2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

8 Man Golf Trip Early April - FL, AZ, or NV?

I am planning a trip and am looking for some advice, here are the parameters:

• Eight people, six of us in the 6-9 handicap range, two in the 12-14 range; Thursday-Sunday trip in early April (likely next 3/31-4/3 or 4/7-10). Looking to play 36 Friday, 18-36 Saturday and possibly sneak a round in on Thursday/Sunday for those with flights that work
  • Limiting to direct flights from where everyone lives (San Diego/NYC/Boston), and hopefully sub-2 hr drives to our destination once we land. Tampa, Phoenix, Vegas, Orlando all seem to work 
  • Budget is not unlimited but we aren't super focused on it, willing to spend
  • No connections to private clubs
  • For Tampa any insight on World Woods/Southern Hills/Juliette Falls/Others would be great. Also not opposed to the idea of a Streamsong or Innisbrook just to make things easier for planning purposes
  • For AZ we would be looking to do Greyhawk/Southern Dunes/Wekopa (I have previously done TPC/Troon/Gainey) but open to others if there are better options
  • I have zero insight on a Vegas or Orlando itinerary, so am curious about the logistics of where courses are compared to the strip/wherever you stay in/around Orlando
Edited by hartrick11

Driver:  TSi3 10* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: TSi2 14.25* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Hybrid | Utility: TSi2 19* w/ AD IZ 95x | P790 UDI w/ KBS PGI 100

Irons: P7 Combo (790 4i, 770 5-7i, MC 8-p)

Wedges: SM7 52 F, 58 M w/ Modus 125S

Putter:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

All of the places you listed will work. I've done them all multiple times. Tampa would probably be my last choice unless you are going to Streamsong, in which case it would be my first choice with the caveat that that would be the most expensive option.

On the assumption that you are going to play two 36 hole days and one 18 hole day these would be my suggestions:

Nothing wrong with your PHX choices. The two courses at We-Ko -Pa and the Southern Dunes course are must play courses. The two at Grayhawk are pretty good and an easy 36 hole day, but Grayhawk is more eye candy than shot values.

In Orlando, I'd do 36 at Orange County National, 36 at Championsgate and 18 at Southern Dunes (Just a coincidence that it has the same name as an excellent course in AZ). It's the best course in Orlando.

In Vegas, I'd do 36 at Paiute (they have 54 holes so you could do that as a 36 hole day and an 18 hole day). Other good choices are Reflection Bay which you can pair with Chimera, Royal Links or Rio Seco which are all approximately 30 minutes apart. Or if you are willing to do a little more driving you could go to Coyote Springs or Wolf Creek.

Check out the flights to see which of these three locales works best

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Streamsong from Tampa is super easy and BY FAR the best golf in Florida. Orlando is trash, I just hate the style of "florida golf". Vegas is cool but I don't think a great golf destination unless you went up to Mesquite/St George. The actual vegas courses are pretty overpriced for what they are. I don't really think of Vegas as a golf destination unless you play the big boy - Shadow Creek. Paiute is a cool place. 

Phoenix/Scottsdale is a great golf destination. The courses you mentioned are my must plays. Southern Dunes has really picked up steam in the golf world I think, and it is an awesome lay out that feels different than the rest of the courses. We-ko-pa Seguero is, in my opinion, the best course in the area. There is also plenty to do in the area outside of golf. That would be the one downside of Streamsong. But Streamsong has the better courses. 

• Like 1

Sabram hit all the points at your locations. I will toss out a couple other locations that have direct flights that will be great weather and conditions in late April.

Pinehurst - North Carolina

Austin Texas

RTJ Trail - Alabama 

Savanna 

Myrtle Beach

Edit: Many others I am sure of.......  Just keeping options open 😃 

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hartrick11 said:

I am planning a trip and am looking for some advice, here are the parameters:

• Eight people, six of us in the 6-9 handicap range, two in the 12-14 range; Thursday-Sunday trip in early April (likely next 3/31-4/3 or 4/7-10). Looking to play 36 Friday, 18-36 Saturday and possibly sneak a round in on Thursday/Sunday for those with flights that work
  • Limiting to direct flights from where everyone lives (San Diego/NYC/Boston), and hopefully sub-2 hr drives to our destination once we land. Tampa, Phoenix, Vegas, Orlando all seem to work 
  • Budget is not unlimited but we aren't super focused on it, willing to spend
  • No connections to private clubs
  • For Tampa any insight on World Woods/Southern Hills/Juliette Falls/Others would be great. Also not opposed to the idea of a Streamsong or Innisbrook just to make things easier for planning purposes
  • For AZ we would be looking to do Greyhawk/Southern Dunes/Wekopa (I have previously done TPC/Troon/Gainey) but open to others if there are better options
  • I have zero insight on a Vegas or Orlando itinerary, so am curious about the logistics of where courses are compared to the strip/wherever you stay in/around Orlando

