Michelle Wie West NY Times Article

29 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

He means no one external to your circumstances will judge you as a walking moral contradiction. 

No one here thinks the service industry provides awesome jobs. That's the point. 

"no one external to your circumstances will judge you as a walking moral contradiction"

"Service jobs suck."

Parks And Recreation Nbc GIF by HULU

• Confused 1

Service jobs do suck, bro. They're the epitome of how we as a culture have decided there's a cut-off for who gets even a shred of dignity and peace. 

Are you friends with anyone who works in the service industry? It's hell. I know this might be a shocker, but the public is awful

Most people would judge a $55M/yr job in sports to be "better" than working in the service industry, even if that person had to answer tough questions post-round.  

You took issue with someone who made that point earlier. 

Edited by MelloYello

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

9 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

Service jobs do suck, bro. They're the epitome of how we as a culture have decided there's a cut-off for who gets even a shred of dignity and peace. 

Are you friends with anyone who works in the service industry? It's hell. I know this might be a shocker, but the public is awful

Most people would judge a $55M/yr job in sports to be "better" than working in the service industry, even if that person had to answer tough questions post-round.  

You took issue with someone who made that point earlier. 

The way your response was worded made me feel like you were echoing the person I had quoted, meaning, you look down at people who work in the service industry. If that's not what you were getting at, feel free to correct me. Whereas, I look highly upon people who work in the service industry because they're obviously doing everything they can to provide for themselves and their family.

5 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

The way your response was worded made me feel like you were echoing the person I had quoted, meaning, you look down at people who work in the service industry. If that's not what you were getting at, feel free to correct me. Whereas, I look highly upon people who work in the service industry because they're obviously doing everything they can to provide for themselves and their family.

Dude, I've been 100% clear as have others. You've misinterpreted posts by 2 different people and responded with snark. 

I don't think anyone in our society looks down on service workers. It's pessimistic of you to project those kinds of attitudes onto other people.

It demonstrates a real lack of faith in humanity to think you can find that kind of meanness and hostility here. Again, that kind of reading suggests more about what you're looking for than what content may be present in the posts. 

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

1 minute ago, Lobby said:

Can't I just hope for more kindness in this world (to pro athletes, also)?

Yeah, many of these pros are making a lot of $, but jeez, they're sure s*** on a lot.

Just look at that USWO thread and all the folks hammering Lexi as a choker and poor putter.  Too much cruelty for me...

I don't like to use phrases like "choker" personally. There's usually more than nerves at play. Swing mechanics and natural tendencies play a big role. I find that more interesting but it's not a lie that some players choke in high-pressure moments. We have to be fair. We can't coddle these athletes.

They compete in public tournaments, win hundreds of thousands (or millions) of dollars and even get sponsorship deals that increase their fame and notoriety. They chose to be on the pedestal. 

I think it's 100% fair to critique how people played and it's unrealistic to expect that entertainment (which sports are) won't be critiqued. 

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

6 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

Dude, I've been 100% clear as have others. You've misinterpreted posts by 2 different people and responded with snark. 

I don't think anyone in our society looks down on service workers. It's pessimistic of you to project those kinds of attitudes onto other people.

It demonstrates a real lack of faith in humanity to think you can find that kind of meanness and hostility here. Again, that kind of reading suggests more about what you're looking for than what content may be present in the posts. 

I've seen it FIRST HAND people looking down, berating, racial tirades, outright physically attacking service workers. I've seen this. I've literally defended people in the service industry, physically.

You are delusional if you don't think people look down upon service workers. I've seen it first hand.

Why is anyone upset with what Giuliani said.  He was just pointing out what was obvious, not saying he thought it was right?  Seems like false righteous indignation as an excuse to be political and get her name back out there in the fore front of the media.  In other words, so needed attention and Giuliani was an easy target to use as justification for her actions.

• Like 1

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

7 minutes ago, cwilk said:

Why is anyone upset with what Giuliani said.  He was just pointing out what was obvious, not saying he thought it was right?  Seems like false righteous indignation as an excuse to be political and get her name back out there in the fore front of the media.  In other words, so needed attention and Giuliani was an easy target to use as justification for her actions.

Get out the popcorn and get ready to be entertained. This should be fun. 

