Golf records that are safe

cristphoto

Great thread. Got me thinking of some others which are more obscure but unlikely to be beaten.

Anthony Kim's 11 birdies in a round at Augusta in 2009. With the course now playing longer, 12 seems unlikely.

Aaron Baddeley winning the Australian Open as an amateur in 1999 and then defending it as a professional in 2000.

Miguel Angel Jiminez' record of 707 appearances on the European Tour. 

Edited by KennyP
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Talent pool is way better and bigger nowadays so 1 and 2 won't happen again.  I doubt Tiger will win 4 more majors.  Getting older and now he has the catastrophic injury to both legs.  I don't he'll be back until 2023.  I think Phil's win last week at the PGA at 50 will be safe for awhile although I expect that it will happen again within the next 50 years. 

If a guy shows up and he’s a TW clone in every way, except for injuries...

He wins 18 Majors no problem. 

Phil (old) and TW (old AND decrepit 🤣) beating all these slugs at the PGA and Masters shows that TW 1.0 would have destroyed them all. 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KennyP said:

Tiger's 3 US amateurs in a row. If anyone ever comes along again with that talent they won't stay amateur long enough to even attempt it.

Seve's 50 European Tour wins. Too much depth now to win on average 5 per year for 10 years, plus the lure of bigger purses Stateside.

Probably true. But it can be done if someone stays an am.  I would point to spieths 2 in 3 years for the junior am.  ( 09 and 11). So I think we can see a 3 time junior winner.  But you’re right.  They won’t stay ams long enough to get 3 us ams.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

any record currently held by TW is safe because he is a once in a generation phenomena..in fact IMO many golf records are safe because we may never see someone dominate this game again in our lifetimes....scoring records may fall in relation to par...Jack's 18 is safe because if TW cant beat it nobody alive will either

4 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Probably true. But it can be done if someone stays an am.  I would point to spieths 2 in 3 years for the junior am.  ( 09 and 11). So I think we can see a 3 time junior winner.  But you’re right.  They won’t stay ams long enough to get 3 us ams.  

staying a amateur gives you a better chance at winning three in a row? and you dont stay a junior forever, how many times did Spieth win the amateur championship but that's besides the point Tiger won 6 in a row which is hard to believe and will never be done again. Tiger is the only player in the amateur's 126 year history to win 3 in a row

Edited by freeze16172002

9 hours ago, golfandfishing said:

The 3 straight US Ams alone will be almost impossible to repeat. The amount of money available to a guy after just one is often too high to refuse, back to back titles now must be worth $15 million or more plus whatever they can make playing for prize money. 

would have to be someone like McNeely where money is not a issue

Edited by freeze16172002
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Talent pool is way better and bigger nowadays so 1 and 2 won't happen again.  I doubt Tiger will win 4 more majors.  Getting older and now he has the catastrophic injury to both legs.  I don't he'll be back until 2023.  I think Phil's win last week at the PGA at 50 will be safe for awhile although I expect that it will happen again within the next 50 years. 

Didn't Alex Smith come back to playing in the NFL after a similar leg injury in 1.5-2 years? And he almost died. I bet we see Tiger next season. 

6 minutes ago, smturner1203 said:

Didn't Alex Smith come back to playing in the NFL after a similar leg injury in 1.5-2 years? And he almost died. I bet we see Tiger next season. 

Tiger?

I can’t imagine life on tour and walking all over the place (whenever he can actually walk again) for 4 days has much appeal for him at his age and decrepit body.

Im sure he will rehab and look to get back in golf shape. But the last comeback to get in shape to the point he could win again almost drove him into the ground.

I think he will see there is not much light at the end of the tunnel to drive him as hard as required to play regularly enough to win out there.

If it was just this accident and he was 10 years younger, maybe he could do a Hogan and come back strong.

But you got the messed up knee, the screwed together back, and now all these bones knitting back together going into his mid 40s?

But, I disagree that we won’t see another truly “great one” again. 

One day a kid will come out knocking the cover off the ball like Rory, have the wedge skills,  and putting lights out. 

Guaranteed it’s coming. Maybe not as dominant as TW, but a legit 10 major winner. 

