2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rory back to old Kuro Kage Proto

1 hour ago, rorykoepka said:

I’m trying to find a kuro kage xts (not xt) to buy but I have no clue what it really looks like. Are there any obvious markings or graphics that give away that it’s the xts shaft? Thanks guys!

XTS will be etched into the shaft right past the flex-x. Look in the witb of Jason day and you’ll see what one looks like

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Gtyler14 said:

XTS will be etched into the shaft right past the flex-x. Look in the witb of Jason day and you’ll see what one looks like

That’s a massive help thanks! These seem impossible to find…I thought I might have found one cause it had “Mitsubishi chemical” instead of “Mitsubishi rayon” but didn’t have the xts etched next to it

12 hours ago, Gtyler14 said:

I have one at home I can take a picture if needed but seeing Jason days should point you in the right direction. Hard to find one these days

Definitely found it in Jason day and rory’s witb. Now locating one of these is gonna be a little hard 😂 

Not sure if you have experience with the xt but does the xts and xt play exactly the same? Some say they’re slightly different 

14 minutes ago, rorykoepka said:

Definitely found it in Jason day and rory’s witb. Now locating one of these is gonna be a little hard 😂 

Not sure if you have experience with the xt but does the xts and xt play exactly the same? Some say they’re slightly different 

I didn’t game the retail xt so speak on any differences

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rorykoepka said:

I'm on the hunt for one as well. Short of sending unsolicited PMs here and getting lucky, I'm not sure how I'm going to find one!

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

On 10/12/2021 at 11:26 PM, rorykoepka said:

That’s a massive help thanks! These seem impossible to find…I thought I might have found one cause it had “Mitsubishi chemical” instead of “Mitsubishi rayon” but didn’t have the xts etched next to it

The XTS prototypes are unfortunately identical to the stock OEM Kuro Kage Silver shaft from that time period. The only visual difference is the laser etching @Gtyler14 mentioned and the label on the handle. The stock OEM Kuro Kage silver will have a label that reads something like "KR0S 70x" for a 70g X-flex, whereas the XTS will say something like "7XTS" or "70XT" for the 70g version, or sometimes nothing at all but serial numbers and their 11 digit product code. If you REALLY want to get picky, the TINI fibers are located in a different part of the tip with each shaft as well. They are in the inner core of the shaft on the XT/XTS and the outer wrap on the retail KK Silver.

The laser etching is generally what you look for, I have never seen an XTS prototype without it. If anyone tries to sell you one without the etching then they are likely trying to rip you off and the butt sticker would be needed. The fact that "XT" is used on some XTS proto butt stickers supports the fact that the retail Kuro Kage XT is the same shaft, just made available in multiple flexes and with a different finish. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

33 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

The XTS prototypes are unfortunately identical to the stock OEM Kuro Kage Silver shaft from that time period. The only visual difference is the laser etching @Gtyler14 mentioned and the label on the handle. The stock OEM Kuro Kage silver will have a label that reads something like "KR0S 70x" for a 70g X-flex, whereas the XTS will say something like "7XTS" or "70XT" for the 70g version, or sometimes nothing at all but serial numbers and their 11 digit product code. If you REALLY want to get picky, the TINI fibers are located in a different part of the tip with each shaft as well. They are in the inner core of the shaft on the XT/XTS and the outer wrap on the retail KK Silver.

The laser etching is generally what you look for, I have never seen an XTS prototype without it. If anyone tries to sell you one without the etching then they are likely trying to rip you off and the butt sticker would be needed. The fact that "XT" is used on some XTS proto butt stickers supports the fact that the retail Kuro Kage XT is the same shaft, just made available in multiple flexes and with a different finish. 

Ok so the xts and xt are exactly the same shaft then outside of the graphics? Is the exact one that Rory is using the xt 70tx then? I know he uses the xts 70 x but I just want to grab the EXACT same shaft spec wise that he plays in the retail version.

7 minutes ago, rorykoepka said:

Ok so the xts and xt are exactly the same shaft then outside of the graphics? Is the exact one that Rory is using the xt 70tx then? I know he uses the xts 70 x but I just want to grab the EXACT same shaft spec wise that he plays in the retail version.

