Full Face Vokey... Full Face Irons?

1 hour ago, gioguy21 said:

ok, pump the brakes a bit. 

it's not a gimmick if you open up the face on your wedges often - open up your lob wedge to about 2 o'clock and see how many grooves are in the path of the strike...

if you did this, you'd know that if you lay the face wide open, there are times when missing it a little higher on the toe and out towards the toe is not uncommon. the Phil wedge had grooves before TM did...well, technically Edel had wedges with the grooves all the way out (in the last 10 years or so that is -- 

they've made them to have a bit more meat at the topline toe, as well as the full face grooves to help with that or for people who hit different types of shot other than stock, aligned perpendicular to target. 

i love hearing 'traditional' discussion -- b/c that means they care more about the looks than performance...

Thank you for saying exactly what I was going to say before I could say it.. lol..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ok, pump the brakes a bit.  it's not a gimmick if you open up the face on your wedges often - open up your lob wedge to about 2 o'clock and see how many grooves are in the path of the strike...

I hope you reach your 75 posts soon so you can sell whatever it is you are looking to sell. My suggestion would be to pay the $10 or whatever it is.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, lefthack said:

Can someone smarter than me explain how these full face wedges confirm to 2010 grove standards while my KZG blades still don't? I thought it had to do with the surface area of the grooves? 

The big change was to the dimensions of the groove itself. Not the coverage on the face of the club. 

• Like 2

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

TSi3 13.5* / Ventus Red 9x

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100•s 4-P / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 50, 54, 58 / Dynamic TI X100

620 / MC X-Firm

WITB Thread

10 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

The big change was to the dimensions of the groove itself. Not the coverage on the face of the club. 

I thought it was the overall groove area (length x depth x width). 

Still seems like a bunch of crap. 🤣

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged Blade 4, 5, 7-PW

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Its all about choice, for myself I use a 58* full face groove sand wedge. Also very useful around the greens . The grooves add a touch more spin for flop and other shots. Has nothing to do about missing the sweet spot as opening up a wedge geometricly changes club face ball path interaction with the grooves, hence more ball path toward the toe. Full face grooves work, more grooves , allow for more spin. The ball is on the clubface for a very short time and out of a bunker, the ball rides on sand, unless of course you skull it, 

• Like 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
Posted (edited)

Titleist and Titleist fanboys are always the first to call anything “new” a gimmick, and always late to the dance, but let’s be honest, they really only care about selling balls.  The only real club sales that amount to anything are Vokey wedges.  You can bet the farm that within their normal time frame (a year or 2) BV will be asked to create a “new” wedge design that incorporates full face grooves.

They’re slow, not stupid.

Edited by Duffer222
  • Like 1

I didn't realize that I was going to start such a heated discussion.  I just wondered that since they seem that they are the only ones that havent done it yet, when will they.  I'm not expecting a new wedge or even a high toe, I was wondering if they would just extend the grooves

Driver:  Mizuno ST 180 11.5u* w PROformance 65g X Shaft

Fairway Wood: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14* w PROformance 80g X Shaft tipped 1 inch
Irons:   Ping Rapture 2 iron w Ping CFS Soft Stepped Stiff Shaft
             Tommy Armour Silver Scot Blades 4-9 w AWT 2.0 X Shaft                      
Wedges:  Vokey SM6 - 46*, 52*, 56*   SM7 - 60* w AWT 2.0 X and AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex shafts

Grips:   Karma Velvet 360 Standard +1 wrap
Putter:  Bastain Milled Fusion Golf Prototype 1 of 1 Flow Neck w Custom DTG Smoke Shaft @ 33.75" w Super Stroke Flatso 1.0
Ball:  Kirkland Signature V3.2

Bag: 2020 Ping Hoofer Lite

Glove: MG DynaGrip Elite

1 minute ago, mvhoffman said:

I didn't realize that I was going to start such a heated discussion.  I just wondered that since they seem that they are the only ones that havent done it yet, when will they.  I'm not expecting a new wedge or even a high toe, I was wondering if they would just extend the grooves

there's no heat man -- i honestly think it was a decent question to bring up. 

titleist is always late to the party with innovation; they get by on the 'they're not terrible but, they're not awesome either' MO...in this case, the traditional vokey has always sold well so in their eyes, maybe it's a 'why change what's not broken?' mindset...

i would honestly really love a higher lofted vokey with full face grooves (ie 56-60)

SiM2 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

SiM / Rocket 3w (set 1 tick higher loft) / Diamana TB 70TX tipped 1.0"

SiM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X

RTX Zipcore Black / 54, 60 / KBS Tour S+

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

5 minutes ago, mvhoffman said:

Don't worry.  You didn't do anything wrong.  Your initial post is a very valid question and we just stated our opinions which some other users don't take to kindly to.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Sant,Santa,ive been Good🤗Can i have the SM10S Full Face 58 please Xmas 23 ..i wont Ho ever again😂for the 588th time...

