Jump to content

Center shafted putters


jomatty
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’ve got this guy heading my way as well as a white hot pro 7cs.  Hopefully this strokes gained is the winner as I’m digging the weld neck.  
 

what sort of grip do you guys like on your center shafts?  I’ve usually used the lamkin deep etch cord or pistol grips but it seems like most favor more of a straight grip on center shaft sticks.  

48B40DAF-3C70-4178-88D8-B21B8ACE3EF2.jpeg

854D1F21-7569-4E71-B521-E67F5AF9B3F8.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

The Cleveland Huntington Beach series also has a Center-shaft #7-style

 

60512A7A-7036-4728-8140-E700FCAA842C.jpeg

 

This is what I'm gaming right now and really like it. Great value for what you're getting with the HB SOFT line.

  • Like 1

Driver: Callaway B21 10.5* Driver w/ Project X Evenflow Black X-Stiff

Wood: Ping G410 SFT 16* 3-wood w/ Alta CB Stiff

Irons: Srixon z585 2i, 4-AW w/ Modus 120x

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Rack Raw RTX Zipcore 56.12 & 60.10 w/ Modus 125 wedge

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG #1WS w/ Stroke Lab

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Jroot327 said:

 

This is what I'm gaming right now and really like it. Great value for what you're getting with the HB SOFT line.

I cannot find a #7 center shaft for the life of me!

Driver G410 LST 10.5* Ventus Velocore Blue 6x
Fairway G410 3-wood Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide 3.0’s 51*, 55*eye2 grind, 60* +3/4

Putter Ping Tyne C 34”

Ball Snell mtb-x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Cliffy2020 said:

I cannot find a #7 center shaft for the life of me!

 

Does Cleveland make a #7? If you meant #8, I'm not sure they ever made that center shafted. If you find one I'll bet its sweet!

Driver: Callaway B21 10.5* Driver w/ Project X Evenflow Black X-Stiff

Wood: Ping G410 SFT 16* 3-wood w/ Alta CB Stiff

Irons: Srixon z585 2i, 4-AW w/ Modus 120x

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Rack Raw RTX Zipcore 56.12 & 60.10 w/ Modus 125 wedge

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG #1WS w/ Stroke Lab

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Jroot327 said:

 

Does Cleveland make a #7? If you meant #8, I'm not sure they ever made that center shafted. If you find one I'll bet its sweet!

My bad. I meant 11

 

62AA2284-10B0-4C4C-B8AF-C3054B2FD2E5.jpeg

  • Like 1

Driver G410 LST 10.5* Ventus Velocore Blue 6x
Fairway G410 3-wood Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide 3.0’s 51*, 55*eye2 grind, 60* +3/4

Putter Ping Tyne C 34”

Ball Snell mtb-x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

In my experience there are two types of center shaft putters. First, those that intersect putter head at the center of the top line (Cleveland, Nike), always leaves me feeling more on top of the ball, and encouraging more of a SBST stroke.  My preference is for a CS putter where the shaft angle to the center of the sole (Bettinardi, SeeMore, Odyssey, Scotty), appearing slightly off center at the top line.  More toe hang and flatter lie angle will encourage a more arcing stroke; face balanced and upright, less arc.  I putt cross handed with a slight to moderate arc, so a little bit of toe hang usually fits me well.  Otherwise, try not to get too hung up on head shape.

 

My current lineup:

Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

Byron Morgan Channel Island Starshot

Carbon Bandit

Piretti Cottonwood 2

Piretti Teramo

SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange (current gamer)

Yes! Pippi-12 Black

Yes! Sally-12 Mid

 

4C19C2A3-7214-4EAD-A180-E8BA6315E00C.jpeg
 

Prior gamers:

Bettinardi iNOVAi 3.0

Bettibardi Kuchar 2HM

Scotty Cameron GoLo s5

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7

Edited by jbrunk
  • Like 1

Fall 2021

Cobra King F6+ 1W 10.5° (orange) Diamana D+ 62

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4W 16.5° Rogue White 70

Callaway Mavrik Pro 3Hy KBS Hybrid 80

Callaway Apex 19 4Hy 23° EvenFlow Black 85

Callaway 2018 X-Forged 5i-7i / Apex MB 8i-PW Modus 120

Mizuno S18 51.08 56.10 60.10 DG Wedge

Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 CS / Piretti Cottonwood II CS

 

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2021 at 8:40 AM, jomatty said:

I’ve been on a mission lately to find a putter that helps me see the line straight.  My eyes are cross dominant and it makes it very difficult for me to see the line on putts around 5-6 feet (or at least the cross dominance is what I’m blaming).  Shorter putts I seem to do ok on as there is more margin for error and longer putts I feel fairly comfortable.  People had suggested center shafted putters but I have been somewhat resistant as I don’t care for the look.  Anyways, I borrowed one from a buddy and quickly got past my aesthetic issue.  I am finally am seeing the line much better.

