Driver data, fitter says work on my swing, what say you?

I had a driver fitting 2 weeks ago since that has been a struggle with my game. I am currently in an EF SZ ((8 head lofted down 1*) with a Tensei Orange pro 6S tipped 1" playing at 44.5". This was part of an experiment for me to gain consistency from the tee as i was all over the place with my 45.5" setup. After some tweaks the fitter suggested with my swing, ball placement and tee height, these were my numbers and they said that my setup is just fine for my game. My transition was deemed very aggressive by the fitter. What I worry about is that I am not getting the distance I am capable of and am wondering what others would do in this situation. Would others go for a second opinion? Would anyone recommend a different head shaft combo.

image.png.3100a404b4e427e2e0bb8608ca10deae.png

image.png.d27495b9d3798390fffa945042a31bc0.png

IMG_3582.jpg.476cb64ed717205f8db3b8a306f41e43.jpg

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ with  Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"

2H: Callaway Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: Sub70 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: Putter: TAII #2  (Testing SIK DW 2.0 35" double bend)

Ball: Snell MTB-X

Tracked by Arccos

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a word about your fitter. I think he did you a solid by not trying to sell you on some shaft or another that seemed to buy you a few yards instead of suggesting you hold off until you get your co

Wow that impact pattern

Consistent impact and delivery (dynamic loft) is definitely your biggest problems and what is keeping you from getting better distance out of your swing speed.   Yes, that is largely a swing issue - q

Posted Images

Looking at how inconsistent and wide spread the averages are. I would focus on becoming more consistent swing. Could spend 1k on new driver that might help slightly, but i feel untill more consistent impact pattern will be hard to judge. I have my driver fitting tomorrow so mine could look just like this 

• Thanks 2
Just now, Stuart_G said:

Consistent impact and delivery (dynamic loft) is definitely your biggest problems and what is keeping you from getting better distance out of your swing speed.   That is largely a swing issue.   It's possible you might get some more improvement from some equipment changes but there is no guarantee.   Going down in length was a good first step but you may have to go further or possibly play around with shaft weight and head weight.    The last time you dropped down the length did you do anything with the head weight?

Fortunately you don't need another fitting to figure that out.   You can do it yourself with some more foot powder spray some lead tape and a bucket of balls.

Y

Yes I did adjust the head weight. After the fitting, I also added a heavier front weight but didn’t hit it with the Tensei. Used a pro 2.0 TS 7x. Will try to get out soon with that config with the Tensei. 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Tracked by Arccos

2 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

dynamically?  while hitting balls using foot powder spray (as outlined in the link I provided) or just based on swing weight value?

just swingweight. should revisit the dynamic adjustments.

Tracked by Arccos

1 minute ago, Rbsiedsc said:

just swingweight. should revisit the dynamic adjustments.

Yes.  Forget swing weight values and follow the directions in the link and see what happens.   It's not magic so I'm not sure I'd expect a lot of improvement - but it still might help a little and you never know.

If nothing else, you should practice more with the foot powder spray and consciously work on improving the impact location and consistency.  Personally I think it's always better with the help of a good pro but some people prefer to try and dig it out of the dirt themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, North Butte said:

Just a word about your fitter. I think he did you a solid by not trying to sell you on some shaft or another that seemed to buy you a few yards instead of suggesting you hold off until you get your consistency issues sorted. A lot of fitters wouldn't have let that stand in the way of suggesting a $700 driver/shaft upgrade!

I totally agree on this. Appreciate you also pointing this out. My only reason for pointing this out is i shared my data with someone else and they recommended that my shaft and head were not ideal for my golf goals.

Tracked by Arccos

45 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

What I worry about is that I am not getting the distance I am capable of and am wondering what others would do in this situation. Would others go for a second opinion? Would anyone recommend a different head shaft combo.

As others have said, you need to work on your swing.

Random internet advice follows.

Are you teeing the ball high and trying to hit up on it? If yes, I'd suggest teeing it lower and trying to make consistent contact. For me, when I try to hit up on the ball my face contact starts to look like yours because my I can't keep a consistent spine angle.

