Aerotech Steel Fibre Shaft

Chubbs91

I am looking for some information about these Shafts. I am thinking about putting a set into my irons and currently play some DG tour issue x100 and was wondering if anyone knew the similar shaft in Aerotech. I know I should go get fitted with Covid makes that hard. 

I am a 5 Handicap with a swing speed around 110-115 mph. 

Thanks

Chubbs

The closest Steelfiber to the x100's would be the i125's (x-stiff).   It's a great shaft for players that fit into that type of stiff tip (low launching) profile but no way to tell how good a fit until you get a chance to demo one.   If you can't find one to do that, I'd suggest buying a single shaft to test out before committing to a whole set.

But the main question is why?  Is there something in particular that you hope to improve or gain with the switch?  Or are you just curious?  (which is fine too).

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

In my experience also the cw verison plays much stiffer.  I play modus 125x and project x 6.5 and now play the i110cw in stiff.  If you feel the shafts a bit heavy I think the i110 would fit very well with you but as stuart said if you can't demo try to buy one shaft cause it is a pretty expensive investment.  

• Like 1

It only hurts once, except golf it hurts a lifetime

1 hour ago, Chubbs91 said:

I’m curious about them. I do find my shifts a bit heavy. Feels like I have to swing a bit harder to unload the shaft.

That sounds more like a stiffness issue than a weight issue.  Might try going down a flex to stiff with the Steelfibers.    Shaft weight is more about finding a good match for your rhythm and tempo.  The stiffness (combination of both flex and profile) is about finding the right feel for loading/unloading.

And weight is generally more important than stiffness for most so it's a good idea to figure that out first.

Or you could even try the steelfiber fc115's in x-stiff or maybe even the UST Recoil 110 F5.  They are a little softer profile so can give you both a slight drop and weight as well as a slightly softer profile for a feel of a shaft that's easier to load/unload.   fc115's will be a bit softer and load more than the Recoil's.    Good chance you might find the Recoils to demo in an OEM fitting cart that many retails use.  They are a bit more common than the others.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

Sharing the assorted Wishon profile data I've accumulated for DG and Steelfiber.  Feel obliged to add a comment:  the 11" reading for DGX100 taper has been disputed, and measured close to 1000 by one of our WRX clubmaker gents.

image.png.965ff8ed53423af2c1ca5ab69f009649.png

The i95 is almost a dead ringer for DG.  The i110 and i125 are very DG-like in the upper half, but the bottom half of the shaft gets stiffer.

I have i125 in a wedge, I like to think the above describes what I'm feeling in that club in the swing.  I also recognize the potential for power of suggestion being in play.  😉

All of that said....   if you're inclined to go a little lighter than DGX100, the i110 would be a good translation, with the caveat of the higher balance point of the 110, and the swingweight issues it can bring into play.  If the weight isn't an issue, the i125 would probably be worth looking at.  

If the added tip stiffness is a worry, you could always hardstep the stiff or softstep the X for either.  Or drop to the Stiff altogether.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

10 hours ago, gvogel said:

In my experience they play stiffer than their steel equivalent.  The tips are very stiff.

Well they should right? More grams per inch in the short irons

Per s3 , x100 CPM is 348, i125 is 328

Profiles aren't that far off but 125 is softer throughout

Edited by Poolparty

How is the flight of the 110’s vs x100?

Callaway Tour Issue Paradym TD-S 8.5 (7.9) - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 5X

TaylorMade TOUR Stealth 2 15 - Fujikura Ventus Red TR 7X
PXG 0317X Gen 5 19  (Actual 17.5) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
PXG 0311X Gen 5 -  Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X

PXG 0317T - 4 - LAGP L-Series (5) X
Miura KM-700  5-PW - LAGP L-Series (5) X
PXG Milled "Sugar Daddy 2 " 50,54,60 - DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Holiday LTD (23}/ LAGP 135 (White)

@chubbs (won't let me edit) @Chubbs91, I have a Mizuno MP-4 shafted with a Steelfiber i125 Stiff, if you want to try it. 

Edited by DYOS4
  • Thanks 1

WITB Currently
Titleist TSR2 10*

Callaway Paradym 16.5*

Titleist TSi1 20*

Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Irons - Srixon ZX7 5-PW

Cleveland RTX6 56*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II Centershaft/Ping Tyne C

Mizuno K1-L0

On 5/28/2021 at 4:44 AM, Chubbs91 said:

I am looking for some information about these Shafts. I am thinking about putting a set into my irons and currently play some DG tour issue x100 and was wondering if anyone knew the similar shaft in Aerotech. I know I should go get fitted with Covid makes that hard. 

Thanks

Chubbs

I think you would most like Steelfiber i95 .

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

2 hours ago, Chubbs91 said:

Interesting. 

What he said plus it's just 20 grams lighter. I don't think you were wrong to think of trying the 125. People say steel fibers play up a flex but the specs don't bear that out and I've not felt it either. If you can't find a demo to hit I'd advise buying a 7 iron in 125x and 110x. Forget stiff

12 hours ago, llaw999 said:

Guessing because they swing weight a bit light... like 1-2 swingweight points. 

More like 3-4 pts light with the i110's.  They have a very high balance point - which is why I don't generally recommend them unless one is doing an over length build.