Edited by tomba51

3 hours ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

I've seen it FIRST HAND people looking down, berating, racial tirades, outright physically attacking service workers. I've seen this. I've literally defended people in the service industry, physically.

You are delusional if you don't think people look down upon service workers. I've seen it first hand.

You're suggesting that people here (myself included) do that. 

That's offensive to me and everyone else that you believe you can cast out those kinds of absurd projections and that we here won't take great offense. It's as if you assume I'm guilty and that I'm on the hook to prove to you I'm a nice person. That's just offensive dude.

You assumed the worst about me after mis-reading what I wrote. And you did the same to someone else. I should be nice about that? Really?

Really?!

Edited by MelloYello
  • Sad 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

3 hours ago, tomba51 said:

Get out the popcorn and get ready to be entertained. This should be fun. 

LOL, most obvious troll ever. 4-line post referencing a political figure, LOL. Yeah, that's real!

Mr. Gorbachev...shut DOWN this thread!

Edited by MelloYello

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

16 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

You're suggesting that people here (myself included) do that. 

That's offensive to me and everyone else that you believe you can cast out those kinds of absurd projections and that we here won't take great offense. It's as if you assume I'm guilty and that I'm on the hook to prove to you I'm a nice person. That's just offensive dude.

You assumed the worst about me after mis-reading what I wrote. And you did the same to someone else. I should be nice about that? Really?

Really?!

Really?

THIS is what you wrote. "I don't think anyone in our society looks down on service workers. " I gave a FIRST HAD rebuttal to your absolutely absurd assertion. NOWHERE did I say you in my response. Stop having a victim complex.

Edited by Frankensteins Monster

On 6/7/2021 at 2:03 PM, MelloYello said:

Capitalists like Naomi can always go play outside the confines of the capitalist system. It's called being an Amateur. There are actually rankings for it. Some people do it. 

If you don't want to play a part in the capitalist system, then don't. Or just give away some large portion of the winnings at which point everyone will treat you like Jesus and you'll feel amazing. 

If you're asking why playing a part in the capitalist system feels dirty, evil, slimy, etc. then you just don't understand how it works. I'm not suggesting capitalism is bad. I like it. But I live my life knowing I'm unfairly privileged. That's depressing. It saddens me. But I suppress it like a normal person who feels guilty about having a good life while others suffer. That's the cost. The emotional turmoil offsets the physical improvements in your life. 

Congrats, you're realizing what people in the 1980s and 1990s realized about our culture. It's what the big books of that time discussed. 

You sure you didn’t write your master’s thesis on Guy Debord’s The Society of the Spectacle?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

You sure you didn’t write your master’s thesis on Guy Debord’s The Society of the Spectacle?

Such philosophical ideas are over my head. I'm a lowly engineer, a cubicle jockey. The kind of guy important CEOs hire/fire everyday. 

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

1 hour ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

Really?

THIS is what you wrote. "I don't think anyone in our society looks down on service workers. " I gave a FIRST HAD rebuttal to your absolutely absurd assertion. NOWHERE did I say you in my response. Stop having a victim complex.

How daaaare you!

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Just now, MelloYello said:

Such philosophical ideas are over my head. I'm a lowly engineer, a cubicle jockey. The kind of guy important CEOs hire/fire everyday. 

Oh, you imbibed Debord from somewhere.

And be careful talking about CEOs and firing. That other CEO on here who also kills his 2 iron, well, he isn’t as nice as me and you might give him unnecessary ideas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

Oh, you imbibed Debord from somewhere.

And be careful talking about CEOs and firing. That other CEO on here who also kills his 2 iron, well, he isn’t as nice as me and you might give him unnecessary ideas.

SoTS is a pretty widely referenced but I've never read it. There's some interesting videos on Baudrillard I've seen. They seem pretty spot on. I've read my fair share of DFW. Little depressing for my taste. And don't get me started on 2-irons. They pretty much signal the owner is a Champion at Life. 

Speaking of which, if you haven't watched CPG's Greg Norman Essay vid, do it now!

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

14 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

Usually referred to as pencils or at least we had a Director make that quote one day.  He never was my favorite executive and I wasn't surprised he said what he did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Usually referred to as pencils or at least we had a Director make that quote one day.  He never was my favorite executive and I wasn't surprised he said what he did.

Firm but fair. 

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS