Am I the only one that is kind of over this trend?  Tiger Woods wore one, then Michael Thorbjornsen (sp?) in the US Am, and now I'm looking at a whole gaggle of kids and at least one coach in 102 degree heat in Scottsdale wearing them.  Bear in mind these are college kids who largely paid no attention to COVID whatsoever.  Has to be on of the dumbest trends in recent history.  

• Confused 2
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Could be for sun protection. Just throwing it out there. 

As other mentioned: 1. Sun protection 2. Probably little moisture wicking or something they can wet to cool off 3. The buffs are a quick mask they can thrown on when needed and is much

college kids eat tide pods and stick vodka soaked tampons up their butts and you’re worried about them wearing neck gaiters?

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, ChipStrokes said:

college kids eat tide pods and stick vodka soaked tampons up their butts and you’re worried about them wearing neck gaiters?

To be fair, those things concern me as well.  But if you're going to eat a tide pod, at least try to not look like an idiot wearing what is essentially a medical device (these days) as a fashion statement.  

Buffs are super practical. I've been wearing them for years for neck sun protection in the summer and in the winter as a balaclava when skiing. Sure, they're probably not the most effective covid mask, but they probably still satisfy the requirement for a face covering that's likely required for some parts of the tournament. E.g. meetings and such.

If they happen to be printed with their school colors and are another way for the players to express a bit of school camaraderie, I'm all for it.

13 hours ago, CallawayLefty said:

Am I the only one that is kind of over this trend?  Tiger Woods wore one, then Michael Thorbjornsen (sp?) in the US Am, and now I'm looking at a whole gaggle of kids and at least one coach in 102 degree heat in Scottsdale wearing them.  Bear in mind these are college kids who largely paid no attention to COVID whatsoever.  Has to be on of the dumbest trends in recent history.  

Seems awfully presumptuous to say that all college kids "paid no attention to COVID whatsoever." And as others have mentioned, the gaiters have many other uses besides fulfilling the mask requirements. They offer sun protection which is much needed in the desert, and contrary to what most people think they do actually keep you cooler (why do you think people in the Sahara wear pants and long sleeves??). 

Plus, I'll take people wearing a neck gaiter at the course over hoodies and joggers 100 times out of 100...

• Like 3

Honestly never wore them on the course before this year but I think I'll continue to do it.  Not only does it keep the sun off during the summer but I found it super helpful in colder weather to keep the wind off my face as well.  Used one the whole time at bandon and got no wind burn at all.  Weird that people care so much about something that has practical uses.

• Like 4

Anecdotally, I've heard the cooling versions that you keep damp really work amazing in hot weather.  I would not be surprised at all if that's what going on here, not Covid concerns or fashion statements.

• Like 2

Taylormade Sim2Max, 9.0*, Diamana ZF 60S
Taylormade SIM, 15* & 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 70 S

Taylormade Sim2 Max 4H, Ventus Blue S
Taylormade P790 5-iron, Nippon Pro Modus 105S +1"

Taylormade P770 6-PW, Nippon Pro Modus 105S +1"
Callaway Jaws MD5 52* DG 115 +1"
Callaway MD4 56* & 60* DG 115 +1"
Taylormade Del Monte 7, 35.25" SS Claw 2.0

1 hour ago, SheriffBooth said:

Anecdotally, I've heard the cooling versions that you keep damp really work amazing in hot weather.  I would not be surprised at all if that's what going on here, not Covid concerns or fashion statements.

Second this - you can wet them with cold water and it helps keep you cool. Sounds like a smart idea in 105º heat, not quite the fashion felony (like JOGGERS OR HOODIES 😱).

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Flip4000 said:

As other mentioned:

1. Sun protection

2. Probably little moisture wicking or something they can wet to cool off

3. The buffs are a quick mask they can thrown on when needed and is much easier to keep track of then a mask. NCAA probably requires them to have something.

Seems like a garment they can wear with multiple practical applications. 

Why would you use logic? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, SheriffBooth said:

They do, and at the same time they keep your neck from getting cooked from playing in the sun. If you're wearing one for neck protection, it also means less sunscreen stains on your shirt collars. 

• Like 1

SIM2 9*, HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80 

Flash SZ 17°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

I was contemplating getting one.

I live in Ontario, Canada... the only land in the world where golf was illegal until recently.  Seems like the government has some sort of grudge with golfers.  Courses are open now, but there are undercover officers roaming around golf courses and fining people who are not practicing social distancing like sharing carts (and not in the same household) and not wearing a mask. 

It's not that I don't want to follow these rules, but I don't always remember to put the mask on when riding in the cart.  Wearing a neck gaiter, it's easy to pull up.  

Ever looked closely at the neck of an old pro golfer? It ain't pretty ...

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM Max 9 - Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70 S
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
Titleist 818 H2 21 at C4 (22) - MRC Tensei AV White 90 S
Ping i20 4i-PW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 2.0  58 ES - AWT 2.0  S - Black Dot
Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"

I get it. Lots of after the fact justifications.  Point being at the 2019 NCAAs, no one wore one, and now 1/3 of the players do.  And by the 2022 NCAAs, no one will be wearing one yet again.  

I just think it’s a funny trend.  Tiger Woods could wear a top hat and monocle to a tournament and the next year the NCAAs would be overflowing with them.   

I was going to mention that I started wearing the Mission ones about 3 years ago in high temps when a buddy of mine wet his in an ice bath and then stuck it on. He rewet at the turn. It’s like having a cold towel around your neck for the round and keeps the sun off. Was pretty genius so I started doing it too and haven’t looked back. You do get some odd looks though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, CallawayLefty said:

I get it. Lots of after the fact justifications.  Point being at the 2019 NCAAs, no one wore one, and now 1/3 of the players do.  And by the 2022 NCAAs, no one will be wearing one yet again.  

I just think it’s a funny trend.  Tiger Woods could wear a top hat and monocle to a tournament and the next year the NCAAs would be overflowing with them.   

Why is it such a big deal?

Im not sure these are “after the fact” justifications. They seem pretty valid. Lots of outdoor sportsmen (especially fishermen) wear big hats or neck gaiters. It is one of several solutions to a number of problems (sun protection, cooling, COVID measures). 

As someone with skin cancer precursors I may start using one as well. 

drn92

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Chilidog said:

I was going to mention that I started wearing the Mission ones about 3 years ago in high temps when a buddy of mine wet his in an ice bath and then stuck it on. He rewet at the turn. It’s like having a cold towel around your neck for the round and keeps the sun off. Was pretty genius so I started doing it too and haven’t looked back. You do get some odd looks though. 

Which do you have? After this thread, I’ll likely be buying one. I used to put a frogg togg chili pad on my neck when it’s crazy hot, but it’s a PITA. Put it on, take it off to hit, put it on, fill it with more water. Etc.

Thanks. I know you know fabrics. 🙂

13 minutes ago, Augster said:

Which do you have? After this thread, I’ll likely be buying one. I used to put a frogg togg chili pad on my neck when it’s crazy hot, but it’s a PITA. Put it on, take it off to hit, put it on, fill it with more water. Etc.

Thanks. I know you know fabrics. 🙂

It’s their simple neck gaiter. I think they sent me 10 when I ordered the kids gaiters for school last year. I deal with them for work and they are good people. 

local golf association gave them away at a recent tournament.

mid-weight microfiber that was mighty handy when the temps were in the 40's.

the gaiter was long enough to make you look like Bazooka Joe (you kids can Google that one)

great just as a neck warmer.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Hogan BH-5, 4-PW
Vokey 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable