Argonne69

Par 3 4th. 

spacer.png

Par 3 12th. 

spacer.png

Full trip photo set: American Dunes GC

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

The opening three holes are decent parkland style holes that make you wonder why there's a buzz about the place, but once you reach the 4th tee box the place really opens before your eyes. 

I had exactly the same reaction.

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Decent round given that I had no yardages. My SkyCaddie doesn't have the course yet, and I don't carry a laser. The sprinkler heads don't yet have yardages, so all you have is the 150 marker for reference. I was the only walker on the course, so I was thankful for my playing partners helping out when they could. One birdie and four bogies was more than acceptable. I put on old putter in my bag today, and I wonder why I ever took it out. It was clutch from inside 10 feet. 

Overall it was a very enjoyable round. Michigan is loaded with great courses, and I have to imagine that this one will easily crack the Top 10 when the next rankings come out. It still has a little growing to do, but I wouldn't hesitate to play it now if you're in the area. The $150 rate is a bit steep, but I believe part of the money is going to a veteran's fund. 

I believe the starter mentioned when we played that they have sprinkler heads on backorder, once those are in and installed they'll be marked.  Only an issue, really, for walkers -- the carts have GPS.

All profits from the course will go to the Folds of Honor charity, which provides scholarships to the children of deceased military.

Which set of tees did you play?

• Like 1

I played a Red/White combo. It was roughly 6400 yds. 

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Arcadia Bluffs South Course today. Well, it sure ain't the Bluffs course. More like a cow pasture with some crazy greens. The course is wide open, with only two trees on the property. The adjacent land does have some trees, but they don't do much to block the wind. It's trying to be a links course, but unfortunately the turf just in front of the greens was too soft, so many of our approaches that we tried to run up stuck short. There are some nice elevation changes even though it looks pancake flat. Fairways are generous for the most part, but there are strategically placed bunkers that, while small, will eat your drives. Seems bunkers don't have to be large to be penal. They're weirdly shapes slits. 

The greens are immense, and provide the real challenge. The 13th green is 60 yards deep. Undulations galore. False fronts. False sides. False backs. They were running 11 to 12, which multiplied the difficulty. I don't recall playing a course with this many back bunkers. They all seemed to come into play. Lol. The greens generally had multiple sections, so a GIR was pretty much immaterial. 

I thought there was a good mix of holes. The shorter 4s and 5s had more trouble off the tee, and even trickier greens. The long par 3 16th (215 White) had a 10 ft drop-off short left of the hole. Yes, I found it. Unfortunately too many of the holes blended together. The 13th was quite memorable though. 

Conditions were very good. Like American Dunes, the fairways were a little thin on turf, a tad brown. We were getting good rollout, but approach shots were dicey on the thin grass. Bunkers were odd. The sand was not wet, but was very compacted. It was groomed, so it seems like that was the look/feel they're going for. One couldn't really splash a shot out. I played them like wet sand. Greens were fantastic. Nice brownish tint and rolling smooth and fast. Pushing 12 I'd say. Pace was fine at 3:45. 

Decent round ballstriking with 12 fairways and 12 greens. The three putts were another thing. A green in regulation meant nothing if you were 50 feet away. A half dozen short putts wound up 6 feet past the cup. I love fast greens, but unfortunately I don't get to play them often enough to be comfortable with them. 

Highlight of the day was the par 4 13th with the humongous green. The pin was front right, and I pulled my approach. Somehow it managed to stop on the back left fringe 150 feet from the cup. I saw three breaks. I managed to lag it to 5 feet, and make the par putt. Gotta be my best lag putt ever. Highlight two was an opening birdie, with a sweet 8 iron to a back left pin that rolled to within 2 feet. Otherwise it was a grind around and on the greens. I walked the course, and it's not the easiest trek. 

