Will any current manufacturers go the way of MacGregor?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not so sure that having your wagon hitched to a major apparel brand means that much.  It wasn’t enough for Nike Golf or Taylor Made.

If PXG releases a tetherball or badminton set, we'll know who is going down next.

Kind of worry about Wilson. They are more of a MacGregor contemporary than current big manufacturer, however.

Kind of worry about Wilson. They are more of a MacGregor contemporary than current big manufacturer, however.

• Like 3

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist 915F 15* (set 16.5*)Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist 904F 19* YS6 
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48/53 Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 56.10 SM6
Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2018 35”
Vessel Player 2.0 14 way bag
Titleist Pro V1

Posted (edited)

I might guess Cleveland, if you consider them on par with what MacGregor was.  If you’re talking about a more major manufacturer, then my guess could go with Cobra, Srixon, or even Taylor Made.  Wilson has its ups and downs too.
The ones that aren’t going anywhere anytime soon (probably) are Callaway, Ping, Titleist, and Mizuno.

Edited by Texas Golfer

Cobra Fly Z+
Bridgestone J33 3W
Callaway Steelhead XR, 3H,4H, 5-SW

Wilson Harmonized 60* LW
Wilson Staff 8882

Posted (edited)

If its corporate parent becomes tired of owning a second tier company: Wilson. 
TaylorMade was recently acquired at an inflated price and I don’t think it will ultimately be profitable for its new owners. It is not too big to fail. 
PXG-Although they’ve reduced prices in pursuit of revenue. 

Edited by PJE
Spelling
  • Like 2

"I want a hamburger..no, a cheeseburger, I want a hot dog. I want a milkshake."

"You'll get nothing and like it."

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, memphishorn said:

I doubt it.  Wilson is owned by a huge company based out of Finland with deep pockets and wants to keep the company just to have a presence in the sport.  They only give them just enough money to survive.  

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 2

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Saw a box set commercial for pxg yesterday. So certainly possible for them.  Although callaway has sold box sets for years.  

and I’ve recently had some pxg clubs Gen 3 hybrids and a black Jack armlock.  Very high quality clubs.  Ultimately just didn’t fit me better than what I had. They’re odd to me because despite the high price initially , you can buy them for pennies second handed if it’s in a local shop.  Parsons ability to float them is the difference maker.  Will be interesting to see.  

Mavrik triple diamond 10.5* Diamana TB 70TX 

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensie CK Blue 80 TX  

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila rogue proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

9 hours ago, Stevens24 said:

Srixon-Cleveland are the same company as well as XXIO. While I could see Cleveland becoming just a wedge company I don’t see either going anywhere. Wilson would be my call but they are close already. 

Cleveland if they just do wedges and putters I think they'd be just fine being part of Srixon and XXIO unless they decide to merge Srixon and Cleveland into one brand but that probably won't happen due to markets. 

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

WITB Thread

Just now, bladehunter said:

Saw a box set commercial for pxg yesterday. So certainly possible for them.  Although callaway has sold box sets for years.  

and I’ve recently had some pxg clubs Gen 3 hybrids and a black Jack armlock.  Very high quality clubs.  Ultimately just didn’t fit me better than what I had. They’re odd to me because despite the high price initially , you can buy them for pennies second handed if it’s in a local shop.  Parsons ability to float them is the difference maker.  Will be interesting to see.  

I don't think box sets are bad, the clubs are not the greatest but it's planting the brand seed. How many people have probably bought a Callaway box set and then when they decide to upgrade their first thought is "I think I'll stick with Callaway" and that box set could lead to a long time customer or at least a large purchase. 

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

WITB Thread

Just now, MattM97 said:

I don't think box sets are bad, the clubs are not the greatest but it's planting the brand seed. How many people have probably bought a Callaway box set and then when they decide to upgrade their first thought is "I think I'll stick with Callaway" and that box set could lead to a long time customer or at least a large purchase. 

No I don’t either. But. That is what McGregor was reduced to basically. Beginner sets.  I came to the game late. And my first knowledge of mcgregor was “ beginner sets “.  I now know how far they fell to get there. 

• Like 1

Mavrik triple diamond 10.5* Diamana TB 70TX 

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensie CK Blue 80 TX  

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila rogue proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

My vote is Wilson.

Other than Woodland and Harrington their tour presence is very low profile. I didn't even know Harrington was a staffer until I looked it up.