That would be the XT70 in TX flex then, yes. I think the only reason that most of the XTS guys stuck with that particular version of the shaft was a preference for the black over the shiny silver ion finish of the XT. Rory also tips his between 1.5" to 2", but I wouldn't consider that unless you want a really tight feel and/or you bring his kind of speed. 

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Bridgestone 

3 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

That would be the XT70 in TX flex then, yes. I think the only reason that most of the XTS guys stuck with that particular version of the shaft was a preference for the black over the shiny silver ion finish of the XT. Rory also tips his between 1.5" to 2", but I wouldn't consider that unless you want a really tight feel and/or you bring his kind of speed. 

Awesome thanks! If I settle for the retail xt I’ll have to snag a xt 70tx. Hate to be that guy but I still want that xts 😂. Whether it’s the 60 xts or 70 xts hopefully I find one. Super helpful information

• Like 1

Interesting to see Rory go back to VB but all in by switching to the VB 8X in his 3 wood as well.  Must be working since he just won the CJ Cup.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

12 hours ago, J13 said:

Interesting to see Rory go back to VB but all in by switching to the VB 8X in his 3 wood as well.  Must be working since he just won the CJ Cup.

Yeah I thought that was interesting as well. He does not change fairway wood shafts much at all, but was loyal to Fujikura for a long time in the past. I wonder if they are doing something one-off for him under that paint job...

Bridgestone 

On 6/6/2021 at 5:27 PM, Valtiel said:

It is interesting given the timing, because obviously LOTS of dudes were influenced by Bryson's approach and each did their own thing with it. Adam Scott went 46" with the Ventus Red/Autoflex, back down to 45" now with the Ventus. Brenden Grace and Oosthuizen tried the AF. Rory went lighter with the Ventus Black. Lots of other guys messing with the long/light driver setup. In hindsight though it makes sense that Phil would be the one to find success with his version of this setup, the crazy 47-48" Driver / 2-wood combination, because its Phil...he's a goofball who loves this sort of thing. 😅

The interesting part is how one dude's success caused so many seasoned professionals to make significant changes, including Rory who has been arguably the best overall driver of the golf ball for like 8 years now. I guess it is a fine line between dancing with the one that brought you and hunting for a hotter date. 😵

Scott I thought was back to the graphite designs , albeit 7x in the driver vs the historical 8x

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

On 10/22/2021 at 10:47 PM, Valtiel said:

Yeah I thought that was interesting as well. He does not change fairway wood shafts much at all, but was loyal to Fujikura for a long time in the past. I wonder if they are doing something one-off for him under that paint job...

I wouldn't be surprised if Fuji personalized it for him but it would still be a ventus black just slightly tweaked.  

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

On 10/22/2021 at 7:47 PM, Valtiel said:

On 10/26/2021 at 7:26 AM, J13 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Fuji personalized it for him but it would still be a ventus black just slightly tweaked.  

nope. VB 8X. He used to play the Rombax P95 in 3w (you guys know this already) which the Ventus Red 9-X is closest to in EI profile. So seeing an 8X black speaks to the performance of VENTUS in lighter weights and likely pairs well with his driver feel. It surprised us even to see that one go in, but great to see he is liking it so far. Speculating that it is something else is a knock to our integrity 😞 If you have hit a VENTUS then you should know that there's no need to pull that old stunt.

• Like 4

http://fujikuragolf.com http://fujikuragolf.com/dealer-locator

4 minutes ago, Fujikura Golf said:

nope. VB 8X. He used to play the Rombax P95 in 3w (you guys know this already) which the Ventus Red 9-X is closest to in EI profile. So seeing an 8X black speaks to the performance of VENTUS in lighter weights and likely pairs well with his driver feel. It surprised us even to see that one go in, but great to see he is liking it so far. Speculating that it is something else is a knock to our integrity 😞 If you have hit a VENTUS then you should know that there's no need to pull that old stunt.

I do have to ask though…has DJ ever played a paint job shaft in the past made to look like something else? If not, we have nothing to ever speculate on going forward

6 minutes ago, Fujikura Golf said:

I'm still holding on to the P95 fairway shafts, and I have been interested in trying the Ventus Red 9x to see how they compare, but now this has me thinking maybe I should try the Ventus Black in a lighter weight. Thanks for the insight! 