• Haha 1

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

46 minutes ago, mvhoffman said:

When I saw your post this morning over coffee I was interested to see where it went, expecting an adult discussion as per the opinions of full-face groove wedge users. And instead of users of Edel wedges, followed up by advocates of users of Callaway PM Grind wedges (modeled after his beloved Eye2 LW), both of which predated TM's HiToes, it instead just turned into tinfoil hats and mud slinging.
And I'm sorry for my part in responding to them.

Realistically, the major manufacturers have R&D departments that are always working on stuff, and when you have specialty wedge designers like Bob Vokey and Roger Cleveland (and others) I'd venture to guess they're also following trends on the market, and these companies are always trying to hit on the next big thing - have they prototyped their own version? Sure. Maybe. Probably. Who knows. Nobody knows.
Will Vokey extend the grooves on a LW?
How long has it been since the SM8s were released?

• Like 1

MarketingMarketingMarketing or Marketing.Thats really what FullFace is about,sell the hype,and yes there is say a 15% benefit in ff design when opening the face a lot.So a big thanks too TM who brought out a Beautiful design in the CopperCoated HiToe.Do most of us need them? not really but a great Xmas Gift idea.Well done TM.

V Steels Rule!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Posted (edited)

I can say that my hole out frequency from around the green and bunkers have been higher since  placing the hi toe  wedge in my bag. I have had good fortune with standard wedges,  but certainly with more frequency now. These style of wedges deserve your consideration. Have to think that Vokey is looking at a simular design or has considered it.

Edited by puttingmatt

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
3 hours ago, mvhoffman said:

Full face grooved irons are pointless, but the Vokey wedge question is a good one.

My guess is that have not had the demand from tour players to go that direction. The amount of Vokey wedges on tour right now is crazy. This is especially true when you look at non-contract players or guys that don't have  a full 14 club deal. It seems most are using Vokey wedges, especially the lob wedge. If the Titleist tour van was getting many requests for full faced wedges, I'm pretty sure they would want to accommodate these players. And of any of the OEMs, Titleist is in the best position to come out with a special wedge release for the customer thru Vokey Wedgeworks and charge a hefty premium for it.

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TS3 15*

Titleist TS3 19*, 23*
Srixon ZX5 (5-PW)
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, 58*
Piretti Cottonwood II

7 hours ago, uglande said:

Full face grooves -- another pointless gimmick.

It's hard to innovate with wedges at this point, so the OEMs have to make stuff up. Cleveland and others are following TaylorMade's lead -- not because full-face grooves are an actual improvement, but because TaylorMade sold a bunch of them.

It's not like full-faced grooves cause any harm, but I don't see how they add any value. And I don' think the cosmetics will fit the eye of most Vokey players, who tend to be more traditional. 

Think Callaway did it first with the PM grind. 

• Like 1

Callaway - Epic Subzero 9* Oban Kiyoshi White 68g 04

TEE - CB Pro Limited 16.5*  Oban Kiyoshi White 74g 04

TEE - CB Pro U 19* Paderson KINETIXX TS Hybrid 80

Miura - Baby Blades 4 - PW KBS Tour Black 120s

Vokey - SM7 52* 56* 60* KBS Tour Black 120s

Ping - PLD Prime Tyne 35"

Grips- Iomic Sticky 2.3 .60

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Duffer222 said:

let’s be honest, they really only care about selling balls.  The only real club sales that amount to anything are Vokey wedges.  

Balls are definitely their bread and butter. But I’m not sure I’d say the only club sales that amount to anything are their wedges. Their putters seem to be as popular, if not more popular than their wedges. Not sure of actual sales, but the TSi (esp the 3) line seem to be quite popular. Probably some fairly healthy sales there as well.

Edited by TiScape
45 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Balls are definitely their bread and butter. But I’m not sure I’d say the only club sales that amount to anything are their wedges. Their putters seem to be as popular, if not more popular than their wedges. Not sure of actual sales, but the TSi (esp the 3) line seem to be quite popular. Probably some fairly healthy sales there as well.

Exactly. Titleist isn't late or slouch on tech its just put to use differently. And even with open blade shots on high lofted wedges, toed rough and sand shots still spin well and hold the greens without groves extending towards the toe. I'm assuming the mill lines play a good roll in it and deems it unnecessary to keep traditional looks

• Haha 1

I would love to see a full face wedge that doesnt look incredibly ugly behind the ball. 