Overall it was a fun day. The couple I played with were solid players, and great company. The course itself was overpriced. Take a cow pasture, install 18 greens, and charge $160. At $80 I'd say it's a good companion to the Bluffs course. I can see what they were trying to do, but it's simply not worth the price unless you like challenging greens. The greens on the Bluffs course are equally goofy, so you may as well play it for the coinage. Whistling Straits was a flat farm field before Pete Dye bulldozed it into the gem it is. Arcadia needed to do some sculpting. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

The crazy 13th (bowl) green. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: Arcadia Bluffs South

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jose c. said:

Played the South course last Thursday and the Bluffs fri&sat. The greens at the Bluffs were crazy fast the South were a little slower. We played in a terrible wind all 3 days it was brutal. Looks like your getting better weather which is a good thing.

The weather today was near perfect. I can't imagine hitting approaches on the South course in 15+ mph winds. Everything would have to be a low knockdown shot. There were plenty of pin positions today that had to be attacked from the air if one had any chance of avoiding a 30+ ft putt. The course might look like a links course, but there are many holes that one can't simply roll the ball up to the green. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Simply gorgeous day for golf. The forecast a few days ago called for rain, but it was dry as can be. I started the day with an early morning round on The Loop Red. A wonderful idea, and great execution. It plays like a links layout, although there are enough trees to consider it a parkland layout. Plenty of waste areas, bunkers, and general trouble. The fairways are generous, but wayward shots will be penalized. There are some elevation changes, but it's generally flat. Greens complexes are tricky, with multiple sectors, and plenty of false everything. Because the greens are designed to be played in both directions, there are numerous hidden elements if you go long. Tip: don't be long. Most of the greens are not elevated, allowing one to run the ball up. 

I though there was a good mix of holes. Long and short 3s, 4s, and 5s. Definitely used every club in my bag. 

Conditions were excellent. Fairways were a little brown, with good rollout. Bunkers were wonderful, with plenty of heavy sand. Not much rough on the course. The grasses off the fairway were clumpy, and you risked a very difficult lie in you found it. Greens were perfect. A little brown and rolling 11+. Pace was perfect. A single member asked me to join him as the first two out, and we had the course to ourselves. Can't beat an empty course with a knowledgeable member. 

Solid round with the driver. If you're hitting the ball well, you'll find fairways here. Similar to Mammoth Dunes. The greens are another story. I struggled to keep my approaches on the putting surface, and the up and downs were no picnic. A green in regulation was not a guaranteed par. Let's just say that I need to play the greens a few more times. Lol. 

Overall it's a great layout. If I had any complaint it would be that many of the holes blend together. A few elevated green complexes would be nice. At times it's difficult to distinguish the greens from the surrounding turf. Minor nits, though. Definitely a must play. 

• Like 1

After a quick break I was back out on the Forest Dunes course. You really couldn't ask for a different experience. While The Loop calls for a ground game, FD is classic aerial parkland golf. The course routes through a national forest, and the vast majority of (parkland) holes are isolated from each other. The others are prairie style with plenty of dunes. Forest Dunes is good description for the course. There are a few watery areas on the course, but the trees and bunkering are the main defenses. The greens are small and less dangerous that The Loop, but with the 11+ speeds they were still plenty challenging. 

Once again a good mix of holes. The par 3s were a little benign, except for the 9th that plays over water back towards the clubhouse. Par 5s needed a little more character. The short 4s were challenging, though. 

Conditions were excellent for the most part. Fairways were a little thin in spots, similar to The Loop. Bunkers were very sandy, but a majority had too many small rocks in them. They're in the process of replacing the sand, and the newer bunkers had generous amounts of clean white sand. Greens were great. A little brown and rolling 11+. Pace was fantastic. I went out as a single, and had an empty course to myself until the 18th tee. 

Good round, but I did run out of gas on the back nine. I walked The Loop, but rode this round. My driver started hot, but developed a two way miss on the back. I did manage a pair of nice birdies, but seven bogies didn't help the cause. Highlight of the round was a sweet 6 iron on the par 3 9th to four feet, setting up the first birdie of the day. 