 

The putter I borrowed is an old white hot xg #8.  This is not a good looking putter, at least to my eye, but it is making a lot of putts.  Surely I can do better...I don’t really have a preference on insert versus milled so am fairly open.  Part of me wants to stick to a fairly narrow head shape, as the #8 is working so well.  The other part likes fang style putters so is considering the 2021 ping Tyne c.  The sigma 2 Kushin C also looks good.  Bettanardi has a few good looking options, as well as Evnroll.  
 

Are there any others that I should be looking at?  I know some people swear by Seemore, but the appearance does not appeal to me much.  That said, I will get over it if the ball is rolling well.  There is nowhere near me to demo any of these so it’s gonna be a shot in the dark.  Worst case I’ll sell it and try again.  

Anyways, what are you guys favorite center shaft models?

 

 

IMG_1260.JPG

IMG_8229.JPG

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jbrunk said:

In my experience there are two types of center shaft putters. First, those that intersect putter head at the center of the top line (Cleveland, Nike), always leaves me feeling more on top of the ball, and encouraging more of a SBST stroke.  My preference is for a CS putter where the shaft angle to the center of the sole (Bettinardi, SeeMore, Odyssey, Scotty), appearing slightly off center at the top line.  More toe hang and flatter lie angle will encourage a more arcing stroke; face balanced and upright, less arc.  I putt cross handed with a slight to moderate arc, so a little bit of toe hang usually fits me well.  Otherwise, try not to get too hung up on head shape.

 

My current lineup:

Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

Byron Morgan Channel Island Starshot

Carbon Bandit

Piretti Cottonwood 2

Piretti Teramo

SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange (current gamer)

Yes! Pippi-12 Black

Yes! Sally-12 Mid

 

4C19C2A3-7214-4EAD-A180-E8BA6315E00C.jpeg
 

Prior gamers:

Bettinardi iNOVAi 3.0

Bettibardi Kuchar 2HM

Scotty Cameron GoLo s5

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7

How do you like the SeeMore? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Misc1600 said:

How do you like the SeeMore? 

Love it!  It’s been in the bag all season, if that says anything.  I’d used previous models (SB-2, mFGP, PTM3), so I’m accustomed to the zero offset and RST; no forward press.

The Mini Giant is a bit oversize, on the heavy side, and quite high MOI. The copper weights are sharp and make it very stable. Feel of the milled aluminum is on the middle to firm side, definitely not clicky (I play TP5). Not as soft as deep milled carbon, not as firm as light milled stainless.

F348430F-07A2-4AEE-83E5-7938959C6400.jpeg

7485C2D6-206B-4B36-BD63-5EF05DB200AA.jpeg

A13CD63E-8474-4BE8-A6C9-FE03DAB5C9FF.jpeg

Fall 2021

Cobra King F6+ 1W 10.5° (orange) Diamana D+ 62

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4W 16.5° Rogue White 70

Callaway Mavrik Pro 3Hy KBS Hybrid 80

Callaway Apex 19 4Hy 23° EvenFlow Black 85

Callaway 2018 X-Forged 5i-7i / Apex MB 8i-PW Modus 120

Mizuno S18 51.08 56.10 60.10 DG Wedge

Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 CS / Piretti Cottonwood II CS

 

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jbrunk said:

In my experience there are two types of center shaft putters. First, those that intersect putter head at the center of the top line (Cleveland, Nike), always leaves me feeling more on top of the ball, and encouraging more of a SBST stroke.  My preference is for a CS putter where the shaft angle to the center of the sole (Bettinardi, SeeMore, Odyssey, Scotty), appearing slightly off center at the top line.  More toe hang and flatter lie angle will encourage a more arcing stroke; face balanced and upright, less arc.  I putt cross handed with a slight to moderate arc, so a little bit of toe hang usually fits me well.  Otherwise, try not to get too hung up on head shape.

 

My current lineup:

Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

Byron Morgan Channel Island Starshot

Carbon Bandit

Piretti Cottonwood 2

Piretti Teramo

SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange (current gamer)

Yes! Pippi-12 Black

Yes! Sally-12 Mid

 

4C19C2A3-7214-4EAD-A180-E8BA6315E00C.jpeg
 

Prior gamers:

Bettinardi iNOVAi 3.0

Bettibardi Kuchar 2HM

Scotty Cameron GoLo s5

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7

The strokes gained 8 bought is definitely the second type.  I think that will be a good fit for me.  I’ve got some arc in my stroke.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jomatty said:

I appreciate them but I don’t think I could game a bullseye.  I want a little forgiveness open longer putts...

 

I find that I roll the ball better (and make more putts) with a Bullseye blade than I do any other style of putter. I don't buy the "forgiveness" story which putter makers sell. Specifically, if a large head putter causes a player to mishit putts then whatever  tech-forgiveness benefits are built in to the putter don't matter. In other words, why choose a putter based on supposed benefits from mishits ? It make better sense to choose a putter which provides the player the most solid strikes, best rolls, most made puts etc...

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Fairway14 said:

 

I find that I roll the ball better (and make more putts) with a Bullseye blade than I do any other style of putter. I don't buy the "forgiveness" story which putter makers sell. Specifically, if a large head putter causes a player to mishit putts then whatever  tech-forgiveness benefits are built in to the putter don't matter. In other words, why choose a putter based on supposed benefits from mishits ? It make better sense to choose a putter which provides the player the most solid strikes, best rolls, most made puts etc...

It may make better sense for you, but it’s not for me.  I know some believe that forgiveness is not real, but I find that some putters do not punish you nearly as much as something like a bullseye.  And I’ve never played with anyone who never mishits a putt.  I like bullseyes but it is not a shape that gives me confidence or putts an especially good roll on the ball for me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It is my understanding that different putters line up correctly for different people so there is no way that I could recommend a putter that will work for you.  It might not be as much fun but you could go to Edel and get tested and fitted for a putter that you line up naturally.

 

I calibrate my eye using a club ruler and that seems to work for me regardless of the putter that I am using:

PuttAlign.JPG.bae4eaf396d9911197474e4da6e86987.JPG

 

In action:

 

I have found that the more I practice the better I putt...  Okay, good luck on your search!

Edited by Nels55
  • Like 1

Driver Maltby KE4 w Aeortech Steelfiber SS65 shaft 46.5”
3 wood Rogue subzero 15 degree with Paderson KG70 F30
Hybrids: 3, 4 and 5 Rogue with Steelfiber HLS980 shaft
Irons: 6 through wedge PXG 0311 with Steelfiber i110cw shaft
Wedge: 50 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 S Grind
Wedge: 56 deg 10 deg bounce Jaws S Grind
Wedge: 62 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 C Grind (bent to 62 degrees from 60 degrees)
Wedges with steelfiber i110 shafts.
Putter: Strokelab EXO 7; 39.25 inches; 77 degree lie angle; Takimac arthritic grip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jomatty said:

It may make better sense for you, but it’s not for me.  I know some believe that forgiveness is not real, but I find that some putters do not punish you nearly as much as something like a bullseye.  And I’ve never played with anyone who never mishits a putt.  I like bullseyes but it is not a shape that gives me confidence or putts an especially good roll on the ball for me.  

 

Well, if you have  played a Bullseye for a few rounds of golf and concluded that you  putt better with a different style, that's fine.

I like to encourage players to try one (rather than only assume the Bullseye would not be good for their putting game). There are good sense reasons the Bullseye model was dominant in golf for decades, including hundreds of Tour wins. 

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another vote for LAB B.2.

 

First center shafted putter I’ve ever used and I’m making more putts than I ever have. Liking the center shaft alignment: Less to look at/worry about. The shaft practically leads my eyes to middle of the face and to the ball. I make sure my stoke returns there and continues, with the shaft “tracing” a few inches after contact down my intended line. It feels great, too.

 

Right handed, left eye dominant. Loving it so far. Other types of necks now seem so busy compared to the simplicity of the center shaft look (and trust me - I sooo want to putt well with the plumber necks. Iconic look but just a constant pull or toe strike miss for me).

 

C857EFAB-E64D-46CA-BF43-75B17CEA5D1E.jpeg

96D96784-EDDC-4C26-B872-3A13AFF22B1A.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am gaming a Nordberg Hakon CU coming from a TaylorMade Spider Tour Red CS putter. I found out a few years ago that center shaft worked better for me but it took a couple of months playing to buy off on the look. Now, it's vice versa as well as my stroke is a SBST.  So much easier for me to start it on the right line now. I also dabble in long neck blade putters that also work better for me. 

Screenshot_20210307-142210_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210307-142217_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210307-142223_Instagram.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2021 at 7:17 PM, jomatty said:

I’ve got this guy heading my way as well as a white hot pro 7cs.  Hopefully this strokes gained is the winner as I’m digging the weld neck.  
 

what sort of grip do you guys like on your center shafts?  I’ve usually used the lamkin deep etch cord or pistol grips but it seems like most favor more of a straight grip on center shaft sticks.  