The RTX Fullface sits really weird to my eye behind the ball, as does the PM and the Hi-Toe. too curved of a leading edge and they all look like game improvement wedges or something. I would love to see vokey or any other company literally create the exact same wedge that they already have and just cut the grooves through the whole face without any of the profile changes that occur when they do so. If I could lay my current 60 open and get a little more forgiveness on the toe, that would be great; why not? Is it necessary to create a new line for them? I dont think so. 

D - Callaway Epic Speed LS Triple Diamond 9* (8.7* Actual, 57* lie) @ NS w/ Aldila ATX Tour Green 75TX Prototype 45.50" (D4)

3W - Callaway Epic Speed 3+ Wood w/ Aldila Synergy Green '21 Proto 75tx 42.50" (D4)

2H - Cobra King Tec 2 Hyrbid 17* @ 16* Draw setting w/ Diamana Thump ii 100x 42.00" (D4) || 3H - Taylormade SIM2 Max Rescue w/ Veylix Arcane Prototype 100tx 42.00" (D4)

5W - Callaway Epic Speed MAX 5 Wood w/ Aldila Synergy Green '19 Proto 80tx 42.00" (D4)

7W - Taylormade AeroBurner TP 5HL w/ Aldila Synergy Green 80tx Proto '19 42.00" (D4)

2i - Taylormade P790 UDI 2 w/ Project X 6.5 @ 16* 42.00" (D5) || 3i - Taylormade Tour Preferred UDI 3 w/ Project X 6.5 41.50" (D5)

Irons - Taylormade '20 P770s 4-9 w/ Project X 7.0 Ryder Cup Edition (D5)

Wedges - Anthem 48* @ 46*TR, 50*TR, 54*TR @ 56*, 60*NR @ 62* Wedges w/ Project X Rifle 6.5 (D6)

Grips - Golf Pride MCC Teams Blue/White Grips 1+2 logo down

Putter - Cobra 3D Printed Agera Mallet - 35", Superstroke Traxion Tour 3.0 w/ Arccos 

On 6/2/2021 at 4:13 PM, 1puttTUT said:

Being done already by some of the boutique companies...

Screenshot_20210602-161156_Gallery.jpg

Interesting indeed…

738D01A2-E6C8-40AF-A32F-47462664C7B6.jpeg

Callaway Mavrik Triple Diamond SZ (9) | Project X HZRDUS HC Yellow S | RDX Blue S
Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero Tour (17) | Project X HZRDUS HC Yellow S
Titleist TSi3 (20) | Project X HZRDUS RDX Black S
New Level NLU01 (21) | SteelFiber i110 Black Label S 1HS
Ballistic CB (4-PW) | SteelFiber i110 Black Label S 1HS
Haywood (50, 54) | Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap F4 S
Byron Morgan 615 | Piretti G.O.A.T. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2021 at 7:12 AM, kuch said:

If you hit the ball that far off of the sweet spot with a Vokey wedge, having grooves across the entire face to still get spin is the least of your problems.

image.png.e8fcdb6c058d535f3e2459e905051e93.png

Reminds me of when TM came out with the RSi1 and RSi2 irons: Design had polymer desperation slots on the left and right edge of the face grooves.

Reality: If you only get half the ball on the clubface, bad things happen. And, the hosel rocket correction factor didn't work either.

Edited by ChipNRun

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

On 6/2/2021 at 6:09 AM, mvhoffman said:

How long do you think it will be until we see a full face Vokey?  Seems like they are falling behind a bit.

What is stopping companies from doing this with irons as well?

No, and no....

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G425 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G42522 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
Ping G25-PW Steelfiber i95 Recoil reg

Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50*ss, 54*ss @ 55*, 60*ts AWT Wedge flex
Rife Barbados 33”

On 6/2/2021 at 3:13 PM, 1puttTUT said:

Being done already by some of the boutique companies...

Screenshot_20210602-161156_Gallery.jpg

Also by Talylormade circa 1999

0655EE0E-F69F-44EE-B13A-52E911143974.jpeg

• Like 2

“I’m just here to hit bombs and make bogeys.”

TM SIM2 9* HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 🇺🇸 LE

TM SIM Ti 5w Fuji Atmos Blue TS 7x

Ping G410 3h Tensei Pro Blue 

Titleist 816 4h Diamana Blue

Mizuno 919 Forged 6-G, HM Pro 5

Ping Glide Stealth 54 WS, 58 ES

Ping Sigma G Tyne H