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

4 hours ago, cvhookem63 said:

I'm still holding on to the P95 fairway shafts, and I have been interested in trying the Ventus Red 9x to see how they compare, but now this has me thinking maybe I should try the Ventus Black in a lighter weight. Thanks for the insight! 

Same here. I wish I held on to my p95 but seeing Rory in a VB 8x has me wanting to try one.  @Fujikura Golf your product ls have been making a lot of noise and gets more and more tempting to try the VB 8x. I know the red 8x felt good when I had one

3 minutes ago, Gtyler14 said:

Same here. I wish I held on to my p95 but seeing Rory in a VB 8x has me wanting to try one.  @Fujikura Golf your product ls have been making a lot of noise and gets more and more tempting to try the VB 8x. I know the red 8x felt good when I had one

I currently play the VB 7x in my driver and VB 8x in my 3 wood. Absolutely love both. Just ordered a VB 9x in a Sim2 5 wood. Extremely excited to give it a go.

SIM2 8 degree - Ventus Black 7x

SIM2 3 wood - Ventus Black 8x

Srixon ZX Utility 2 Iron - Ventus Black 10TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW - Project X 6.5

Mizuno T20 50/55/60 - Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

5 minutes ago, GMcKelvie said:

I currently play the VB 7x in my driver and VB 8x in my 3 wood. Absolutely love both. Just ordered a VB 9x in a Sim2 5 wood. Extremely excited to give it a go.

Wish you said you hated it…lol. I’m happy but my setup but it’s comments like that that make me want to say F it and get one

1 minute ago, Gtyler14 said:

Wish you said you hated it…lol. I’m happy but my setup but it’s comments like that that make me want to say F it and get one

I'm a huge Ventus lover tho, so you can take it for what it is. They did something special with the VeloCore...I'm a believer. 

• Like 1

SIM2 8 degree - Ventus Black 7x

SIM2 3 wood - Ventus Black 8x

Srixon ZX Utility 2 Iron - Ventus Black 10TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW - Project X 6.5

Mizuno T20 50/55/60 - Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

3 minutes ago, GMcKelvie said:

I'm a huge Ventus lover tho, so you can take it for what it is. They did something special with the VeloCore...I'm a believer. 

I can’t disagree with you. Seeing so many people switch says to the product Fuji put out. I like the red 8x I had but didn’t love the head it was in. I’ll eventually try one I’m sure

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fujikura Golf said:

Normally I wouldn't speculate about something like that for that exact reason, but there is a Ventus Black in the Taylormade video on building Rory's driver that very clearly has a material pattern in the handle indicating it isn't a normal Ventus:

2110015584_ScreenShot2021-08-14at1_52_02PM.png.d18581a6742862447fb1692a8680f683.png.9962bc59ad3579dd5dcdd1db8854ea82.png

I don't think we expect to be given all the answers here, but this is where that kind of speculation comes from. 

• Like 2

Bridgestone 

2 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Normally I wouldn't speculate about something like that for that exact reason, but there is a Ventus Black in the Taylormade video on building Rory's driver that very clearly has a material pattern in the handle indicating it isn't a normal Ventus:

2110015584_ScreenShot2021-08-14at1_52_02PM.png.d18581a6742862447fb1692a8680f683.png.9962bc59ad3579dd5dcdd1db8854ea82.png

I don't think we expect to be given all the answers here, but this is where that kind of speculation comes from. 

Fantastic catch! This looks nothing like the brand new Ventus Black that I have sitting next to me (just arrived yesterday). The label later in the video doesn't look right either.

ETA: I was able to get a better look at the label. I can read the top 2 lines; "Fujikura Components, Ventus Black 6 X" My guess is that the differences are primarily due to an early release version of the shaft???

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 4.20.14 PM.png

Edited by rebby
  • Like 1

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

7 hours ago, Fujikura Golf said:

I don't think anyone meant it that way.  Tour players have access to levels of customization that aren't accessible to others which completely makes sense seeing as they make a living playing the game.  No one knocks Titleist for creating 10 versions of the prov1.  

• Like 4

Edel PROTO