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Srixon ZXU #2 : Recoil 95 F4

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54: Nippon Modus2 120/125 S 

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125 Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Posted (edited)

My first guess is Wilson.  As a subsidiary of a massive company with a presence in almost every sport, I don't really see the type of dedication to golf that you'd like to see from the major players. R&D is not of huge importance to them, and they have a minimal presence on tour.  They may/are looking simply for some market share in the form of low-cost/high-margin equipment attracting beginners and casual golfers.  They used to be a much more popular brand with some better players.  I'm sure everyone here over 50 or at least their parents/uncles/etc. at some point had some pro staff clubs.

Of the big-4, I have a hard time seeing any of them going that route unless one gets bought out by another.

Taylormade has gone from one huge corporation (Addidas) to another (KPS), but I feel as KPS is a better fit as a private equity firm.  They may be more inclined to have a hands-off management style and keep TM as the #1 manufacturer in golf.

Callaway, Ping and Titleist I really don't see going anywhere.  A few years ago I might have said Callaway could fit this mold, but they've been mounting a big comeback with some very good product.

Cobra, owned by Puma, I think is in a great position to unseat one of Callaway, Ping or Titleist.  They really do a good job with their R&D and innovation.  (Look at the F9 driver, then go take a look at the SIM.  Lots of similarities there)  If I'm seeing innovation, I see a positive future outlook.  Manufacturers who are a bit more stagnant are going to be more likely to go the way of McGregor (Ping and Callaway come to mind here out of the big 4/5)

Mizuno made ~1.3BUSD in net profit last year alone compared to ~$940M USD for Wilson.  They're in a good position, especially considering their huge presence in other sports like baseball.  However, Mizuno may shift some of the attention away from golf in the future much like Wilson.  

Srixon owned by a company who also owned dunlop/maxfli and manufactured for others.  I could see them being purchased for their patent assets at some point, but they don't have nearly the presence McGregor once did.  My guess is they at some point disappear much like Adams golf as a more prevalent player buys them.

Edited by amace04

Cleveland is already on it's way out in my opinion. Although being a part of Srixon might keep them around for a while.

10-20 years ago they were all over the place. You would see at least one 588 wedge in every golfers bag, the launcher drivers were really popular as well, and I knew a good bit of people that played those tour action irons. 

Fast forward to 2021 and aside from the occasional RTX wedge I don't ever see any Cleveland clubs in peoples bags. Even the wedges have fallen out of popularity. I see 10x as many Vokeys, TM, and Callaway wedges compared to Cleveland.

52 minutes ago, amace04 said:

Cobra, owned by Puma, I think is in a great position to unseat one of Callaway, Ping or Titleist.  They really do a good job with their R&D and innovation.  (Look at the F9 driver, then go take a look at the SIM.  Lots of similarities there)  If I'm seeing innovation, I see a positive future outlook.  Manufacturers who are a bit more stagnant are going to be more likely to go the way of McGregor (Ping and Callaway come to mind here out of the big 4/5)

Key part in bold. Puma is a huge international brand and apparel has high profit margins. I don't see Cobra going anywhere but up over the next decade.

Will be interesting to see how long the current golf boom lasts and how that tapers.

G400Max Xtorsion 60S | G425 5W Orange 75S - 4-5H Orange 80S

ZX7 6-AW Recoil 95F3 | Glide3 Eye2 56-60 | ER2B - Nova

in rotation: F9 3W Devo 7S - 3H Devo 8S

Wilson is the only company comparable to MacGregor. Cleveland doesn't make volley balls, or tennis racquets, or even bowling pins. Yet MacGregor and Wilson do or did, or even coul MacGregor once made quality golf gear but decided to make a buck instead. Wilson might decide to do the same.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged Blade 4, 5, 7-PW

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

1 minute ago, Texas Golfer said:

I’m not so sure that having your wagon hitched to a major apparel brand means that much.  It wasn’t enough for Nike Golf or Taylor Made.

The difference was Nike Golf was Nike and the margin wasn't there in hardware. Might have been different if Nike would have kept the company they bought whole and just bankrolled them. But as anyone knows, that isn't Nikes style. Just ask Bauer.

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

6 minutes ago, lefthack said:

Wilson is the only company comparable to MacGregor. Cleveland doesn't make volley balls, or tennis racquets, or even bowling pins. Yet MacGregor and Wilson do or did, or even coul MacGregor once made quality golf gear but decided to make a buck instead. Wilson might decide to do the same.

True.  The demise of Spalding comes to mind as a similar type of sporting goods company.

Cobra Fly Z+
Bridgestone J33 3W
Callaway Steelhead XR, 3H,4H, 5-SW

Wilson Harmonized 60* LW
Wilson Staff 8882

I think Wilson is most likely.  They are part of a large umbrella, and the Wilson Sporting Goods name will stay around, but if it's possible that the golf line could get phased out.  

