Player Impact Fund will turn the PGA Tour into the WWE

Monetising players for simply getting people to pay attention to them seems like a misguided idea. I suspect it will have the unintended consequences of encouraging players to behave poorly as being bad is the easiest way to get clicks. 

The Bryson v Brooksie feud seems to support this idea. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Netflix series that follows the life of up and coming PGA tour pro's

Yeah. Leave things alone. Golf will be fine. It was fine before Woods and will be fine after.  Stop the woke garbage and get back to tour golf at it's core. Remove the side show garbage  fro

My concern is that it won't be nearly as exciting and far more awkward than the WWE.    If it became like the WWE, id be fine with that.    Bryson 3:16 says I just kicked your a**!

Posted Images

Counterpoint: the PIP will encourage players to be more honest to the media and on social media.

We might actually find out who the real a******* are...

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 19* Hybrid
Srixon Z U45 23* Utility
Srixon ZX7 5 - AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore Mid Grind 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

My concern is that it won't be nearly as exciting and far more awkward than the WWE. 

If it became like the WWE, id be fine with that. 

Bryson 3:16 says I just kicked your a**!!!!

Now that id be fine with 

Can you smellllllllllllll what the Brooksie is cooking

• Like 3

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5” vs Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* w/ Rogue Max
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos 
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven TU, Seemore si3, si5, Directed Force Reno, PING Ketsch
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Shot Scope V3

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

24 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

I just not sure the PGA thought this through. Getting caught doing blow off a strippers glute (that is not firing) gets way more clicks then visiting kids in a children's hospital. 

Times are changing and Tiger woods is getting old, they needed some outside the box ideas and this what they came up with. Do you have a better idea?

Posted (edited)

It already has turned into WWE and actually worst. Bruce posted a video basically encouraging bad behavior. This is getting out of hand quickly. 

The Pga has allowed the tournament experience to be turned into a cesspool. Please throw them all out and demand dignaty and decorum. 

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 2
34 minutes ago, Loki said:

ANOTHER reality show? Would NEVER watch it, how boring. 

The question was about an idea to help drive fan interest. These shows seem to drive fans. The F1 series has been a great injection of new fans to the sport. 

• Like 2

I understand where everyone's coming from, but read George Plimpton's book The Bogey Man. Available on Amazon. Most entertaining golf book in the world. He talks a lot about life on the tour in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s. There were some serious characters and crazy shenanigans back then. I think the advent of TV enforced this false sort of gentlemanliness on the pro game.

13 hours ago, 2bGood said:

A Netflix series that follows the life of up and coming PGA tour pro's

I've been saying this for years...dunno how the golf channel developed and aired other shows from left field and had this under their nose and just let it slip by. 

Off the top of my head, shows they did that are worse than a basic "Last Chance U" type show: Pipe Dream, That Top Golf show (?), Robby Beershack (sic) driving range show, Half the seasons of the Haney show. 

I know they did one where they followed kids at the IJGA international academy for a season, but it was more "our parents have money so we're here" than "this is what life of a pro looks like". 

3 hours ago, 2bGood said:

The question was about an idea to help drive fan interest. These shows seem to drive fans. The F1 series has been a great injection of new fans to the sport. 

Was going to say that.  F1 Drive to Survive has brought a lot of people into it.  People do have to find out they were sold a dramatic interpretation of things that went on, but still, good draw for people.

Idk, I'd pay a substantial amount of money for it to be like WWE. Imagine Reed raking the sand in the bunker like he was doing a landscaping project again, except this time he catches a sweet chin music and gets put on his back while somebody drives a beer truck down the fairway and hoses him down with it. If that was happening, I'd never miss a minute of coverage, whereas I pretty much only watch the weekends of majors. I love golf, it's just that watching it is about as exciting to watch as turtles run a 100m sprint. 

Brooks= Lex Luger Torture Rack

Bryson= Super Fly Jimmy Snuka's "Superfly" Smash

Who wins?

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Tensei 1k 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Spongerob said:

Come on PGA Tour. This is golf not Nascar. I am better than this.  Get with me or lose me. Forever.

Fixed.  Like most changes, there is a healthy segment who enjoy or are intrigued by it.  

Edited by bubbagump
  • Like 1

G400 LST | SLDR MINI |PXG 0317x  

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

Fourteen RM Tour | TM Hi-Toe

Toulon Atlanta
WITB

7 hours ago, GatorNate11 said:

Idk, I'd pay a substantial amount of money for it to be like WWE. Imagine Reed raking the sand in the bunker like he was doing a landscaping project again, except this time he catches a sweet chin music and gets put on his back while somebody drives a beer truck down the fairway and hoses him down with it. If that was happening, I'd never miss a minute of coverage, whereas I pretty much only watch the weekends of majors. I love golf, it's just that watching it is about as exciting to watch as turtles run a 100m sprint. 

I just want to see people do WWE style promos before rounds. Get Michael Cole out there to stand in between Koepka and Bryson before the round 

"Bryson, Brooks said he's tiiiiiiired of your garbage and you're an embarrassment to the tour....Now what do youuuuu have to say about that?"

Cobra Radspeed XB 9 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70

Cobra F9 Tour 13 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 70

Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS tour Prototype 85
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 Flow Neck 385g

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, bubbagump said:

Fixed.  Like most changes, there is a healthy segment who enjoy or are intrigued by it.  

People yelling, heckling and acting like fools at a golf tournament is not intriguing unless you are studying the growth of entitlement in society. 

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 2
On 6/5/2021 at 9:35 AM, Used to be a 3 said:

I understand where everyone's coming from, but read George Plimpton's book The Bogey Man. Available on Amazon. Most entertaining golf book in the world. He talks a lot about life on the tour in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s. There were some serious characters and crazy shenanigans back then. I think the advent of TV enforced this false sort of gentlemanliness on the pro game.

This. 

I also see where folks are coming from here but PGA has stood for Perverts, Gamblers and Alcoholics for a long time.  The image of the PGA Tour is very carefully crafted - and that image crafting is well known.   

Plenty has gone on off course and at the facilities that doesn’t hit the headlines and might surprise some fans. The notion the tour is a league of “gentlemen” in terms of behavior (generally) is a nice thought but not 100% accurate.  

Personally, I don’t really care about those shenanigans as realistically these guys are young, make serious coin and are living the dream.  I’m not the morality police or the arbiter of right or wrong.  I’ve said this before  but if someone here was in their shoes - with all of the opportunities said fame and fortune open - you never know what you’d get into. 

To me, the back-and-forth drama with BK and BD is just some young guys jabbing one another.  I find it entertaining/funny - and then you get Tom Brady and other athletes involved on Twitter and only expand the game to a wider audience.  

As long as players respect the game, The Tour, demonstrate sportsmanship on course and do right by their sponsors/fans they can do what they want IMO - particularly when what’s happening now is pretty tame all things considered.  

I’ll keep tuning in to watch them all and be wowed and inspired along the way because these guys are in fact really, really good.