end than the size of the grip.  They theorize that when people get different results from going to a larger grip, it has more to do with adding additional weight (total, and to the grip end) than from just being a different size.

Ping g425 Max 12/Tensei orange 55
Ping g410 4h & 5h hybrids/Tensei blue

Callaway 2016 Apex 6-P/Elevate 95

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 58 

TP Mills Sycamore/Spaulding TPM VIII/Bellum Winmore 787 Tie-Fighter/TP Mills Nellie