2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Do you have a "catastrophic" miss?

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

You sound like my ex after that frat party she went to!

I’ll take , take me literal for 500,Alex.  
Was she a catastrophic miss, prior to being an ex?

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Yep, overdraw due to face angle.  Bad habit when I get lazy with my hips 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Yes - when I don't turn at all on a long-ish (190+) par 3 with a 3-4-5 iron and am therefore in front of the ball with closed clubface - ball starts left and goes WAY left. Incensed cannot describe my feeling after I hit this shot. I don't break clubs, but this pushes me to the edge. I still remember specific holes where I've hit it and I literally am thinking about playing that hole again to redeem myself. Luckily, I know what causes this disaster shot and can think my way to avoiding it. The swing feels even worse than the shot looks...

I have to remember I'm just out there for fun, and assuming I can find the ball, the next shot is an opportunity for greatness. I want to look back at my round and say... I got it up and down from the depths of hell on that hole.

Great - forget about the wide right - the short putts I am missing are killing me - mentally those take their toll way more than a drive I can often recover from. I can stand in the next fairway over and confidently  plot the next shot that will lead to a magical par, after a missed three footer I just pout my way off the green. So glad recent misery made me think of this thread. 😳

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, putterboy75 said:

Yes - when I don't turn at all on a long-ish (190+) par 3 with a 3-4-5 iron and am therefore in front of the ball with closed clubface - ball starts left and goes WAY left. Incensed cannot describe my feeling after I hit this shot. I don't break clubs, but this pushes me to the edge. I still remember specific holes where I've hit it and I literally am thinking about playing that hole again to redeem myself. Luckily, I know what causes this disaster shot and can think my way to avoiding it. The swing feels even worse than the shot looks...

I have to remember I'm just out there for fun, and assuming I can find the ball, the next shot is an opportunity for greatness. I want to look back at my round and say... I got it up and down from the depths of hell on that hole.

I did this last round, but on a 150 par 3 with a 9i. I was almost pin high... 55 yards left of the center of the green.

It's not often I play a par 3 from the adjacent fairway, but luckily there WAS an adjacent fairway.

Hit LW to about 8 feet and sank the par putt. 

Given that I'm a bogey+ golfer, I considered that a hell of a recovery lol.

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

I love how Jeff has dragged us down to think about catastrophe's we've all had. Holiday weekend, at some point we'll be over a shot and..... a vision of Jeff will show up! Thanks Jeff! LOL!

• Like 2

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

1 hour ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I did this last round, but on a 150 par 3 with a 9i. I was almost pin high... 55 yards left of the center of the green.

It's not often I play a par 3 from the adjacent fairway, but luckily there WAS an adjacent fairway.

Hit LW to about 8 feet and sank the par putt. 

Given that I'm a bogey+ golfer, I considered that a hell of a recovery lol.

This is amazing. How much satisfaction did you get after walking off with a 3? I'll play one of those "nightmare" holes later today. Fingers crossed!

4 hours ago, sailfishchris said:

I love how Jeff has dragged us down to think about catastrophe's we've all had. Holiday weekend, at some point we'll be over a shot and..... a vision of Jeff will show up! Thanks Jeff! LOL!

LOL --My last 3 rounds i've hit the ball fairly solid. So i'm hopeful it was just a bad dream haha

scores have been a bit higher but ballstriking good. Putter's been in a bit of a funk

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Getting trapped in the backswing. I play a draw, and when I get trapped, especially off the tee box, I'll hit these huge pushed fades--which of course are the worst of all worlds because I play for a draw and am aiming down the right rough. Very easy to end up a fairway over and once you get going like that, it seems to perpetuate itself and you spend the whole round scrambling and shoot 84. 

On 5/27/2021 at 8:03 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

If I never blocked a drive more than 20 yards right of a fairway, I never would have had to learn to teach golf.

I now know why it happens, I know how to avoid it, I can avoid it on any individual swing....but bad habits prevail when I don’t practice regularly or when I lose focus during a round.....and both of those issues are omnipresent.....lol.

Please tell me why it happens and how to avoid it. You have described my miss. My ball flight is a soft draw, but almost once per round, I will push one dead right and dead straight. It’s painful to watch. 

On 5/27/2021 at 2:31 PM, Mcgeeno said:

Very rarely I hit the dreaded double cross.

This isn't my most common or even worst miss anymore, but back in my days of swinging way over the top and slicing the driver, I'd hit a few slices, and slowly start trying to fight it.  Since I didn't really have control over my path, that meant eventually I'd close the face enough and then bam, low screamer almost 45 degrees left into the junk.  Even one of those is catastrophic, but think about a couple a round...  Fortunately that's not my issue any longer, but it was awful while it lasted.

On 5/27/2021 at 4:34 PM, tehuti said:

Occasionally I get to missing a lot of 3-5 foot putts. If I miss a couple it just gets in my head, and then I am done.

My first thought when I saw this thread title was about a buddy of mine.  He owns at least 6 putters.  He has a little rack and an indoor green in his tv room and messes with them constantly.  When we play together, on the green he will lift and clean his ball, get low and perfectly align the sharpie line to his intended line, agonize over his intended line, and then blow the ball past the hole to where he's further away than when he started.  He's not stupid or anything, but for the life of him he can't seem to focus on distance control rather than line.  I've explicitly suggested as much, but every putt he's down there reading, lining up, and then leaving it way long or short.

Edited by bonvivantva

3 hours ago, Moonlightgrm said:

Please tell me why it happens and how to avoid it. You have described my miss. My ball flight is a soft draw, but almost once per round, I will push one dead right and dead straight. It’s painful to watch. 

Could be different for you, but for me it’s getting the shaft vertical with an extended left wrist

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

My big “miss” is pulling my head up before I make contact (like David Duval)... typically it creates a weak fade that’s a hair thin. I won’t even know I’m doing it, then I start making adjustments to fix it (my swing) and then I’ll start hitting pull hooks...

from bad to worse!!

I’ll even do it with the putter sometimes. 😞

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

One appearance of an overdraw has been known to send me to hook city for the rest of the round.

This is where I think it's so important to have a "working on something" swing thought(s) rather than avoidance of bad outcomes or swing thoughts.

E.g. after a hook, focus harder on swinging left rather than thinking "OMG don't hook it"

Yes; about once every 12 drives I will for some inexplicable reason not get my hands through the ball.

Result is a large push fade, ball is gone deep woods. I just have to keep my focus to complete the wrists/hands at the ball. I usually hit it straight. but some days I have a small draw, and some other days a small fade.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

Anything left, mainly with the driver and 3 wood, I don't tend to fight it with anything less than about a 5 iron but I hate to see that miss, especially with the driver. I get under plane and rely too much on my hands to square it and some days I just don't have it, or it may just pop up for 1 shot but it's a confidence wrecker. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist T200 3 Utility Build Thump 90-X
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Duck hook.  It plagues me every now and then and seems to pop up when I cannot afford to miss left.  Funny how that works.  I can live with a a block/push all day.  I'm probably the only golfer here who can hook his wedges both on purpose and by accident.  🤣

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

17 minutes ago, Brass_Bullseye said:

Hitting six inches behind the ball with a wedge in my hand.  It’s bad enough to miss the green from 135 and in, but to fat it 50 yards after smoking a driver 295 right down the middle makes me want to Romeo every club in my bag and dive to the bottom of a bottle of Makers.  

I was a pro at doing that.  At one point, I expected it after every 300+yard drive.  My father would always call it.  I started really working on my wedge game.  I think that shot rears it's ugly head once out of every 20 shots now. 

Edited by phizzy30

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

32 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I was a pro at doing that.  At one point, I expected it after every 300+yard drive.  My father would always call it.  I started really working on my wedge game.  I think that shot rears it's ugly head once out of every 20 shots now. 

I think for me it’s a combination of a swing flaw and, more importantly...pressure.  I just hit a perfect drive and am in the proverbial scoring zone.  Instead of thinking, “Hit whatever shot you have to hit to get it on the green with a chance for birdie,” I tense up and overthink how to play the perfect shot to knock it to gimme range.  Tension in the swing plus not being completely committed to the shot plus hanging back on my right side equals fatted 56° wedge from 95 yards.  

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Brass_Bullseye said:

I think for me it’s a combination of a swing flaw and, more importantly...pressure.  I just hit a perfect drive and am in the proverbial scoring zone.  Instead of thinking, “Hit whatever shot you have to hit to get it on the green with a chance for birdie,” I tense up and overthink how to play the perfect shot to knock it to gimme range.  Tension in the swing plus not being completely committed to the shot plus hanging back on my right side equals fatted 56° wedge from 95 yards.  

I can almost hear Nelson from Simpsons saying "HA.....HA" whenever that happens.   

On 5/27/2021 at 5:42 PM, jamgam said:

At least once a round I can top the hell out of a tee shot.  Never top from the fairway but on a tee box my brain goes nuts

Usually happens for me after a 7-9 hole stretch of great golf, and happens for just long enough to derail my score into the standard differential range. It's been worse for me lately and completely ruins the fun. 

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Shank.

Just feel being punished by golf gods. More I Try worse it gets.  So bad, so often.  I practice in my range/Net in back yard, there's a quarry behind so I kinda have private driving range. I just enjoy heading outside after work most nights putting on a ball game and swinging. Great for short game, I can fly full wedges and huge trees knock them down.

Not saying I'm struggling a bit but getting to the point here's what I stand -- after Monday's round came home feeling awful, spins and headache, fever and chills. (yes I"ve had my shot)  Slept from 3pm to next morning.  Past two days a bit of a struggle. Virtual Dr appt today led to covid test, get results tomorrow. How sad my game is so bad I'm almost at the point I'm rooting for a positive test (one to get wife off my back, jeesluweeze!) and 2) so I don't have to go and embarrass myself with @MonteScheinblumand his group outing in Chicago this weekend.  I've tried every freaking You Tube clip created to resolve this issue, seems to only make things worse. 

Absolutely dreading having to stand in front of the group and try to make anything resembling a golf swing.  But in total honesty small price to pay if the health thing clears up and test negative. Some, okay I'll be honest and say Most might say I'll deserve the abuse coming my way, hopefully.

Edited by parmark

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 6:14 PM, 596 said:

Green side bunker with a house, clubhouse or parking lot straight ahead.  I've hit the clubhouse twice from the green side bunker with a sculled sand shot.  It effects the shot everytime I'm in that bunker.

I have to ask, what did you do when this occurred? ... the first place where this could easily happen that comes to mind is in Pinehurst where the clubhouse is a mere 10 yards over the 18th green of course No. 2. It gets worse too, there's a bar where all the players who've finished up for the day gather and watch everyone finish up for the day. When I'm in a similar situation and am worried I'll go over the target like you did I always end up super short which is not very good either.