Mixed feelings about the course. Forest Dunes ranks higher that the Loop courses, but I don't agree. It's a solid parkland layout, but at some point the holes start blending together. A little too much parkland I guess. The "dunes" holes help break the monotony, but they don't do enough. It's a tough call. Conditions are great. The holes are challenging. As a first time visitor it just doesn't have a "Wow" factor. It's actually a good companion for The Loop, as it provides a much different experience. Worth a play for sure, though. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

The Loop Red 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: The Loop Red

Forest Dunes 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: Forest Dunes

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Mixed feelings about the course. Forest Dunes ranks higher that the Loop courses, but I don't agree. It's a solid parkland layout, but at some point the holes start blending together. A little too much parkland I guess. The "dunes" holes help break the monotony, but they don't do enough. It's a tough call. Conditions are great. The holes are challenging. As a first time visitor it just doesn't have a "Wow" factor. It's actually a good companion for The Loop, as it provides a much different experience. Worth a play for sure, though. 

+1

I finished the trip with an early morning round at The Meadows at Grand Valley State University. I was planning to play The Mines, but they had a shotgun start going off at 9, and I wasn't sure how that was going to work. I'm glad I found Meadows. For $35 I don't think you can go wrong. It's a prairie style course with plenty of nasty tall grass if you get offline. There are a few water holes, but the main defense is the junk and the fairways bunkers. There are some minor elevation changes, but otherwise it's fairly flat. The greens are fairly small, and relatively benign. Certainly no Arcadia South. Decent mix of holes, but few are memorable. Of course this isn't a destination course, so nothing wrong with a little boring. 

Humidity was sky high this morning, so the course was quite wet. Fairways were lush. Rough was thick. The junk was thicker. Bunkers were groomed, and had plenty of sand. Greens looked great, and were rolling 9 to 10 due to the dampness. A little faster on the closing holes. Pace was excellent. I caught another break today. I was scheduled to go off in the second group, but the first group had a no-show. I joined them for two holes before the missing player showed up. He was buddies with two of the players, so the other single and I headed out as a twosome on the open course. Sweet. 

Iffy day. Fifth round on the trip and I ran out of gas. Hit a few quality shots, but more than a few fat irons that came up short. Chipping wasn't winning any prizes, and after 3 days of lightning quick greens I couldn't adjust to the slower speeds. Fun time nonetheless. 

The course isn't going to win any awards, but it's a solid layout at a great price. Definitely recommend it if you're looking for a final round as you travel through the area. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full photo set: The Meadows at GVSU

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I finished the trip with an early morning round at The Meadows at Grand Valley State University. I was planning to play The Mines, but they had a shotgun start going off at 9, and I wasn't sure how that was going to work. I'm glad I found Meadows. For $35 I don't think you can go wrong. It's a prairie style course with plenty of nasty tall grass if you get offline. There are a few water holes, but the main defense is the junk and the fairways bunkers. There are some minor elevation changes, but otherwise it's fairly flat. The greens are fairly small, and relatively benign. Certainly no Arcadia South. Decent mix of holes, but few are memorable. Of course this isn't a destination course, so nothing wrong with a little boring. 

Humidity was sky high this morning, so the course was quite wet. Fairways were lush. Rough was thick. The junk was thicker. Bunkers were groomed, and had plenty of sand. Greens looked great, and were rolling 9 to 10 due to the dampness. A little faster on the closing holes. Pace was excellent. I caught another break today. I was scheduled to go off in the second group, but the first group had a no-show. I joined them for two holes before the missing player showed up. He was buddies with two of the players, so the other single and I headed out as a twosome on the open course. Sweet. 

Iffy day. Fifth round on the trip and I ran out of gas. Hit a few quality shots, but more than a few fat irons that came up short. Chipping wasn't winning any prizes, and after 3 days of lightning quick greens I couldn't adjust to the slower speeds. Fun time nonetheless. 

The course isn't going to win any awards, but it's a solid layout at a great price. Definitely recommend it if you're looking for a final round as you travel through the area. 

I was looking forward to reading your recap of The Mines, but you definitely made the right choice. When I know a course has an event (especially a shotgun) even remotely close to the time I wish to play, that's an automatic no-go. Nothing worse than all-of-sudden getting caught in the middle of an outing.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

2 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

I was looking forward to reading your recap of The Mines, but you definitely made the right choice. When I know a course has an event (especially a shotgun) even remotely close to the time I wish to play, that's an automatic no-go. Nothing worse than all-of-sudden getting caught in the middle of an outing.