I agree Vegas is not a golf destination.  If you are there, you can play, but as pointed out above Shadow Creek and possibly Cascata are the only elite courses IMO.  Shadow Creek requires an MGM affiliate hotel stay and a limo ride out, Cascata is half an hour south of Vegas in some foothills (To play both of those courses will cost nearly a grand per person)  Sabram is in my opinion on point with his recommendations.  Streamsong is great.  Golf is fantastic, but there is nothing there at all even remotely close, and food etc is lets just say not as good as the price they charge would indicate.  Orlando and Phoenix would allow some value choices around your high end highlights, as well as more to do.  Hard to beat Scottsdale/Phoenix for ease of use.  Prices have been up this year though.  Book early.

Edited by vallygolf
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, CDM said:

Sabram hit all the points at your locations. I will toss out a couple other locations that have direct flights that will be great weather and conditions in late April.

Pinehurst - North Carolina

Austin Texas

RTJ Trail - Alabama 

Savanna 

Myrtle Beach

Edit: Many others I am sure of.......  Just keeping options open 😃 

Thanks - direct flights aren't available to Savanna, Myrtle or Birmingham from San Diego. I was thinking Pinehurst weather in the very beginning of April would be less predictable but I am also a huge baby, so that may be wrong?

How would you do an Austin trip? Love the city and is a great midpoint for east/west coast flights, I just don't have much insight into a golf itinerary there...

Edited by hartrick11

This is awesome, thanks guys. I'm going to cross off Vegas and get working on Streamsong & Scottsdale options for the boys to consider. Would welcome anything else from the crowd in the meantime!

Austin is OK.  There are no destination type courses, but the Barton Creek resorts are much better than average.  A little overrated IMO.  I have stayed at the Mariott in N San Antonio before and played the TPC courses there and then driven (about 1.5 hrs depending on traffic) to Barton Creek in  Austin.  Other public offerings werent spectacular.

Edited by vallygolf

7 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

How would you do an Austin trip? Love the city and is a great midpoint for east/west coast flights, I just don't have much insight into a golf itinerary there...

I'd be interested in this as well. I've only been to Austin once and didn't play golf. Mainly because it seemed like the public options there were limited at best. The city and private clubs are great, the public golf access not so much. 

If direct flights and decent weather (since it will be March/April) are big priorities I'd stick with either Streamsong or Scottsdale. Pinehurst is an option, but like anywhere in the southeast that time of year it could be 80 degrees and sunny or 45 and raining.

As far as the other original options, I agree with the others. You could play 20 different courses in Orlando and still feel like you played the same one over and over again, and Vegas is only great if you have unlimited cash to throw around. 

3 hours ago, mci711 said:

Orlando is trash, I just hate the style of "florida golf".

That's a broad over-generalization. Not all courses in Orlando or Florida are similar.  I too am not fond of stereo-typical Florida style golf if that means tight fairways and lots of water in play resulting in target style golf with lots of lost balls. However, the courses I suggested don't fall in that category. Have you played Southern Dunes or the Country Club Course at Championsgate? They are not typical Florida golf. One could make a make similar generalizations about PHX golf as the stereotype that many desert courses fall into is target style courses with tight fairways and punishing desert scrub that are just eye candy and not a lot of fun shot making. Way too many Scottsdale area courses fall into that category, but I wouldn't say that desert golf is trash (although many people do.)

It all comes down to the specific courses one chooses to play and the ones I suggested in Orlando would make for a lot of fun golf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chanceman said:

I almost got a trip going for Tampa which went in a tight loop:

Innisbrook / Copperhead

World Woods / Pine Barrens

Black Diamond Ranch / Quarry

Bay Hill

Streamsong / Red Blue Black

with alts to Eaglebrooke, Dunedin, Southern Hills, Sothern Dunes

For me, that's not  such a tight loop for three days of golf. It's a two hour drive from World Woods to Streamsong and with the normal traffic on I-4 it would be almost 2 hours to Bay Hill. A lot of driving for such a short trip. If I was going "high end", I'd just do Streamsong and stay there for three days. It's got better courses than the others and there is a discount on the second round each day. The Streamsong courses are worth playing more than once each assuming it's in one's budget. World Woods and Southern Dunes are excellent and way less expensive. I haven't played World Woods this year and there have been some reports on this site of spotty conditioning there.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sabram said:

That's a broad over-generalization. Not all courses in Orlando or Florida are similar.  I too am not fond of stereo-typical Florida style golf if that means tight fairways and lots of water in play resulting in target style golf with lots of lost balls. However, the courses I suggested don't fall in that category. Have you played Southern Dunes or the Country Club Course at Championsgate? They are not typical Florida golf. One could make a make similar generalizations about PHX golf as the stereotype that many desert courses fall into is target style courses with tight fairways and punishing desert scrub that are just eye candy and not a lot of fun shot making. Way too many Scottsdale area courses fall into that category, but I wouldn't say that desert golf is trash (although many people do.)

It all comes down to the specific courses one chooses to play and the ones I suggested in Orlando would make for a lot of fun golf.

Florida is the most overrated public golf state in the country. Remove Streamsong and it may not be in the top 10. Other than Streamsong, Sawgrass and World Woods Pine Barrens there isn't much to write home about. I would never fly across the country to play golf in Orlando. 

Edited by mci711

5 minutes ago, mci711 said:

Florida is the most overrated public golf state in the country. Remove Streamsong and it may not be in the top 10. Other than Streamsong, Sawgrass and World Woods Pine Barrens there isn't much to write home about. 

Not debating where Florida stands overall as a golf state.  The only question relevant to the OP is the quality of the courses needed for a three day golf trip. I've played more than 800 courses in 48 states and 13 countries I've played every course mentioned in this thread. The courses I mentioned for a three day Orlando trip are really quite good.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sabram said:

Not debating where Florida stands overall as a golf state.  The only question relevant to the OP is the quality of the courses needed for a three day golf trip. I've played more than 800 courses in 48 states and 13 countries I've played every course mentioned in this thread. The courses I mentioned for a three day Orlando trip are really quite good.

In relation to the other options they aren't. I mean this is all mostly opinion, but just look at course rankings (again not perfect) Orlando golf doesn't stack up to the other options in any way.

Edited by mci711

8 hours ago, mci711 said:

In relation to the other options they aren't. I mean this is all mostly opinion, but just look at course rankings (again not perfect) Orlando golf doesn't stack up to the other options in any way.

Have you played Southern Dunes, OCN Panther Lake and Championsgate Country Club? They compare very well to Vegas and PHX courses other than desert views, which has nothing to do with strength of the designs

I'd play Mission Inns, Southern Dunes, OCN, Championsgate and Bella Collina.  You get your dunes and terrains.  If budget is the calling you can't go wrong with that, especially with direct flights in/out of orlando along with plenty of Arbnb.  Traffic could be daunting but stay off the tourist trap and you'll be fine. 

• Like 1

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Just did 12 guys in Scottsdale in mid April.   Grayhawk, TPC and We Ko Pa (many liked Cholla better than Saguaro).  Hard to beat AZ that time of year and weather was perfect for us.   

Played Streamsong Red in December and would like to go back to play the rest of the courses.  Never been to Pinehurst but friends tell me the weather is great in April.   

• Like 1

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD 50S

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Tensei Blue 1K 60S

Paradym Ai Smoke 24* Tensei Pro 1K 70S

Srixon ZX5 mkII  Modus 105R

Callaway JAWS RAW Modus/DG S400

Mizuno M Craft VI

Apparently the direct flight from San Diego to Tampa is not offered anymore and unclear if it will come back (thanks Covid). So I am down to Streamsong, Orlando, and Scottsdale. I have a good grasp on Orlando based on the insight that was offered, but wondering of any sleeper Scottsdale area courses that haven't been mentioned above? Would like to offer the boys at least the option of something cheaper to swap out w/ Greyhawk (I will definitely do Wekopa 36 and Southern Dunes).

Scottsdale weather in early April should be ideal. You might have a little better course availability if you can go the latter weekend - let the spring break golfers head home.

I find desert golf courses to mostly look and feel all the same so I focus on the mid-tier courses. In this range you could play:

Legacy and Raven on the south side of town. They are very close to each other (maybe a mile) so it could be a 36 hole day. Legacy is desert, Raven has some pine trees and much less of a desert feel so you might appreciate the difference. They are also close to the airport so they could serve as arrival/departure options, too.

There's also the Talking Stick courses which could make for a 36 hole day. TPC Champions is also a popular option as is Verde River but it's kind of by itself in the far northeast metro. Longbow in Mesa is an east metro option.

I've played Southern Dunes and to me it's just not worth the drive. If you're not in the fairway you're likely in sand and that gets old after awhile. Afternoon winds can kick up, too.

• Like 1

"I've played Southern Dunes and to me it's just not worth the drive. If you're not in the fairway you're likely in sand and that gets old after awhile. Afternoon winds can kick up, too"

I appreciate we can all have opinions, but as far as they go this is an outlier opinion.  It is definitely worth the drive, and worth playing 18.  As far as other offerings check out this thread that has a lot of what you are looking for:

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/239432-traveling-to-phoenixsome-course-info-for-you/

It has short reviews and relative pricing.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, hartrick11 said:

wondering of any sleeper Scottsdale area courses that haven't been mentioned above? Would like to offer the boys at least the option of something cheaper to swap out w/ Greyhawk (I will definitely do Wekopa 36 and Southern Dunes).

First, to me Southern Dunes is worth the drive. However, if your goal is to play courses in close proximity, you should consider Sun Ridge Canyon and Eagle Mountain. They are close to each other and also close to We-Ko-Pa and less expensive than Greyhawk.  Wickenberg is also a good choice, but it's a long drive and the opposite direction from Southern Dunes, so if you play Southern Dunes and Wickenberg you would be doing a lot of driving.

Other courses to consider are Papago, Camelback Ambiente and Talking Stick. These options don't have the "sizzle" that courses like Greyhawk and Quintero have, but they do provide the "steak" i.e. they don't have as many postcard views but they are really solid designs with lots of strategic golf shots. 

Here are links to photos of some of these courses 

Southern Dunes Photos

Sunridge Canyon Photos

Eagle Mountain Photos

Camelback Ambiente Photos

Talking Stick Photos (North Course)

Papago Photos

Wickenberg Photos

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sabram said:

First, to me Southern Dunes is worth the drive. However, if your goal is to play courses in close proximity, you should consider Sun Ridge Canyon and Eagle Mountain. They are close to each other and also close to We-Ko-Pa and less expensive than Greyhawk.  Wickenberg is also a good choice, but it's a long drive and the opposite direction from Southern Dunes, so if you play Southern Dunes and Wickenberg you would be doing a lot of driving.

Other courses to consider are Papago, Camelback Ambiente and Talking Stick. These options don't have the "sizzle" that courses like Greyhawk and Quintero have, but they do provide the "steak" i.e. they don't have as many postcard views but they are really solid designs with lots of strategic golf shots. 

Here are links to photos of some of these courses 

Southern Dunes Photos

Sunridge Canyon Photos

Eagle Mountain Photos

Camelback Ambiente Photos

Talking Stick Photos (North Course)

Papago Photos

Wickenberg Photos

I always check out your pics before going on a trip - they are great. 

• Like 2

You really can’t go wrong with the AZ weather and variety of courses that time of year. 

Just to throw one other option in - Reynolds Lake Oconee. Weather would probably be better in the latter part of April (I was there the last weekend of April this year and it was great for golf), but not a deal breaker early in the month. ATL flights are easy from anywhere, and it’s not much further than Tampa-Streamsong. Plenty of courses for variety and rental villas, although you do have to drive between the various courses and lodging. 

In Florida, you always have the chance of significant rain (also applies to NC/Pinehurst). For a short trip, a washout would be a huge bummer. In AZ, almost zero chance of rain. Florida, especially Streamsong, has very little going for it in the food/drink/nightlife category, if those things mean anything to you, while Scottsdale is a non-golf destination as well as a golf destination and has those in abundance. 

For courses in AZ, Southern Dunes and Wekopa stand out, and you could do 36 at Southern Dunes probably with a decent replay rate. Grayhawk is a great facility for 36, but the courses themselves are a bit bland and arguably not worth the premium. Sunridge Canyon is awful in every way except views, Eagle Mountain is always in suspect shape and they have completely lost the course to a fungus at the moment. Legacy and Raven are not destination courses in any way,shape, or form.  Talking Stick courses are relatively boring - destination courses that shouldn't be. 2 under the radar courses not mentioned yet are Legend Trail and Verde River Golf & Social, layouts are really really good, they are mid tier in terms of price, both with great views and not far out of Scottsdale proper. No one has mentioned Troon North, which is top tier for both course layouts (36 holes) but also for price, much better courses than Grayhawk but the facility isn't as good for a 36 hole day. Wickenburg Ranch and Quintero could be done as a 36 hole day but it would be a very long day with the drive(s).

• Like 1

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

So I ran a 12 man trip in Orlando this April, so that is what I'll speak to.

Plenty of good options all around the area and within 1 hour. We did 3 rounds Two at Orange county National (each 18) and one at Southern Dunes. OCN was solid one course was in great shape the other some of the greens they were working on so just average. Southern Dunes was by far the favorite of the group. It was a tough but fair course and conditions were perfect. 

Weather wise we were good all days. Here in FL in general rain season doesn't begin to mid may. At the point you'd be risking afternoon storms everyday. 

As for lodging there are so many options. My group rented a couple Condos on Lake Bryan (near Disney) it was good, lots of restaurant options post rounds and for breakfast ect. Also there was a mini golf course within walking distance so of course we have a full on mini tournament there haha. From MCO airport anything would be in your two hour window for the Orlando area course. One tip is avoid I-4 as much as possible.

On 5/27/2021 at 7:25 PM, mci711 said:

Florida is the most overrated public golf state in the country. Remove Streamsong and it may not be in the top 10. Other than Streamsong, Sawgrass and World Woods Pine Barrens there isn't much to write home about. I would never fly across the country to play golf in Orlando. 

Tom Cruise What GIF