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Srixon ZXU #2 : Recoil 95 F4

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54: Nippon Modus2 120/125 S 

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125 Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

3 minutes ago, farmer said:

With an average SS of 103, is tipped xtra stiff the best choice?  Clearly a swing issue here, but your shaft can't be helping.

If he's specifically trying to swing harder or transitioning more aggressive because he thinks he needs to to "load the shaft properly"  (I hate that phrase) then it's possible it could be hurting.   If that's just his natural rhythm and tempo, then no, the shaft isn't likely hurting.

However, I would assume that he had spent some time during the fitting testing other shafts that weren't as stiff.  If the stiffness was causing some problems than it should have shown up in the results when testing those (relatively) softer options.

• Like 3

As a fitter, I have told more than my fair share of potential customers that lessons would be a better investment in their game.  Your fitter did a good thing by not selling you a driver that you likely would have similar issues controlling.  The consistency of impact is the biggest area for improvement.  At 103 mph swing speed and a smash of 1.45, you would average 149 mph ball speed.  At 139, the efficiency is not there.  This will come from lessons and working on the above DIY drills.  The potential is there, just need to get the consistency in impact, which will lead to better ball speed and a better spin range.  Best of luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Titleist TSi3 10* (B1 setting) Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x

TM M6 Tour Issue 15* Project X HandCrafted EvenFlow Blue 75g 6.5
PXG Gen 1 0317X 19* Accra TZ6 85H M5 or TM OG UDI 18* Project X LZ 6.0

PXG Gen 3 0311P 4i, 0311T 5-P Project X LZ 6.0 (1*weak)

PXG Gen 2 SugarDaddy 50.10* Project X LZ 6.0

TM MyHiToe Raw 56.10* (Bent to 55.09*) KBS $Taper Black 130

PXG Gen 2 SugarDaddy 60.07* DG Tour Issue S400

TM Spider X 34"

TM TP5x '21 (#10)

1 minute ago, Stuart_G said:

If he's specifically trying to swing harder or transitioning more aggressive because he thinks he needs to to "load the shaft properly"  (I hate that phrase) then it's possible it could be hurting.   If that's just his natural rhythm and tempo, then no, the shaft isn't likely hurting.

However, I would assume that he had spent some time during the fitting testing other shafts that weren't as stiff.  If the stiffness was causing some problems than it should have shown up in the results when testing those (relatively) softer options.

So in this fitting I actually did not test anything else. When i was prior fit to this driver, it was with a different fitter that told me i needed a low spin head (never tried one so ordered the EF SZ off of the Bay as reccommended by fitter). He then had me try the Fuji Pro 63 XS and said you like that shaft, looks good for you.

I have yet to try any other heads during a fitting and that is why I initially went for this one but trusted this fitter (he fit my irons in August) that my setup is fine for me.

3 minutes ago, jvincent said:

As others have said, you need to work on your swing.

Random internet advice follows.

Are you teeing the ball high and trying to hit up on it? If yes, I'd suggest teeing it lower and trying to make consistent contact. For me, when I try to hit up on the ball my face contact starts to look like yours because my I can't keep a consistent spine angle.

Fitter actually told me to tee it higher and place the ball more forward in my stance and then stand slightly farther away from the ball.

Tracked by Arccos

2 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Fitter actually told me to tee it higher and place the ball more forward in my stance and then stand slightly farther away from the ball.

Higher is good for optimizing launch/spin, especially with a low lofted head. Not good for impact consistency for me.

I'll trade off the occasional bomb for dramatically improved consistency.

• Like 4

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Srixon ZXU #2 : Recoil 95 F4

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54: Nippon Modus2 120/125 S 

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125 Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

20 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

I totally agree on this. Appreciate you also pointing this out. My only reason for pointing this out is i shared my data with someone else and they recommended that my shaft and head were not ideal for my golf goals.