Cobra is interesting.  They are innovative right now, and that bodes well for them IMO for the next few years.  I realize they are owned by Puma, but that can always change based on business models.  They used to be owned by Acushnet.  I remember when Titleist was Acushnet's "Players Clubs", and Cobra was their GI line.  TM was owned by Adidas and they were mismanaged into a sale, there is at least a possibility the same fate could happen to Cobra. 

I think it's less about the status of OEMs right now, but more along the lines of if OEM's owners make a series of poor business decisions.  Golf is booming right now, but at some point it'll go back to equilibrium.  Those that adapt will survive/flourish, and those that miscalculate could begin a downward trend, at least for a few product cycles.  

It'll be interesting to see.  

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, Ventus Black 6X 
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, Ventus Blue 7X
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19.5*, Ventus Blue 9X

TaylorMade P7MC 4-PW, DG TI X100
TaylorMade MG2 50, 54, 58, DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 (2021)

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Texas Golfer said:

True.  The demise of Spalding comes to mind as a similar type of sporting goods company.

AMC once owned Harley Davidson, so there was that.

<edit> I stumbled onto a piece about Bridgestone and how they refused to do the "every year release" or even every other year unless they felt they could honestly provide something better than what they currently offered. It made me look at them with a little more respect.

Edited by lefthack
  • Like 2

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

PXG.  Overpriced. Nothing special.

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5° A-1 setting Aldila Tour Green 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jvincent said:

My vote is Wilson.

Other than Woodland and Harrington their tour presence is very low profile. I didn't even know Harrington was a staffer until I looked it up.

Add Kevin Streelman to that list.

It should probably be said, though, that Wilson has ramped up the investment capital the last few years.  In as much as their irons go, the Staff Model Blades and Staff Model CBs are top notch.  I think the woods still have a long way to go, but the general consensus is that their newer irons are as good, or better, than anything out there.

Edited by stormin70

Titleist TS2 D (10.5*) KuroKage Black DC 50 S

Titleist TS2 F (16.5*) KuroKage Black DC 55 R

Titleist TS2 H (21.0*) Tensei CK Pro Red 60 R

PING G410 Crossover (23.0*) Alta CB 70 Red R
PING i210 5-PW Blue Dot Dynamic Gold 105 R

Cleveland CBX-2 (50, 54, 58) Dynamic Gold 115 WF
Scotty Cameron Laguna Flo-Jet
1 hour ago, lefthack said:

AMC once owned Harley Davidson, so there was that.

<edit> I stumbled onto a piece about Bridgestone and how they refused to do the "every year release" or even every other year unless they felt they could honestly provide something better than what they currently offered. It made me look at them with a little more respect.

AMF owned Harley ( the bowling ball years )

It would be interesting to see how this ages. I would imagine the lowest revenue in the past two years will be top of the list, whoever that may be. I'm actually playing the last irons Mac had put out that were great until Golfsmith took over the brand and created terrible clubs. Look at what happened to Golfsmith - once a major retailer that went full on dumpster fire in a hurry. 

My guess is Wilson (exiting golf). 

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM 2 Max 9* - AD DI 6x 

Taylormade SIM 2 Max 15* - AV Raw Blue 75x 

Taylormade SIM Max 19* - Ventus 7x

Titleist 620 CB 3-PW - PX LZ 6.0 

Titleist Vokey SM8 52.08/F and 58.08/M 

TaylorMade TP Hydro Blast Del Monte/MyTP Juno

Bridgestone Tour B XS Tiger

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Texas Golfer said:

On its own, no.  My logic is as follows:

1. Puma has a ton of capital and cash.  They can invest as much as they see fit into the Cobra brand.

2. Cobra has arguably been leading the way innovation-wise for the past few years.  Nike was never like that, and TM had a solid decade of decent, but very forgettable cookie-cutter products.

3. Cobra has made a push from a distant follower brand, to a brand who's new releases are just as good, if not better than what the big-4 pump out. 

I haven't seen their balance sheets, but I've gotta think Cobra is poised to do very, very well this decade.  

Edited by amace04

Taylor Made just based of the two recent sales...one group made a killing, the most recent group is paying a premium.  That premium will put additional pressure leading to poor decisions that will impact them in the long-term.  

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus Black 7X                                         Taylor Made Original One 13.5* Aldila ATX 75X

Titleist TSi3 16.5* Rogue Silver 80TX                                      Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TS3 20* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist T-MB 4, 5 Recoil Proto 110 F5                                      Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Honma TR20V 6-11 Recoil Proto 125 F5                                  Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* Recoil Wedge Proto F5                       Ping Vault Anser 2

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Taylor Made Spider FCG L-Neck

7 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Not sure the PXG full bag set is the typical “box set.” 

• Like 1