Yeah, they wouldn't even give me a tee time. They said to show up between 8 and 8:30, and they'd try to squeeze me in. Uh, thanks but no thanks. I'll try to play the course on a future trip.

9 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Yeah, they wouldn't even give me a tee time. They said to show up between 8 and 8:30, and they'd try to squeeze me in. Uh, thanks but no thanks. I'll try to play the course on a future trip.

Yikes. That's all the fun of a 5 hour shotgun round, without the lunch and the door prizes of the outing. Tough decision, lol!

LD & I are headed to Grand Rapids in a few weeks. We have never played The Mines, so it may be on the list of courses to play. That said, the course seems to be pretty polarizing, hence my interest in your review. 

The review on the Meadows was helpful though. Sounds like a good option when the legs are going on the backend of a trip. Always good to have that option in the bag.

Edited by TheBear95
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

Fun trip, but that was a lot of driving for 5 rounds. Can we please move northern Michigan closer to Chicago? Lol. Here's how I'd rank the courses:

1) The Loop (Red) - I give this the top spot only because it's so different from what I assume the majority of us are used to playing. About as close to real links golf as one can get in the Midwest. The greens are the real test. I found many of the looks from the tee fairly boring, so it doesn't win awards for visual "wow". I'd take Mammoth Dunes 7 out of 10 days. The isolation and expansive views are wonderful, though. 

2) American Dunes - Still needs some maturing, but they have a real gem on their hands. I'd like to see a little more trouble off the tee, but that's a minor nit. 

3) Forest Dunes - Solid layout and top notch conditions, but as noted I think the opening stretch is a little monotonous. The back nine is more open, and provides better variety. It certainly requires a well behaved driver. If you're prone to spraying the ball, it will be a long day.

4) Arcadia South - Loved the challenging greens, but the rest left me wanting. If I wanted to stand in a pasture for several hours, I'd visit a farm. Get a bulldozer, and start moving some dirt.

5) The Meadows - A little unfair to throw this in the mix, but if I was ranking on value only it would easily jump ahead of Arcadia South. It's a solid local track that I'd play regularly if I was a local. Conditions were way better than you'd expect for $35.

Agree that The Meadows is an excellent value.  It's almost always in great condition despite the fact that it gets a lot of play.  They can speed the greens up but I also found them slow when I played there a couple weeks ago.  At least they were smooth for poa.

Always interesting to try and compare and rank destination courses like Forest Dunes versus daily play courses like the Meadows.  Makes for a good argument I suppose.

Thank you for the reviews, always enjoy your TRs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dobesbsoon said:

@Argonne69, I love reading your trip reports.  It’s a great template and I enjoy your candid point of view on the courses you play.  Just wanted to say thanks as I’ve read many of your reports. 

If/when you come back to Michigan, what would be on your list to play next time?

I need to make a trip to the UP. Greywalls would be at the top of the list.

I'll return to the Gaylord/Petoskey area. 'Plenty of excellent courses in the area that I haven't played, e.g. LochenHeath, Belvedere.

I played American Dunes a couple of weeks ago and I agree with you that it’s generally top notch as far as architecture. Having said that, when we played, the greens wouldn’t hold a pitch, let alone an approach shot. When discussing afterward, we agreed we’d like to play again but in two or three years out when the maintenance routine shows its results.

Also, the greens fees seem a bit steep regardless of where the profits go but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. And the restaurant/bar food was subpar.

Too bad you missed The Mines. It’s under new ownership. I’ll be interested to see if the course conditioning changes for the better or the worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

I played American Dunes a couple of weeks ago and I agree with you that it’s generally top notch as far as architecture. Having said that, when we played, the greens wouldn’t hold a pitch, let alone an approach shot. When discussing afterward, we agreed we’d like to play again but in two or three years out when the maintenance routine shows its results.

Also, the greens fees seem a bit steep regardless of where the profits go but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. And the restaurant/bar food was subpar.

Too bad you missed The Mines. It’s under new ownership. I’ll be interested to see if the course conditioning changes for the better or the worse.

