2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Advice from the Scotty Experts

williaza

Have a few options to buy used Scottys. I am not very knowledgeable on the older Scottys and value/reputation. All of these are used and decent shape. I also don’t mind sending to Scotty custom shop as I think it would be a cool experience on an older model. 

Out of these three what would be the order for you guys?:

Studio Stainless Newport Beach 1.5..after market torch finish 

1998 Newport Classic with Oil Can finish

Mil-Spec pro platinum 33/350g head 

Thank you for all info and help!

The Custom Shop no longer offer Oil Can or Pro Platinum finishes so your only option for a refinish option on the AOP NP and 350g Mil Spec is a black finish. With the SS NPB 1.5 you can restore to original or to a black finish.

Note: The Custom Shop are not accepting putters to be restored at the moment due to Covid-19 pressures and it's the expectation that this service will resume in the summer.

Edited by north_east_pro

Titleist TSR2 9* (turned down to 8.25*) Driver

Titleist TS2 13.5* Fairway

Titleist TS2 16.5* Fairway

Titleist 716 T-MB 3-4 irons

Titleist 660 5-9 irons

Vokey SM7 Tour Chrome 48* Wedge

Vokey SM Oil Can 54* & 60* Wedges

Scotty Cameron Tour Newport Putter

▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

3 minutes ago, north_east_pro said:

The Custom Shop no longer offer Oil Can or Pro Platinum finishes so your only option for a refinish option on the AOP NP and 350g Mil Spec is a black finish. With the SS NPB 1.5 you can restore to original or to a black finish.

Note: The Custom Shop are not accepting putters to be restored at the moment due to Covid-19 pressures and it's the expectation that this service will resume in the summer.

Would you have a preference on these? 

Since I don't putt very well with a flow neck either the Newport AOP Oil Can or the Newport 350g Mil Spec would get my pick.

Mil Spec's do look nice in black so I'd narrow my choice down to this one. 🙂

Titleist 660 5-9 irons

▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

1 minute ago, north_east_pro said:

Since I don't putt very well with a flow neck either the Newport AOP Oil Can or the Newport 350g Mil Spec would get my pick.

Mil Spec's do look nice in black so I'd narrow my choice down to this one. 🙂

When I have looked around the Custom Shop website I’ve never see a refinish or color option on the classic form just a paintfill option...am I missing something? 

1 minute ago, williaza said:

When I have looked around the Custom Shop website I’ve never see a refinish or color option on the classic form just a paintfill option...am I missing something? 

Like I mentioned in my first reply to your post the CS are not doing restorations at the moment. This option has been removed from the order form but you still can send in putters to get personalisation e.g. stamps, new paint, grips, shaftbands, headcovers etc.

Titleist 660 5-9 irons

▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Just now, north_east_pro said:

Like I mentioned in my first reply to your post the CS are not doing restorations at the moment. This option has been removed from the order form but you still can send in putters to get personalisation e.g. stamps, new paint, grips, shaftbands, headcovers etc.

I understand now..that’s my fault sorry 

5 minutes ago, williaza said:

I understand now..that’s my fault sorry 

When the CS resumes doing restorations, I doubt the shop will be willing to work on the NPB you described as having an aftermarket torch finish.

Regarding the other two putters you mentioned, I expect the 1998 Oil Can would be the best "investment", especially if it has standard 35" shaft length and the putter head is free of dings-scratches. The 33/350 Pro Platinum is not especially valuable/collectible because relatively few players use a 33" putter.

15 years ago people could buy beat up older Cameron's  for $100 to $200 , pay the CS $150 for a complete restoration, and resell the putter for a $100 to $200 profit. However in recent years the beat up cold Cameron's sell for $300 to $500 , the CS price increased to  $300 for a restoration, and people are now reluctant to buy refinished putters because they fear that the 10 grams of reduced head weight makes the restored putter too light.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Mil Spec hands down.  The 350 gram is highly sought after and sell for big bucks.

Edited by GolfGuitarsCars

Ping G400 SFT 12*

Ping G 5W 19*

Ping G  7W 21.5*

Ping G410 5 Hybrid 25*

Mizuno JPX 923 HM HL 6-GW

Cleveland CBX2 54* & 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport Mil Spec 340g @ 34”

Bettinardi BB1 350g @ 34”

4 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

When the CS resumes doing restorations, I doubt the shop will be willing to work on the NPB you described as having an aftermarket torch finish.

Regarding the other two putters you mentioned, I expect the 1998 Oil Can would be the best "investment", especially if it has standard 35" shaft length and the putter head is free of dings-scratches. The 33/350 Pro Platinum is not especially valuable/collectible because relatively few players use a 33" putter.

15 years ago people could buy beat up older Cameron's  for $100 to $200 , pay the CS $150 for a complete restoration, and resell the putter for a $100 to $200 profit. However in recent years the beat up cold Cameron's sell for $300 to $500 , the CS price increased to  $300 for a restoration, and people are now reluctant to buy refinished putters because they fear that the 10 grams of reduced head weight makes the restored putter too light.

Have you priced 350 gram Mil-Specs on eBay?  They are the most sought after of the line.  Put a 34 or 35 inch shaft in that 350 Mil Spec and you have the closest thing to a tour 009 without the price.  

Ping G400 SFT 12*

Ping G 5W 19*

Ping G  7W 21.5*

Ping G410 5 Hybrid 25*

Mizuno JPX 923 HM HL 6-GW

Cleveland CBX2 54* & 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport Mil Spec 340g @ 34”

Bettinardi BB1 350g @ 34”

13 minutes ago, GolfGuitarsCars said:

Mil Spec hands down.  The 350 gram is highly sought after and sell for big bucks.

On ebay the used 33/350 Mil Spec's have recently sold for $200 to $400. 

11 hours ago, GolfGuitarsCars said:

Have you priced 350 gram Mil-Specs on eBay?  They are the most sought after of the line.  Put a 34 or 35 inch shaft in that 350 Mil Spec and you have the closest thing to a tour 009 without the price.  

@GolfGuitarsCars is correct. The 350g heads sell for quite a premium over the other models listed by OP and for good reason. The only way they would sell below $300 today if is the head is so damaged it’s barely recognizable.

If you prefer the heavier weight, don’t give this option a second thought. Also, skip the custom shop and get it refinished by BOS. Far more finish options, including stripping the Pro Platinum off and going with a raw oil can / black oxide (I have two 350g one in each of these finishes). 

• Like 1

TM Sim2 Max 10.5º | AD-DI 6x

TM M5 3w | AD-DI 7x

TM Sim2 19º Hybrid | AD-DI 8s

Callaway X Forged CB | KBS C-Taper Lite S

Vokey Raw SM8 50.12 F-Grind

Vokey Raw SM8 54.10 S-Grind

Vokey Raw SM8 58.14 K-Grind

Byron Morgan Carbon DH89 350g | Scotty Mil-Spec 33”/350g

1 hour ago, brendan6q66 said:

@GolfGuitarsCars is correct. The 350g heads sell for quite a premium over the other models listed by OP and for good reason. The only way they would sell below $300 today if is the head is so damaged it’s barely recognizable.

If you prefer the heavier weight, don’t give this option a second thought. Also, skip the custom shop and get it refinished by BOS. Far more finish options, including stripping the Pro Platinum off and going with a raw oil can / black oxide (I have two 350g one in each of these finishes). 

I keep seeing people post about BOS on here but has anyone actually used them?

Their website looks great but when I tried to contact them a few months ago, the customer service was less than stellar.  I couldn't even get my questions answered or a call back.  And I'm a local guy too, I only live 20 minutes away from BOS.

I ended up sending my Scotty to the custom shop and couldn't be happier.  It also came back in less than 3 weeks.

2 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Their website looks great but when I tried to contact them a few months ago, the customer service was less than stellar.  I couldn't even get my questions answered or a call back.  And I'm a local guy too, I only live 20 minutes away from BOS.

I ended up sending my Scotty to the custom shop and couldn't be happier.  It also came back in less than 3 weeks.

They have refinished 4 Scotties for me within the past two years. Two 350g Mil-Spec heads, a JAT Prototype, and a 350g Studio Style NP2. Their work is exceptional. They also offer about a dozen more finish options than the custom shop, including several finishes for the older raw carbon heads that the custom shop abandoned. I've always known what I wanted when I've sent them something, so can't speak much for their customer service if you have lots of questions, and their website needs a lot of work.... would be super useful to have several photos of each finish. But as for the work itself, you can't do better.

Example photos of the 4 I've sent them below.

IMG_5796.jpeg.45f38e4c1c95fe8f34bc7f23206c08ac.jpegIMG_5797.jpeg.78f976bd7cebbddec9a9f59121d6865a.jpeg

• Like 4

TM Sim2 Max 10.5º | AD-DI 6x

TM M5 3w | AD-DI 7x

TM Sim2 19º Hybrid | AD-DI 8s

Callaway X Forged CB | KBS C-Taper Lite S

Vokey Raw SM8 50.12 F-Grind

Vokey Raw SM8 54.10 S-Grind

Vokey Raw SM8 58.14 K-Grind

Byron Morgan Carbon DH89 350g | Scotty Mil-Spec 33”/350g

1 minute ago, brendan6q66 said:

They have refinished 4 Scotties for me within the past two years. Two 350g Mil-Spec heads, a JAT Prototype, and a 350g Studio Style NP2. Their work is exceptional. They also offer about a dozen more finish options than the custom shop, including several finishes for the older raw carbon heads that the custom shop abandoned. I've always known what I wanted when I've sent them something, so can't speak much for their customer service if you have lots of questions, and their website needs a lot of work.... would be super useful to have several photos of each finish. But as for the work itself, you can't do better.

Example photos of the 4 I've sent them below.

IMG_5796.jpeg.45f38e4c1c95fe8f34bc7f23206c08ac.jpegIMG_5797.jpeg.78f976bd7cebbddec9a9f59121d6865a.jpeg

That oil can is downright beautiful

So very nice!

Yadi for President

2 hours ago, BYK said:

I didn't look it up, but I'm surprised they would go that low, specially right now when the Cameron prices have really taken off

This 33/350 Mil Spec, appearing to be in good condition,  sold May 21st for $280

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144038572660?hash=item21895e3274:g:EEsAAOSw3ipgndkX

Edited by Fairway14

23 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

This 33/350 Mil Spec, appearing to be in good condition,  sold May 21st for $280

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144038572660?hash=item21895e3274:g:EEsAAOSw3ipgndkX

Yah just looked

that was a good snag at 280, and a bit of an outlier

looks like the rest are all 400-600 and up

They are such great putters

Yadi for President

2 hours ago, abenjami said:

BOS used to do the finishes for Scotty on his early model putters.

1 minute ago, BYK said:

Yah just looked

that was a good snag at 280, and a bit of an outlier

looks like the rest are all 400-600 and up

They are such great putters

It seems the current market price for a 33/350 Mil Spec in average condition is about $300-$350 I think if the OP buys one and pays BOS $150 to refinish the head, he could probably sell it on ebay for approximately $450. 

33/350 Mil Spec that sold May 12th for $239.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144030233893?hash=item2188def525:g:mL8AAOSwy7hgkuL9

33/350 with matching correct cover which sold for $415, April 26th

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144037647979?hash=item218950166b:g:VtoAAOSwL75gnJiV

a refinished 33/350 that sold for $310

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333946891782?hash=item4dc0c92e06:g:qPAAAOSwOXxgah48

33/50 that was listed with a $250 buy-it-now and sold for best offer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384062134550?hash=item596be31916:g:IYcAAOSwoSNgXTh6

Back in the day the Mil-Spec line were as solid as he ever produced and were as good as some of the Circle T's that were coming out of San Marcos. So if you want one of the best he ever made available to the masses, get the Mil-Spec although I've always been a sucker for that oil can finish.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

12 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

It seems the current market price for a 33/350 Mil Spec in average condition is about $300-$350 I think if the OP buys one and pays BOS $150 to refinish the head, he could probably sell it on ebay for approximately $450. 

33/350 Mil Spec that sold May 12th for $239.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144030233893?hash=item2188def525:g:mL8AAOSwy7hgkuL9

33/350 with matching correct cover which sold for $415, April 26th

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144037647979?hash=item218950166b:g:VtoAAOSwL75gnJiV

a refinished 33/350 that sold for $310

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333946891782?hash=item4dc0c92e06:g:qPAAAOSwOXxgah48

33/50 that was listed with a $250 buy-it-now and sold for best offer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384062134550?hash=item596be31916:g:IYcAAOSwoSNgXTh6

Yah

I'm more in to the original ones not beat up too much

Some of the restos are OK, but not a fan of ones like the one ya listed above as all the face milling is gone, and I'm not too sure bout the finish

Yadi for President

If anyone has a Cameron that was originally finished in Oil Can or Black Oxide why would they not choose to send it to BOS for refinishing?  After all BOS was the company that originally developed the Cameron Oil Can finish and really are the only company that can apply a factory original version of that, even though Cameron/Acushnet severed ties with BOS years ago (another story).  If I had a putter that was Black Oxide, Oil Can or Pro Platinum I would never send it to the Custom Shop for refinishing if I wanted original.  BOS is the only option I would select.  I have had a couple putters restored in Oil Can in the past and both came out tremendous.  BOS customer service and communication was excellent.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Thank you for all the responses. I have to say, I was never a Scotty guy and then picked up a 2.6 to try CS and kind of went down the rabbit hole of the Scotty universe and there is something cool about the "community" and culture around the putters. I know most of it is marketing and created to make them seem more special than they are but it is a pretty cool thing. 

• 2 weeks later...