The fitter was correct in their advice to work on your swing and that's not meant as an insult by any means.  Golf is hard.  The advice above is also correct, at least right now.  I wouldn't worry about the Tensei shaft but that head not ideal.  Low spin heads have their place but are best served for very consistent ball strikers.  An LS head at 7*-8* loft is generally best reserved for a high ball speed players.  I'd suggest looking for a more neutral head (standard or max) with middle of the road loft setting, i.e. 9*-10* and go to work on your swing.  Once you gain some consistency, revisit the driver fitting.  Working on your swing with your current head may be counterproductive given how demanding it may be to produce a usable ball flight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

I had a driver fitting 2 weeks ago since that has been a struggle with my game. I am currently in an EF SZ ((8 head lofted down 1*) with a Tensei Orange pro 6S tipped 1" playing at 44.5". This was part of an experiment for me to gain consistency from the tee as i was all over the place with my 45.5" setup. After some tweaks the fitter suggested with my swing, ball placement and tee height, these were my numbers and they said that my setup is just fine for my game. My transition was deemed very aggressive by the fitter. What I worry about is that I am not getting the distance I am capable of and am wondering what others would do in this situation. Would others go for a second opinion? Would anyone recommend a different head shaft combo.

image.png.3100a404b4e427e2e0bb8608ca10deae.png

image.png.d27495b9d3798390fffa945042a31bc0.png

IMG_3582.jpg.476cb64ed717205f8db3b8a306f41e43.jpg

Until you are able to hit the club in the center more consistently, you need to work on your swing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Titleist TSi3 w/Oban Kiyoshi White 6X 
Titleist TSi2 15 degree w/Accra TZ6 75 M5

Titleist TSi2 21 degree w/Accra TZ6 75 M5 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 w/KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard

Srixon ZX7 7-PW w/KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard
Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw 50/54/58 KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard
Toulon Las Vegas custom w/BGT Tour 

Honestly man I think a big issue with this is the shaft you are using. At your swing speed and attack angle I would say you need to stick in the stiff range of things. Sorry if I am wrong, but it looks like you were saying that you play an X flex, and honestly that might be causing some of your consistency issues because its not letting the head deliver through the ball because you aren't getting the action you would need out of that tip. 

This is definitely a swing issue with what you have posted, but I do see a slight equipment issue as well. 

• Like 3

D - Callaway Epic Speed LS Triple Diamond 9* (8.7* Actual, 57* lie) @ NS w/ Aldila ATX Tour Green 75TX Prototype 45.50" (D4)

3W - Callaway Epic Speed 3+ Wood w/ Aldila Synergy Green '21 Proto 75tx 42.50" (D4)

2H - Cobra King Tec 2 Hyrbid 17* @ 16* Draw setting w/ Diamana Thump ii 100x 42.00" (D4) || 3H - Taylormade SIM2 Max Rescue w/ Veylix Arcane Prototype 100tx 42.00" (D4)

5W - Callaway Epic Speed MAX 5 Wood w/ Aldila Synergy Green '19 Proto 80tx 42.00" (D4)

7W - Taylormade AeroBurner TP 5HL w/ Aldila Synergy Green 80tx Proto '19 42.00" (D4)

2i - Taylormade P790 UDI 2 w/ Project X 6.5 @ 16* 42.00" (D5) || 3i - Taylormade Tour Preferred UDI 3 w/ Project X 6.5 41.50" (D5)

Irons - Taylormade '20 P770s 4-9 w/ Project X 7.0 Ryder Cup Edition (D5)

Wedges - Anthem 48* @ 46*TR, 50*TR, 54*TR @ 56*, 60*NR @ 62* Wedges w/ Project X Rifle 6.5 (D6)

Grips - Golf Pride MCC Teams Blue/White Grips 1+2 logo down

Putter - Cobra 3D Printed Agera Mallet - 35", Superstroke Traxion Tour 3.0 w/ Arccos 

My useless random internet guy,

You need to work on your efficiency.

103 swing speed averages,  139.8 ball speed average is 1.39 efficiency.  max Efficiency is 1.5.  This means at max efficiency you should be getting 154mph of ball speed. Which you are no where near. If at worse you should be getting at least 1.45 that 149mph of ball speed,  You strike pattern is evident

Next is your launch window.  I am about this swing speed.

150ish ball speeds you should be looking at 250carry with any regularity.