48B40DAF-3C70-4178-88D8-B21B8ACE3EF2.jpeg

854D1F21-7569-4E71-B521-E67F5AF9B3F8.jpeg

 

Sweet putter, Rohrs does great work.

 

As for grip I'd use what you're comfortable with, it's one less variable you have to worry about when putting especially with a concept that may be new to you.

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 6.0

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - NCW Boyd - and more. 

WITB Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

 

Well, if you have  played a Bullseye for a few rounds of golf and concluded that you  putt better with a different style, that's fine.

I like to encourage players to try one (rather than only assume the Bullseye would not be good for their putting game). There are good sense reasons the Bullseye model was dominant in golf for decades, including hundreds of Tour wins. 

Yes.  I saw a study (can’t remember where) that showed it as the putter most people found easiest to line up properly.  I’ve used one quite a bit, although it has been awhile.  I love it for putts under 5 feet or so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, bigkidneys said:

I am gaming a Nordberg Hakon CU coming from a TaylorMade Spider Tour Red CS putter. I found out a few years ago that center shaft worked better for me but it took a couple of months playing to buy off on the look. Now, it's vice versa as well as my stroke is a SBST.  So much easier for me to start it on the right line now. I also dabble in long neck blade putters that also work better for me. 

Screenshot_20210307-142210_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210307-142217_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210307-142223_Instagram.jpg

Wow!  That guy is doing amazing stuff!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just have the head now...

 

 

Nike center shaft 002.jpg

Nike center shaft 003.jpg

Nike center shaft 004.jpg

Nike center shaft 005.jpg

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
TEE  CBX119  2h  17* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS 
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) DG120 S300
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

2012-2013 SC California Sonoma 33" -SS Flatso 2.0
TM TP5x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also am a center shaft putter lover...Two suggestions.... I would strongly suggest you look at LAB golf. I have never putted with anything like my DF2.1- it has been a game changer for me. My second favorite putter (and I have many) is a Scotty Red X2. Super solid and very good looking putter.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have an Odyssey Lab Works Big Seven Toe Up (whew... yes, it's a long name) but it's got a lot of tech in it and it's another take on a center shaft. It has been my favorite go-to for some time. Toe-up balance, their version of a stability shaft, counter balanced, and just overall a smooth feeling putter. 

Odyssey-Big-7-6.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2021 at 7:17 PM, jomatty said:

I’ve got this guy heading my way as well as a white hot pro 7cs.  Hopefully this strokes gained is the winner as I’m digging the weld neck.  
 

what sort of grip do you guys like on your center shafts?  I’ve usually used the lamkin deep etch cord or pistol grips but it seems like most favor more of a straight grip on center shaft sticks.  

48B40DAF-3C70-4178-88D8-B21B8ACE3EF2.jpeg

854D1F21-7569-4E71-B521-E67F5AF9B3F8.jpeg

Who makes that putter?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 Fortinet Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #7
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #8
       
       
      New Ping putter - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      New Bettinardi putters & Cover - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Ping Putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Cameron putter and new ball marker - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
      Sneds - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Peter Uihlein - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Charles Howell, III - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Scott Piercy - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Brandan Steele - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Mito Pereira - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Kevin Tway - WITB -2021 Fortinet Championship
      Joseph Bramlett - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
       
      • 18 replies
    • 2021 Tour Championship - Discussion and Comments
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Tour Championship
      LA Golf putter shafts - 2021 Tour Championship
       
       
       
      • 25 replies
    • 2021 BMW Championship - Discussion and Links
      Put any questions of comments here
       
       
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #7
       
       
      Cameron T-11 & T-11.5 putters at 2021 BMW Championship
      Mizuno Pro FliHi and 225 irons - 2021 BMW CHampionship
       
       
       
      • 18 replies
    • 2021 Ping i59 irons & Glide Forged wedges in hand comparison pics!!!
      In hand pics of the new 2021 Ping i59 irons and Glide Forged wedges...
       

       
      Ping i59 7 iron
       

       
       
      Ping i59 PW
       

       
      Ping i59 Comparison Photos

       

       

       

       
       
       
       
      PING Glide Forged Wedges

       
      Ping Glide Eye Toe Wedge
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 98 replies
    • 2021 The Northern Trust - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #1
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #2
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #3
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #4
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #5
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #6
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #7
       
       
      New Cameron for JT - 2021 The Northern Trust
      New Cameron putters for Garrick Higgo - 2021 The Northern Trust
      New Odyssey putter covers - 2021 The Northern Trust
       
       
      • 6 replies

×
×
  • Create New...