These tip weights don't take up any appreciable space in the hosel and don't require as much drilling.

https://store.billybobsgolf.com/product/brass-swingweight-for-heavy-graphite-shafts-with-small-mandrel-hole/

The i95's do have a nice profile but that's a BIG drop in static weight coming from DG's.  Very possibly too much of a drop.  And weight is much more important than the stiffness profile for most.

Edited by Stuart_G

On 5/28/2021 at 7:44 AM, Chubbs91 said:

Thanks

Chubbs

There's a chart right on the Aerotech site that will match swing speeds to flex - and they do play stiff.

Coming from years of the same DG X100, my elbows can't take the beating anymore. Tried out the i110 in stiff flex and could easily play it, even though it's lighter than the DG (the i95's were too light). Decided on the Recoil Proto 110's anyway, but don't be afraid to come down in weight and flex if you go the Aerotech route. Didn't notice much of a difference in flight between the two, but the graphite sure was more pleasant to swing. Looking forward to ditching the steel.

Edited by Hammer22

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

8 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

More like 3-4 pts light with the i110's.  They have a very high balance point - which is why I don't generally recommend them unless one is doing an over length build.

These tip weights don't take up any appreciable space in the hosel and don't require as much drilling.

https://store.billybobsgolf.com/product/brass-swingweight-for-heavy-graphite-shafts-with-small-mandrel-hole/

The i95's do have a nice profile but that's a BIG drop in static weight coming from DG's.  Very possibly too much of a drop.  And weight is much more important than the stiffness profile for most.

Those weights are amazing! I been looking for something like that for years. Looks like you can just snip off any excess weight as needed.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted in the swingweight discussion, shouldve posted here....

I've been a predominantly S400 player, but I'm getting old and wanted to switch to something lighter.   I am a noob club builder and this is my first venture into graphite iron shafts.

I built up a 1/2 set - 6/8/P iron to the same swingweight as my gamers but with 95g Steel fibers.  Ive played a couple rounds and have had a few range sessions, but cant quite get used to the overall static weight difference. 

does anyone have an easy solution for this transition period, or do should I just stick it out?  should I just tinker with lead tape on the head to see what feels comfortable?

G430 Max 9*

Ping G25 20*

Ping G425 26*
Ping i500 5-W
Ping Glide Forged 50*/54* 
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 2  58*
Ping PLD Custom DS72H 

2 hours ago, valmario said:

I've been a predominantly S400 player, but I'm getting old and wanted to switch to something lighter.   I am a noob club builder and this is my first venture into graphite iron shafts.

I built up a 1/2 set - 6/8/P iron to the same swingweight as my gamers but with 95g Steel fibers.  Ive played a couple rounds and have had a few range sessions, but cant quite get used to the overall static weight difference. 

does anyone have an easy solution for this transition period, or do should I just stick it out?  should I just tinker with lead tape on the head to see what feels comfortable?

For my lighter shaft sets, I've borrowed something from Dave Tutelman.  It's an adaptation, maybe could call it pseudo-MOI. <shrug>

Anyway, this idea is to take 1/3rd of the weight reduction in the shift and add it back to the clubhead.  I don't know if you would need to go that far, but it's an idea possibly worth exploring.

With my NV105 set, I've bumped the swing weight to the D7 range.  They work moderately well, but I must admit I prefer my Recoil Proto 125's.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

34 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

For my lighter shaft sets, I've borrowed something from Dave Tutelman.  It's an adaptation, maybe could call it pseudo-MOI. <shrug>

Anyway, this idea is to take 1/3rd of the weight reduction in the shift and add it back to the clubhead.  I don't know if you would need to go that far, but it's an idea possibly worth exploring.

With my NV105 set, I've bumped the swing weight to the D7 range.  They work moderately well, but I must admit I prefer my Recoil Proto 125's.

Thanks, thats a good suggestion, I'm gonna try it out.  

G430 Max 9*

Ping G25 20*

Ping G425 26*
Ping i500 5-W
Ping Glide Forged 50*/54* 
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 2  58*
Ping PLD Custom DS72H 

For reference, Freddy Couples recently switched to Steelfiber i110 X soft stepped.  I played X-100, then Rifle 6.5 then PX 6.0 till a few years back.  I have a set of mid-bend i95cw "S" and set of mid-high bend i110cw "S"; i95 didn't work for me due to bend. 

But i110 "S" worked nicely since 10/2019, had them in my 620 MB irons till recently switching to Mitsubishi Tensei AV White AM "S", which are high bend.

I didn't need to switch to graphite, but did to cut back on the pounding.  Chose the above shafts because they were designed to make transitioning from heavier steel to graphite easier.  Ten to twelve grams down is about the max weight adjustment without tempo issues surfacing.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

4 hours ago, valmario said:

I typically was fit for, and played, 105-110g steel shafts.  When I was originally fit for graphite with different 95 and 105+ options, I was fit into SF i110 R.  When I was recently fit again, I was fit into SF i110 S.  I have played SF i95 and Recoil 95 in the interim.  All fantastic shafts.  But in the end, my performance is better, and my numbers are better, with the i110. 

Comfort is comfort, and weight does matter.  While the SF i95 is a fantastic shaft, you might just be more attuned to using heavier shafts, and that fitting does matter.  Fortunately, they do offer heavier weights in these graphite shafts, so we don't need to force the lightweight options to work.  YMMV.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

• 2 years later...