Played American over this past weekend and agree. Course was awesome and am really excited to play it again when it matures.

Biggest thing that kind of jumped out at me and my buddy i played it with was how over the top it was in honoring Jack Nicklaus.

I thought it was great the acknowledgements to our service members on the way into the clubhouse from the parking lot, the plaques on each tee box commemorating a service member who was killed in the line of duty that had a dependent recipient of a folds of honor scholarship, and even the videos from family members between certain holes on the cart screens.

However, there seemed to be just as much about Jack as there was about the military:

-half the items in the pro shop had Jack's name, accomplishments, or logo on it

-his quotes are pasted everywhere

-there are plaques on every tee box right next to folds of honor ones listing his major wins, and

-you would get a 3+ minute video in the cart every third hole of him talking about his career wins.

I dont know nor have read anything the details of the agreement for his firm to design the course other than he waived his $3 million design fee but it seems like he did it in exchange for the course pasting his name/face everywhere. It just rubbed me the wrong way for a course that very vocally has the goal of honoring the military 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zac1321 said:

Played American over this past weekend and agree. Course was awesome and am really excited to play it again when it matures.

Biggest thing that kind of jumped out at me and my buddy i played it with was how over the top it was in honoring Jack Nicklaus.

I thought it was great the acknowledgements to our service members on the way into the clubhouse from the parking lot, the plaques on each tee box commemorating a service member who was killed in the line of duty that had a dependent recipient of a folds of honor scholarship, and even the videos from family members between certain holes on the cart screens.

However, there seemed to be just as much about Jack as there was about the military:

-half the items in the pro shop had Jack's name, accomplishments, or logo on it

-his quotes are pasted everywhere

-there are plaques on every tee box right next to folds of honor ones listing his major wins, and

-you would get a 3+ minute video in the cart every third hole of him talking about his career wins.

I dont know nor have read anything the details of the agreement for his firm to design the course other than he waived his $3 million design fee but it seems like he did it in exchange for the course pasting his name/face everywhere. It just rubbed me the wrong way for a course that very vocally has the goal of honoring the military 

Agree. I’m glad I quickly figured out that tapping the GPS would end those videos.

The cart GPS made more noises than a mini-car full of circus clowns. I’ve never been more annoyed by a golf cart GPS.

10 minutes ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

Agree. I’m glad I quickly figured out that tapping the GPS would end those videos.

The cart GPS made more noises than a mini-car full of circus clowns. I’ve never been more annoyed by a golf cart GPS.

Lol. 'Glad I walked. Cart GPS' drive me nuts, especially when they shut down because it thinks you're in a restricted area, but you're on the stupid cart path.

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Lol. 'Glad I walked. Cart GPS' drive me nuts, especially when they shut down because it thinks you're in a restricted area, but you're on the stupid cart path.

we were paired up with a really nice older guy who got stuck in "restricted" areas just about every 3rd hole. poor guy kept doing donuts in reverse haha

20 hours ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

Also was not a big fan of the cart GPS.  That said I feel like the videos are understandable - it's a destination course with a couple themes (Folds of Honor and Nicklaus).  But yes, long and loud and excessive.  And the geofencing could use some work.

20 hours ago, Zac1321 said:

It's been a while since I have read the million backstory articles out there but I think that is entirely intentional.  I can't do the research at the moment but I thought I read that this is expected to be Jack's final design -- and I could be remembering that wrong -- or at least his last signature course.  I would imagine that Nicklaus Design will continue, just with less Jack.

22 hours ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

Interesting how different experiences could be -- our group was surprised how well the greens held shots considering that they are rock hard like all new greens.  You couldn't find a ball mark on most of them, not that any of use were coming in a pro trajectory.  And we were all very pleased with the quality of the food, though the menu is small and the prices not cheap.

• Like 1

This is Jack's last design.  He also did it for free due to the course's mission and ties to Folds of Honor.  He made 15+ trips to property during construction and even on signature projects, he usually only is on site 3 -4 times. 

It is sawn song as a designer and is a legacy for him as a human by honoring those who have served and sacrificed.  I am not a huge Jack Nicklaus design fan, but I respect his work and what he did there very much. 

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1