Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Been there done that.  2009 @El Caballero CC, 16th hole, I think maybe 155 yards with 8 iron.  Ironically, it was the day after I got my very first hole in one when there were witnesses.  I quietly went about my business, went home, told my parents and my brother.  I was supposed to play with my brother that day.  Would've been awesome to have him witness my second hole in one.  Congrats OP, at least you got proof of it.  Me, not so much. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 3

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Congratulations! Pretty cool to get your first Ace and love the effort you went to share it.

My situation is not everyone's, but when I play alone it is never real golf for me. It is just out hitting a few balls trying shots etc. It has been more than 10 years since a I played an actual round solo, but it is pretty common I play a few holes in the evening alone. So for me a solo ace is pretty cool brings a smile to my face and I count it as a 'solo ace'. My club also does not recognise solo aces so solo aces live in a unique category. 

I did not do anything after the one solo ace I had, but I did tell people about it and thought it was cool.

By the way the thing about counting solo aces or not is kind of silly. No one ever asks "Have you made an ace" and expects a yes or no answer - they always expect a story - part of your story is being solo - and it is a cool story you have. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a solo hole in one last year. I was playing a solo 9 after work and thinned a 175 yard tee shot that probably never got more than 10 feet off the ground. There's a bunker in front of the green with a large lip. The ball slammed into the bunker but had enough energy to launch up over the lip and onto the green. I couldn't see anything after that because the bunker lip screened my view of the green's surface.

I walked to the green and found my ball in the cup. Whoop-dee do. Ugly a** hole in one with zero witnesses. I walked to the next hole and that was it. If the ball hadn't slammed into the face of the bunker the shot probably would have been 50 yards over the green.

Due to the ugly nature of the shot, the lack of witnesses, and it being an informal after work 9, it does not feel like an achievement in any way. When people ask if I've had a hole in one I usually say no because I don't care to explain the extreme cheesiness of the shot. I kind of wish it hadn't have happened.

Edited by Mustard_Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congratulations!  An ace is an ace.  Best part of the story is how cheap the ace was.  Mine may rival yours as far as cheapness is concerned.  Memorial day week of 2020 the son and I took a golf trip to Colorado.  We are paired with two solo players, one who's non playing wife is riding in a cart.  Anyway the feat happens so I have five witnesses plus the landscapers servicing a home just off the tee box.

Head to the bar, ready to spend some money.  One of the players needs to leave immediately.  But the one player and his wife join me and the son.  We are informed the bar is closed but they would get us some drinks if we sit outside on the patio.  The couple in our party do not drink alcohol.  In total we consumed three beers and two sodas.  Total of $31.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, theebdk said:

We are paired with two solo players, one who's non playing wife is riding in a cart.  Anyway the feat happens so I have five witnesses plus the landscapers servicing a home just off the tee box.

A few years ago I was playing with a buddy who got a hole in one, and there were a bunch of maintenance guys working on a green not too far away and in full view of it. We were hooting and hollering, and those dudes could not have given less of a sh*t, LOL. 

Anyways, to answer the OP's question I often think about what I'd do if I were to finally get a HiO when out by myself. I would much prefer I accomplished it with friends, but I would still know that I achieved it even if I had no witnesses. I can tell you it's not something I would ever make up a false story about. It's one of those scared holy grails of personal golf achievements. 

• Thanks 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Write down a 1 on the scorecard on move on to the next hole.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

5 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

I had a solo hole in one last year. I was playing a solo 9 after work and thinned a 175 yard tee shot that probably never got more than 10 feet off the ground. There's a bunker in front of the green with a large lip. The ball slammed into the bunker but had enough energy to launch up over the lip and onto the green. I couldn't see anything after that because the bunker lip screened my view of the green's surface.

I walked to the green and found my ball in the cup. Whoop-dee do. Ugly a** hole in one with zero witnesses. I walked to the next hole and that was it. If the ball hadn't slammed into the face of the bunker the shot probably would have been 50 yards over the green.

Due to the ugly nature of the shot, the lack of witnesses, and it being an informal after work 9, it does not feel like an achievement in any way. When people ask if I've had a hole in one I usually say no because I don't care to explain the extreme cheesiness of the shot. I kind of wish it hadn't have happened.

Count it!

There's no room on the scorecard for pictures.😜

• Like 1

Dance.

<edit> 99% of my rounds are solo so the chances of it ever happening with someone is even further reduced. If it happens, I'll dance my a** off.