15* launch angle and 2200rpms of swing. As a launch window data. Your spin is too high and your launch is high its not bad but likely not optimal as an everyday shot. Here is what you could have with an efficient every day strike 

image.png.57bbdf78e345fb374dc22df1ed66d580.png

This is what you have now, So much potential left on the table

image.png.c3b91c12de50aaeb6f1d53b55c83d3d0.png

24y of carry left on the table

26y of potential total distance left on the table.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70 - PW-8MBs, 7-4 CBs  PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S300
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Just now, jmorrow020 said:

Honestly man I think a big issue with this is the shaft you are using. At your swing speed and attack angle I would say you need to stick in the stiff range of things. Sorry if I am wrong, but it looks like you were saying that you play an X flex, and honestly that might be causing some of your consistency issues because its not letting the head deliver through the ball because you aren't getting the action you would need out of that tip. 

This is definitely a swing issue with what you have posted, but I do see a slight equipment issue as well. 

Continuing with this.  As I didnt want my first post to get too long.

1) Specs.    Xstiff fujikura pro 63 & Tensei Orang pro S tipped.  Trying to really beef up the stiffness.

1a) Shaft stiffness is generally how you load the shaft,   If you are not loading you are not getting the head to the ball efficiently.

1b) Shaft weight, is generally the tempo of your swing, the faster tempo, the heavier, the more deliberate the lighter you could go.

2) Super generic schools of thoughts to try.  Go heavier shaft since you say your swing is aggressive, pop in a couple of 70gram shafts to slow the tempo.  

2a)  Go to a stiff vs Xstiff shaft.   And get it out of your head that you can swing Xstiff for now.  Just swing so you can INCREASE your efficiency it is VERY VERY low.

Launch is ok but also maybe a lower spinning shaft as well.  Attack angle is good at 4.1 means you are hitting up.  But still spinning too much.

GL OP!

• Thanks 1

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

1 hour ago, Exactice808 said:

Continuing with this.  As I didnt want my first post to get too long.

1) Specs.    Xstiff fujikura pro 63 & Tensei Orang pro S tipped.  Trying to really beef up the stiffness.

1a) Shaft stiffness is generally how you load the shaft,   If you are not loading you are not getting the head to the ball efficiently.

1b) Shaft weight, is generally the tempo of your swing, the faster tempo, the heavier, the more deliberate the lighter you could go.

2) Super generic schools of thoughts to try.  Go heavier shaft since you say your swing is aggressive, pop in a couple of 70gram shafts to slow the tempo.  

2a)  Go to a stiff vs Xstiff shaft.   And get it out of your head that you can swing Xstiff for now.  Just swing so you can INCREASE your efficiency it is VERY VERY low.

Launch is ok but also maybe a lower spinning shaft as well.  Attack angle is good at 4.1 means you are hitting up.  But still spinning too much.

GL OP!

Thanks. I will say i have also experimented with a fuji pro 2.0 TS 7X which from a weight perspective felt great  but I really think was way too stout for me. With that weight, i didnt feel like my swing was loose.

Tracked by Arccos

He is correct. Looking at your low smash factors. You should be getting a lot more out of 100+ mph swing speed. 

Just look at your heights of ball flight anywhere from 50-148 ft high and that's with him taking out the bad ones. 

• Like 1

TM Sim Ventus Blue Velocore 6x
Ping G410 plus 3 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno MP20 Nippon Modus 120
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM6 52,56 SM7 60
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/940075-davids-bag-and-golf-room/"]WITB Link[/url]

4 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Thanks. I will say i have also experimented with a fuji pro 2.0 TS 7X which from a weight perspective felt great  but I really think was way too stout for me. With that weight, i didnt feel like my swing was loose.

Get off the X stiff train,  If you thought a made for Fuji pro TS X is too stiff,  again try out a couple of "Stiff" shafts just to see.  I will say this, your swing doesnt have much feel, in regards to efficiency in generally. You need to find something that is getting you 1.45-1.50 smash factors to which you are no where near.

• Like 2

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I think you have a lot of courage posting this here. I think most of the posters here have been quite fair though. 

I'm about a 20 handicap and don't have great impact spots using the foot spray either, but generally can keep it in play ok. I'd suggest you focus on hitting is straighter rather than farther.  If your carry + roll on decent hits is 250 you have plenty of distance to play most courses. 

My work league is a 2,950 yard par 36 and most of the guys are not hitting it 250 regularly, but there are quite a few guys who are shooting high 30s/low 40s every week.  They may not bomb it, but they certainly aren't hitting it OB either, are always on the green or around it in regulation, and have a reasonable short game. 

Dave

• Like 3

I'm definitely in agreement with the advice here re: swing and efficiency issues. Your numbers are all over the map, and predictably so is your strike location. That all needs to be tightened up if you want more out of your driver, and out of your game in general. 

I could hazard a guess as to your swing issues based on your strike pattern, but would much rather see a video of your swing if possible. You could either post it here or over in the Swing Videos & Comments section for some feedback. 

9 hours ago, North Butte said:

Just a word about your fitter. I think he did you a solid by not trying to sell you on some shaft or another that seemed to buy you a few yards instead of suggesting you hold off until you get your consistency issues sorted. A lot of fitters wouldn't have let that stand in the way of suggesting a $700 driver/shaft upgrade!

Agreed, I wouldn't hesitate to continue going to a guy that gave it to you straight like this. 

9 hours ago, jvincent said:

Higher is good for optimizing launch/spin, especially with a low lofted head. Not good for impact consistency for me.

I'll trade off the occasional bomb for dramatically improved consistency.

I did much the same with my driver setup as I found that any gains from teeing it high and hitting up were immediately erased if the strike quality suffered even a little bit, ESPECIALLY lower in the head. I found the same as you in that strike quality became significantly better and more consistent when teeing the ball lower, using a shallower faced driver, and really trying to stay neutral through the ball while maintaining those spine angles. 

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* HZRDUS T1100 95g
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 19* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Exactice808 said:

Sorry but this one is 100% incorrect.   Amount of loading and unloading of the shaft has nothing (objectively) to do with the efficiency of the swing or impact.  The concept that the shaft loading can add to the club head speed or ball speed has been debunked for quite a while now.   The fact is that there is no ideal amount of loading outside of the subjective judgement of the player of how much the shaft loads compared to how much they expect it to load.   Matching that expectation is what will typically end up giving the most efficient swing regardless of what that expectation might be.

So the only way the stiffness of the shaft can be a part of the problem for the op is if the loading feel is not matching his particular expectations and that mismatch is causing him to change his swing to force the shaft to load more than it is.  And if that extra force or effort adds excessive tension or muscle use then the swing can become less efficient.  And less efficient doesn't even necessarily mean less club head speed.  More typically that type of response to the feel being off effects face control and release timing and shot shape - although all types of different effects are possible.

Believe it or not but there are plenty of people out there that don't want to feel any loading and do better with a shaft that's stiffer than what would be normal for their swing speed and transition.   Don't know if the OP is one of those but he hasn't given any evidence to support that the issue really is or is not the shaft stiffness.  But the fact that two different fitters he's seen has put him in an x-stiff shaft makes it unlikely.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 3
Posted (edited)

As stated, you have some swing issues. While getting fit for a shaft that feels good for you, I disagree that 'stiffness' is the main culprit here. At 100-103 mph, seeing < 148 mph ball speeds means super inefficient strikes.  Generally that is an S but so many people will swing an X just fine, some folks will prefer an R. EF head and face retain pretty decent ball speed off center (you want heavy weight back however, if for some reason you have heavy forward you are doing yourself a dis-service: move it back!) 

Not sure if it was asked: do you have say a 42 or 43" 5 wood? How is your strike with that and powder?  I have both a 45 and 45.5" shaft and even the 1/2 I can see with powder its a smidge harder to control for me so with what I see above curious if your strike is much more controlled with a shorter shaft or you really just need to get a buy 4 get the 5th free package from a good pro. 

I've been working with a pro for a few years to revamp my swing btw....am in the 100-105 range so big believer in both instruction and properly fit gear. 😄 

Edited by bvanlieu
  • Like 2