38 minutes ago, freeze16172002 said:

staying a amateur gives you a better chance at winning three in a row? and you dont stay a junior forever, how many times did Spieth win the amateur championship but that's besides the point Tiger won 6 in a row which is hard to believe and will never be done again. Tiger is the only player in the amateur's 126 year history to win 3 in a row

My point was most don’t stay ams long enough to do it.  The window is around age 19-24 to win an am.  What really good player can you name THats stayed an am past 20-21?  It just doesn’t happen anymore.  

so saying it can’t be done isn’t the same as saying it won’t be done. I agree it won’t be done. But there’s no reason why it couldn’t be done IF someone stayed long enough and tried.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

To me the easily biggest record is the number of wrx’rs that can look at the old records and not think they were achieved by a lack of depth on tour. Jack’s major record….Hogan and his top 3’s…..Nelson 11 straight and 18 in a season.  
  If no one can possibly achieve those marks today how are the wins in various eras apples to apples in threads like the top 10 list that Phil belongs on?

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

13 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

My point was most don’t stay ams long enough to do it.  The window is around age 19-24 to win an am.  What really good player can you name THats stayed an am past 20-21?  It just doesn’t happen anymore.  

so saying it can’t be done isn’t the same as saying it won’t be done. I agree it won’t be done. But there’s no reason why it couldn’t be done IF someone stayed long enough and tried.  

126 years and no one has done it, phil stayed four years in college. Jones was a career amateur and couldn't do it.  

1 hour ago, smturner1203 said:

He only injured one leg.  Tiger injured both.  Way harder to come back from what is essentially two shattered legs.  I had a client who had a very similar injury to Alex Smith.  It took him almost 2 years to recover.  He played in the minors and it took him almost 2 years to completely heal up.  This included all the time he had to spend in rehab.  He was taking all sorts of "supplements" to speed up recovery.  I would like to add that he was 26 at the time.  Tiger's leg injuries are way more serious than you think and he's in his mid 40's.  Takes longer to heal.   

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

2 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

He only injured one leg.  Tiger injured both.  Way harder to come back from what is essentially two shattered legs.  I had a client who had a very similar injury to Alex Smith.  It took him almost 2 years to recover.  He played in the minors and it took him almost 2 years to completely heal up.  This included all the time he had to spend in rehab.  He was taking all sorts of "supplements" to speed up recovery.  I almost would like to add that he was 26 at the time.  Tiger's leg injuries are way more serious than you think and he's in his mid 40's.  Takes longer to heal.   

Tigers medical records were released?

9 minutes ago, freeze16172002 said:

Tigers medical records were released?

They reported what type of injuries he suffered earlier this year after he was admitted to the ER.  It was all over the news.  There's no down playing it.  Traumatic injuries to both legs.  Broken bones and torn soft tissue.  I also stated that he's in his mid 40's.  Takes longer to heal the older you are.  I'm a personal trainer that works with both high level ams and pro athletes.  I work with PT's all the time.  I have an uncle who's a podiatrist.  I go to an ortho that specializes in sports injuries and teaches at a local university.  If Tiger comes back next year, then that's awesome and more power to him.  All I'm saying is that it's highly doubtful.  And yes, I stand by my statement that Tiger's injuries are very serious.  Some of you guys act like he'll pop right back up from this.   

Edited by phizzy30

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

1 minute ago, phizzy30 said:

They reported what type of injuries he suffered earlier this year after he was admitted to the ER.  It was all over the news.  There's no down playing it.  Traumatic injuries to both legs.  Broken bones and torn soft tissue.  I also stated that he's in his mid 40's.  Takes longer to heal the older you are.  I'm a personal trainer that works with both high level ams and pro athletes.  I work with PT's all the time.  I have an uncle who's a podiatrist.  I go to an ortho that specializes in sports injuries and teaches at a local university.  If Tiger comes back next year, then that's awesome and more power to him.  All I'm saying is that it's highly doubtful.  And yes, I stand by my statement that Tiger's injuries are very serious.  Some of you guys act like he'll pop right back up from this.   

could have just said yes

Just now, freeze16172002 said:

could have just said yes

YES.  Sorry about the long post. 

58 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Tiger?

I can’t imagine life on tour and walking all over the place (whenever he can actually walk again) for 4 days has much appeal for him at his age and decrepit body.

Im sure he will rehab and look to get back in golf shape. But the last comeback to get in shape to the point he could win again almost drove him into the ground.

I think he will see there is not much light at the end of the tunnel to drive him as hard as required to play regularly enough to win out there.

