Full Face Vokey... Full Face Irons?

mvhoffman

How long do you think it will be until we see a full face Vokey?  Seems like they are falling behind a bit.

What is stopping companies from doing this with irons as well?

Edited by mvhoffman

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

Full face grooves -- another pointless gimmick.

It's hard to innovate with wedges at this point, so the OEMs have to make stuff up. Cleveland and others are following TaylorMade's lead -- not because full-face grooves are an actual improvement, but because TaylorMade sold a bunch of them.

It's not like full-faced grooves cause any harm, but I don't see how they add any value. And I don' think the cosmetics will fit the eye of most Vokey players, who tend to be more traditional. 

Edited by uglande
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

6 minutes ago, uglande said:

Full face grooves -- another pointless gimmick.

It's hard to innovate with wedges at this point, so the OEMs have to make stuff up. Cleveland and others are following TaylorMade's lead -- not because full-face grooves are an actual improvement, but because TaylorMade sold a bunch of them.

It's not like full-faced grooves cause any harm, but I don't see how they add any value. And I don' think the cosmetics will fit the eye of most Vokey players, who tend to be more traditional

Yeah.  Titleist is known to be a pure performance brand without any gimmicks.  They don't have speedslots in their irons, they didn't have  multi-colored crowns on their drivers when some OEMs followed TMs White driver fad, and certainly didn't fall into the square driver craze years ago.  Going with their mindset, I find it really doubtful that Titleist will have their own version of a High Toed wedge.

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

17 minutes ago, rp4golf said:

reviewh2weight.jpg

The weighting system that they have in this generation of clubs is far from a gimmick. Ball flight can change, it helps dial in swingweight without hotmelt or tungsten, can help with face angle at impact... far from gimicky

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

D - Callaway Paradym TD 10.5 @ N/S w/ Mitsubishi Kai'Li Red 60tx

2H - Ping G430 w/ Accra TZ5 90H M5, FLAT

4H - Ping G430 w/ Aldila Rogue Black 95tx

DI - Ping iCrossover 4iron w/ Tensei CK PRO Orange 90tx

5&6 Edel SMS, 7-PW Edel SMS Pro w/ Accra TZi 105

Wedges - Callaway JAWS RAW 52W @ 51, 56W @ 54, 60X @ 60, 60Z @ 62 w/ Accra iSteel Wedge 120, Z Grind Gamer has a BGT ZNE 130 

Grips - SuperStroke S-Tech Cord (White) 2+2 

Putter - My TaylorMade TP Soto w/ Mitsubishi MMT & SuperStroke Tour 3.0 17 @ 38.5" 

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

SuperStroke TXR1000 Rangefinder, Ping Tour Glove, UnderArmour 

I hope Vokey don't go down this route as it's not aesthetically pleasing in my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 9* (turned down to 8.25*) Driver

Titleist TS2 13.5* Fairway

Titleist TS2 16.5* Fairway

Titleist 716 T-MB 3-4 irons

Titleist 660 5-9 irons

Vokey SM7 Tour Chrome 48* Wedge

Vokey SM Oil Can 54* & 60* Wedges

Scotty Cameron Tour Newport Putter

▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

• mvhoffman changed the title to Full Face Vokey... Full Face Irons?
12 minutes ago, jmorrow020 said:

The weighting system that they have in this generation of clubs is far from a gimmick. Ball flight can change, it helps dial in swingweight without hotmelt or tungsten, can help with face angle at impact... far from gimicky

spacer.png

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Just now, Z1ggy16 said:

I open my vokey lob wedge all the time and I very often find ball sized grass marks way out near the toe where the grooves are starting to stop. 

On less than stellar hits in that same scenario, I may in fact miss grooves a little bit. I think that from the rough... Full face is no gimmick. My gripe though is it messes with me mentally on full swings. Something about seeing grooves like that makes the shape of the club look different and it then makes me swing different. Doesn't really make sense, but then again golf is a wacky game.

i think that whole face grooves on a pitching wedge or gap wedge can be a bit much -- as those clubs are predominantly used on full shots. i think the full face grooves are a bit better on everything from say, 54-62. 

• Like 1

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

13 minutes ago, jmorrow020 said:

If it wasn't a gimmick, then how come they didn't continue it when the TS family of drivers and fairways and hybrids was released?

7 minutes ago, rp4golf said:

If it wasn't a gimmick, then how come they didn't continue it when the TS family of drivers and fairways and hybrids was released?

so you're tellin me that you're calling it a gimmick b/c it's not incorporated in the new line of drivers? technology and development changes -- and you're smart enough to know they have moveable weights in their new TSi line -- there's a distinct possibility that the first iteration was a 'dipping of the toes' in moveable weight from Titleist and they developed it further (leapfrog development, going from the 917 line to the TSi line)...

doesn't make it a gimmick -- so you're saying the proven, moveable CG weighting of the taylormade drivers is a gimmick b/c they no longer have it? 