Edited by lefthack
  • Haha 2

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

8 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

Love this story, and you should count it! The unique thing to me about aces is that they aren't actually a real validator of actual golf skill or even a perfect shot most times, they're just rare... and in 99.9% of cases, lucky.  I certainly didn't intend to back up an 8 iron towards the hole (and obviously wasn't intending it to land 18 inches from the hole)- I was just going trying to fade it into the middle of the green & have it land softly. 

I personally think the cheesiness of the story is what makes it awesome, and worth celebrating, especially in light of some of the folks who would apparently do nothing 😂😂😂.

TBH, I think anyone who thinks someone else's ace doesn't count(!) outside of the context of teasing a buddy, probably needs to think hard about why they care so much.  Good bounces, bad bounces, random luck with the wind- it's all part of the game.  Case in point: whenever I've seen a pro make one in a tournament, they always, always laugh and smile, versus the kind of intense celebrations after a made putt or something. 

That said, I fully expect to be teased by my buddies about it not counting, forever.  That "*" is just too easy. 

Edited by cookout14
  • Like 2

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR

Titleist TSr2+ Ventus TR

Titleist TSr3 18 Ventus TR

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-6 | Tour 7-PW $-Taper

Mizuno T20 50/54/58 $-Taper

SC Phantom X 5.5 / Bettinardi Tour Exempt LN BB1

Congratulations! Out of curiosity, where were you playing? I'm in the DC area. 

I think you did the right thing. My instinct would have been to videotape my walk to the hole, but that would make for a pretty dull clip without other voices around. Sharing it with family was the way to go. 

• Thanks 1

WOODS: Taylormade Qi10 LS 9* - Ventus Black 7X; 3W: Taylormade M2

IRONS: Mizuno Pro 225 GW-4i ProjectX 6.5,

WEDGES: Vokey SM9 52*,  Mizuno T20 56*, Vokey SM9 60*,

PUTTER: Mizuno M-Craft VI 38"

1 minute ago, ElMacho said:

Congratulations! Out of curiosity, where were you playing? I'm in the DC area. 

I think you did the right thing. My instinct would have been to videotape my walk to the hole, but that would make for a pretty dull clip without other voices around. Sharing it with family was the way to go. 

I'm usually in DC, but right now down in the South Outer Banks in NC.  I was playing at a semi-private course called Star Hill.  Super fun 27 hole track, the biggest challenge is usually the wind being sneaky above the pine trees.  It can get a bit slow with the vacationers during the summer (and toasty when the sun goes up), so I just go out as a single right when they open- with a cart can get around 18 in <2 hours, back home by 9:30.  Wish that was possible in DC!!

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR

Titleist TSr2+ Ventus TR

Having been anywhere from a 2-6 handicap over the length of my golf life and never having a hole in one I would have screamed, called someone, my girlfriend or buddy screamed again and framed the ball along with a picture of the hole panorama birds eye style. If I ever get one I will do that, if I get 10 I would still frame the ball and a picture of the hole. It’s your life, memories are what we live. Btw, the closest I came to a hole in one was in high school at the state golf tournament at university ridge. Looked/sounded like it landed in cup and ended up 15 feet away. I missed the putt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cookout14 said:

For getting to have a special moment with my 77 yr old dad thanks to the magic of FaceTime, it's thankfully not!  

I'm just envisioning you skipping down the entire length of the hole facetiming your dad.
Sorry, but it just cracks me up.

(Edit - I was only trying to be humorous, sorry so many of you got so easily offended.)

Happy Homer Simpson GIF

Edited by rp4golf
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, rp4golf said:

The dude asked for opinions, I just gave my 2-cents worth.

Just to get this thread back on track, as per the title of the thread... I asked for what others would do in the actual situation I had on weds.  Literally zero people on this thread or message board either 1) care that I got an ace, or 2) care to know what your opinion of said ace was.  So, are you in the, pretend it never happened camp?

And, re: the idea kipping down the fairway and it making you laugh... good!  Celebrating and acting ridiculous for a fun achievement are good and healthy things.  I genuinely hope everyone has moments of unbridled joy in their life, and doesn't take themselves that seriously as to worry about the opinion of strangers.  If it's more your thing to post cynical/ironic gifs on message boards and try to pick & somehow win message board battles, best of luck with that! 

Edited by cookout14
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR

Titleist TSr2+ Ventus TR