Junior golfers - taking it to the next level (learning to score)

My daughter is 12 and wants to join her middle school team next year.  She's been taking lessons for 6 years and has a WONDERFUL swing (lovely high draw) - but scoring is a challenge.  It's mostly short game, of which I'm working with her and her coach on - but if any of you have tips on how to 1) motivate extra practice WITHOUT making it a chore and 2) how to build that ability to get the ball in the cup, I would love to hear from you.  Any and all pointers and perspective quite welcome.  We play nearly every weekend on par 3 courses and she enjoys it quite a bit, it's just that next level that I'm trying to figure out how to get her to ascend to.

Thanks in advance!

I'd take her to a hole when no one was out there and have her start hitting shots from 80 yards, 70, 60, 50 and so on until she gets used to the exact level of force needed.  Maybe a half dozen shots from each distance right up to the green. I'd teach her how to play a bump-and-run shot rather than trying to fly everything right to the hole. I'd tell her to chip with the exact same stroke she uses to putt and practice that simple, easy swing.  Tell her to make SURE those hands stay in front of the club all the way through the ball on short shots. Hit shots with her, make it a contest. My teenage son and I like to challenge each other late in the afternoon when we have the course to ourselves and try to find tough shots around the green, out of bunker, rough, etc and hit three balls, person who gets closest of their three to hole wins. Give her some kind of handicap if necessary and if she beats you, take her out for a milkshake. Give her some motivation.  Your daughter sounds like my 18-yr-old son, beautiful swing but can't score. They need to learn to play golf and not pose. They need to learn to get the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes possible no matter what. If you can only get comfortable putting it in from 40 yards and that likely saves you a stroke, then you do it. If you can only get the ball in play with a dinky 2/3 swing because you're leaking oil badly, then that's what you do.  Kids get too interested in what they think they're supposed to do and forget the point is to get the blasted ball in the hole, forget the beautiful swing and the ego. Get it down in the hole as efficiently as possible. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Bogey as your partner.  Allows her to play freely and aggressively.  

I ended up with bogey as my partner for the back 9 Saturday - I was aggressively PO'd!

LOL, good idea from Monte.  

At 12 or even older, careful on motivating extra practice - not all kids are driven to practice "more", and some will get there and some won't.  I'd keep focusing on playing and having fun, let her coach worry about the "next level" and the short game - she's 12! 

Lots of goals and playing games. Start with things like, how many 3 footers can you make in a row? Can we hit 7/10 drives within a fairway on the range? Can we get 15/50 balls chipping within 4 feet? One ball on putting green, play 18 holes and see how low she can go. Have her set a personal best for all games, then have her attempt to improve them once a week. Have her write them down, too. Achieving small goals only makes the bigger ones closer. And yes, have her set some BIG goals for the summer, you never know, she might reach them! Goals keeps a player of any level focused and motivated. 

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero, CK Pro Tensei Orange 
Tour Edge Exotics Tour EX9, 15*
Mizuno CLK 19*
Mizuno JPX919 Tour, KBS C Taper, 4-PW
Fourteen Golf RM22 52*, 58*; Callaway PM Grind 64*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1
Bridgestone B RXS

The first question you need to ask is does she want to get better?????

First always keep it fun as they are having fun they are going to improve.

I see a lot parents who push their kids but the kid hates golf or just doesn't care.  If you are like most parents you have to work or have things to do and can't be on the practice rage all the time. A kid that doesn't like  golf is not going to practice.

As a parent you job is to help her find what she needs. If you can afford it find the right coaches. If you can't afford it there are a lot people who are willing to help just ask around and you find it in places like this forum.

Edited by tiger1873

On 5/31/2021 at 8:16 AM, Hawkeye77 said:

At 12 or even older, careful on motivating extra practice - not all kids are driven to practice "more", and some will get there and some won't.  I'd keep focusing on playing and having fun, let her coach worry about the "next level" and the short game - she's 12! 

This is true especially with girl's.  Had a discussion this weekend with a friend whose daughter grew up playing tournament golf with mine.  Guys and girl's are programmed differently as well as motivated by different things.  By the time high school is out, most girl's don't want to pursue golf anymore.  They are ready to move on.  Golf is great as a junior because it was time with dad.  As they get older their interests change and many continue to do it only because of dad.

As for the OP's question, I had a discussion with a collegiate coach this weekend.  Improving scores is directly related to Par 5 scoring and greens hit.  Work on one birdie a round on Par 5's either from getting there in two or great wedge play.  Aim for the fat part of the green with more than a 8i in.  With this said, girl's golf is vastly different than guys golf.  The two games just aren't played the same even with adjusted distances, on the same course, in the same tournament.  You may have to adjust those numbers in.

• Like 4

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

The OPs question of how do you turn a kid into a grinder? If anyone knows -  there are about 2 million coaches out there who want the answer! Lots of ways to incentivize them near term, but unless it is from them it won't last. Loving the game is key. Try whatever you can to get her to fall in love with golf. 

I think that internal motivation is a natural talent, the same way that free hips, good eye sight or dominant fast twitch fibers are. Beyond that being a competitor is another layer. Some kids burn to win and others (most) are happy being good at a sport.

I would say that 6 years of lessons should lead her to make her middle school team no problem!

Go to any driving range where there are kids. You can pick out the ones forced to be there, and those who demanded to be there pretty quickly.

My daughter needs no motivation to practice. She was born with an intense hatred of losing. That is from my wife's side. I was a kid who was just happy to be good at something. 

• Haha 1