Edited by gioguy21
  • Like 1

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

4 minutes ago, rp4golf said:

Explain this then...

spacer.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rp4golf said:

Because the structures needed to house the weights cost weight. Without them they were able to move weight more freely in the head. 

Same thing with hosel adapters on drivers and fairway metals. Ping did a ton of work to save every gram possible when designing theirs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rp4golf said:

So, they're copying PING now?
What happened to " pure performance brand without any gimmicks"?

It's not a gimmick.  Adjustable weights has been around in drivers since the R7 came out in 2004.  Adjustable hosels became the norm ever since the R9 came out in 2009.  

Man...did you start playing golf recently??

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gioguy21 said:

so you're tellin me that you're calling it a gimmick b/c it's not incorporated in the new line of drivers? technology and development changes -- and you're smart enough to know they have moveable weights in their new TSi line -- there's a distinct possibility that the first iteration was a 'dipping of the toes' in moveable weight from Titleist and they developed it further (leapfrog development, going from the 917 line to the TSi line)...

doesn't make it a gimmick -- so you're saying the proven, moveable CG weighting of the taylormade drivers is a gimmick b/c they no longer have it? 

dont you have a LAB putter? 

No, I'm just taking offense to people calling stuff gimmicks - like it's an alien wedge or something of that sort - and acting like Titleist/Vokey is not beyond borrowing tech and designs from other manufacturers.
That's all. 😉

• Like 1

Can someone smarter than me explain how these full face wedges confirm to 2010 grove standards while my KZG blades still don't? I thought it had to do with the surface area of the grooves? 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I could see it happening IF Vokey starts losing market share to other wedge companies.  Outside of that, I don't think so or think one would be released.  Maybe if Phil was under contract they would do it since Titleist has a tendency to release special editions of clubs for players that win Majors with them and whatnot.  

However, with no one gaming their stuff right now that needs a high toe I don't see it happening.  Generally most of the changes to Wedges are based on existing testing.  Granted it could be just marketing but every grind on the Vokey site has a write up with what tour players inspired the grind.  I don't see AD or Vokey making high toes for anyone right now or ever have for that matter.  

Just my $.02, who knows, might pop up in two weeks on Vokey.com as a Wedgeworks release for the US Open and I can eat crow?  

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 7:27 AM, jmorrow020 said:

I hope you reach your 75 posts soon so you can sell whatever it is you are looking to sell. My suggestion would be to pay the $10 or whatever it is.

🤣 Not even sure what that's supposed to mean, but no, I have nothing to sell.
And I donate any clubs we no longer use to the FirstTee or the local high school.

But, speaking of selling, being as you've got 20 clubs in your bag it appears you have a few things to sell.

Edited by rp4golf

I know vokeys don't have full face grooves, but they have had milling on the toe of the wedges for several seasons. Not as crazy as grooves, but they have taken note that there is a need for spin retention on shots towards the toe when opening up the face. Maybe they determined that's enough for most people? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, timbo08 said:

I could see it happening IF Vokey starts losing market share to other wedge companies.  Outside of that, I don't think so or think one would be released.  Maybe if Phil was under contract they would do it since Titleist has a tendency to release special editions of clubs for players that win Majors with them and whatnot.  

However, with no one gaming their stuff right now that needs a high toe I don't see it happening.  Generally most of the changes to Wedges are based on existing testing.  Granted it could be just marketing but every grind on the Vokey site has a write up with what tour players inspired the grind.  I don't see AD or Vokey making high toes for anyone right now or ever have for that matter.  

Just my $.02, who knows, might pop up in two weeks on Vokey.com as a Wedgeworks release for the US Open and I can eat crow?  

I think the big reason people choose vokeys is due to the sole grind options. I think they have the best variety so it's easy to find something that works well for your conditions. To me I find that having the correct bounce/ sole grind is still the biggest factor for wedges.

I could see it long term as a wedge works option, but probably not in their main line unless tour players started asking for full faced wedges. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gioguy21 said:

i think that whole face grooves on a pitching wedge or gap wedge can be a bit much -- as those clubs are predominantly used on full shots. i think the full face grooves are a bit better on everything from say, 54-62. 

Yeah I've still got a full face cbx wedge somewhere that I used for a while and liked in bunkers and around the green a lot. Maybe it was the way the neck was shaped or the lie angle but I really hated hitting it any further than like 30-40 yards. Full swing 80-90 yard from thick rough was a mental night mare for me... Not sure why but I ended up going back to regular groove vokey. 

• Like 2