If it was just this accident and he was 10 years younger, maybe he could do a Hogan and come back strong.

But you got the messed up knee, the screwed together back, and now all these bones knitting back together going into his mid 40s?

But, I disagree that we won’t see another truly “great one” again. 

One day a kid will come out knocking the cover off the ball like Rory, have the wedge skills,  and putting lights out. 

Guaranteed it’s coming. Maybe not as dominant as TW, but a legit 10 major winner. 

Yeah but Tiger is also a freak and will probably try to come back too early. 

I'm not saying we're gonna get a win-ready Tiger, but I think we'll see the dude giving it a go and maybe a nice WD next year. 

28 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

To me the easily biggest record is the number of wrx’rs that can look at the old records and not think they were achieved by a lack of depth on tour. Jack’s major record….Hogan and his top 3’s…..Nelson 11 straight and 18 in a season.  
  If no one can possibly achieve those marks today how are the wins in various eras apples to apples in threads like the top 10 list that Phil belongs on?

This is going to make a lot of people angry. I like it. 

• Haha 1

Just now, smturner1203 said:

I'm not saying we're gonna get a win-ready Tiger, but I think we'll see the dude giving it a go and maybe a nice WD next year. 

Took him a really long time to recover from his back surgeries.  I always want to see my gals and guys recover in the shortest time possible.  However, there are setbacks sometimes. 

2 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Took him a really long time to recover from his back surgeries.  I always want to see my gals and guys recover in the shortest time possible.  However, there are setbacks sometimes. 

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he recently post a picture of him standing in crutches with just a boot on one leg? I doubt he'd be cleared to be out of a wheelchair if both of his legs were that destroyed. 

3 minutes ago, smturner1203 said:

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he recently post a picture of him standing in crutches with just a boot on one leg? I doubt he'd be cleared to be out of a wheelchair if both of his legs were that destroyed. 

Yes.  The recovery phase takes long, but the rehab can sometimes take longer depending how fast he progresses and if there are any set backs.  I didn't want to get into this, but hgh and it's peptide cousins are one hell of PEDs and also increase turnover rate which in turn speeds up healing exponentially.  I'll leave it at that. 

Edited by phizzy30

14 minutes ago, smturner1203 said:

Yeah, automatic competitive instinct 

If TW gets a club in his hands and he be like, 

Gimme the ball!

1 hour ago, freeze16172002 said:

126 years and no one has done it, phil stayed four years in college. Jones was a career amateur and couldn't do it.  

You do know that 9 times it’s be won in consecutive years by the same person.  So 9 times almost done.  

on top of that 4 times it’s been won by consecutive people , lost one year and then won the next.  

And jones won it 24 25 27 28 30 ..... he almost won’t it 7 years in a row.  But did won it 5 out of 7.  5 out of 7 beats 3 in a row in my book.  And I guarantee you I’m a huge tiger fan.  

it’s not at all impossible.  

8D14F027-41B5-48FD-88FE-3A459956F487.png

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

53 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

You do know that 9 times it’s be won in consecutive years by the same person.  So 9 times almost done.  

on top of that 4 times it’s been won by consecutive people , lost one year and then won the next.  

And jones won it 24 25 27 28 30 ..... he almost won’t it 7 years in a row.  But did won it 5 out of 7.  5 out of 7 beats 3 in a row in my book.  And I guarantee you I’m a huge tiger fan.  

it’s not at all impossible.  

8D14F027-41B5-48FD-88FE-3A459956F487.png

Just because an achievement was done a century ago does not mean it could be done today.  Although breaking that Jones mark would be easier than breaking Nelson’s numbers.

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

Yes.  The recovery phase takes long, but the rehab can sometimes take longer depending how fast he progresses and if there are any set backs.  I didn't want to get into this, but hgh and it's peptide cousins are one hell of PEDs and also increase turnover rate which in turn speeds up healing exponentially.  I'll leave it at that. 

And you have inside info that Tiger is using these or just want to tease something inflammatory….but of course you didn’t really say it?

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

It’s Tigers cut record for sure.  142 cuts in a row.  The active leader on tour right now is Joaquin Niemann with 20 and there are only 10 guys who have at least 10!

To make every cut for 6-8 years in a row is just...like it’s crazy.  And - never is a long time - but I highly doubt this will get broken in my lifetime.